• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Proud_Smash_N00b

Smash Ace
A few questions:
1) what burns calories faster, swimming or running?

2) I'm trying to shed fat off my abs, thighs, and a**. What exercises would you recommend for me?

3) Is it possible to improve my metabolic rate? If so, how?

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
A few questions:
1) what burns calories faster, swimming or running?

2) I'm trying to shed fat off my abs, thighs, and a**. What exercises would you recommend for me?

3) Is it possible to improve my metabolic rate? If so, how?
1) I think they're about the same as far as calories. Swimming will eventually get you a more streamlined look, running helps define muscles. If you have legs problems like sore knees and shin splints from running, swimming is zero impact. Try both!

2) You can't spot reduce (which means burn fat off a specific spot). Stick with the swimming or running if you're main goal is to lose fat. And to supplement that, I would suggest any normal stomach routine, google will help with that. For thighs and butt you could try leg presses.

3)Eating healthy, drinking lots of water, and getting 8 hours of sleep is all I can think of.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
Swimming is zero impact, but that doesn't mean you can't injure yourself. It's pretty common to injure your shoulder when swimmng freestyle or your knee when swimming breaststroke. Last summer I dislocated my right shoulder twice in one month swimming butterfly (it popped right back in afterwards, but it hurt.)

you can also bump your head on the bottom, stub your fingers on the wall, drown, etc.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Swimming is such an intense work-out.

Too bad I'm too scared of an empty pool to do anything.

NullVortex

Smash Apprentice
Deep in the Middle of I-Suck-At-MeleeVille
Lol. He's underwater cause he's drowning.

And I said I weighed the same, I don't think I burned 400 calories. Geez, isn't the SWF gym a bunch of knuckleheads...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43puJpgx6GU

^Amazing athletes.
The Ironman triathlon. 2.4 km swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run (If I recall correctly, it might be miles for the swim). I'm doing that in 4 years. I got this.

Did my first triathlon a few weeks ago with only 3 weeks of training. And by training I mean 3 weeks learning how to swim so that I didn't drown during the half-mile swim. I think I did pretty good considering the circumstances, but I definitely learned my lesson.

Also, since I've been slacking on my pics. Here's a pic of me this year. I still look like this even though it's a month or two old.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c324/AznDuDe092/sexy.jpg

Yeah, I needa work on my pecs a bit. And the lighting is an advantage of course. But that's the most recent picture I could find. Rate or advice?

PS I wasn't flexing my legs. It was supposed to be an upper body shot.

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace
hey strong guys, I need some advice. like I have been working out for almost 2 years, but only lately have I been serious, like since christmas pretty much.

My problem I'm trying to get advice for is the fact that I have a small frame, and would like to either somehow get a bigger torso, or give the illusion of a bigger torso. like I'm 5'6 and weigh 160. Since christmas I've lost like 25 pounds, uped my weight in chest lifts, and increased weight and reps substantially for ab exercises. I've basically got stronger with every part of my body, but I'm not getting "big".

Like how can I make my pecs/abs .....stick out further I guess for a lack of better words. should I up weight decrease reps, or up reps and decrease weight?

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
Thanks for the advice but I don't understand what you mean by 'steamlined.'
im not sure either...

hey strong guys, I need some advice. like I have been working out for almost 2 years, but only lately have I been serious, like since christmas pretty much.

My problem I'm trying to get advice for is the fact that I have a small frame, and would like to either somehow get a bigger torso, or give the illusion of a bigger torso. like I'm 5'6 and weigh 160. Since christmas I've lost like 25 pounds, uped my weight in chest lifts, and increased weight and reps substantially for ab exercises. I've basically got stronger with every part of my body, but I'm not getting "big".

Like how can I make my pecs/abs .....stick out further I guess for a lack of better words. should I up weight decrease reps, or up reps and decrease weight?
read my post here: http://www.gamerhold.com/forum/index.php?topic=17149.0

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace
ok, now I have a few more questions, when I bench should I just be doing like 3 sets of 10 or something to add the mass or whatever then, or should it be like 10, 8, failure, or 10, 8, 6, failure? or idk

also, your ab paragraphs made me sad face. So all the like 1000 sit ups I do on my ab day at the gym are in vein? Like I new you had to have a certain body fat percentage for your abs to show period, but I was hoping to just make my abs bigger, whether or not they showed up in a six pack or not.

and it said that lifting weight is better at burning fat than cardio. I usually lift for 1 to 2 hours, then run for 35 minutes, should I just spend that 35 minutes on lifting more?

edit: and about how long do you wait to re work out the same muscle group, I usually wait 4-5 days, can I redo them faster than that, or is that about right?

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Something I saw in the guide: what is veggie mince?

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
im gonna join here--motivational tool

debut--

im 23, female, and yes, i did the pushup--i dont do floor pushups(haha, i do wallups--thanks cosmo) but i hopped on the floor and did a whopping 3!! i was surprised since it had been literally at least a yr since id done a reg pushup--maybe wallups have helped with my arm/upper back strength.

ive always had a curvy bod, in high school i worked out all the time and was very happy with how i looked-and felt; my senior yr, i started partying and slacking HARD-gained a ton of weight.
i stopped working out completely. then i went to my friend's son's bday party and saw a pic she snapped...i compared it to my other pics and finally saw the downspiral.

never saw it in the mirror--i woke up one day and said, "wtf, im fat?!" seeing the pics side by side helped me see things rt. so, i picked an exercise routine--not too seriously in the beginning but, as i play more vid games, i find myself wanting to exercise before and after...wierd, imo.

for the last 2 months--since i started on swf/playing ssb, ive been keeping to a good diet-2 sweets a week--2 cookies to be exact, smaller portions, replacing sodas with water, and reg exercises--wallups, walking my apt building (i have a dog and he loves to walk for hours so he's like my support group), squats, etc. i ONLY take the stairs anywhere i go.

so, a couple days ago, i took a pic to compare to one of my fb profile pic--seeing results in pics is so much easier than seeing them in the mirror.

2 months ago:

~2 days ago:

idk if people can see a difference, but i sure can--i feel different too.
btw-couldnt locate my fb pic so i took a picture of that pic--that's why you cant see my face.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
@MLEsis: You look much better! Keep it up :D

Oh, and I never actually introduced myself, so here goes~

I'm 13 (please don't judge me by my age,) female, above average weight, and decently athletic. I've been involved in competitive swimming since first grade. I had no problems with my weight until fall of sixth grade, when I suddenly started gaining about two pounds a month. It stopped in the spring, but it started again in seventh grade, and then it stopped. This year though I've completely lost my motivation for many things, one of them being swimming, and I snack way too much. I sometimes ditch 2 out of 3 swim practices. I knew I was gaining weight but couldn't get myself to do anything about it. I felt horrible.
Then this week I got a wake up call. My school does a fitness testing thing. I got 11 laps on a run, while last year I got 13, and 2 seconds on the flex arm hang when last year I could get 20. It was a pretty big shock.
I've vowed to ban McDonalds, and some snack items from my diet. I'm also gonna make myself go to swim practice and not slack, because seriously, I'm sick of feeling guilty.

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
thanks global, i appreciate the encouragement and no judgements concerning age. weight doesnt discriminate.

fast food restaurants are overrated--i save soo much money by not going to them--i do go twice a month, but i keep a STRICT rule on that.

i go grocery shopping-although i dont get the "healthy, organic" food, i do pay attention to what im buying and how i can prepare it the best way for me.

ie--fried chicken-
chicken breasts cooked in the frying pan with no breading or oil--i spray pan with pam before i cook to prevent sticking. *when you use the frying pan, are you not, in fact, frying something?

fries--potatoes chopped in pieces with spices, baked in the oven.

hamburgers--make your own, it's a good way to learn how to cook and experiment with new flavors
*try ground turkey instead of ground beef--cant taste the difference.

i used to go shopping with my mom, that's how i learned better eating habits. and i always cook just enough for dinner and lunch the next day.

Attila_

BRoomer
busy busy

ok, now I have a few more questions, when I bench should I just be doing like 3 sets of 10 or something to add the mass or whatever then, or should it be like 10, 8, failure, or 10, 8, 6, failure? or idk

also, your ab paragraphs made me sad face. So all the like 1000 sit ups I do on my ab day at the gym are in vein? Like I new you had to have a certain body fat percentage for your abs to show period, but I was hoping to just make my abs bigger, whether or not they showed up in a six pack or not.

and it said that lifting weight is better at burning fat than cardio. I usually lift for 1 to 2 hours, then run for 35 minutes, should I just spend that 35 minutes on lifting more?

edit: and about how long do you wait to re work out the same muscle group, I usually wait 4-5 days, can I redo them faster than that, or is that about right?
1. you should aim to do 3 sets of 10 reps at first, but adjust the weight so that you physically cant do 11 reps. 10 reps should be failure.
2. abs get bigger with steroids, but your testicles get smaller. your choice.
3. running is good for you anyway. its not all about looks; your heart and lungs need a workout too. just cut it back to a few times a week.
4. at least 48 hours. there isnt any strict literature on it, as it varies with individuals, sleeping habits, dietary factors, etc etc. minimum 2 days though (espc for beginners).

another small question
Are fibers useful when trying to lose weight?
fibre (thats how we spell in australia) keeps you fuller for longer. so you eat less often. you your calorie intake goes down. hella useful.

Something I saw in the guide: what is veggie mince?
lean mince meat with vegetables mixed in.

Whats everyone opinion on supplements like Creatine?
didnt seem to work for me, but i know people who swear by it.

in theory it works in two ways:
1. give the body more creatine which can be used as an initial energy supply (ATP-CP system) for short term exercise
2. increase water retention in muscles thus speeding up recovery

shouldnt be used over a really long period of time though, cause it makes life difficult for your kidneys and liver. oh, and dont use it if you want to cut up: water weight can make you look a little fatter then you actually are.

try it out, see if it works for you.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Organic food doesn't mean it's healthy, just that's it's not grown with pesticides and other things usually.

I like eating salads lots. I didn't realize how important my mom's salads were until I left college and tried eating not salads everyday. How do people go to the bathroom without a salad in their stomach?

MLEsis: I can see a difference in ur pics. Don't worry about. Just don't slack off and keep working at it and stuff. Don't worry about seeing results. The important part is how you feel.

So gaiz I have question. I want to lose 20 fat pounds but keep all the muscle I have. Wat do? Should I just keep working out and wait until all that fat is converted into muscle? that'll be a while. Also could you guys give me some quick workout tips that are like good workouts for 30 mins? I have access to a really good gym.

205 lbs 6'1"

Would it be good if I uploaded a pic for you guys to see?

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
fat does not 'convert' into muscle.. its very hard to build muscle while losing fat. this is why bodybuilders alternate between bulking and cutting. but, if you want to go middle of the road, lift heavy in your 30 mins at the gym and swim/run/hiit with a healthy calorie intake and youll see progress over time

trademark0013

Smash Champion
i'd suggest jus do what ur doing, but eat amazingly better.

and there is no middle road. its one or the other. u'll build muscle and burn fat ragardless, just one will/should outweigh the other.

and yea, fat doesnt get converted. muscle grows under fat.

Attila_

BRoomer
fat does not 'convert' into muscle.. its very hard to build muscle while losing fat. this is why bodybuilders alternate between bulking and cutting. but, if you want to go middle of the road, lift heavy in your 30 mins at the gym and swim/run/hiit with a healthy calorie intake and youll see progress over time
should mention that muscle itself, and the process that builds and maintains muscle in itself burns fat. you can do both if you have your priorities right.

bodybuilders 'bulk' and 'cut' because they cant stay at there cut size for long, cause the dieting is crazy strict, and they actually become extremely unhealthy and lethargic during this stage (so they cant even train properly). also, a high diet of carbs makes it easier to build size, but not by a large degree.

global-wolf

Smash Champion
na i have to call u on this one. if u give it a while, i'm sure u'll naturally change once puberty kicks in if u keep swimming and dont eat like ish
I meant my maturity level, lol.

I started puberty a couple years ago, so I doubt much more is gonna change because of that. but yeah, I'm gonna keep swimming, and try to eat well. xD

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
imo, puberty changed everything--made it harder to work out cause a certain pair things kept getting in the way--for real, they can knock the wind out of ya!!

ok, today was my last day of spring classes so im kicking up my workout--hold me to it guys!
from 15-20 min (what ive been doing) up to 30-40.
yeah, 15 min, i think that's appropriate.

my plan is to have one main workout for about 30-40min but have mini workouts throughout the day; like just bust out and do some crunches, squats, then finish each mini with a couple laps round my apt complex--walk no run.

lol, i gained weight, thanks be to the pill for that shiz. doc says it's water weight, a side effect, she also said that being on this should help any sweet cravings but adds weight to your top(johns) plus the water weight.
johns, johns some more,

*johning my *** off*

adding three more johns...john, john, john.
ok, i think im over it...moving on--off for a walk 'fore i call it a night!

btw-thanks thesage, pictures yes! plz

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer

I started puberty a couple years ago, so I doubt much more is gonna change because of that. but yeah, I'm gonna keep swimming, and try to eat well. xD
Oh honey, you have no idea. As someone else said. I've gone up and down with my weight over the past 8-10 years, and it's gone up and down quite drastically. I think I've only just about found a comfortable spot to be in. I mean, I'd love to be a bit slimmer, but I at least know I'm fit.

Did 7kms on the treadmill today, so looking forward to doing my first 8km marathon on Sunday. : D

UPDATE!

Just ran my 8km marathon, did it in about 50mins, feeling very good. :D

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
My summer break just started and now I have to go find a new gym for the next three months. The local rec center has memberships starting at $60 for adults. SIXTY DOLLARS.

I don't remember it being that expensive. Before I turned 18, it was $8...

Queen B. Kyon

Smash Master
My summer break just started and now I have to go find a new gym for the next three months. The local rec center has memberships starting at $60 for adults. SIXTY DOLLARS.

I don't remember it being that expensive. Before I turned 18, it was $8...
I remember in the past you talking about being in the gym. I just started with simple push ups last night. Im sure I'll go further but for now. Push ups already give me pains. But I'll keep it up. So I can look as good as you sweetface ;o

deepseadiva

3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
YOU PEOPLE BEST BE WORKIN

I barely got my membership this week. I'm going for the full five days a week now, no soda, healthier eating choices overall, I'm just on errthing.

kewl

Smash Ace
NNID
Kewlz3
I just stumbled upon this thread. Maybe I could get some advice.
I'm 172 lbs, 5'5-5'6 and I'd love to get down to around 150 lbs by Apex (and of course get more in shape after that.)

Any advice on what I should do? Exercise routines and/or diet plans would be nice. (:

Top Bottom