• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Brothers Crusade - v0.9.0 Demo Available for download!

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Okay, thanks again. I did overreact a little when I posted that, but in fact, I actually ended up reworking a lot of things.

Aerial momentum is much more noticeable now, and with the aerial maneuvering, you can approach with short-hopped Nairs much more easily, for example (especially with Fox!). Also, the aerial control makes Spin Dash combos easier.

We now have DI! I am still working on a way to change its magnitude based on the attack being used, but it works. If you do it right, you can escape from things like Kirby's Vulcan Jab or even Pikachu's DSmash (at the moment). I am planning on changing the potency of DI though, but I have maxed out the number of arguments for a script in Game Maker, darn it. (Of course, I could just say 'hitbox.di = 0.6' or something like that after each attack that shouldn't have the default. But that would be lame and would look stupid in the code. Meh.)

So here's how it works. You may DI roughly perpendicularly to the angle of launch on strong attacks. So, when hit by Mario's Down Smash, which has a 28 degree launch angle, you could DI up or down, but not left or right. When hit by Samus's Down Tilt, which has a 75 degree launch angle, you could DI left or right only.

When you're hit by a really weak move, like one of the repeating hits of Fox's Jab combo, you can DI anywhere to try and escape. The same is true for Smart Bombs, etc. that have multiple hits (unless they have a special property that reduces DI).

Here are some other random things I have done:
Fixed Samus's Charge Shot animations
Fixed Zero Suit Samus's Plasma Wire lingering animation
Fixed Samus's (and Mewtwo's) never-ending AI roll dodge on chargeable moves
Fixed Mario's Utilt and Uair hitboxes
Tweaked knockback on lots of attacks to account for DI
Added F3 as shortcut for exiting the match

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
That's great! Do you update the download as you go or do you release in versions?

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
[loh-kay-shuhn] n. The act or process of locating
Well, okay. He'll be X from now on. However, I have no plans of changing his moveset. Remember Ness's PK Starstorm in Brawl? He didn't actually use that move in Mother. You see, there are things I like about X and about Mega Man, so why isn't it okay to have both in one character? IMHO, there's no reason why X couldn't at some point use Leaf Shield. It's feasible.
If you're going this route, you should go all the way; make him do other distinctly Mega Man stuff for other attacks, like using Rush Coil for his Up+B recovery move and calling in Beat for a Side+B divebomb attack. Leaf Shield is conspicuous and feels like a misfit because:

• It is the only Classic Mega Man move available amongst an entirely X/Zero moveset.
  • X has moves from his own series which could serve the same exact function as Leaf Shield (remember the Guard Shell from X6?).
  • X isn't wearing his usual armor that looks like a grown-up Mega Man; he is decked out in his unique Command Mission design that looks nothing like the original Blue Bomber.
Other classic Mega Man moves would also look odd being performed by Command Mission X, sure, but at least Leaf Shield wouldn't be alone in such a case.

The left-right key mechanism is to help prevent dash-dancing. Dash dancing is still doable, but much harder. I feel that Dash dancing is funny, but also unnecessary.
When I play Sonic, I need to change directions quickly because he is so fast and slippery. If I am unable to do this, he gets stuck traveling very fast in one direction and before I can find the Jump key, he is dead. This definitely needs a fix, for the Sonic players if nothing else. Otherwise it is just as obnoxious as tripping; both mechanisms arbitrarily remove your control of the character.

Grabs are performed by holding shield and pressing standard attack, like always in Smash. Each character has four throws. (If you fought CPU's I'm sure you saw them use throws.)
Dunno about you guys, but I love the Z Button on my GameCube controller. It is my best friend when playing Brawl against a human opponent, because I love catching them by surprise with a throw out of nowhere instead of telegraphing it with a shield first.

(What I'm saying is that you need a dedicated throw button. Please consider it when creating the customizable controls.)

Added F3 as shortcut for exiting the match
Thank you.

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
I haven't played the game yet, but I heard about it's Better-Than-SSF2ness and decided to post my opinion on the controls.

I don't agree with having a button dedicated to smashing, but maybe the window of time between the arrow and the attack press could just be reduced a bit. I'll be fine with it as long as the smash attacks come out with simultaneous >+A, and the tilts with >...+A.

The customizable controls are an absolute must, because I need the Project 64 button layout to play.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Okay, guys, new breakthrough: We have the custom controls! It took me about an hour and a half or so, but yeah. They are saved and loaded automatically during the game. I think I will update the download sometime tomorrow!

Also, by the way, VS Settings are now also saved and loaded for convenience!

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
Okay, guys, new breakthrough: We have the custom controls! It took me about an hour and a half or so, but yeah. They are saved and loaded automatically during the game. I think I will update the download sometime tomorrow!

Also, by the way, VS Settings are now also saved and loaded for convenience!
Kickass! Looking forward to playing the new demo!

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
Can we change Ryu final smash to something different? he has 3 shoryukens, Up B, Counter, and his Final Smash. Why not make his final smash is shin haduken or something. I know the cliche of have a lot of characters having giant beams of energy for final smashes is annoying, but in this instants its kinda annoying for a character to have the same move three times.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Fo shizzle.

So anyway, the default controls will be the same as before. But of course, you can now change them.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be uploading the whole game to simplify things and avoid confusing people who haven't downloaded it already. On the other hand, you're getting Mewtwo, Link with new sfx and voices, and lots of upgrades in general.

So, I'll either edit this or make another post with the link! (no pun intended) ;)

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Is it really necessary to change Ryu's final smash? I like it right now, but I guess it is a third shoryuken... Shin hadukin would be interesting, though. We'll see.

humble

Smash Ace
*waits for the new updated version* Seriously, custom controls are going to improve this so much, I look forward to watching, playing, and seeing this project develop. The characters have me excited, particularly Jet Set Radio and Custom Robo chars, I can't wait until they are added. ^_^

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
Don't get me wrong I love Ryu in this game, but I really think he needs some more variety in his moves. I love the counter by the way although I think it should track where your being hit so that he shoryukens in the right direction.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Don't get me wrong I love Ryu in this game, but I really think he needs some more variety in his moves. I love the counter by the way although I think it should track where your being hit so that he shoryukens in the right direction.
Ah, good point. We shall see... And, just for kicks, I changed Ryu's FS to Shinkuu Hadouken! I actually do like it a lot. It isn't a beam - it's more like Ryu's Super Combo in SF IV. Beams are overdone. :)

But I don't like the idea of him stealing Shinryuuken... and it's for a good reason. You will see later, after the game is finished.

So, guys, so sorry I couldn't get this new version uploaded, but I found a problem that had to be fixed. I took me longer than I thought, but now it IS fixed! I am going to do a little more testing, but I should have it up by Monday. Custom controls await!

If you decide Ryu's Shin Shoryuken is cooler than Shinkuu Hadouken, or that you want to have him use Shinkuu Tatsumaki and create a whirlwind that sucks in other players, let me know what you think on Monday!

Bakuryu

Smash Ace
Looking forward to the new build, what pisses me off is I just got my gamecube controller set up correctly, but im running into the framerate issue again this is really annoying =( Theres no reason for it either I mean Its not like the game is maxing out my cpu or memory i have nothing else running. I'm updating my graphics card driver right now I really hope it works =\

fortwaffles

Smash Ace
I am looking forward to the new demo. lol, i find myself playing this in my spare time a lot XD. I like playing as goku... maybe just cuz he's a new addition, and ive been a fan of DBZ

Dr.MarioX

Smash Apprentice
Looking forward to the new build, what pisses me off is I just got my gamecube controller set up correctly, but im running into the framerate issue again this is really annoying =( Theres no reason for it either I mean Its not like the game is maxing out my cpu or memory i have nothing else running. I'm updating my graphics card driver right now I really hope it works =\
My computer has the same problem, actually.
Sometimes, restarting the computer works. That normally makes it run at full speed!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Quick question, I know you want character suggestions, but what about moveset suggestions, stage suggestions, mechanic suggestions, item suggestions, etc.?

trainheartnet

Smash Rookie
If you want character suggestions I would like (these are characters from various mangas/video games):

Rurouni Kenshin
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
Kisuke Urahara (Bleach) (Please!!!!)
Train Heartnet (Black Cat)
Zidane (final fantasy 9)
Sora (kingdom hearts)
Ness (earthbound)
Lucas (mother 3)

sorry for being like a bunch of other people and asking for character but not able to help make the game so I can see why you wouldn't want to add the characters, but the demo was really cool so any characters added will be cool. I can't wait to see the final version.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
I can tell you Ness will be in, for sure. All the veterans from 64 are returning, and most of the Brawl and Melee characters will as well.

Item suggestions are good, and mechanics ideas are also good. I think we won't be adding much to the Smash Bros. formula, though, other than new characters ad items and stages. If you have a complaint about the way the game plays that hasn't already been addressed, bring it up!

Edit:
DEMO CANCELED!

I uploaded a demo but it had a problem... I am taking it down.

Aaron20b

Smash Cadet
"""unexpected error occurred when running the game""""

What do I do now? I really want to play this game!

Alfa

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I downloaded the demo from the first page, and after playing it for about 15 minutes, I have a few problems with it:

1. If you dash in one direction, then hold the key for the other direction, you will continue to run in the same direction. So if you hold left, and begin to run left, then hold right, you keep going left.
2. If you use an aerial then you cannot control your aerial movement until the move is finished. As a Wario user, this really screws me over.
3. Some of the stage selection is a bit off, when targeting one stage, it will show it as being listed as another (noticable in the second row of stages).
4. Player 1 (and probably 2) can't have there hand changed to a cpu disk for character selction like P3/P4 have.
5. This game needs control options. Personally, I use my left hand for movement rather than my right (it's how I've always played SSB64 on the computer) so the only way for me to continue to play like this is to cross over my hands in an awkward position. Also, I don't really like the location of the shield button in comparison to the other buttons.
6. The help screen looks kind of out of place.
7. Jab combos play the whole thing rather than an attack at a time, these seems really weird for an SSB game.
8. I think that dashing should be done with a 'double-tap' system rather than the current one, as it makes getting your spacing on the ground correct unnecessarily hard.

Overall though, this is a great game, it just has a couple of kinks in it.

Aaron20b

Smash Cadet
I just made a topic about my error but ill explain it here anyway

After the first try the box disappears after the red bar reached the other end and the game never booted up. so I tried it again and I get the error message When the red bar reaches near the end. so I have no idea why its doing this. and it did this before as well with the last build so I doubt restarting my computer will fix it.

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
Hey, I downloaded the demo from the first page, and after playing it for about 15 minutes, I have a few problems with it:

1. If you dash in one direction, then hold the key for the other direction, you will continue to run in the same direction. So if you hold left, and begin to run left, then hold right, you keep going left.
Not to say I told you so, Falcon 88, but your efforts to remove dash dancing (for whatever reasons) are indeed affecting regular control ability.

2. If you use an aerial then you cannot control your aerial movement until the move is finished. As a Wario user, this really screws me over.
Noticed this too and I believe once they fix the upcoming demo, we'll see this added in.

4. Player 1 (and probably 2) can't have there hand changed to a cpu disk for character selction like P3/P4 have.
Player 2 can.

5. This game needs control options. Personally, I use my left hand for movement rather than my right (it's how I've always played SSB64 on the computer) so the only way for me to continue to play like this is to cross over my hands in an awkward position. Also, I don't really like the location of the shield button in comparison to the other buttons.
Will be seen in upcoming demo, according to Falcon88.

6. The help screen looks kind of out of place.
Agreed. At some point, try and go for an in-game one at least to look a little more professional.

7. Jab combos play the whole thing rather than an attack at a time, these seems really weird for an SSB game.
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this before. This should also be changed.

[QUOTE8. I think that dashing should be done with a 'double-tap' system rather than the current one, as it makes getting your spacing on the ground correct unnecessarily hard.[/QUOTE]

So I'm not the only one who feels double-tapping would be easy. Just keep smashes to single-tap and appropriate timing.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
It's up and ready for download!

NEW DEMO available now! (for real this time)

Download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?di43dm2w2dy

Both of these issues have been addressed! Aerial movement can be controlled during [most] attacks, and the dashing mechanic is fixed.

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
ALL RIGHTY THEN.

I just played the new, improved, and deliciously tangy demo. My thoughts:

Controls

The custom controls are fantastic in combat. Using a dedicated button for Smash Attacks is excellent and, when combined with "No A Smash", works exactly like the Weak Punch/Strong Punch mechanic from Street Fighter and the SNK fighters. It's marvelous, simply marvelous. A dedicated button for grabs is also excellent and allows me to really mix up my gameplay style. Thanks so much for including them, guys!

As for criticism, all I can think of is that custom controls do not work outside of battle. You must move your cursor and select characters using the default control scheme. This gets really confusing after a while, since I keep forgetting what the default controls were after a long and intense battle with my custom controls. Other than that, the controls feel pretty polished now.

By the way, having a dedicated Smash Button brings up a possibility I hadn't considered before: Neutral Smash Attacks, performed by pressing the Smash Button without directional input. It would give all characters an additional move (and since Veterans didn't have it in Brawl/Melee, you could make up new moves for them), but players that prefer "A Smash" and/or dislike the Smash Button will miss out on the fun. What does everyone else think?

Mewtwo

He operates exactly like he did in Melee, but faster. I have no complaints about him, great job with the implementation and sprites.

Air Attacks/Movement

Both glitches have been erased. I can zip around with Sonic now like his playstyle intends for you to do. Basic and advanced air game is now possible, which is very useful since everyone jumps so high. Well done.

With these changes, the gameplay feels like Brawl again, and even goes beyond Brawl a little with the dedicated smash button. I have played several matches start-to-finish and everything feels fluid and smooth. I must give my compliments on the CPU's artificial intelligence, it turns matches into entertaining challenges. Poor Sonic just can't win against Pikachu, and Goku still ***** everyone with Kamehameha, but beating up Waluigi provides endless entertainment.

Final Smashes

Now that custom controls allow me to play proper battles, I have some comments to make about this particular aspect of the gameplay.

The ability to have both characters use Final Smashes at the same time creates some interesting situations: when I was playing as Sonic against Pikachu, Super Sonic became an element of my gameplay strategy. Sonic stays in his super form about as long as Pikachu stays in his Volt Tackle bubble, and both characters become invincible during their FSes, so I saved Sonic's FS when it became available and used it to counter Pikachu's FS whenever the CPU decided it was a good time for me to die. If I tried this against, say, Hyper Mega Man, I would have a distinct advantage, since Mega Man's FS would end long before Super Sonic does.

This leads me to ask: should Final Smashes have priority over one another? Since some characters can only execute their Final Smashes if they hit their opponent with a single attack (Ristar, Goku, Waluigi, Link), should their Final Smashes take precedence over the more long-lived FSes such as Super Sonic, Volt Tackle, and Landmaster? It might help balance matches better, or it might be the worst idea ever conceived. Either way, the mental image of Ristar throwing a Landmaster into orbit makes me laugh.

Other FS Stuff:

Upon further consideration, I am in fact amazed that you didn't make Goku go Super Saiyan for his Final Smash. Any other fan of DBZ would've made him do so. It is something of a relief that you decided not to, since he would be pretty overpowered (well, more than usual) if he did have an "alternate form" FS like Wario Man or Giga Bowser. Although, I don't suppose there's anything stopping you from editing his current Final Smash to give him yellow hair during his super-combo...it would be a simple cosmetic change, nothing more.

Mewtwo's Final Smash is new, and functions just like Zero Suit Samus's FS. I'm curious to know more about how it functions: what's the range? Why does Mewtwo have such a massive cooldown after it is used on the ground? Is it to encourage players to use the FS in the air, where he gets no cooldown afterwards?

More thoughts to come as I continue playing/testing!

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Move Lists for Newcomers

ALL RIGHTY THEN.

Neutral Smash Attacks, performed by pressing the Smash Button without directional input. It would give all characters an additional move (and since Veterans didn't have it in Brawl/Melee, you could make up new moves for them), but players that prefer "A Smash" and/or dislike the Smash Button will miss out on the fun. What does everyone else think?
Neutral Smashes would be awesome, and actually, not truly unfair to A Smashers, and here's why. A Smashing doesn't totally disable using the Smash button. So, pressing the Smash button by itself, even with A Smashing on, still triggers something. Of course, this will require some slight engine tweaks and more spriting (argh!), but we will consider it... very carefully.

Upon further consideration, I am in fact amazed that you didn't make Goku go Super Saiyan for his Final Smash. Any other fan of DBZ would've made him do so. It is something of a relief that you decided not to, since he would be pretty overpowered (well, more than usual) if he did have an "alternate form" FS like Wario Man or Giga Bowser. Although, I don't suppose there's anything stopping you from editing his current Final Smash to give him yellow hair during his super-combo...it would be a simple cosmetic change, nothing more.
Ever tried using Goku's FS while in Kaioken?

Mewtwo's Final Smash is new, and functions just like Zero Suit Samus's FS. I'm curious to know more about how it functions: what's the range? Why does Mewtwo have such a massive cooldown after it is used on the ground? Is it to encourage players to use the FS in the air, where he gets no cooldown afterwards?
Sort of, the thing is, Mewtwo is exhausted after using Psycho Boost. Supposedly... But not in the air because A) it's generally harder to hit with in the air and B) Mewtwo has trouble defending from below while in the air except with the laggy Down Air, so if it misses there is still a big risk (IMO).

Move List

Since there are so many newcomers, I figured I would at least post the names and brief explanations of their Special Moves.

Toad
B: Spore Spout - Release clouds of spores to both sides of Toad. Charge by holding the button for more range and power.
Side B: Flip Tackle - Nimbly somersault through the air, ramming into enemies. Causes Toad to go into Special Fall.
Up B: Propeller Jump - Sprout a propeller and fly into the air, gaining lots of height for a good recovery. (Fall Special)
Down B: Big Veggie - Pull an overgrown vegetable from the ground and toss it for a powerful attack (ground only)
Final Smash: POW - Throw the POW Block into the ground to hit all grounded enemies for insane knockback. You can also hit other players with the block itself.

Ryu
B: Hadouken - A fireball-like projectile attack. Press forward just before releasing the burst to perform a more powerful but shorter ranged Shakanetsu Hadouken.
Side B: Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku - "Hurricane Kick" is a whirling kick attack with fast startup, good range, and brief invincibility just before the first hit. Smash the direction and press B for a Shinkuu Tatsumaki.
Up B: Shoryuken - A rising uppercut with high priority and some invincibility. Used to punish attacks, especially air-to-ground attacks.
Down B: Alpha Counter - Counter enemy attacks with a Shoryuken. Damage, knockback, and hitlag are dependent on the power of the move used against Ryu.
Final Smash: Shinkuu Hadouken - Fire a huge projectile that hits multiple times, dealing high damage and knockback.
Alternate Final Smash: Shun Goku Satsu - While playing as Evil Ryu, you may use this move. Hover over to your opponent, grabbing them. The room darkens, and a series of attacks in performed that is so brutal, you aren't allowed to see it.

Mega Man X
B: X Buster - Press B repeatedly for rapid-fire bursts, or hold it ad release for a more powerful blast.
Side B: Flamethrower - A basic flamethrower move with fast startup and high damage. It hits multiple times, but does little knockback.
Up B: Light Sword Rush - Perform an uppercut move with the light sword, ending with an overhead slash. Useful in recovery.
Down B: Leaf Shield - Guard against projectile attacks with the Leaf Shield while still mobile. However, you may not use Mega Man X's projectiles whiel using it.
Final Smash: Hyper Mega Man - Transform into a huge robot and assault enemies with a beam and a barrage of missiles.

Ristar
B: Star Slam - Grab an enemy with Ristar's elastic arms and slam into them. This move hits shielding enemies, since it is a grab.
Side B: Star Catapult - Use Ristar's arms to propel him forward, knocking into nearby enemies for damage.
Up B: Orbit Launch - Swing around the launch pole, kicking nearby enemies, them jump high into the air for a great recovery move. However, Ristar is helpless until reaching the ground.
Dowb B: Meteor Dive/Meteor Stomp - If the move is used on the ground, Ristar will pound an enemy into the ground by slamming them with his body. If used while airborne, Ristar will dive down like a meteor, spiking enemies downward into another hit when Ristar touches the ground.
Final Smash: Hyper Orbit Launch - Grab an enemy, then swing them around and around the launch pole, building up enough speed to throw them into orbit.

Goku
B: Kamehameha - Fire a beam of energy at enemies after a slow charge-up. It is powerful and long ranged, but it has huge startup and end lag.
Side B: Energy Ball - Fire a small projectile at enemies. It can be used quickly in succession.
Up B: Instant Transmission - Teleport to a nearby location, using the arrow keys to influence your destination. Goku is invincible while invisible.
Down B: Kaioken charge/Meteor Attack - Charge up energy by holding the button. Whe it is fully charged, Goku will enter his Kaioken state, where he has heightened attack power. While using Kaioken, however, he will slowly take damage over time.
Final Smash (normal): Dragon Rush - Lunge at an enemy for a punch. If it lands, Goku will pound them will a flurry of punches and kicks, then smash them into the sky. While the enemy is airborne, Goku prepares a Spirit Bomb, which he hurls into them upon landing.
Final Smash (kaioken): Ryu-Ken - Goku summons Shenron, who grants him extra power, transforming Goku into a Super Saiyain temporarily. Goku then delivers a single punch that hits many times and does more damage than most Final Smashes, and it is almost certain to KO. However, it requires good timing, and Goku is helpless after the attack if it is used in the air.

Waluigi
B: Serve UP - Waluigi tosses a tennis ball as if about to serve it. Press B again to hit the ball if you use the proper timing. If not, Waluigi will miss and make a disgusted face for a moment.
Side B: Bob-omb Buddy - Summon a Bob-omb and toss it at enemies for a fairly strong weapon. If held too long, the Bob-omb will explode, damaging Waluigi.
Up B: Super WALUIGI Jump Punch - Waluigi leaps into the air, fist raised, as if hitting a ? Block. If the move hits, it does 1% damage and 1 knockback (literally), barely flnching the enemy. However, if it hits when the enemy is in a certain position at a certain time, the move becomes an Electric Uppercut, which deals 23% damage and can KO at low percentages.
Down B: Pile Drive Stomp - Waluigi pounds enemies into the dirt by stomping on them, allowing him to attack again (sometimes).
Final Smash: Power Strike Explosion - Berserk your enemy by disabling them with a powerful Pile Drive Stomp, them basking them with a vriety of moves, finishing with a powerful Bob-omb blast.

How to use Evil Ryu/Zero Suit Samus:

On the Stage Select Screen, hold either "I" for player 1 or "Q" for player 2 (the default Jump keys). In the future, the menu controls should be configurable, but it will still be the Jump key.

Falcon88

Smash Ace
ok so can somebody help me with my error? I really want to play this
Sorry for the double post, but eh.

Well your error sounds like a problem with the software/hardware running your PC. Do you have DirectX 9 or later? Do you have a dedicated or integrated graphics chip or card with an appropriate driver? Are you using Windows XP or Vista or 7? Is there some kind of antivirus program blocking it? (Gee, I hope not.)

I have not had anyone unable to run the game UNLESS they had no integrated graphics card or driver, so you might want to check.

Aaron20b

Smash Cadet
Display: Plug and Play Monitor on S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
System: Mircosoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3
Emachines
Pentium(R) 4 SPU 3
3.06GHz 736 MB of Ram

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
X *****. I had mad fun playing this with a 360 controller.

You just need to add JC Usmashes so I can stop jumping when I press up on my controller when I try to do an usmash.

Stoney

Smash Apprentice
Neutral Smashes would be awesome, and actually, not truly unfair to A Smashers, and here's why. A Smashing doesn't totally disable using the Smash button. So, pressing the Smash button by itself, even with A Smashing on, still triggers something. Of course, this will require some slight engine tweaks and more spriting (argh!), but we will consider it... very carefully.
It's true; the amount of additional sprite work necessary to implement this would be tremendous. I'd rather not put an even greater burden on your artists if I can help it, but thank you for considering the idea.

Ever tried using Goku's FS while in Kaioken?
...Well now I just feel like an idiot. I never bothered charging Goku up since he ***** everyone just fine without it.

Sort of, the thing is, Mewtwo is exhausted after using Psycho Boost. Supposedly... But not in the air because A) it's generally harder to hit with in the air and B) Mewtwo has trouble defending from below while in the air except with the laggy Down Air, so if it misses there is still a big risk (IMO).
I could understand why you'd think that if the upper half of the move's hitbox was larger than the bottom half, but Psycho Boost's range seems pretty huge all around...unless it is using deceptive graphics to make its range seem larger than it actually is. In practice, I've frequently dispensed Death From Above with it, and it works especially well against recovering opponents that have been knocked off the stage.

It seems like a nice incentive to keep Mewtwo airborne, really. It helps that you guys made substantial improvements to his aerial moves too, in particular his Back Air.

Alternate Final Smash: Shun Goku Satsu - While playing as Evil Ryu, you may use this move. Hover over to your opponent, grabbing them. The room darkens, and a series of attacks in performed that is so brutal, you aren't allowed to see it.
I noticed a bug with this move when used against a standing opponent. If you do not touch the arrow keys, Evil Ryu will have a hard time connecting the Shun Goku Satsu with his opponent even while they are within range of his grab; he'll hover forward, but stop just short of the opponent and enter his grabbing animation. Since he's not actually grabbing the opponent when he does this, he won't execute the move. However, if you hold an arrow key in the direction of the opponent while Evil Ryu is hovering forward, the move will execute properly. I was only able to test this bug against Waluigi because of the problems I had selecting Evil Ryu (see below), so it might be specific to him only.

Another thing: Evil Ryu's Down Air still has problems with priority. I passed clean through a standing Waluigi like he just didn't care.

On the Stage Select Screen, hold either "I" for player 1 or "Q" for player 2 (the default Jump keys). In the future, the menu controls should be configurable, but it will still be the Jump key.
I didn't know Evil Ryu was in the game! I had one hell of a time getting the game to let me play as him, too. Holding "I" while pressing "O" to select Ryu, then releasing the "I" button didn't work. Holding the "I" button down while selecting Ryu and selecting the stage didn't work. Not holding the button when selecting Ryu, but then holding it down while pressing Enter to go to the Stage Select Screen didn't work. Holding the button down until the match loads didn't work. Releasing it right after selecting the stage didn't work.

Eventually I somehow got to play as Evil Ryu by holding both "Q" and "I" simultaneously while selecting Ryu and then the stage. But then I couldn't do it a second time!

I still haven't gotten Zero Suit Samus direct from the character-select screen after trying all of the above methods. I don't know if special timing on the button presses is needed or what, but the game seems very finicky about doing what you say it does. It's making me feel like an idiot for being unable to perform what should be a very simple task. Perhaps my custom controls are interfering with it?

Falcon88

Smash Ace
Another thing: Evil Ryu's Down Air still has problems with priority. I passed clean through a standing Waluigi like he just didn't care.

I didn't know Evil Ryu was in the game! I had one hell of a time getting the game to let me play as him, too. Holding "I" while pressing "O" to select Ryu, then releasing the "I" button didn't work. Holding the "I" button down while selecting Ryu and selecting the stage didn't work. Not holding the button when selecting Ryu, but then holding it down while pressing Enter to go to the Stage Select Screen didn't work. Holding the button down until the match loads didn't work. Releasing it right after selecting the stage didn't work.

I still haven't gotten Zero Suit Samus direct from the character-select screen after trying all of the above methods. I don't know if special timing on the button presses is needed or what, but the game seems very finicky about doing what you say it does. It's making me feel like an idiot for being unable to perform what should be a very simple task. Perhaps my custom controls are interfering with it?
Well, like I said, you hold I or Q depending on the player when you select the stage. I think I'll make another way to do it for later.

On the Stage Select Screen, hold either "I" for player 1 or "Q" for player 2 (the default Jump keys) while selecting the stage. In the future, the menu controls should be configurable, but it will still be the Jump key.

I'll investigate Evil Ryu's FS and D Air problems. I never noticed them before... But if I find there is a problem and can fix it, I will upload a new .exe file which you can use to replace the current one.

Top Bottom