• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
So, I'll be honest here, since Sakurai stated that we won't expect a hefty amount of newcomers, I could "possibly" see 5 newcomers at best; 3 are Newcomers, and 2 are Echoes; if that's the case, what are the 5 characters that ya'll would like to see in Ultimate; (EDIT) ya'll can tweak it if you like

Me: Newcomers are K.Rool, Crash, & Simon Belmont.
Echoes are somewhat tricky to pick, but it'll be Dark Samus and... I guess Chrom.
Newcomers: Phoenix Wright, K. K. Rool, and Banjo Kazooie
Echoes: Alph I guess instead of him being a costume (or Louie), and Impa

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Someone from Three Houses will be DLC, 1000%. Same with a Gen 8 Pokemon. Three Houses and Pokemon Switch are going to be Nintendo's two biggest 2019 releases, and I fully expect them to capitalize on them to the full extent. This is true even if both Fire Emblem and Pokemon get base game newcomers, imo.
People will probably get hella upset like they did with Corrin, but I'd be super down for Edelgard getting in as DLC. Having an axe user in Smash would be nice, if only for the sake of weapon variety.

Zeox

Smash Champion
I'm actually surprised that the smash blog has been 3 days without anything new, no assist trophies, no fighter of the day, no music, nothing.
Maybe they are finally gonna start uploading stages and items? or they are just in a break

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'm actually surprised that the smash blog has been 3 days without anything new, no assist trophies, no fighter of the day, no music, nothing.
Maybe they are finally gonna start uploading stages and items? or they are just in a break
They are probably discussing who fans will be more excited for, Dark Pit or R.O.B.?

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
We had Bewear on Friday and the blog doesn't update on the weekends.

Unless this is a joke I'm really confused.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ancient Minister confirmed?
Nah, Dark ROB is the only other ROB left, who secretly survived from the events in Subspace Emissary and now wants to avenge his brothers's death, blaming the Ancient Minister.
Dark Pit and R.O.B. has to team up to defeat him.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
On the topic of R.O.B., I still kinda wish the Famicom was default, I know it makes sense why they changed it but he looks much better with red. And it creates a lot of inconsistency with him having different defaults in different regions.

Also I want him to get colours based on other Nintendo systems

Purple and Black GameCube
White and Blue Wii
Black and Blue Wii U
Neon joycons, one arm red, the other blue

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Someone from Three Houses will be DLC, 1000%. Same with a Gen 8 Pokemon. Three Houses and Pokemon Switch are going to be Nintendo's two biggest 2019 releases, and I fully expect them to capitalize on them to the full extent. This is true even if both Fire Emblem and Pokemon get base game newcomers, imo.
I'd be fine with Pokemon getting promotion, because oddly enough, none of the Pokemon characters so far have been added strictly for promotional reasons (and even then, its massive popularity would justify any promotion). But FE? This would be ridiculous. We've already thrown it a bone twice with Roy and Corrin. How many times does this series need to be given a crutch with characters in Smash?

I get that Nintendo wants to promote new games, but there's a difference between the reception with Pokemon and FE characters. With one series, people are excitedly guessing who we could get in Smash, regardless of how many characters the franchise already has. With the other, people are reluctantly and begrudgingly preparing themselves for a character from the franchise.

Even on Smashboards, a place where Fire Emblem overall has a good rep, a large number of people are complaining about the number of characters. There's just no thrill or excitement for the characters anymore. People are burnt out with the FE series, and after the less than stellar reception of Corrin, I can't imagine a DLC FE character doing much good. It would accomplish the goal of promoting the new FE game, but that's about it.

TeX

Smash Rookie
So I've got a weird feeling that Amaterasu from the game okami might come out left field as dlc or just straight roster. Mainly my suspicion lies in the fact that Okami, despite having remasters every year was NOT in MarvelVsCapcom infinite and has never been data mine'd as dlc in any updates since the game's release which is a bit fishy. Not only that but the remaster for the switch comes at a suspicious time as well. With everyone going with the hype train leaks I feel Sakurai is going to pull Amaterasu out of the blue like he did cloud.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'd be fine with Pokemon getting promotion, because oddly enough, none of the Pokemon characters so far have been added strictly for promotional reasons (and even then, its massive popularity would justify any promotion). But FE? This would be ridiculous. We've already thrown it a bone twice with Roy and Corrin. How many times does this series need to be given a crutch with characters in Smash?

I get that Nintendo wants to promote new games, but there's a difference between the reception with Pokemon and FE characters. With one series, people are excitedly guessing who we could get in Smash, regardless of how many characters the franchise already has. With the other, people are reluctantly and begrudgingly preparing themselves for a character from the franchise.

Even on Smashboards, a place where Fire Emblem overall has a good rep, a large number of people are complaining about the number of characters. There's just no thrill or excitement for the characters anymore. People are burnt out with the FE series, and after the less than stellar reception of Corrin, I can't imagine a DLC FE character doing much good. It would accomplish the goal of promoting the new FE game, but that's about it.
I think the more important point to note that Sakurai already felt there was too many FE characters before Corrin was even added. This is a point few people care to notice.

D

Deleted member

On the topic of R.O.B., I still kinda wish the Famicom was default, I know it makes sense why they changed it but he looks much better with red. And it creates a lot of inconsistency with him having different defaults in different regions.

Also I want him to get colours based on other Nintendo systems

Purple and Black GameCube
White and Blue Wii
Black and Blue Wii U
Neon joycons, one arm red, the other blue
I've always wanted R.O.B. to have console themed alts, but more than anything else, I want the Mario Kart R.O.B, which has almost no chance of happening.
ROB_DS_PM.png

Not going to lie, I really, really want Edelgard from Three Houses in just because she has the same voice actress as English dub Homura Akemi. If we got any other character from that game, I'd be pretty bummed.

D

Deleted member

This is beautiful, but it makes me wonder where the rest of his games like Pikmin 2, Kirby's Dreamland 3, Wario Ware, Star Fox and Majora's Mask 3D take place.
It's not shown here, but there is a split in the timeline when the Robot is successful where the events of Brawl do not occur because Tabuu is sealed. There, R.O.B.s are free to spread across the known universe.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Given :ultcorrin:'s more than mixed reception and Sakurai saying himself there's too much FE characters, no, I wouldn't be that confident if I were you.

Besides, assuming by its name, Three Houses might be another entry divided in different versions, like :ultcorrin:'s game, thus it's gonna be redundant staple-wise.

I also suspect people here to really overestimate FE Heroes's influence on the character choices.

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
I think the more important point to note that Sakurai already felt there was too many FE characters before Corrin was even added. This is a point few people care to notice.
Ehh, well, Sakurai's felt certain ways about a lot of things before and changed his mind later. I don't have a particular desire for any more FE characters myself, but given that he said that more than two years ago, who knows how he feels about it now.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
He also said Ridley wouldn't work. What he said for Smash 4 isn't necessarily true for Ultimate.

osby

Smash Obsessed
He also said Ridley wouldn't work. What he said for Smash 4 isn't necessarily true for Ultimate.
Sure, but remember he rejected Chrom and accepted Corrin. Corrin added because, in the end, he'll be a unique addition that can do things no other character from Fire Emblem can.
I know Sakurai changes his mind about things but Edelgard, as far as we seen her, seems to bring very little to table in terms of gameplay. Axe is cool and all but I don't think it's something that can justify her inclusion.
If I'm wrong, anyone can remind me to eat my words, though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
CERO apparently is OK with Love is Blue but Palutena's leg is too much.

Priorities.
Ironically, it's not too much leg that's the problem, but more the underwear exposure risk. Yes, I know that one of Shulk's palettes has him wearing only boxer shorts, but being male lets him off the hook.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
To be fair, it's not like Sakurai had many other options for a Metroid newcomer besides Ridley. There was Dark Samus, Sylux, and...that's pretty much it. Besides, neither of those characters can compete with the iconic villain who appeared in virtually every Metroid game.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The "problem" is too many anime swordsmen, I don't think an anime axe woman would be a bother.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Ironically, it's not too much leg that's the problem, but more the underwear exposure risk. Yes, I know that one of Shulk's palettes has him wearing only boxer shorts, but being male lets him off the hook.
To be fair, it's not like Sakurai had many other options for a Metroid newcomer besides Ridley. There was Dark Samus, Sylux, and...that's pretty much it. Besides, neither of those characters can compete with the iconic villain who appeared in virtually every Metroid game.
I swear, both of you become active at the same time and I constantly mix the two of you up because of the Rosalina avis

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think he passes because that's swimwear. More European than what US audiences may be used to but still swimwear

I wonder if that's why Mario Odyssey got a high rating in Japan...

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The trouble with that comparison is that Sakurai confirmed that he changed his mind because of overwhelming demand for Ridley, something that a 7th FE character doesn't have. So that example hurts your argument rather than supports it.

I also suspect people here to really overestimate FE Heroes's influence on the character choices.
It's definitely not going to affect the base roster due to when that app was released.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The trouble with that comparison is that Sakurai confirmed that he changed his mind because of overwhelming demand for Ridley, something that a 7th FE character doesn't have. So that example hurts your argument rather than supports it.

It's definitely not going to affect the base roster due to when that app was released.
Fan demand doesn't affect whether something is impossible. Sakurai adding Ridley shows that Sakurai was wrong when he said Ridley was impossible.

Likewise, he felt six Fire Emblem characters was a lot for a 58 character roster. It may not be too much for a 70+ character roster.

blackghost

Smash Champion
the too many FE complaint to me is hilarious when fans begged for roy to be back. then turned around and showed disgust towards the UNIQUE addition while simultaneously not playing the character they begged for. (i never saw roy ANYWHERE online and he was never picked locally by me or my friends.) if there houses has a unique weapon using a character that is critical to the plot that character should be given consideration. I'd welcome it or they could come out of left field and make a dancer like azura playable (music user/weapon) or a heroes character fjorm would be my first pick. either of these picks would be good dlc characters.
i simply never want to see a Marth clone added again.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Fan demand doesn't affect whether something is impossible. Sakurai adding Ridley shows that Sakurai was wrong when he said Ridley was impossible.

Likewise, he felt six Fire Emblem characters was a lot for a 58 character roster. It may not be too much for a 70+ character roster.
I'll admit, the number of FE characters stopped being a problem for me, when I learn we have 68 fighters. However, I still insist on one thing: A new character from the series likely have to be more interesting than Robin and Corrin, if they are going to be unique.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The "problem" is too many anime swordsmen, I don't think an anime axe woman would be a bother.
Edelgard still is a sword-user in addition to being another FE character, the latter which is the "real issue" for people. Besides, her aesthetic design means she'll still get the "anime" complaint no matter what.

He already felt 5 characters was too many for a 50+ character roster. That and thinking something was unfeasible =/= thinking something is undesirable and he had concerns about the number of characters before Corrin was added. He most likely would think 6 is more than enough for even a 70+ character roster.

There is also the matter that distribution between franchises is something he takes into account, which is something to note.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Edelgard still is a sword-user in addition to being another FE character, the latter which is the "real issue" for people. Besides, her aesthetic design means she'll still get the "anime" complaint no matter what.

He already felt 5 characters was too many for a 50+ character roster. That and thinking something was unfeasible =/= thinking something is undesirable and he had concerns about the number of characters before Corrin was added. He most likely would think 6 is more than enough for even a 70+ character roster.
But that's just the thing, you're speculating what Sakurai thinks the "limit" is this time, but earlier you were stating it like a fact. I could just as easily say he felt five was fine but six was too much because if Fire Emblem had a six person cast in a roster of less than sixty, it'd take up more than one tenth of the roster. But if there are over seventy characters, then seven takes up less than one tenth.

Both views are valid because, in the end, we don't know, nor can we pretend to.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think he passes because that's swimwear. More European than what US audiences may be used to but still swimwear

I wonder if that's why Mario Odyssey got a high rating in Japan...
Whatever the reason, it seems pretty clear that the censoring of female underwear has become a thing after Smash 3DS / Wii U. This would make sense if you're trying to give Smash Ultimate the E10+ rating.

osby

Smash Obsessed
the too many FE complaint to me is hilarious when fans begged for roy to be back. then turned around and showed disgust towards the UNIQUE addition while simultaneously not playing the character they begged for. (i never saw roy ANYWHERE online and he was never picked locally by me or my friends.) if there houses has a unique weapon using a character that is critical to the plot that character should be given consideration. I'd welcome it or they could come out of left field and make a dancer like azura playable (music user/weapon) or a heroes character fjorm would be my first pick. either of these picks would be good dlc characters.
i simply never want to see a Marth clone added again.
Firstly, from what I've seen, Roy was more popular among casuals and he's low tier so not seeing him online doesn't say much.
Secondly, you can't pick side characters over main ones if protagonist also has a unique ability. It would be biased.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Lots to quote again, let's see...

Along with Ashgenocidueyisaac
If Geno is in and doesn't have the option to do a Genocide suicide tactic, I'll be disappointed.

The Mario Tennis Stream made me learn that Boo's japanese name is Teresa lol.
Occasionally, in Japan Mario characters have the most ordinary names, like Catherine (for Birdo, no less).

Here is the image to prove I am not lying:
On a side note, can we appreciate how far the series has come in terms of having background characters? I've always wanted to see background characters watching the matches and/or cheering on. The Animal Crossing stages weren't quite there yet, so this is nice.

You know he only has that avatar because you all keep reacting to it, right?
The only reason I haven't said a word about it is I'm conditioned to that stuff at this point. :snake:

Remember everyone, don't buy into every "leak" you come across. Keeping speculation going is nice, but virtually all leaks are just hogwash in the end. We will get info. When, is up to Nintendo and Sakurai, not anonymous online leakers giving random dates.
Especially ones that make you do stupid games. At that point, it's not speculation source, it's an asylum.

They're so busy with the game that even the site updaters are caught up in the development cycle.

Whatever the reason, it seems pretty clear that the censoring of female underwear has become a thing after Smash 3DS / Wii U. This would make sense if you're trying to give Smash Ultimate the E10+ rating.
I wonder if Shantae's skin exposure would have her require to be in as DLC. Either that, or hoping that people are used to Arabian culture habits. At least it's a good thing her series is already E10+, since it's wholesome despite that.

Also, I will never not find what they did for Rosalina's underside funny. :p

There's still Weevil, the guy's a cyborg space Pirate. Granted he's low on the totem pole of importance compared to the above so it'd be grasping at straws at that point. We really only need Dark Samus and Sylux.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
With the leak in the dumpster now

I'm sure we will get a new character reveal very soon

Because these E3 droughts are usually a month long before focusing on more new stuff/info

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Can't wait to add Dark R.O.B. to the R.O.B. timeline!

View attachment 153958
Damn that got dark
But that's just the thing, you're speculating what Sakurai thinks the "limit" is this time, but earlier you were stating it like a fact. I could just as easily say he felt five was fine but six was too much because if Fire Emblem had a six person cast in a roster of less than sixty, it'd take up more than one tenth of the roster. But if there are over seventy characters, then seven takes up less than one tenth.

Both views are valid because, in the end, we don't know, nor can we pretend to.
Good thing there’s now technically 5 Fire Emblem characters numbering wise
Poor Pandora if she’s dead...which I hope not cause she was the best villain from the Underworld crew other than Hades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom