• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros. Infinite Beyond

Which option should we go with for our winter/star-based fourth party Mii costume

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

darkvortex

Smash Lord
Thoughts on our lineup. Skipping Miku as she is my own submission -

Rayman - If we go for a westren scrimblo platformer then I think this is the best bet. He doesn't have the most active life right now but he's a huge request and fits the vibe pretty easily. Dispite being neglected by his publisher, I think this a Banjo case where he makes the most sense over stuff like ac due to fan demand. Plus his stage will eh great. legends and origins are like top ten best 2d platformers imo

Hyabusa - Pretty big character. another huge fan request and a big publisher who have yet to get a rep. Ninjas are cool. Personally I think there are more interesting options but he could have a great moveset

Dante - Now. As someone who was a big Dante person during Ultimate, I do wonder if we have too much falcon right now. It's got Ryu, Ken, Mega Man, Roll, Phoenix, Jill, Leon. Six characters. I just wonder if we should spend this spot on another. We also have the character action thing highly covered. However I do think he's a great pull from a fandom pleasing perspective. He could also have a great moveset.

Saber - Saber had a couple close calls during our previous DLC rounds. she's from a dried that's huge in Japan, but somewhat nechie overseas. I don't think this a bad thing persay. she kind of me of Sakura in that she's a fairly neiche character who users in the thread are really passionate about. I think we could do something cool with her. another swordy, but from my limited knowledge it seems like she's got a lot to pull from.

Sub\Scorp - Man. We've got a lot of fighting games. Ryu, Ken, Terry, Rock, Kazuya, Jin, Nightmare, Sol. Eight. That's a lot. MK is super iconic though, and MK vs SF is something fans have wanted to see since these franchises began. It is pretty unknown in Japan, but I don't think that matters too much. I also don't think the violence is too and an issue, we have Doomslayer and Bayonetta and Scorpion and Sub-Zero have thrown it done with the Justice League, it can be done. I do wanna spread the genre love about more though.

Bomberman - Pretty iconic character. One of the big Nintendo but not Nintendo mascot types left. I personally think he's fine in the role he's in, and I say this as someone who likes his games a fair bit. I've yet to see a moveset that really wows me. I like the little guy though.

Hunter - MH is a deeply iconic series, but as I said with Dante we have a lot of Capcom. Not only that but MH is pretty well prepped with a boss and a stage, there's more locations we could pull from of course, there's endless moveset potential too. I personally just think they're fine with what they have.

Master Chief - Now if we want a Sora level pick this is the one. We don't really have a full homegrown Microsoft rep, and with Ratchet in I think that's something that would be really cool, to get a true Ninty vs PS vs XBOX showdown. Halo is a super iconic game and I really don't think his similarities to Doomslayer matter. My issue with Cheif has always been. How I think he'd play. I think Cheif in modern Namco era smash would be a really annoying zoner, but we get to dictate the movesets here so I guess it's not a big deal. I'm no Halo fan but I understand how huge this would be.

Rabbid - I get the reasoning behind this, I do. But I'd just rather have Rayman, I'm sorry. I do think they could have a crazy wacky fun moveset, and I actually have a lot of love for the Rabbids games, but I just think it should be Rayman.

Jaina - Warcraft is a massive franchise. MMO's are a huge part of gaming that Smash Hasan really touched on at all. And aside from maybe FF14, WOW is a the biggest one. However, maybe this is the super casual in me but I really feel like the Warcraft rep should be an Orc? when someone thinks of World of Warcraft, they think of Orcs. They mad e above all about the Orcs. I know Jaina is a popular and important character, but I just think it's a wired direction to take this in

Chell - Valve is a huge publisher, and getting a rep from them could be cool. We do already have a Portal stage though. I do think the Portal gun could have been a cool item but I don't think of Chell herself as much of af ighter really. Portals could be fun gimmick but like, what would she do other than that? It's not impossible to make her work but I think there are other ways to represent the franchise.

D.Va - You know. I actually kinda like this! OW is a big franchise, despite the lackluster reception to the sequel. It's a game that's known for its popular characters, so adding one does make sense. I know everyone is gonna go for Tracer first, and I do think she could be cool, but I do think this is an ARMS case where it doesn't need to be the cover stat. D.Va is like one of the most recognisable characters and I just think the idea of a mech user is fun, I remember that old fake leak from Ultimate about a female mech user. We do have Eggman and I guess DJ Octavio but this would be different. OW has dropped in popularity though so I wonder if the timing is right

Carmen - I'm all for wacky outside the box picks but I'm not sure I feel this one. I'm aware she started out as a game character, and while I know this is very rich coming from the person who submitted Miku, but I just think of her more as a cartoon character than anything. There's probably a fun moveset you could do but this just isn't one I have any attachment to. I mean no disrespect, every submission is vaild.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
When voting, please remember that we will be using this slot for not only only final fighter but also our only non-echo third-party fighter. This character should not only serve those two purposes but also fulfill fan wishes, bring in a profit, generate hype, and leave a lasting legacy for future Smash titles just as Snake, Mega Man, and Sora did years before.
Wait, THAT was supposed to be the job prompt? If I knew that, I would've... well, still submitted Yorgle, but after getting vetoed I'd have submitted a GTA or COD character or something, not Rabbids.

Last edited:

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
While Rayman (the series technically started with a SNES prototype, besides following exclusives, Legends being one of Wii U's first third-party titles and Rayman 2 debuting from N64), Ryu Hayabusa and Bomberman are my particular top choices for this job, I always thought that Master Chief's reveal could end with something like this.

Mario, Chief and Ratchet (representing the big three companies) could stand on a huge cliffside as the entire cast from Infinite and Beyond are right behind them, all watching a Halo Array ring far from the horizon, in a camera perspective similar to Brawl's opening cutscene and Sora's trailer, based on the last scene of Halo Infinite's announcement trailer at E3 2018. And all of this while Finish the Fight (following a medley-like arrangement of Halo's theme by Martin O'Donnell during gameplay footage) plays before a SSB:IB logo and copyright/release date screen.

EDIT: Or, if we do go for a traditional handshake, have all three mascots doing that together (with Mario in the middle). Think of it like when Shawn Layden, Phil Spencer and Reggie Fils-Aime were in a same stage on The Game Awards 2018.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Wait, THAT was supposed to be the job prompt? If I knew that, I would've... well, still submitted Yorgle, but after getting vetoed I'd have submitted a GTA or COD character or something, not Rabbids.
I really actually liked the Rabbid submission. But CoD would of been fun as well!

Whoever wins this gets to shake Mario's hand in a redo of this, only with all the Infinite and Infinite Beyond characters added in the background as well.

View attachment 379566
Minus third partycharacters unless that character is from that company (looking at you Cloud and Sephiroth).

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Voting is closed. We had a last-minute push seemingly which had upset the lead. I had double-checked the numbers and everything seems to have corrected itself from my prior observations. If you notice a change in votes, please let me know. I will publish the results in a little bit

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here are the results of voting for our third-party character submissions! Again, I apologize for the tumultuous submission period and I will work hard to further start prompts in a clear and concise manner.

Please check down below the results of the submission voting...

Name5 Points4 Points3 Points2 Points1 PointTotal
Scorpion/Subzero1 (5)2 (8)1 (3)1 (2)220
Rabbid003 (9)2 (4)013
Hayabusa02 (8)1 (3)1 (2)215
Rayman3 (15)4 (16)1 (3)2 (4)240
Artoria4 (20)02 (6)0329
Dante03 (12)3 (9)1 (3)024
Bomberman3 (15)1 (4)2 (6)2 (4)029
D.Va1 (5)1 (4)1 (3)2 (4)016
Jaina0003 (6)17
Chell2 (10)3 (12)1 (3)0227
Carmen Sandiego001 (3)1 (2)27
Hunter1 (5)01 (3)1 (2)111
Hastune Miku1 (5)3 (12)01 (2)221
Master Chief5 (25)1 (4)2 (6)3 (6)344

What seemed like an upset quickly devolved into a final push for one character which was interesting, to say the least. That being said, I made the final mistake of not only collecting the votes early on but also allowing more votes to be submitted. I then collected those votes after a certain time had past without closing voting. So as I was counting, more votes were coming in. I feel like I may have meesed my math up somewhere but the frontrunners in the voting were enough for me to feel confident in publishing the results. I also voted but I usually do at the tail end as I publish results without filling out the form. I do that for my own schedule as I am usually quite busy. I believe these are the correct number of votes. We did get a category 3 vote not filled out which surprised me by GolisoPower GolisoPower so make sure everyone fills out these votes before submitting. I decided to OK it as it was a one-time offense.

We will be conducting a runoff poll between the following characters:

Rayman was originally in the lead with a number of points but the last-minute submissions caused Master Chief to score a huge lead. With that being said, since Rayman was within the 5-point margin to nab victory, we will be going with a runoff poll to decide which character we should include. Third-place ties Artoria and Bomberman were nowhere within striking distance to Rayman hence why they are not included. You will find voting on top of the thread via thread poll. It will be opened for about 6 hours or so.

If you want to take a look at the scoring from Forms, here it is. Again, it does not take my votes into consideration so please keep that in mind.
Forms response chart. Question title: Please vote. Ranked voting is on. We have 5 points as the most and 1 point being the least. Number of responses: .

Last edited:

TheMicRula

Smash Apprentice
Here are the results of voting for our third-party character submissions! Again, I apologize for the tumultuous submission period and I will work hard to further start prompts in a clear and concise manner.

Please check down below the results of the submission voting...

Name5 Points4 Points3 Points2 Points1 PointTotal
Scorpion/Subzero1 (5)2 (8)1 (3)1 (2)220
Rabbid003 (9)2 (4)013
Hayabusa02 (8)1 (3)1 (2)215
Rayman3 (15)4 (16)1 (3)2 (4)240
Artoria4 (20)02 (6)0329
Dante03 (12)3 (9)1 (3)024
Bomberman3 (15)1 (4)2 (6)2 (4)029
D.Va1 (5)1 (4)1 (3)2 (4)016
Jaina0003 (6)17
Chell2 (10)3 (12)1 (3)0227
Carmen Sandiego001 (3)1 (2)27
Hunter1 (5)01 (3)1 (2)111
Hastune Miku1 (5)3 (12)01 (2)221
Master Chief5 (25)1 (4)2 (6)3 (6)344

What seemed like an upset quickly devolved into a final push for one character which was interesting, to say the least. That being said, I made the final mistake of not only collecting the votes early on but also allowing more votes to be submitted. I then collected those votes after a certain time had past without closing voting. So as I was counting, more votes were coming in. I feel like I may have meesed my math up somewhere but the frontrunners in the voting were enough for me to feel confident in publishing the results. I also voted but I usually do at the tail end as I publish results without filling out the form. I do that for my own schedule as I am usually quite busy. I believe these are the correct number of votes. We did get a category 3 vote not filled out which surprised me by GolisoPower GolisoPower so make sure everyone fills out these votes before submitting. I decided to OK it as it was a one-time offense.

We will be conducting a runoff poll between the following characters:

Rayman was originally in the lead with a number of points but the last-minute submissions caused Master Chief to score a huge lead. With that being said, since Rayman was within the 5-point margin to nab victory, we will be going with a runoff poll to decide which character we should include. Third-place ties Artoria and Bomberman were nowhere within striking distance to Rayman hence why they are not included. You will find voting on top of the thread via thread poll. It will be opened for about 6 hours or so.

If you want to take a look at the scoring from Forms, here it is. Again, it does not take my votes into consideration so please keep that in mind.
View attachment 379594
Wow! It's really cool how both are in the finals! Good luck to everyone, and may the best win!

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Both of them are great picks, Chief is a good choice of having a Xbox character and Rayman is a good choice of having a character from a non-japanese and non-american character,i know that Ahri,Red,Banjo and Steve are in Smash Infinite Beyond,but Rayman is most requested pick

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Both of these characters have enormous Smash fanbases (I'm talking about fanbases for Smash, not the size of overall fanbase), so it's difficult to tell who's going to take it. It's probably going to be very close, even could be decided in the last minutes of the poll.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Currently tied. I’ll hold off my vote for a tiebreaker if need be.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
For gimmicks/mechanics, while Master Chief may get use of a energy shield on his Mjolnir armor (since Doom Slayer's got ammunition), I'm sure Rayman could also have potential like having the Combat-Fatigue power-ups from Rayman 3, which may be implemented either almost similarly to Shulk's Monado Arts (giving him different attributes) or a gauge that grants him new special attacks and a Lockjaw grab once full until it fills entirely down (I've made a moveset as an example in the past). He can even use plum-like Guard turrets, and Vortex/Shock Rocket costumes for summoning tornadoes to pull in opponents and a rideable rocket from Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope (perhaps his design should be used, since it's like an amalgamation of his older appearances besides expressivity, like Simon's).

He could also float in the air with his helicopter hair, though it's a slow descent compared to Peach and Daisy's hover/glide ability (besides crawling & wall-jumping). And finally, his unique, limbless nature may allow for a chargeable Telescopic Fist jab by holding/releasing the attack button hence Steve's (while tapping is a normal melee combo, akin to Min Min's), though his hands can be knocked out while charging stronger fist attacks (this and smash attacks), leaving him with a simple, less-damaging roundhouse kick until he retrieves them back like in Rayman 3. This may work similar to Captain America losing his shield unless he grabs it after throwing in older Marvel vs. Capcom (pre-MvC3) titles.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Hi everyone! I know the thread poll says the poll will be ending in less than an hour but that was before my fat fingers hit the "Close poll at ..... time" option which then reset the counter to never stop. Blame the pumpkin seeds I am baking.

This was counter before my mistake....2 minutes left in the poll

1698019404707.png

And it took me 2 minutes to finish this post so the poll will be finished in just a little bit. It was to finish at 8:05 pm'ish

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Alright everyone, you went through one hell of a submission period with your threadrunner not really handling themselves and criticism directed at them well but I hope this encourages me to not only be more concrete on the prompts I run but also to be more empatheic and community-driven going from here. That being said, our top two characters to included were the following:

Rayman or Master Chief

With my mistake on canceling our timer out, it is officially time to call the race considering the time is technically up

1698019699201.png

It was a VERY NARROW MARGIN with the characters largely neck and neck the entire time with a period of being tied until Chief managed to gain the upper hand with two more votes. Both characters would be perfect but, with that being said, we get to see this happen....

Master Chief will be joining the Brawl as our final character!

Last edited:

TheMicRula

Smash Apprentice
Alright everyone, you went through one hell of a submission period with your threadrunner not really handling themselves and criticism directed at them well but I hope this encourages me to not only be more concrete on the prompts I run but also to be more empatheic and community-driven going from here. That being said, our top two characters to included were the following:

Rayman or Master Chief

With my mistake on canceling our timer out, it is officially time to call the race considering the time is technically up

View attachment 379616

It was a VERY NARROW MARGIN with the characters largely neck and neck the entire time with a period of being tied until Chief managed to gain the upper hand with two more votes. Both characters would be perfect but, with that being said, we get to see this happen....

Master Chief will be joining the Brawl as our final character!

"neck and neck"
Rayman doesn't even have any neck

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Here is our schedule:

1) Master Chief Workshop
2) Master Chief Moveset
3) Additional Content for Chief
4) Halo Stage
5) Halo Content
6) Halo Music
7) Halo Spirits
8) Post-Launch Smash Episode
9) Finish!

I ask everyone to participate because, from what I found when Infinite finished, people began to submit less and less.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
We will begin to open the...

Master Chief Workshop
It goes without saying that the Chief probably has a lot of stuff to bring to the table in regard to arsenal and whatnot. That being said, with Chief in the game, I want to set him apart from Doomslayer. Please review what we have for Doomslayer down below in the spoiler. I spoiled it due to the length:

#?: Doomslayer
Doom
Apart of the "Thy Smash Ball Subsumed Bundle"
Gimmicks and Mechanics

Special Moves

Neutral Special:
Weapon Wheel
By holding down the special button, players can cycle through numerous guns within Doomslayer's inventory which allows him access to the gun via his Jab, Forward Tilt, Neutral Air, and Dash. The weapons are as follows:
Name
Ammo
Description
Combat Shotgun
Pistol
Chaingun
Plasma Rifle
Ballista
Grenade Launcher
Rocket Launcher
Heavy Cannon

Not selecting a gun causes the weapon wheel to cancel out. Each weapon has its own ammo pool and reducing the ammo count to 0 causes the gun to be unable to be selected though Doomslayer can still carry the gun. Performing physical, melee attacks, KOs, or a Glory Kill can cause the ammo count to increase. When carrying an inactive gun that is out of ammo, being close to an opponent causes a punch attack that can help regain ammo.

Side Special: Crucible/Glory Kill/Hell Fist
More detailed write-up coming soon. Doomslayer does an upward swing with the Crucible. When the gauge is filled up, the Mark of the Slayer icon appears above the opponent. Getting in close and hitting side special will change the attack to Glory Kill. This keeps ALL attacks available intact without having to change them during a given situation. Doomslayer can still do a grab while in the Glory state, can still use the Crucible, and has the Glory Kill attack available. If used after landing a Glory Kill, this becomes Blood Punch, a dashing AoE strike that's good for dealing great burst damage.

Up Special: Meathook/V-Jump Boots
The Doom Slayer takes out his Super Shotgun and fires the Meat Hook in the direction of the joystick, automatically snapping to the ledge if he aims there. If aimed at a fighter, they will remain suspended in the air as the Slayer drags himself toward their position. There, one of two options can be done: Press B to release the fighter without sacrificing the Slayer's momentum. Press A to fire a Super Shotgun blast that deals either 16% up close or 8% from far away. If holding the up special neutral will cause a momentary pause before boosting Doomslayer in the air with a midair jump.

Down Special: Equipment Launcher
The Slayer deploys his shoulder gun and shoots one of three options depending on how much you hold the button.
  • Tap: Frag Grenade - It's very similar to the grenade of Snake though it does more damage with the drawback that has less distance.
  • Hold Brief: Ice Bomb - The Slayer shoots a cold grenade, trades the damage for the ability to freeze the opponents similar to the Neutral Special of the Ice Climbers.
  • Hold Long: Flame Belch - The Slayer fires a flamethrower, unlike similar moves like Bowser or Charizard's neutral specials it couldn't be held to maintain the attack.

Final Smash: BFG-10000

The move starts with the Slayer using The Crucible who does a wide front slash, all the opponents who get caught by this attack are send to a cinematic where The Slayer brings his BFG-9000....just to attach it to a different place, then the camera in first person would show the Slayer pointing to the surface of Mars and a shot of outside shows that he was using the upgrade version of the weapon the BFG-10000 to shoot a hole in Mars that destroys the opponents in the process (think in King K. Rool Final Smash but in a bigger scale). If the opponents had 100% of damage or more it would be an instant kill.
On-Screen Appearance
  • The Slayer enters from a portal opened by VEGA.
Idle Poses
  • Stomps his foot forward.
  • Cracks his neck.
Taunts
  • Up Taunt: Doom Slayer checks his ammo.
  • Down Taunt: Doom Slayer hits his weapon with his fist to unjam it.
  • Right Taunt: Doom Slayer takes out a small figurine of himself and fistbumps it. Based on an animation from Doom 2016 when collecting a figurine of himself.
  • Left Taunt: Takes up the Crucible and holds it up high as it glows with red energy.

Victory Poses

• The camera starts pointing at the boots of the Slayer, then raises through his chin where we can see the Slayer taking of his helmet but the camera stops right there, only making the chin visible.
  • The camera is pointed toward the sky as several Imps are sent careening into the distance from an explosion. The camera pans down to show the Slayer fighting an endless horde of demons without so much as tiring, the freeze shot emulating Doom Eternal's cover art. The continuous animation has the camera pan out over the entire victory platform as the Slayer runs around defeating demons eternally with his vast arsenal.
  • Doom Slayer has his back to the screen and is helmetless. He then puts his helmet on as he turns to look at the camera.
Classic Mode: Rip and Tear
Every opponent is based on a dark, demonic-like creature with every opponent being giant-sized versions of themselves.
RoundOpponentStageMusicNotes References
1Dark DJ OctavioRacoon City
2:ultpiranha:Find Mii
3:ultzombie:Dracula's Castle
4:ultdarksamus:Castle Siege (underground phase)
5:ultkrool:Space Frigate Orpheon
6:ultridley:Venom
BONUSBreaktheTargets!
FinalGiga Bowser

I feel like separating Chief from Doomslayer is of the highest priority considering how similar in appearance they are but also the potential for overlapping movesets. While it goes without saying that Chief would have a gun-swapping mechanic, I want to see it be used differently from Slayer. How can we make it so? How can we set the two apart to make Chief feel fresh but also true to his source content? Please submit your ideas below because, honestly, I am kind of at a loss.

In addition to this, you can also submit Chief's attributes such as weight, run, jump, etc and a general synopsis of how he plays outside of his gun gimmicks.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I'd say that as opposed to Doom's more aggressive gameplay, Halo's a bit more...I dunno, tactical? Doom has you carry so many weapons at once while Halo only lets you carry 2 at a time, giving you the choice of trading when you find a weapon from an enemy. I'd say limit him to just two far-range weapons? As for central mechanics...one of the most important parts of Master Chief's kit is his Energy Shield: it's meant to serve as somewhat of a shield for Chief while in combat, protecting him from projectiles but doing nothing much against melee weaponry. Maybe he has an HP-based armor gimmick like with K. Rool but it's more effective against projectiles?

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
One thing i noticed,if i had a nickel for everytime of Ratchet and Chief are both guest characters on a game,i had two nickels,it's very weird but it happened twice

I mean that both Ratchet & Clank and Master Chief appears in Super Bomberman R

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I'd say that as opposed to Doom's more aggressive gameplay, Halo's a bit more...I dunno, tactical? Doom has you carry so many weapons at once while Halo only lets you carry 2 at a time, giving you the choice of trading when you find a weapon from an enemy. I'd say limit him to just two far-range weapons? As for central mechanics...one of the most important parts of Master Chief's kit is his Energy Shield: it's meant to serve as somewhat of a shield for Chief while in combat, protecting him from projectiles but doing nothing much against melee weaponry. Maybe he has an HP-based armor gimmick like with K. Rool but it's more effective against projectiles?
We could have him able to swap out for two weapons, a light and a heavy weapon with 3 available for each one. These effect a special attack and then maybe one of the Smash Attacks?

Top Bottom