• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Has anyone else seen Ridley's Boxing Ring title? It was revealed to be "Cunning God of Death". More edgy than Cloud/Dark Pit combined.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Has anyone else seen Ridley's Boxing Ring title? It was revealed to be "Cunning God of Death". More edgy than Cloud/Dark Pit combined.
I'm kind of sad that Snake's is "The Legendary Mercenary" because it could've been "Legendary Soldier of Fortune." It means the same thing, but the latter is used in Brawl when Snake is unlocked.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
In other news, someone tried to imitate me on GameFAQs. Shoutouts to @perfectchaos83 for sticking up to me since I can't because GameFAQs banned me for an error in their own website.

Anyways, the weird thing about this speculation period is that it's so short.

For Smash 4 we had about two to four years (depending on if you count the announcement in 2011 or the official reveal in 2013) of speculation, with 2011 - 2013 being nothing but an announcement, and 2013 - 2014 being a slow trickle of information through various outlets. Newcomer and veteran reveals were spaced out pretty well, and we were never really starved for content. The Pic of the Day always had something slightly new, and even when it didn't it was at least entertaining.

For Ultimate the official speculation period began either March (the announcement) or June (the official reveal), and ends in December. That's 6 - 9 months. March to June was nothing but a teaser with Inklings, Mario, Link, and whoever was in those shadows (that was fun speculation). Then, in June the floodgates open and we get a massive info dump. Every character returns, Ridley and Daisy are in, the game releases in six months. After that? Nothing but lots of gameplay. The blog has been nothing but rehashed information and a ****ing banger every Tuesday. They could keep recycling content on the blog up until release if they wanted. It's been 5 weeks since the reveal of the game and we've gotten little to nothing.

I think part of our anxiousness is that this isn't like anything we've experienced before. Both Brawl and Sm4sh had lengthy, spread out speculation periods. Ultimate has 6 months, and therefore we believe that 2 - 3 years worth of a speculation period has to be shoved into 6 months. Hence, 273 "leaks" in 5 weeks. Really, I think we ought to treat this like late stage Sm4sh speculation and expect reveals at the same intervals.

We still need more information soon though.
There was a similar period to what we are going through now in terms of length: Pre-Melee. Melee's unveil was in May 2001, and its release was in November 2001 (Japanese release). Six months, the same amount of time from Ultimate's proper unveil to its release date.

Any new info that we got during this time was on a Japan only version of the Dojo, which was only updated a few times a week. We actually got only one newcomer confirmed before the game's release which was Zelda, and she was only unveiled like two weeks before the game's release.

There was wild speculation over the Western teaser site that said this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20030202110529/http://supersmashbrosmelee.com:80/battle/index.html

Over 20 characters. People particularly wondered what it meant considering on the character selection screen, there were only five hidden character boxes, and a hand conveniently covered Sheik's icon (and I think in other screenshots it was also a hidden character box). Some said that even if both Ice Climbers were counted as separate characters, we still would not get to OVER 20.

Turned out those "over 20" were the six clones.

Here is the Japanese Melee website to give you an idea on when we would get updates for fighters:
https://web.archive.org/web/2004030...re/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/0222/character.html

Updates for various topics:
https://web.archive.org/web/2004030...ware/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/0222/subject.html

For events:
https://web.archive.org/web/2004120...ftware/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/0222/event.html

However, for this period, we have received an unprecedented amount of information for the formal unveil, only to get nothing new for over a month. Its definitely new ground. Who knows when we will hear something new?

Nintendo Directs are no longer a regular occurrence like they were prior to 2016. Aside from Directs focused on a particular game (such as Pokemon Let's Go), I can only think of three more possible Nintendo Direct topics, one for the future 3DS lineup (since the 3DS was not shown off at all during the E3 Direct, and literally the last two games on Japan's 3DS release schedule, will be releasing in two weeks), a holiday season/Q4 softward direct, and a Smash Bros. Ultimate focused Nintendo Direct. The 3DS Direct looks more and more iffy as we get closer to September. That would leave only two more Directs.

The other option is for Sakurai to make an announcement via twitter or the website about upcoming character unveils (this was done for the Robin/Lucina trailer).

We shall see what ultimately happens.

FantasticMr.StarPit

Smash Journeyman
Can't wait to see that reference between Ridley & Thanatos(because they're both gods of death...but Ridley's no god)for Palutena's Guidance. Pit would be totally confused on who's the real god of death. obviously Thanatos,

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Ya know what's funny about the 7th gen starters, the only one without a unique hidden ability ends up having the objectively best ability.

Intimidate is thematically appropriate and is good in just about in kind of battle.

KMDP

Smash Legend
And for tomorrow's preview:

Otacon: Let's just say things are kind of complicated in Hyrule when it comes to time-related stuff...

Next up: :ultlink:
Otacon: Wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey.
Snake: Don't you start on that again.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Here is the image to prove I am not lying:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Wouldn't be the other way around?
That means Ash is the reason there aren't any more Golden Sun games.
You know who to blame, people.
It's the hit new action figure: Ash Genocide Isaac, with Kung-fu Grip.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Majin Buu needs to be in Smash.

https://www.deviantart.com/kimsuyeong81/art/Majin-Boo-393407344 (This is what he should look like if he does get in)
No, no he does not. No character needs be in Smash Bros except the Nintendo legends, like Mario, Pikachu, Link, Kirby, etc.

What you meant to say was, "I would like to see Majin Buu in Smash," or "I want Majin Buu to be in Smash," but not "Majin Buu needs to be in Smash."

If we were to see an anime character, it would easily be Goku, maybe Luffy or Naruto. Majin Buu needs to wait in line, except the line is like the lines for the nonexistent life boats on the Titanic.

Also he'd just lose to Kirby. That's what happened on Death Battle after all, and they have flawless logic.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero

I imagine some people already know about this change to Link's Boxing Ring title, but to those who don't, well, here you go.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here is an update I just remembered during pre-Melee that caused a lot of controversy:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp:80/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/0707/topic0707.html

The trophy update. This might have been the very first mass deconfirmation unveil ever. There is also the fact one of the trophies shown off was Luigi. This made quite a few people believe that Luigi was going to be cut (many were expecting Jigglypuff to be cut as well). However, the fact that Luigi was such a popular character and the fact that Luigi's Mansion was going to be a Melee launch title made many believe that it was simply "a trick". Fortunately that time, it was just a trick.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Also he'd just lose to Kirby. That's what happened on Death Battle after all, and they have flawless logic.
Screw Attack have never thrown a character under the bus to shill a character made by a friend of theirs, *cough*Tifa*cough*.

Oh, god, sorry, I have a terrible cough right now.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Can't wait to see that reference between Ridley & Thanatos(because they're both gods of death...but Ridley's no god)for Palutena's Guidance. Pit would be totally confused on who's the real god of death. obviously Thanatos,
Don’t think Pit will be confused that much, considering literally nobody but Hades really cared for or respected Thanatos
Here is the image to prove I am not lying:
Perfection at its Finest

Not as horrifiying as this...

Keep that **** away from life

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
Here is an update I just remembered during pre-Melee that caused a lot of controversy:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp:80/n01/n64/software/nus_p_nalj/smash/flash/0707/topic0707.html

The trophy update. This might have been the very first mass deconfirmation unveil ever. There is also the fact one of the trophies shown off was Luigi. This made quite a few people believe that Luigi was going to be cut (many were expecting Jigglypuff to be cut as well). However, the fact that Luigi was such a popular character and the fact that Luigi's Mansion was going to be a Melee launch title made many believe that it was simply "a trick". Fortunately that time, it was just a trick.
I still see a lot of people arguing that Waluigi still has a chance to be in. He is a "cheater" anyway.

I don't personally think he will be in but it would be a really cool way to troll the fans

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
In other news, someone tried to imitate me on GameFAQs. Shoutouts to @perfectchaos83 for sticking up to me since I can't because GameFAQs banned me for an error in their own website.

Anyways, the weird thing about this speculation period is that it's so short.

For Smash 4 we had about two to four years (depending on if you count the announcement in 2011 or the official reveal in 2013) of speculation, with 2011 - 2013 being nothing but an announcement, and 2013 - 2014 being a slow trickle of information through various outlets. Newcomer and veteran reveals were spaced out pretty well, and we were never really starved for content. The Pic of the Day always had something slightly new, and even when it didn't it was at least entertaining.

For Ultimate the official speculation period began either March (the announcement) or June (the official reveal), and ends in December. That's 6 - 9 months. March to June was nothing but a teaser with Inklings, Mario, Link, and whoever was in those shadows (that was fun speculation). Then, in June the floodgates open and we get a massive info dump. Every character returns, Ridley and Daisy are in, the game releases in six months. After that? Nothing but lots of gameplay. The blog has been nothing but rehashed information and a ****ing banger every Tuesday. They could keep recycling content on the blog up until release if they wanted. It's been 5 weeks since the reveal of the game and we've gotten little to nothing.

I think part of our anxiousness is that this isn't like anything we've experienced before. Both Brawl and Sm4sh had lengthy, spread out speculation periods. Ultimate has 6 months, and therefore we believe that 2 - 3 years worth of a speculation period has to be shoved into 6 months. Hence, 273 "leaks" in 5 weeks. Really, I think we ought to treat this like late stage Sm4sh speculation and expect reveals at the same intervals.

We still need more information soon though.
two words: Melee. Speculation.

it isn't the first time we're seeing this, but it's the first time we know that unlockable content will be shown before the game releases
I'm just gonna go ahead and say that I still don't understand why people hate clones.
because melee's newcomers were either jank (the average player doesn't know wtf to do with a sheik or ice climbers, mewtwo and G&W are clunky, and bowser wasn't the most accessible character) or clones and a lot of the characters people expected to have an original moveset were given clones. people were more happy of Luigi in Smash 64 just b/c he was even there.

Brawl there was some backlash (unlike 64) but not really as much and most of the backlash was who didn't make it in the roster over who did (the only exception being R.O.B.) - there weren't any heavy clones there either. In Smash 4, the only reason people particularly got antsy about it is the clones we got were from two franchises that already got supporting characters and we were thin on those - especially when, as one example, star fox lost a character.

I feel like as long as they don't bloat up the rosters with echoes compared to newcomers, especially with the marketing, things will probably be fine. There'll be some complaining, but it's more a vocal minority

(Really, after Melee, I only saw it heavily come up with Lucina and Dark Pit - As a fan of Nintendo's broad and very interesting supporting characters, I can understand the yelling, even though I didn't agree with it.)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I still see a lot of people arguing that Waluigi still has a chance to be in. He is a "cheater" anyway.

I don't personally think he will be in but it would be a really cool way to troll the fans
You know dude, when we said to change your icon

We meant to change it to something that isn’t the same creepy fetish as your last one.

Anyway everyone, I’m gonna go to bed. Or at least try to since the neighbors are partying with loud music and it’s approaching midnight. If I still lurk it’s cause I can’t sleep

Last edited:

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
And for tomorrow's preview:

Otacon: Let's just say things are kind of complicated in Hyrule when it comes to time-related stuff...

Next up: :ultlink:
Not gonna lie, if anyone here is using there time to entertain the forum through this info drought its you, keep it up. Oh and also leak hunter tehponycorn. (Even though these "leaks" are gonna make me need therapy before the game even releases).

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I dunno, most of the """gods""" in Kid Icarus die when you breathe on them too hard.

It took Ridley being blown to pieces then a planet exploding on the pieces to die. And even then, it's implied that his DNA is sentient to the point that it remembers Samus after being cloned or the creature itself is just incredibly good at threat assessment. (Other M's horrid writing makes it hard to tell what the implication was, because DNA was treated like SCIENCEMAGIC in it and Fusion.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom