• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Project (Finally Finished!???)

Which title should we use?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
As I said in the previous discussion round, we’ve had our share of techy gunners and I think a moveset that just goes all-in on explosions might fit better. In that case Sami’s hands-on approach is preferable to a second set-up character post-Dave

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Poll is up!

Would Sami have a distinct enough moveset from Snake?
I feel we could probably give her a moveset that’s less Snake’ish and more akin to the games. Summoning units and buffing them, turn based elements, and even summoning help from the other officers.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
As I said in the previous discussion round, we’ve had our share of techy gunners and I think a moveset that just goes all-in on explosions might fit better. In that case Sami’s hands-on approach is preferable to a second set-up character post-Dave
It isn't clear on whether or not he will be a gimmicky character, I mean we could have all Andy's attack calling his troop to attack essentially like Barista, Sami would probably stray pretty far from her game origin Falcon and Star Fox crew style if we wanted it to be like something from Project M.

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I feel we could probably give her a moveset that’s less Snake’ish and more akin to the games. Summoning units and buffing them, turn based elements, and even summoning help from the other officers.
The thing is that people seem to want Sami to be less gimmicky. My concern is that, while she could do just that, a moveset like that would be very visually similar to Snake.
But then again, I know basically nothing about either Sami or Andy, and I would appreciate it if someone could give me a brief summary of what sets them apart.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
I'm honestly not too familiar with Advance Wars, so I don't have many ideas for a specific playstyle.

Personally, I think that I'd prefer something akin to C. Falcon and Fox, which is why I prefer Sami as she seems to be more 'fit for battle.' I'm just a little burnt out on summoning characters. I'm sure that we could have a mostly original moveset that still captures the essence of Sami's character.
The thing is that people seem to want Sami to be less gimmicky. My concern is that, while she could do just that, a moveset like that would be very visually similar to Snake.
But then again, I know basically nothing about either Sami or Andy, and I would appreciate it if someone could give me a brief summary of what sets them apart.
I feel like you could say a similar thing about Marth, Ike, Cloud, and pretty much anyone else who uses a sword. There are a lot of ways to use military equipment, so I have faith that Sami could be original.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
I don't know much about these guys other than an old LP I watched but I kinda think it would be more fun to sort of give them a "Fox-like" moveset where we imagine them as if they were fighting on ground over trying to literally simulate the tactical RPG nature of the game. It would kinda harken back to the classic days where someone like Fox or Captain Falcon nowadays would have their moveset highly tuned to making them play almost exactly as they do to their home game. Does that make sense?

Jondolio

Smash Hero
I feel like you could say a similar thing about Marth, Ike, Cloud, and pretty much anyone else who uses a sword. There are a lot of ways to use military equipment, so I have faith that Sami could be original.
I mean, fair, but then you have a character that just shoots differently. It's a unique moveset, sure, but it's bland and has nothing to do with the actual series they're from.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I have limited time during the day due to my new teaching position so I’m sorry if I don’t get back to you on this but abilities in regards to their units and the buffs they provide is key to their playstyle from the games. Andy is an all around officer who provides a number of benefits relating in healing his units and buffing attack and defense.

Sami buffs her units via firepower boosts, decreased capture times, and overall movement speed.

I envisioned a more Rambo-oriented playstyle from MK11 when submitting Sami but I’m open to interpretations.

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I'm just a little burnt out on summoning character
Should have made Eggman relying on his attachment more than spawning in badniks

In all honesty this like what, the second time we have summoning multiple character as their playstyle, Barista is the first one which is long ago and the recent one being Dave, that barely scratches the surface.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Sami buffs her units via firepower boosts, decreased capture times, and overall movement speed.
Interesting. So if we were to go for a more simplistic moveset, would she be more of a glass cannon? High power and speed, but easily gimped. If we did do that, then that would easily distinguish her from Snake.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
I really do not want this character to be another gimmick/accuracy-centered character. I'm kinda glad Jill lost because I don't want to have to work with a terrible gear-shifting mechanic.
I mean Jill could just use her standard drill for most of her attack, it's not like Samus uses all of her upgrades or that Bayonetta uses all of her weapon.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Just an idea…

What if instead of summoning ACTUAL units, she summoned firepower from offscreen units? For example, she radioes in a carpet bomb for her up special, her side special or something can fire a cruise missile across the stage from the direction Sami is closest to, etc. She can access her CO abilities with buffs these sort of attacks thus pointing back to the original source where they only affect her units.

This can be applied to Andy just as well as Sami though Andy’s CO abilities with focus on damage output along with the ability to heal himself while Sami would be more along the lines of damage output, attack speed, and frame priority.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I mean Jill could just use her standard drill for most of her attack, it's not like Samus uses all of her upgrades or that Bayonetta uses all of her weapon.
That's exactly what I'm saying - that's the moveset I'd want, but the threadowners would try to get us to theorycraft a gimmick.

Just an idea…

What if instead of summoning ACTUAL units, she summoned firepower from offscreen units? Got example, she radioes in a carpet bomb for her up special, her side special or something can fire a cruise missile across the stage from the direction Sami is closest to, etc. She can access her CO abilities with buffs these sort of attacks thus pointing back to the original source where they only affect her units.
I can't say for the rest of the thread, but compromise won't work for me. What I want, at the very least, is a standard military-themed fighter with no gimmicks - as similar to Snake as Ike to Marth.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Interesting. So if we were to go for a more simplistic moveset, would she be more of a glass cannon? High power and speed, but easily gimped. If we did do that, then that would easily distinguish her from Snake.
never played advance wars, but I assume her bazooka is unwieldy to use. Though it can deal a powerful punch from the right range and with right support of her tanks, it’s a bit slow and doesn’t translate perfectly to nice angled sword strikes. She still has military training and still has a bazooka, so she would be much less of a full on summoner and wouldn’t completely rely on the Infantry and Tanks, although they can help with disruption while Sami‘s main strength lie in the ranges the Infantry and Tanks don’t cover, and vice-versa

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Regardless, who wins we will be doing a gameplay submission and I will be encouraging various kinds of gameplay; not just gimmicky ones.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
My stance in short is that summoning and stage control comes in all shapes and sizes and degrees. Sami doesn’t have to go all-in on being a Fox-like dilution of elements and Andy doesn’t have to be a military grade Dave-esque lackey

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
This vitriol could’ve been better relegated to the previous voting rounds’ discussion. Advance Wars is a series about deploying units, it’d be weird to fully steer away from summoning elements.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
This vitriol could’ve been better relegated to the previous voting rounds’ discussion. Advance Wars is a series about deploying units, it’d be weird to fully steer away from summoning elements.
Star Fox is a series about piloting jets, the spacies don't use jets, they have some of the most universally loved movesets in Smash history. Quality matters, not accuracy.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
My stance in short is that summoning and stage control comes in all shapes and sizes and degrees. Sami doesn’t have to go all-in on being a Fox-like dilution of elements and Andy doesn’t have to be a military grade Dave-esque lackey
Basically this, I'm not against Sami but we can just have a normal moveset with normal specials but with more commanding element for Andy.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I’m neutral on summoning mechanics. To me, Dave isn’t a 100% summoner as he uses the tools he has on hand and then utilizes them to control the stage. Even Olimar isn’t the summoner as some paint him to be. Dr. Eggman and perhaps Officer Howard are our main summoners. Personally, when I think of summoner, I think of someone like Jack-O from Guilty Gear or Gargos from Killer Instinct.

I am fine with whatever gameplay we decide to go and have really no stake in any one getting chosen; regardless if it’s Sami or Andy. That being said, if I was to be personal about it, I do really like the idea of getting off-screen support from units and her CO abilities. Not adding the CO abilities is like not giving Shulk Monado Arts lol.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Could also go the Duck Hunt route? Or is that part of the concern? Like a tank quickly spawns for a smash attack like the wild gunmen do

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
I gotta be honest, if we do another "choose the critera/theme for the next character" job, I'm going for "character with no summons, meters. stat boosts, stances, or otherwise gimmicky features".

Yes, it'd really just be unthemed and allow whatever popular picks we haven't put in yet an easy win, but anything for less gimmicks.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Seeing a tank and jet missile coming out from her submachine gun would be hella odd lol
Represented as in the qualities they have: A stronger tank that is rarer versus a weaker tank that has strength in numbers? That’s a choice that can translate to missiles or grenade types.

In defense of summoning characters, the amount with summonish elements among veterans is very low. Pac-Man, Bowser Jr, Diddy, Duck Hunt and Olimar are the only ones I can think of and they play vastly different. Even if Andy were just to be Explosive Dave, I believe the roster can shoulder that sort of double dip. Luckily, the assortment of veterans hopefully proves that doesn’t have to be the case and a few summoners can co-exist.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Could also go the Duck Hunt route? Or is that part of the concern? Like a tank quickly spawns for a smash attack like the wild gunmen do
Yeah, that's part of the concern. Summoning is fun, but there are more ways characters can fight than just "sword, punch, gun or summon" - I think we're talking too much about "unique" and not enough about "fun". We should be discussing if say, Saki/Andy is a rushdown or a zoner as well as which sub-archetype they'd fall into (if one of those two at all), not whether they'd be summoner or not.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Hmm then maybe Andy would be more of summoner and Sami could be more of the specialized combat personnel. Since Advance Wars is about strategically commanding units and not individual combat it would be more appropriate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom