• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Shök

Smash Champion
The Smash World Forums Gym is sponsored and part by:​

The athelete-gamer's drink!

:062:

>_>

<_<​

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
you can do crunches or planks or various other ab workotus, but do try to work them into a full routine. the only way to see your abs is by losing the body fat covering them. so just keep doing full body workouts and eating right and everything will take care of itself. there are no shortcuts when it comes to fitness

altho this was my ab workout before starting crossfit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izDf0MCR2DU I just did as many sets of 10 each as I could every couple days.

Cauterize

Smash Cadet
What can I do to work my abs out? Ive got my upper body toned to my liking and now I just want my stomach to match it.
I would suggest squats if you have access to a squat rack (not a smith machine) They are great because your legs and all of your core have to support all the weight. So you won't just be getting abs, but quads, lower back, obliques, etc.

usually, people already have abs, they just need to burn the layer of fat over their stomach. Cardio such as jogging will help you burn it off :D

-

and now for a little something about me, since I'm new to this thread

I'm 5'6 and 145 lb. My main goals for right now are to develop more upper back, chest, and shoulder strength. My legs and lower back are perfectly fine where they are at right now, but I still want to further develop them.
I hate powercleans and bench but I love squats and deadlift. Thus my underdevoloped upper body :p
Right now I just need to stop neglecting upper body workouts and I will reach my goal in time :D Lately I've been doing pull-ups (Straight arm, no kipping. All the way up and all the way down) and they've been helping a bit and I like doing them :p

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
pullups are so fun :pikachu2: I got a pullup bar for xmas and it's like my fav gift, I do like 100 pullups a day. My crossfit exercise for yesterday was 7 single-rep sets of weighted pullups. I got up to +70 lbs wide grip :067: my long term goal for pullups is to someday be able to do a true one-handed pullup :062:

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I would suggest squats if you have access to a squat rack (not a smith machine) They are great because your legs and all of your core have to support all the weight. So you won't just be getting abs, but quads, lower back, obliques, etc.

usually, people already have abs, they just need to burn the layer of fat over their stomach. Cardio such as jogging will help you burn it off :D

-

and now for a little something about me, since I'm new to this thread

I'm 5'6 and 145 lb. My main goals for right now are to develop more upper back, chest, and shoulder strength. My legs and lower back are perfectly fine where they are at right now, but I still want to further develop them.
I hate powercleans and bench but I love squats and deadlift. Thus my underdevoloped upper body :p
Right now I just need to stop neglecting upper body workouts and I will reach my goal in time :D Lately I've been doing pull-ups (Straight arm, no kipping. All the way up and all the way down) and they've been helping a bit and I like doing them :p
where have you been hiding this whole time? i think you and i will quickly become best friends.

Omis

my friends were skinny
The problem with trying to work out my core is that it always seems to hurt my back more than it works out my abs. It just gets uncomfortable after too long.

REL38

Smash Lord
So guys, how can I get myself into doing a daily routine of exercise?

When it comes to these types of things, I have a lot of trouble with keeping consistency
As in, I'll do my workout for 3 days, but slack off and stop for over a week :/

Kira-

Smash Champion
Sup.. just started going to the gym 5 weeks ago (aka just finished my 5th week). It's pretty awesome, I'm lovin it so far. I'm 157 lbs (5'10") and I'm tryna get to 170 by June.. I don't even know if that's possible but if I don't get it I'm not gonna kill myself over it. I think 165 is probably reasonable? I actually have no idea lol

I go about 3-4 times a week and I've been trying to change my diet to eat a LOT more, although that has been the most difficult part. But either way I like goin up to the gym and it's a lot of fun. You know it's great cause you never feel bad afterwards.. only accomplished.

Anyway just sayin hi that's all. My workout is like 15-20 mins of cardio before each workout:
Mon - back/bi
Tues - chest/tri
Wed - break
Thurs - abs/core
Fri - legs

I work shoulders in there somewhere, usually Tuesday and/or Thursday. Is it alright to only work out one area once a week? I dunno if I should do more or not. Also... I had another question but I forgot. I think I care more about what my abs look like but I'm doin everything anywa so it's all good.

Oh yeah I remember. Does it matter how many exercises you fit into one day? I heard that "less is more" is a good motto.. aka do less exercises + lower reps but heavier weight to gain weight faster. Anyone know if this is true?

Cauterize

Smash Cadet
The problem with trying to work out my core is that it always seems to hurt my back more than it works out my abs. It just gets uncomfortable after too long.
Is this because the core workouts you do are ones that have you lie on your back? If so I would suggest front/side planks and hanging leg raises
do less exercises + lower reps but heavier weight to gain weight faster. Anyone know if this is true??
Lower reps and heavier weight generally will give you bigger gains but you always want to mix it up. If you do the same thing over and over again your muscles will get accustomed to it and you will plateau and not get any more gains. A rough example of what I do is 1 week I'll go heavy and low reps, the next I'll go light with many reps, and then the next week I'll do workouts that work the same muscle groups but deviate from my normal routine (like instead of my normal squat workout I'll superset on the quad + hamstring machines and do weighted jump lunges)

So in conclusion, yes heavier + lower reps work but don't do them all the time ;)

trademark0013

Smash Champion
Right now I just need to stop neglecting upper body workouts and I will reach my goal in time :D
thats interesting. most people do only upper body to get the "pretty" muscles. lol
depending on how much it hurts is what it is.
if ur back is just more sore or a bit strained it means u need to work on ur back more. if its more stressed or sharp then ur form is wrong
So guys, how can I get myself into doing a daily routine of exercise?

When it comes to these types of things, I have a lot of trouble with keeping consistency
As in, I'll do my workout for 3 days, but slack off and stop for over a week :/
motivation is dif for different people. after the initial few weeks and/or gains, thats usually enuff. for me it was my girl, then feeling weak (most of my friends and people on campus are athletes so i look bad by comparison). now its me looking in the mirror with my shirt off and not liking it.
You know it's great cause you never feel bad afterwards.. only accomplished.

Is it alright to only work out one area once a week? I dunno if I should do more or not.

Oh yeah I remember. Does it matter how many exercises you fit into one day? I heard that "less is more" is a good motto.. aka do less exercises + lower reps but heavier weight to gain weight faster. Anyone know if this is true?
1. so tru

2. yea, thats fine. should try and work til exhaustion on those days

3. depends on routine, but initially yea thats tru.

Attila_

BRoomer
Is this because the core workouts you do are ones that have you lie on your back? If so I would suggest front/side planks and hanging leg raises

Lower reps and heavier weight generally will give you bigger gains but you always want to mix it up. If you do the same thing over and over again your muscles will get accustomed to it and you will plateau and not get any more gains. A rough example of what I do is 1 week I'll go heavy and low reps, the next I'll go light with many reps, and then the next week I'll do workouts that work the same muscle groups but deviate from my normal routine (like instead of my normal squat workout I'll superset on the quad + hamstring machines and do weighted jump lunges)

So in conclusion, yes heavier + lower reps work but don't do them all the time ;)
evidently i spoke too soon...

Kira-

Smash Champion
I see, thanks guys.

Yea I try to mix up the exercises every week but I'll mix up the reps as well.

Cauterize

Smash Cadet
when you talked about squats being an amazing core exercise, i thought your views were similar to mine. but, i disagree with most of your next post O_o
Well they are an amazing core exercise. I'm just going off the assumption that the guy I was trying to help is doing the "normal" core workouts such as crunches and situps and such so I gave him other workouts similar to those that will give the same results. If he does have access to a squat rack and actually knows how to squats then yes, by all means he should do squats. they're great for all around core.
And you may not agree on the example workout routine I stated and that's okay. It works for me, but everyone is different.

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry about it Cauterize. Everything you said in that post was correct, and good advice too. Don't mind Shnot, he's been wrong about a few other things in this thread as well.

Attila_

BRoomer
Don't worry about it Cauterize. Everything you said in that post was correct, and good advice too. Don't mind Shnot, he's been wrong about a few other things in this thread as well.
there's no need for personal attacks.

i didn't say anything he said was wrong, i simply said that i disagree. difference.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Could anybody explain to me why I was able to push out twelve consecutive pull-ups on the very first day of exercising, but now after a couple of sessions and being more fit I struggle to make even five consecutive? I'm not sure if you can believe that but even if it wasn't twelve I know it was a double-digit number.

I think it might've been due to going for the sit-ups as the very first exercise, but I can't remember. I run for about an hour on the elliptical (goodness what a work out. ~500 calories burned average, and nothing lower than 40 RPM, which is about ~15+ KM/H), then do some curls, squats, push-ups, and then I get to sit-ups. I'm not sure if any of the exercises I just mentioned may tire out the muscles needed to perform a sit-up, but I could be wrong on that and maybe it's just a mental block I put in front of myself?

Thanks for reading.

P.S. is there any way to thicken to shin? I'm not sure if it's just a matter of not eating enough, but I can feel the bone right there and it's an uncomfortable feeling and probably doesn't look good while I'm building up my calves. :X

While we're at it, what's the part of your body called where it's above the shin but below the pelvic area? Both the Front and Back sides, I'm not sure what either are called. I think the insides are called thighs and the outsides are the hips (maybe that's too high, around the buttocks level?), but It's been so long since I've cared so much about looking somewhat good (even though I am already moreorless happy with my figure) and actually being somewhat physically fit. Bleh, what a long P.S., forgive me.

Attila_

BRoomer
Could anybody explain to me why I was able to push out twelve consecutive pull-ups on the very first day of exercising, but now after a couple of sessions and being more fit I struggle to make even five consecutive? I'm not sure if you can believe that but even if it wasn't twelve I know it was a double-digit number.

I think it might've been due to going for the sit-ups as the very first exercise, but I can't remember. I run for about an hour on the elliptical (goodness what a work out. ~500 calories burned average, and nothing lower than 40 RPM, which is about ~15+ KM/H), then do some curls, squats, push-ups, and then I get to sit-ups. I'm not sure if any of the exercises I just mentioned may tire out the muscles needed to perform a sit-up, but I could be wrong on that and maybe it's just a mental block I put in front of myself?

Thanks for reading.

P.S. is there any way to thicken to shin? I'm not sure if it's just a matter of not eating enough, but I can feel the bone right there and it's an uncomfortable feeling and probably doesn't look good while I'm building up my calves. :X

While we're at it, what's the part of your body called where it's above the shin but below the pelvic area? Both the Front and Back sides, I'm not sure what either are called. I think the insides are called thighs and the outsides are the hips (maybe that's too high, around the buttocks level?), but It's been so long since I've cared so much about looking somewhat good (even though I am already moreorless happy with my figure) and actually being somewhat physically fit. Bleh, what a long P.S., forgive me.
you might still be tired from another session, might not have slept properly, might be tired from other exercises, or might've developed (or be in the process of developing) an injury of some description. it happens. try to control these factors as much as possible and youll be fine.

you cant really thicken the shin in that sense, without continuously breaking it of (WHICH I DO NOT RECOMMEND). although weight training will steadily build it from the inside.

front: quadriceps (quads)
back: hamstrings (hammies)

you're hips are actually located on the bones that stick out from your sides at around belly-button level. most people get this wrong and confuse it with the greater trochanter, which is actually part of your leg bone (femur). so now you know.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I doubt it might have been any muscle tearing or injury of any kind. Although I like to push myself; I'm not about to kill myself to get ripped in a short amount of time. I can wait. I did not however consider the sleep (or lack therof), and I suppose I could also make it a habit to try to get some rest the nights prior.

How would I go about working my shins? If there's a way I'll see about it; but if it can't be done without equipment/machinery, I won't feel too bad. All I have is an elliptical, a Bow-Flex machine (which if necessary I can ask my step-dad how to help me set it up, and save you some trouble), and some of those small weights to do curls, which clearly won't do anything for shins.

Thanks for letting me know all this, I appreciate it. I'll get that body.

Also since it looks like I may be coming here more often, I'll probably post a little bio of myself, maybe a picture of the progress made so far, and my goals; although I don't really have a set goal *** much as I do just to maintain a good figure and some physical strength. Yes.

Attila_

BRoomer
good for you. i recommend posting a pic so we can do a before-and-after comparison. plus it helps keep you honest.

in my experience, nothing you do is going to build up your shin (bone) but you can help your calf a little bit (although typically they are very resistant to growth, and people born with big calves will always have big calves). i find that sprinting up hills works best. the more incline the better.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Does that power thirst guy actually exist or is it just a super photoshop job?

Oh yeah and I haven't posted a progress picture in ages.(Nice and wet for everyone)

BEFORE

AFTER

I can't bulk up at all.It's just maintaining tone Im doing at the moment.I had some super abs going there for a while.Then stopped working them out.....:(

I think I need a gym and some supplements.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I can't bulk up at all.It's just maintaining tone Im doing at the moment.I had some super abs going there for a while.Then stopped working them out.....:(

I think I need a gym and some supplements.
Same. I got a sassy black woman as a PT to rewrite my program to include supersets of high-intensity cardio instead. It seems to be working, since bulking up does not, without life dedication.

RATED

Smash Lord
Hi people I need halp, I am 5'3 and my weight is 147.5 pounds, I would like to get to 132 pounds. so is like 15 pounds. what kind of "exercise" of " diet" can u recommend me ?

I am thinking of leaving Soda and the "cinnamon cakes" that I eat almost everyday of the week. since I know soda is bad at excess.

what do u think ? since I don't know anything about fitness or anything like that

and how much calories is healthy to burn each day?

Cauterize

Smash Cadet
Hi people I need halp, I am 5'3 and my weight is 147.5 pounds, I would like to get to 132 pounds. so is like 15 pounds. what kind of "exercise" of " diet" can u recommend me ?

I am thinking of leaving Soda and the "cinnamon cakes" that I eat almost everyday of the week. since I know soda is bad at excess.

what do u think ? since I don't know anything about fitness or anything like that

and how much calories is healthy to burn each day?
You don't really need to go on any kind of diet. Just start eating healthier! Leaving out the cinnamon cakes and soda is a great start.
Jogging can be a great way to burn off fat. I would suggest jogging everyday or atleast every other day for a good amount of time (prolly about 1-3 miles to start with, then adding miles when you feel you can)

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Tried pilates for the first time with a reformer bed today. Was actually pretty cool (although it does make me feel like I'm in some weird bondage machine...), got some decent thigh work in I reckon. Might try doing it every other week or so, as I still very much enjoy my kickboxing group classes as well which is on at the same time.

Although I still went for a 20 minute run afterwards. :]

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Ashley, could I get more info signing up for the fun run on Mother's day? I can totally envisage doing a 7 kilometer run listening to the FFXIII OST.

Attila_

BRoomer

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Thanks Meno!

I can't believe the green/white ranger is doing MMA.

I hope he can still summon the Megazord.

Either that or he has to have the original power rangers theme as his entrance.

Top Bottom