• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SWF GYM:(Injuries abound XD)

Have you worked out today?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 83.9%
  • I will right now.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I weightlifted a day or 2 ago and now my chest aches. I always forget how tender you feel afterwards, it's like drinking, it never feels worth it the morning after.

Also this thread is so homoerotic.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
BMI is something completely different. ignore it. its stupid. i have a body fat percentage of <10%, and BMI calls me overweight. it doesnt account for muscle.
ur thinkin of the body mass index, which yes is stupid. theres a machine that u hold out in from of you for a few seconds and it tells u. u have to enter your height and weight first, plus your fitness level since muscle weighs more than fat and the machine might read it wrong.

i think if u go to a personal trainer and ask em they'll have a way to measure bf%

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
I weightlifted a day or 2 ago and now my chest aches. I always forget how tender you feel afterwards, it's like drinking, it never feels worth it the morning after.

if you train regularly over a sustained period of time, you rarely get sore. fact.

ur thinkin of the body mass index, which yes is stupid. theres a machine that u hold out in from of you for a few seconds and it tells u. u have to enter your height and weight first, plus your fitness level since muscle weighs more than fat and the machine might read it wrong.

i think if u go to a personal trainer and ask em they'll have a way to measure bf%
most pts aren't qualified to do it properly/accurately. and machines are dodgy at best.

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer

I personally love that feeling. As long as I can still move. It's like 'yes I've worked hard'. Haha. ;x

Also just signed up to do an 8km fun run on Mother's Day! I'm currently doing 4-6km 3 times a week at the gym, so I think I should be able to do another 2km. :]

Attila_

BRoomer
I personally love that feeling. As long as I can still move. It's like 'yes I've worked hard'. Haha. ;x

Also just signed up to do an 8km fun run on Mother's Day! I'm currently doing 4-6km 3 times a week at the gym, so I think I should be able to do another 2km. :]
do it with teamMONASH! we'll do it together, and youll get a uniform!

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
if you train regularly over a sustained period of time, you rarely get sore. fact.
Ur doin it wrong. You should be focusing on different body parts and exercises each workout, and you should be very sore after most days at the gym. Or at least, more often than "rarely."

You're right if you mean they won't get sore if they keep getting in better shape, yet stay stuck doing the same workouts. But people need to lift more.

Attila_

BRoomer
Ur doin it wrong. You should be focusing on different body parts and exercises each workout, and you should be very sore after most days at the gym. Or at least, more often than "rarely."

You're right if you mean they won't get sore if they keep getting in better shape, yet stay stuck doing the same workouts. But people need to lift more.
Don't assume things about me. I lift 5/6 times a week. And I change it up consistently. How many people do you know who have even heard of Turkish Getups or Bosu Jumping Pistol Squats, let alone do them? I do more than my fair share of variation, don't you worry. An d I haven't plateaued in anything for as long as I can remember. Perhaps you're doing it wrong?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
do it with teamMONASH! we'll do it together, and youll get a uniform!
She's doing this with team... itchyfeet... LOL.

Her mommy's doing it too.

A. MAZING. MOMMY. <33333

I'm going to join the fun run! Sassy black chick PT has me on a full program of cardio, complete with supersets that make me wanna hit something for dying.

D

Deleted member

I'll give some information about myself:

My height is 5' 11". I weigh about 120 pounds (Very skinny for my age), I am fifteen turning sixteen this April. I also tend to eat a lot sometimes, especially unhealthy foods like pizza. When I eat in the school cafeteria, I like to eat pizza, ice cream sandwich for dessert, and drink milk on Monday and Friday (Sometimes, that changes), eat chicken sandwich, chicken nuggets, ice cream sandwich for dessert, and milk on Tuesday, eat at a church on Wednesday, and bring my own lunch on Thursday.

I also stay on the computer for way too long.

So here are my goals:

1. To get to 140 pounds in a healthy manner.
2. Become stronger naturally.
3. Learn how to control how much time I spend on the computer.
4. Eat healthier.

One thing I plan to do is follow this plan: http://scoobysworkshop.com/schedbeginning.htm

Help would really be apperaticed.

Attila_

BRoomer
you already know what's wrong with your diet, it's just about changing things.

and that guy definitely doesn't follow that program. just saying.

D

Deleted member

you already know what's wrong with your diet, it's just about changing things.

and that guy definitely doesn't follow that program. just saying.
I will defindently change my diet in school. I'll try to get the lunch menu from my school and bring it here.

He may not follow the program, but I'll try to do it as closely as possible.

Attila_

BRoomer
i only said it so you know that you won't look like him with that program. just in case you thought you could.

D

Deleted member

i only said it so you know that you won't look like him with that program. just in case you thought you could.
Oohh, that. I understand now, but thanks for letting me know anyway.

All I care about is getting to 140 pounds and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
Don't assume things about me. I lift 5/6 times a week. And I change it up consistently. How many people do you know who have even heard of Turkish Getups or Bosu Jumping Pistol Squats, let alone do them? I do more than my fair share of variation, don't you worry. An d I haven't plateaued in anything for as long as I can remember. Perhaps you're doing it wrong?

I'm sure your workouts are pretty intense. (brb, youtubing what those exercises are.... not impressed...) But if you are never sore after your workouts, then you're not pushing it to the next level. I don't doubt your resolve to train your body to the maximum amount at all, but it sounded like you were advising some people less experienced than us that "if they are in shape, they shouldn't get sore," which is not true.

Attila_

BRoomer
I'm sure your workouts are pretty intense. (brb, youtubing what those exercises are.... not impressed...) But if you are never sore after your workouts, then you're not pushing it to the next level. I don't doubt your resolve to train your body to the maximum amount at all, but it sounded like you were advising some people less experienced than us that "if they are in shape, they shouldn't get sore," which is not true.
what's not impressive about those exercises btw? i probably should've specified that i do my turkish getups with a barbell, but even so, both are exercises that only a handful of gym goers can actually do. try them, try them again properly, then get back to me. and the fact that you didnt know what they were, discredited them without trying them, and then put yourself on my level (reminding you that you dont actually know me or my training habits at all either) with 'people less experienced than us' is pretty **** arrogant.

your response is short, but contradictory multiply times, seemingly in order to soften your argument. im direct. i dont like it when people bubble wrap what they wanna say. you can say 'i dont doubt your resolve' and then 'youre not pushing it to the next level' cause they stand in direct opposition to each other. im not an idiot, please dont treat me like one.

i never said that if someone was in shape, they wouldnt get sore. dont put words in my mouth. the body adapts to training. this is physiological fact. the muscle tissues in the body adapt to the strain you give them, and as such, you gradually get less and less sore. i didnt saw im never sore, either.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
ty trademark

shmot quit trying to sound exotic. also, you said "if you train regularly over a sustained period of time, you rarely get sore. fact." i am sore like every day, and the average gymgoer WILL feel sore unless they are A) on the same routine for too long, B) doing baby loads or C) taking too much rest

Ballistics

Smash Champion
What a neat idea, I think the best place to have a lan center would be attached to a gym, cause when your done working out the best thing to do is play some smash lol.

My goal is to be HUGE! Who doesn't want to strike fear into evil men's minds?

Before smashing I'm gonna start making my sparring partners and I run a mile. <- came from the pushup idea

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
lol that would actually be pretty sweet. Just make sure theres a shower between the two so people don't get all nasty :bee: I always have a clear mind after working out, and it makes smashing easier.

Shök

Smash Champion
Nice progress, eighteenspikes.

How long did it take you to make that progress?

Attila_

BRoomer
ty trademark

shmot quit trying to sound exotic. also, you said "if you train regularly over a sustained period of time, you rarely get sore. fact." i am sore like every day, and the average gymgoer WILL feel sore unless they are A) on the same routine for too long, B) doing baby loads or C) taking too much rest
- not sure how im trying to sound exotic
- note a difference between rarely and never. cause there most definitely is one.
- if you train regularly over a sustained period of time, you rarely get sore
- nice progress btw... what's your program?

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
what's not impressive about those exercises btw? i probably should've specified that i do my turkish getups with a barbell, but even so, both are exercises that only a handful of gym goers can actually do. try them, try them again properly, then get back to me. and the fact that you didnt know what they were, discredited them without trying them, and then put yourself on my level (reminding you that you dont actually know me or my training habits at all either) with 'people less experienced than us' is pretty **** arrogant.

your response is short, but contradictory multiply times, seemingly in order to soften your argument. im direct. i dont like it when people bubble wrap what they wanna say. you can say 'i dont doubt your resolve' and then 'youre not pushing it to the next level' cause they stand in direct opposition to each other. im not an idiot, please dont treat me like one.

i never said that if someone was in shape, they wouldnt get sore. dont put words in my mouth. the body adapts to training. this is physiological fact. the muscle tissues in the body adapt to the strain you give them, and as such, you gradually get less and less sore. i didnt saw im never sore, either.
Brb, my Division-1 school is paying 75% of my college tuition to run track (sprints) for them. Although maybe, just maybe, I have it in me to keep up with you and your Bonsu squats? Nah, you're right, I'm not quite there yet... Believe me man, if our strength and conditioning coaches caught wind that we were not 100% sore and fatigued after a workout, they'd make our weights twice as heavy the next time. Which if you go back and read my 1st post in all of this, is the only point I was trying to make. I was simply talking about not being sore after workouts.

"if you train regularly over a sustained period of time, you rarely get sore. fact" ... My "ur doin' it wrong" comment was directed at that quote by you. c'mon man.

And lol at you thinking I was being arrogant by saying we are both in shape. I figured I was doing you the favor with that one.

Attila_

BRoomer
Brb, my Division-1 school is paying 75% of my college tuition to run track (sprints) for them. Although maybe, just maybe, I have it in me to keep up with you and your Bonsu squats? Nah, you're right, I'm not quite there yet... Believe me man, if our strength and conditioning coaches caught wind that we were not 100% sore and fatigued after a workout, they'd make our weights twice as heavy the next time. Which if you go back and read my 1st post in all of this, is the only point I was trying to make. I was simply talking about not being sore after workouts.

"if you train regularly over a sustained period of time, you rarely get sore. fact" ... My "ur doin' it wrong" comment was directed at that quote by you. c'mon man.

And lol at you thinking I was being arrogant by saying we are both in shape. I figured I was doing you the favor with that one.
i wasnt pissed cause you disagree with me; in fact, its a good way to have an active discussion. i was, however, pissed that you discredited my training regime and workout ethic without knowing anything about me, and discrediting exercises you had never heard of before, let alone tested out.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I week's absence from a solid gym schedule shouldn't throw me off too much right? I'm on spring break.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
I recently started doing Yoga in gym...
...I think this might become a regular habit o__o
It's relaxing PLUS it tones muscles and is a good way to stretch.
(And it makes me happyyyy and callmmmmm~)

trademark0013

Smash Champion
squatted for the first time in a while and went up like 10-20lbs. weeee!

jus concerned i'm not going deep enuff

also, benching is wack. some days u can get good numbers, others its hard to rep ur usual. anyone else exp this/kno how to fix it? i'm seeing some progress taking longer rest periods btwn sets (which i shoulda been doin neway because of my goals)

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
Nice progress, eighteenspikes.

How long did it take you to make that progress?
thanks, it took about a year but my first several months were not very intense, and I took some of winter off due to tonsilitis :urg:

- not sure how im trying to sound exotic
- note a difference between rarely and never. cause there most definitely is one.
- if you train regularly over a sustained period of time, you rarely get sore
- nice progress btw... what's your program?
- you found it notable that you do exercises people havent heard of
- I still think rarely is wrong because i get sore very often
- ive been training for about a year and i get sore very often
- thanks, I started on a low intensity variant of Rippetoe's Starting Strength for a few months, then got tonsilitis, now I'm on Crossfit. You should give it a shot, because I am REALLY SORE after the last 3 workouts. This was my workout for the past 3 days:

Five rounds for time of:
15 L-pullups, 5 handstand push-ups, 45 pound barbell One-legged overhead squat 10 reps

Ten rounds for time of:
135 pound Deadlift 15 reps, 15 push-ups

Three rounds for time of:
30 Double-unders (jump rope 2x under feet per jump), 25 L-pull-ups, 50+50 pound dumbbells Squat clean 20 reps

I would love to know your times, and how sore you are after day 3 :p

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Hey guys.It's been a while since I posted here.

I have been slacking on exercise as of late and have paid for it.My abs aren't as defined as they once were.

I'm gonna get back on the ball this week coming though.

I also want to build up my lats to get that "v" shape goin.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
@18spikes:

yea i started riptoes. its a good program, but i had to shift off because of my school schedule.

i havent looked into cross fit.

what r ur goals exactly? mine are purely strength. i play soccer and basketball regularly to make sure cardio gets involved

Attila_

BRoomer
I week's absence from a solid gym schedule shouldn't throw me off too much right? I'm on spring break.
a week isnt too much. maybe just warm up for a bit longer than usual.

squatted for the first time in a while and went up like 10-20lbs. weeee!

jus concerned i'm not going deep enuff

also, benching is wack. some days u can get good numbers, others its hard to rep ur usual. anyone else exp this/kno how to fix it? i'm seeing some progress taking longer rest periods btwn sets (which i shoulda been doin neway because of my goals)
you dont want to go too deep anyway, cause you can hurt yourself. should be stopping right before your sacrum tucks under your ***, cause otherwise your pushing nerves/bones/joints/muscles together and can (permanently) hurt yourself. the opinion of a physio student, anyway.

thanks, it took about a year but my first several months were not very intense, and I took some of winter off due to tonsilitis :urg:

- you found it notable that you do exercises people havent heard of
- I still think rarely is wrong because i get sore very often
- ive been training for about a year and i get sore very often
- thanks, I started on a low intensity variant of Rippetoe's Starting Strength for a few months, then got tonsilitis, now I'm on Crossfit. You should give it a shot, because I am REALLY SORE after the last 3 workouts. This was my workout for the past 3 days:

Five rounds for time of:
15 L-pullups, 5 handstand push-ups, 45 pound barbell One-legged overhead squat 10 reps

Ten rounds for time of:
135 pound Deadlift 15 reps, 15 push-ups

Three rounds for time of:
30 Double-unders (jump rope 2x under feet per jump), 25 L-pull-ups, 50+50 pound dumbbells Squat clean 20 reps

I would love to know your times, and how sore you are after day 3 :p
the exercises i mentioned i highlighted because they're actually quite advanced and not difficult to do. i recommend everyone to try them out ;)

in regards to the soreness issue, ill find some online literature to back it up at some point. basically the soreness process begins from the body sensing something is wrong -> starts swelling -> inflammatory process begins to rid the body of damaged cells. the swelling process has a bodily tendency to overreact, and occur where it isnt necessarily needed. so if you body knows that the swelling isnt necessary, or knows that only a very small amount is (which it understands over a period of continuous exercise) necessary, you dont get (noticeable) sore. my opinion that formed from both experience and research.

and whats a crossfit? ive never heard of it. maybe its an american thing... and what's a L-pull-up? lateral?

dont think ill be doing that program anytime soon though; it doesnt match my goals. at this point im trying to iron out strength discrepancies over my body (i pulled a hammy and got a stress fracture in my finger, ruining everything). once thats good, ill go back to my power stuff for the aths season :)

Ballistics

Smash Champion
I think this is sort of appropriate to post here, when you guys measure how many pull ups you do, how far do you go down? I am of the opinion that if you're going to count than you have to go down all the way every time, or else the first pull up is different than the rest. Also when you talk to other people about how many pull ups you can do, people will have differing opinions of how far to actually go down, so to take out all the confusion, I say just go down all the way every time, you might not be able to do as many, but its still a really good max out work out.

eighteenspikes

Smash Master
DEAD HANG THEN CHEST TO BAR :062:

for real tho I find it hilarious when I watch other people doin pullups at the gym with little baby 45 degree ROM. what is even the point.

Top Bottom