• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I know there's a few months until that could possibly happen, but I wonder if Nintendo would make a spooky Newcomer Reveal live trailer for Halloween.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I know there's a few months until that could possibly happen, but I wonder if Nintendo would make a spooky Newcomer Reveal live trailer for Halloween.
The Japanese don't really celebrate Halloween, so likely not.

:ultridley:All right! I can see I will have to teach you how to be villains! *pulls out saxophone*

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Goku would be that one character everybody wants for some reason, then complain about when they realize he destroys everybody, including their character, like Cloud maybe.
I feel like Goku falls into that category of "character nobody really expects/wants, but once they're in, people will stop complaining a month after the game comes out".

KMDP

Smash Legend
Goku would be that one character everybody wants for some reason, then complain about when they realize he destroys everybody, including their character, like Cloud maybe.
Maybe Goku could stand up to Bayonetta!

We just have to hope Superman doesn't show up to ruin his top tier spot.
:ultbowser: Here's a little lesson in trickery.
This is going down in history!
If you wanna be a villain number one.
You gotta catch a super hero :ultmario: on the run!
:ultganondorf:Just follow my moves (:ultfalcon:HYES!!), and sneak around (:ultsnake:).
Be careful not to make a sound (:ultdaisy:HI, I'M DAISY!).
No, don't touch that!

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yeah, the leak is almost certainly fake but can we take a step back real quick and give that guy a hand for being such a damn good guesser? I mean, we got Pokemon Funko Pops AND Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC within a week. Two things that seem nearly impossible to guess. There is always a slight chance that it gets a surprise announcement tomorrow. Maybe he meant that it would be announced on the 22nd? I dunno, either way we got one more day before we can ENTIRELY bury this leak. Right now though we can pretty much throw that one in the trash. Damn, though, I was really looking forward to seeing a K. Rool trailer. :p

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
If we get a Direct announced tomorrow that would either be the most amount of luckiest guesses I've ever seen or this person works for Nintendo's media team.

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
There was a discussion about Ultimate renders earlier today and that reminded me of Wolf.

A Smash Wiki editor pointed out some interesting inconsistency between his in-game model and his HD render, mainly his accessories.

His render shows him with:
  • Blue soles on his boots.
  • Black stripes on both his shin guards.
  • Light purple jacket and gloves.

In some trailer footage and even all of his screenshots on his official page show Wolf with:
  • Red soles.
  • White stripes behind his right shin guard.
  • Darker purple jacket and gloves.
Here's a comparison. The left one shows his Official render design and the right one is one of the many footages with his inconsistent design.

Does anyone have any idea why this is a thing? I thought that they might just be using different builds between some footage and screenshots but that doesn't excuse why there's an accurate design shown off in his trailer.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
There was a discussion about Ultimate renders earlier today and that reminded me of Wolf.

A Smash Wiki editor pointed out some interesting inconsistency between his in-game model and his HD render, mainly his accessories.

In some trailer footage and even all of his screenshots on his official page show Wolf with:
  • Red soles.

Here's a comparison. The left one shows his Official render design and the right one is one of the many footages with his inconsistent design.

Does anyone have any idea why this is a thing? I thought that they might just be using different builds between some footage and screenshots but that doesn't excuse why there's an accurate design shown off in his trailer.
Maybe the minor colour changes are really recent.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm not officially killing it until tomorrow, but yes, it is most likely dead.

Also I made a 105 character roster out of boredom. I'm not going to justify my inclusions but I tried to stay in the realm of likely and not disconfirmed characters while trying to please as many people as possible. What do you guys think? I guess you could say it's the Ultimate Roster.
Tfw Chrom is on the prediction roster but not the 100+ character roster.
'^'

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Screw Attack have never thrown a character under the bus to shill a character made by a friend of theirs, *cough*Tifa*cough*.

Oh, god, sorry, I have a terrible cough right now.
You know dude, when we said to change your icon

We meant to change it to something that isn’t the same creepy fetish as your last one.

Anyway everyone, I’m gonna go to bed. Or at least try to since the neighbors are partying with loud music and it’s approaching midnight. If I still lurk it’s cause I can’t sleep
I was reading this while this happening right now at my place.

My neighboors are so damn loud sometimes.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Tfw Chrom is on the prediction roster but not the 100+ character roster.
'^'
I wanted to go for variety in newcomers. Fire Emblem was tough to choose one character for, and I tried to stray away from Echoes.

Celica got in though. Edelgard got in though. She can use an Axe so she brings moveset potential to the table.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I wanted to go for variety in newcomers. Fire Emblem was tough to choose one character for, and I tried to stray away from Echoes.

Celica got in though.
Wait she did? I don't see her on there, haha.

SmashingXan2

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, does anyone still have that medium or psychic mom post with them, or at least what page it was on. I want to review what she said

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961

• Red soles.

There's plenty of evidence to suggest the trailer was rushed. We know that Palutena's, Falco's and Shulk's renders weren't even finished in time (they weren't part of the press release and they've since all been updated on the site). At multiple times throughout the various trailers we can see hitbox data and other dev tools. And Wolf, in particular, has one of the worst models (not character designs, models), so it doesn't surprise me at all to see they probably hadn't settled on a design yet.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

• Red soles.

The Wolf amiibo uses Blue Soles instead of the red ones, so it’s most likely that it was the final decision and the red soles are from an earlier build.

Tbh, I think they’re trying to polish up the model. His CSS render looks much more polished and done than his in game model that was shown since it was at least supposed to be presentable. Although, does Sakurai and his team work on the newcomers and veterans at the same time?

And as Vanroose probably stated, I’m pretty sure we’re in the polishing phase right now where they’re trying to improve and perfect how the characters and stages look in game.

The newcomers might still need to be done and are the team are most likley finishing the up the last ones at this point.

Last edited:

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
To be honest, the fact that a lot of the footage they revealed at E3 seems to be in pretty rough shape and that Palu, Falco and Shulk didn't even have finished renders yet is what's making me lean toward an extremely conservative newcomer estimate. There's obviously still a great deal of work left just to get all the vets finished, let alone new characters. And unlike in past games, they aren't going to cut low priority vets for the newcomers.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I'm not trying to ride the hype train or anything but man, the cast of Sonic Mania (Metal included) are a strong group of lads. Thinking about it, its weird and a little sad that the 'meme' characters didn't really start coming in until the 3D era. There's not too much wrong with the guys from the classic era, this is subjective of course but wow are these 5 (6) a charming group.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
I'm not officially killing it until tomorrow, but yes, it is most likely dead.

Also I made a 105 character roster out of boredom. I'm not going to justify my inclusions but I tried to stay in the realm of likely and not disconfirmed characters while trying to please as many people as possible. What do you guys think? I guess you could say it's the Ultimate Roster.
Looks cool but c'mon, no ARMS character, you have Wonder Red and Travis but no Dillon, and then Goku but still no Shadow!

Just wanted to get my bias out but I think what I just said was still fairly reasonable.
Yeah, the leak is almost certainly fake but can we take a step back real quick and give that guy a hand for being such a damn good guesser? I mean, we got Pokemon Funko Pops AND Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC within a week. Two things that seem nearly impossible to guess. There is always a slight chance that it gets a surprise announcement tomorrow. Maybe he meant that it would be announced on the 22nd? I dunno, either way we got one more day before we can ENTIRELY bury this leak. Right now though we can pretty much throw that one in the trash. Damn, though, I was really looking forward to seeing a K. Rool trailer. :p
You beat me to what I was gonna say! If I were this guy I'd be patting myself on the back for not only guessing the things you just mentioned, but also predicting we'd get a misty trailer for Pokemon Let's Go before the 22nd. Seriously, this guy is one in a million in terms of leakers who actually got to mess with us for a few weeks before his leak was finally put to the grave.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
We know in every other game characters get worked on but cut mid-way through due to time. So if anything, I could see Sakurai wanting to announce all the vets up front as his way of holding the team accountable for actually finishing everybody.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I still see a lot of people arguing that Waluigi still has a chance to be in. He is a "cheater" anyway.

I don't personally think he will be in but it would be a really cool way to troll the fans
Sakurai actually says in the update that he sent him (Luigi) an invitation to participate in Smash Bros. Sakurai then says he was "out for a business trip to an mansion...". This was the original "up until now" ("up until now, Ness was " was language used on Lucas's character unveil page that made people think Ness was cut). Since there were no Japanese language speakers or translators among the fledgling speculation community at the time, this flew over everyone's heads that Sakurai was cryptically hinting at Luigi returning.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Looks cool but c'mon, no ARMS character, you have Wonder Red and Travis but no Dillon, and then Goku but still no Shadow!

Just wanted to get my bias out but I think what I just said was still fairly reasonable.
We 108 characters now.
100+ Character Meme Roster Roster.png
It's a Masta'piece

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778

Yeah its crazy he predicted those two things, and also knew we'd be at Lt. Surge for the next gym leader highlight in pokemon lets go pikachu/eevee. I think either hes just very very lucky with those guesses or had some real info but not enough to be exciting so he made a fake leak and added a bunch of stuff. not sure which i believe but i wouldnt be too surprised if we got a few more things he leaked (like maybe mario maker with a stylus i dunno something less "out there") since its really hard to guess the things he did with that kind of timing, im leaning towards theres real stuff mixed with fake and so there might be a few more "real" pieces of info... keeping it on my radar once the 22nd passes but in the back files.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Yeah its crazy he predicted those two things, and also knew we'd be at Lt. Surge for the next gym leader highlight in pokemon lets go pikachu/eevee. I think either hes just very very lucky with those guesses or had some real info but not enough to be exciting so he made a fake leak and added a bunch of stuff. not sure which i believe but i wouldnt be too surprised if we got a few more things he leaked (like maybe mario maker with a stylus i dunno something less "out there") since its really hard to guess the things he did with that kind of timing, im leaning towards theres real stuff mixed with fake and so there might be a few more "real" pieces of info... keeping it on my radar once the 22nd passes but in the back files.
A leak sandwich: real information surrounded by fake information. The fun is determining which is which.
Currently I'm working on something else.
Hmmm... I woke up from my nap to see this, and something tells me that whatever it is is worrying/exciting/something else
Well, "Part 1" of what I was working on is finished. It's ART! (and not a Character Icon)
TifaArt.png
It may or may not be used in a signature at a later date. After I've done other characters.

epicgordan

Smash Ace

• Red soles.

Obviously a fake leak lol.

Speaking of fake leaks, I noticed that there was some sort of obscure Japanese video covering Super Smash Brothers and possibly a Nintendo direct even as we speak. It's on YouTube; here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHkJGV5UeiQ

However, I can't find any other specific details or highlights. The comments section and even the chat are completely disabled. So I have no idea what is going on or what had transpired earlier.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Speaking of fake leaks, I noticed that there was some sort of obscure Japanese video covering Super Smash Brothers and possibly a Nintendo direct even as we speak. It's on YouTube; here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHkJGV5UeiQ
We already knew about that. Nintendo is at "Jump Victory Carnival" (a convention in Japan) hosting a 'tournament' where if you win three times in a row, you are rewarded with a Nintendo Switch charging stand. Each hour they switch between Smash Ultimate and Mario Tennis Aces.

The event uses the E3 demo build, only in Japanese; and there is no sign of an upcoming Direct yet.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Obviously a fake leak lol.

However, I can't find any other specific details or highlights. The comments section and even the chat are completely disabled. So I have no idea what is going on or what had transpired earlier.
That's literally the tournament stuff going on in Japan only, linked from the actual Japanese Smash Twitter. There is no Nintendo direct, it's just covering a tournament.

Greninja'd.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Don't forget that Shadow Pits are also an actual thing in Uprising. They'd make perfect Dark Pit echoes!

#ShadowPit4Smash
"Shadow Pit" is just Dark Pit with red streaks in his hair. He's an edgelord.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
"Shadow Pit" is just Dark Pit with red streaks in his hair. He's an edgelord.
Hm, I don't remember any red streaks in Shadow Pit's hair. But now that I think about it, they did appear in the Chaos Vortex. Maybe Shadow Pit's Final Smash should reflect that. Perhaps he could be given the power to Control Chaos? A Final Smash like that would need an awesome name, preferably with alliteration, but for some reason I can't come up with any.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Hm, I don't remember any red streaks in Shadow Pit's hair. But now that I think about it, they did appear in the Chaos Vortex. Maybe Shadow Pit's Final Smash should reflect that. Perhaps he could be given the power to Control Chaos? A Final Smash like that would need an awesome name, preferably with alliteration, but for some reason I can't comw up with any.
"This is the Ultimate Power Smash Game!"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom