• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Survivor: Gabon - featuring Melee champion Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

infomon

Smash Scientist
"Scripted" no, but the editing process can be pretty effective at hyping some circumstances and downplaying others. So that helps to dramaticize it a bit. Just sayin'. For sure it's not like they're all actors or smthg.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
well

"Scripted" no, but the editing process can be pretty effective at hyping some circumstances and downplaying others. So that helps to dramaticize it a bit. Just sayin'. For sure it's not like they're all actors or smthg.
depending on the edit it can make someone whos honest a complete ******* etc. Doesnt do or have anything to do with scripts. Reality shows on MTV now thats scripted, except for real world i think. Its live and what happens happens, if an elephant ran into camp well the survivors would just have to run or die lol.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
omfg i died laughing where i herd him talk about smash on survivor . lmfao im a pro gamer 5 time world champion at smash and i use mindgames in real life to trick my opponents XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

BACH

BRoomer
BRoomer
ooh.. are you serious or just being sarcastic, if so, do you happen to have "any" vids?
Have you ever seen a "Good" video of people playing Melee? Yeah - i was the one that shot it probably.

Ever seen a MLG vid with commentary? That was me that set that up, filmed it, and edited it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MLGBACH

wow you dissappeared and soon as ken is on this show you reappeared to talk about yourself and make fun of ken?

bach stop advertising yourself seriously , nobody cares about the videos you make,your friends make, or your presense. You didnt even travel around the world with Ken for two years so thats a huge lie. Ken went to mlg competitions to compete and you just happened to be there. Ill stop replying to you now because I know there are haters out there for my bro, and I am smart enough to not fuel the fire, Ken was right you are all jealous LOL. If you keep flaming some more it only proves it.

LOl you are such a joke. This is for you bach:

For those who are survivor fans: Ken makes his debut on the TV channel in the next 3 following weeks to talk about Africa.
I didn't make the video - i just pointed it out - because it was very funny.

And i would consider traveling around the country filming Ken's matches to have some merit. He's a fantastic player, and it's fun to poke fun of famous people who make fools of themselves in the spotlight. If you are put out there - you need to expect to receive criticism whether it's founded, or unfounded.

It's part of life.

And i've never been gone? I just got a real job - and i couldn't spend as much time traveling around filming people playing video games

BACH

BRoomer
BRoomer
bach come back to us i miss your videos

Dude - i've seen some brawl videos that make me cry - i busted my *** doing smash videos for years, and no one seems to have learned anything i taught them

If anyone is doing smash videos - please ask me for help - for crying out loud... it's not that hard

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
"Ken Hoang has been watching Survivor since the "race war" season, Survivor Cool Islands, during which producers recruited 85 percent of the cast because of the low numbers of non-white applicants. Ken told me that when he watched, he thought, "hey, guys like me can compete," and that's why he applied for the show. In other words, his interest and eventual casting are due to that season's inclusion of a more racially diverse cast.

In our conversation, Ken had an intriguing mix of exuberant confidence and naivete. For example, talking about being called back even after producers first said they weren't interested, he said, "I think that I've worked harder than anyone else to out here to even get to this point. I got called the second time. No one's ever done that." He also called himself a "huge fan of the show" and seemed confident in his complete understanding of it, even though he's only watched the last four seasons.

In addition, while he probably has a better understanding than some of the recruited cast members who just crammed via DVD, and while not that having a clearly defined strategy in advance is a good idea, Ken's ideas about how he'd play the game were all over the place. At various points, he talked about being the tribe's provider, "puzzle master," underestimated weaker member, backstabber, and moral support. Can he really do all that at once?

Ken is a professional gamer, but he's also a full-time college student studying illustration, and calls gaming "a part-time job," even though he's a world champion. He called Survivor both "the ultimate game" and "a dirty game," and said he'll have no problem lying or backstabbing. "In the end, it's all mental," he said. "I'm mentally prepared. I'm not going to choke; I'm not going to freak out. And those are reasons for people to vote you off in this game."

As to how he'll win the mental game, Ken said it just comes down to a single moment during the 39 days. "I believe that it doesn't matter how much you screw people over in the game. Once you get to the jury, you can convince them to vote for you," he said. Of course, you have to make it to the end first, and because Ken is the smallest male physically, that might be difficult.

However, he considers that to be an advantage, and is basically begging people to underestimate him and view him as weak like they did with Yau-Man. "The girls would want to align themselves with someone like me rather than a strong threat," Ken told me. "I am the underdog on this. … I am the smallest guy out here, looking around, these big buff guys. How good at they at balancing? How good are they at keeping their arm up? How fast are they? How smart are they? You don't know."

Discussing his preparation, he said he's been practicing making fires, sleeping outside, and "training for this physically, too. Going to the gym every day-got some muscle, got a little six pack going. I'm ready," he said, actually showing off his muscles. And he's not bothered by the elements, bragging in his unassuming, gentle way that he hadn't had any water all day (we talked around 11:30 a.m.), and in his first answer, excitedly shared how many bug bites (12) he'd already gotten, which is odd and amusing all at once.

As the preceding paragraph suggests, his tendency to be lighthearted yet serious seems to define him, and he'll be interesting to watch in the context of the game, because I'm unsure how it'll affect him. He also smiled constantly and has an engaging personality-and knows that. "With my personality, I think it'll make the tribe better because when you're suffering out there, you have to have a sense of humor, or course," he said. "I don't want to be the guy who's bossing: 'Do this, do that, we're going to die.' I'm never negative."

That positivity and personality is apparent in every answer. Hear it come through as Ken talks about being in Africa, his strategy, and how others perceive him"

Steck

Smash Journeyman
This is awesome. Go get em Ken! Mindgames Son! Survivor just got interesting again after I got sick of watching it.

Ills

Smash Apprentice
OH GOD
I leave this board for like only a month and all this happened D:

kr3wman

Smash Master
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0v91scSFBdQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0v91scSFBdQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

MUST WATCH! Remember that "hot" girl we joked about Ken getting with? It may actually happen!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OWKpEthG1Hc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OWKpEthG1Hc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Opening Credits, if anyone is interested.
lol, just post the links next time.

OMG Ken gettin some lovin'

RayaGRH

Smash Apprentice
Wow, you are quick. I edited that post literally just after I saw the hyperlinks didn't work.

Veng

Smash Ace
I wouldnt vote for Ken if he had a gun pointed at my head.

Btw, how the hell would he win? whats he gonna do's, trick his opponents with mind games? zomg look up! *short hop double laser*

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
lmaoo, that girl looked pretty good. not bad ken, not bad

Yaya

Smash Champion
If it really is Ken with that chick. Not only did Ken score, but this means he's gotta be in the game for quite a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom