• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alzi

Smash Master
Anyone realize that in the rosalina trailer villager's up b is blue in colour but when you go on the website and look at one of the villager's picture of him doing the recovery it is red in colour.

Could this be the customization Sakurai was talking about? Or could it just be they decided to change the colour from red to blue.

Zaxis

Smash Cadet
Villager blue balloon could be he's player two that how it was in balloon fight.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Anyone realize that in the rosalina trailer villager's up b is blue in colour but when you go on the website and look at one of the villager's picture of him doing the recovery it is red in colour.

Could this be the customization Sakurai was talking about? Or could it just be they decided to change the colour from red to blue.
It's probably based on what controller the player is using. The first player is red, second blue, third yellow, and fourth green. If it's a computer, it's probably based on which slot they would have if they were an actual player.

Typhl0si0n

Smash Apprentice
Was talking to White. In fact, I was talking to him this whole time.

Take your attitude with someone else, son.
I don't give a **** if you were talking to Toby Keith. You're on a public forum. If you want to have a private chit chat with whitebowser here, than expect intervention.

And "son"? What are you- nine? Don't try and act tough to me. I gave you a legitimate answer. You don't like it, fine. Say you don't. But don't try and demoralize me in the process.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I don't give a **** if you were talking to Toby Keith. You're on a public forum. If you want to have a private chit chat with whitebowser here, than expect intervention.

And "son"? What are you- nine? Don't try and act tough to me. I gave you a legitimate answer. You don't like it, fine. Say you don't. But don't try and demoralize me in the process.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

I love the irony of this entire post right here considering who exploded over simply being corrected and guided. <3

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
I'm going through my old posts from when I first joined about a year-and-a-half ago to the E3 reveal. So far, I have learned that my 16-year-old self:

• Had Krystal was in my Top 3 most-wanted newcomers (not because furries) (she moved to the bottom of my Top 10 a month later, and less than a week later she was gone completely, so it isn't all bad, I guess)
  • Thought Mega Man would be included but "I'm not holding my breath"
  • Thought Toad would be 'cool', but he wasn't my top most-wanted Mario character (which has very obviously changed)
  • Didn't know who "Krom" was, but had him in my Top 3 because he was the current face of Fire Emblem
  • Gave Dixie Kong a low score in Rate Their Chances (the original thread)
  • Claimed to know a lot of Legend of Zelda (hint: I really didn't), but didn't know who Skull Kid was, and so I rated him as having a 0% chance, with Majora itself being more likely
  • Put Ghirahim as having a decent chance because of being the most recent villain with popularity, and thought he was "awesome in his own way"
  • Claimed Muddy Mole had a better chance of inclusion than Takamaru
  • Had Shulk as my #1 most-wanted, and said that would likely never change - it hasn't, haha
  • Consistently, to this day even, used the same argument for Vaati's inclusion
  • Called the axe-wielding Villager meme a year before it came to fruitition under the guise of Cooking Mama "Behind that smiling face lies EVIL. And a knife, behind her back"
  • Had this thing about recency, haha. Seriously, almost every argument for a character, it seems, came down to being recent
  • Once put the Battalion Wars Grunt ahead of Sami as the Wars rep I wanted, doing the exact same thing moveset-wise that I want her to be in to do now
  • Suggested SCP-087-1 as an impossible character I wanted. Probably as a joke, but then again, I wasn't exactly a joking person back then, haha
My overall conclusion? I'm really glad I'm a different person now, haha. But seriously, that's a lot of cringe-worthy stuff - and I was completely serious about it, without even a hint of laughter.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My top characters are the same from years ago

Impossible characters are the best characters

Thought Mega Man was in my top wanted and I don't need to want him anymore because he's in

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
My top characters are the same from years ago

Impossible characters are the best characters

Thought Mega Man was in my top wanted and I don't need to want him anymore because he's in
Remember when you made a joke about Mega Man being 2nd-party and I didn't understand that it was a joke? I didn't, haha.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I find my own jokes hilarious when no one understands they are jokes

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here is an interesting topic!

What makes a mature game?

Is it blood and gore?

Or it it much more?

What do you think makes a "mature" game?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Is it blood and gore?

Or it it much more?

According to the ESRB

MATURE
Content is generally suitable for ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
According to the ESRB
Nah, the ACB

The content is moderate in impact.
Films and computer games classified M (Mature) contain content of a moderate impact and are recommended for teenagers aged 15 years and over.
Children under 15 may legally access this material because it is an advisory category. However, M classified films and computer games may include classifiable elements such as violence and nudity of moderate impact that are not recommended for children under 15 years.
Parents and guardians may need to find out more about the film or computer game’s specific content, before deciding whether the material is suitable for their child.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Well look at you Wave going all philosophical on me... Your parents must be so proud.
Philo. . . what? That's not philosophy, nowhere near, that's simply what we can reasonably infer from words on the internet.
Wherever that is, the kids obviously mature faster
All these cultures and their darn. . . their. . . darn, uh, I'm being ethno-centrist again.

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace

I was being sarcastic...
Don't take my little message that was clearly just messing around out on Typhlosion.
Still thanks for the advice.
Philo. . . what? That's not philosophy, nowhere near, that's simply what we can reasonably infer from words on the internet.All these cultures and their darn. . . their. . . darn, uh, I'm being ethno-centrist again.
Exactly. If Wave looked up or knew the definition of philosophical he would have known right away I was being sarcastic.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Would you be ok with them possibly changing him into the Wind Waker Ganondorf to give him a new moveset (of course having a normal styled alt)?
YES! Wind Waker Ganondorf is one of my favorite boss fights in the series.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I was being sarcastic...
Don't take my little message that was clearly just messing around out on Typhlosion.
Hurg, muh bad, but I can't support Wave's words any more than I can yours now, I thought you were being totally mean. Wave is that way too, super sarcasm to which I often think is serious.
I'm gonna ask you all people guyses, please, lay off the sarcasm, you will find much more peace in your interactions with others, and you won't make me sad~
Tact must also be employed, especially when such language is deployed against the likes of Typhlosion, whom I have seen to be quite hotheaded.

Also, I remember when everyone hated your pictures that you made, and they were bad as they played to an easier and more reproachable form of internet referential humor. I have found you have improved, and when you post images I can only like them. I still think this doesn't validate your earlier defense of those images in horrid taste. :surprised:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I was being sarcastic...

Exactly. If Wave looked up or knew the definition of philosophical he would have known right away I was being sarcastic.
I know you were being sarcastic. That's why I responded sarcastically back.

Hence why I reprimanded Typhlosion since the joke I made wasn't for him to get to begin with and yet he still took it seriously. lol

TheWhiteBowser

Smash Ace
I know you were being sarcastic. That's why I responded sarcastically back.

Hence why I reprimanded Typhlosion since the joke I made wasn't for him to get to begin with and yet he still took it seriously. lol
so since we are talking about sarcasm. And since I was being sarcastic towards you sarcastic response about sarcasm. But what if one of us was being sarcastic about saying something sarcastic therefore making out entire conversation we have had sarcastically invalid. Then again if one of us is not being sarcastic and actually not being sarastic wouldn't that make others look philosophical. Or does being sarastic not equal being philosophical in a sarcastic way. Or maybe your just saying your being sarcastic to cover up how you got schooled by my sarcasm. Irregardless we should all stop being sarcastic...

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
so since we are talking about sarcasm. And since I was being sarcastic towards you sarcastic response about sarcasm. But what if one of us was being sarcastic about saying something sarcastic therefore making out entire conversation we have had sarcastically invalid. Then again if one of us is not being sarcastic and actually not being sarastic wouldn't that make others look philosophical. Or does being sarastic not equal being philosophical in a sarcastic way. Or maybe your just saying your being sarcastic to cover up how you got schooled by my sarcasm. Irregardless we should all stop being sarcastic...
I dunno, let's see what Captain Falcon thinks.

Okay, I can't possibly argue with that so I think that about wraps up this discussion. ¦D

mimgrim

Smash Hero

Is it blood and gore?

Or it it much more?

Depends on the tone and nature of the story and elements of the game all being combined. And contradictory to the popular beliefe, art style has no bearing on a game being dark or not.

999 is the best example I can think of a really mature game I have played, recently at least, but it's hard to describe the game without spoiling stuff.

So people who have never played 999 or haven't finished it and stuff like that, read at your own risk. I'll try to avoid as much spoilery stuff as I can, but no promises.

The general premise of the game is 9 people being kidnapped and being forced to play a game know as the Nonary Game, it is a game centered around the number 9. And if the players don't follow the rules correctly they die, more specifically they get blown up by their bracelets as is proven in the beginning of the game when the 9th man breaks the rules and blows up, the game then shows you blood, no gore though, and proceeds to explain to you what scene looks likes, quite vividly. That's just the icing of the cake. Snake ends up getting forced to break the rules unwillingly by another player(s) which severely traumatizes his younger sister, which is really important to one of the endings of the game. But it also turns out the man behind the game is in fact one of the players, or so they deduce. And a whole lot of other sh*t that is just way to much to go over in one post.

So all in all blood and gore don't necessarily make a mature game and generally a true mature game will have a lot more to it, a whole lot more. 999 was the best example I could think of a game I consider to be a true mature game.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Is it blood and gore?

Or it it much more?

Ok, wall of text time.

You know the ESRB will say blood, gore, cursing, and sexual themes are what makes a game mature. And those things are not suitable for most kids, even if some can handle it just fine with no issues. And to an extent I agree, those are all "mature" themes. But much like TV shows, it's not what "mature" elements that are in your product that truly makes it mature. It is how you use them. It's easy having those characters rip each other's guts apart and show someone's crotch on screen for a good minute. But an actual mature story(since many games seem to be story focused now)will need to have you invested in said story and maybe even make you think.

Using these elements in moderation, so that they have an impact is extremely important if you ask me. If all this stuff is just throw in your face all the time, you become so used to it, that any value it had is quickly lost. And trying to go for shock value is cheap.

Story or visual elements that are "kiddy" like a random villain wanting to blow up the city with a laser beam or a knight saving a princess from a dragon, are "kiddy" simply because they are easy to understand to most people. Even kids, hence why it's often called childish. Not that I have a problem with simple stories. But perhaps a story about two brothers, who have to find their grandfather's secret heirloom can become complicated enough to have the older members of the audience invested into it.

Given that so many games now are so story heavy, they are almost like movies. And that's another debate for another day. But some of those games handle these elements well enough to really be considered mature. And then you have stuff that says it's "mature" and they are just the kinf of stuff that tries too damn hard to be edgy.

And we have the popcorn flicks, which is fine by me, those can be good fun on their own, sort of a middle ground.

Also, I kind of get annoyed when some games try to hard to be movies. I am perfectly fine with a story in a game. But if your game is just QTE's with cutscene after cutscene then you need to go play some freaking Mario, Megaman, Tekken or Tetris. Because you missed the point that a game is supposed to be interactive and fun.

D

Deleted member

Does this surprise anyone?
The sad part is Sony will likely start doing it eventually too (though probably to a lesser extent).

Chances are they did have a few more limitations and such planned initially but when they saw Microsoft sinking faster than the Titanic they scrapped all that stuff and went the "we give you freedom!" routine. But when M$ brings it back and gamers get accustomed to it (because brainwashing on a system they already own is easier than convincing them to buy a piece of blatant spyware) Sony will also be able to get away with it, it'll become the norm, and then the current landscape of gaming is going to get even more ****ed.

And that's why I'll stick to my Smash. :smirk:
Sony isn't perfect, but I do think that they have legitimately humbled themselves ever since the disaster that was PS3's launch. I doubt they put those restriction in place.

Still, this is a reminder that no matter how much we rant about the Smash community, it will always be much better than general game community. Today's game industry has alarming similarities with politics. Politics today consist of:

- The far left and right arguing for their side while ignoring the potential problems their party of choice has. They will defend everything their party of choice does and attack everything the other side does, no matter how nitpicking the argument is.
- Politics is suppose to serve the people and protect rights. Today's politics is about screwing people over on a regular basis.
- Bad news, bad new, bad news. It never stops.

Similar things applies to the game community. We have endless Microsoft vs. Sony wars, gaming is turning into something to screw people over and it is filled with bad news. This is in the process of destroying what was once the most innocent entertainment medium and turning it into what it wasn't meant to be. Gunpei Yokoi is probably rolling on his grave now. And people say Nintendo should drop out of the home console business. I remember when we could say to people to just play the game if people got too emotional over games. But when informed gamers have to worry about micro-transaction, on-disc DLC, DRM, etc, we can't say this anymore for the most part.

Even with our fair share of drama in Smash, at least we can look forward to a great game. The game will be great, Sakurai cares about us (even if he doesn't give us everything we want) and we aren't bombarded with bad news. I can say this feels like a game community; fun, hilarious and memorable. Sadly, the general game community doesn't feel like that anymore and that is a tragedy.

So when you're thinking about leaving the community because of bad fans, remember that things can get worse and that at the end of the day, Smash is actually an oasis from all the BS that goes on in the gaming world.

Speaking of which, I need to get a 3DS & Wii U ASAP.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
^ Agreed on Sony. I'm just waiting for a certain time as far as getting a Wii U though.

Realizing how true that comparison of the gaming industry is to politics now just makes me more sad than I can even care to express right now.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
^ Agreed on Sony. I'm just waiting for a certain time as far as getting a Wii U though.

Realizing how true that comparison of the gaming industry is to politics now just makes me more sad than I can even care to express right now.

Yep. Sometimes it feels like some people are too busy bashing the companies they don't like rather than praising the ones they do. I can admit that I like Nintendo and Sony's IPs more than Microsoft's. But I wouldn't go out of my way to talk trash about Gears of War and Halo. I just didn't get the chance to get into those series. And micro transactions seems like a bad idea from the get go. Did you hear about that one cell phone game, that has a go kart you can buy for 100$? I think it was one of those Angry Birds games. I never liked them that much either. But My real issue with them is the company that creates those games.

Anyway, I really don't remember the PlayStation/Nintendo 64 or the GameCube/PS2/X-Box days being this obnoxious with the console bias. I mean really.

Stphntoth

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gamefan1992
3DS FC
4339-2569-8710
Switch FC
8139-1515-0706
Here's my character announcement predictions from now to E3 in June
January: Meta Knight or King Dedede
Feburary: Diddy Kong
March: Random Veteran (Wario ZSS Ness Jigglypuff Mr. Game & Watch Falco or Captain Falcon)
April: Yoshi
May: ?
June: Newcomers: Dixie Kong Mii Little Mac Tetra and final 3rd Party character Veteran announcements: Mewtwo or Lucario and ROB.

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
gaming is turning into something to screw people over and it is filled with bad news.

It isn't just gaming. The brony community also has similar problems.

I wished people would have a more positive attitude. While criticism that points out flaws is fine and all, we also need to praise and point out what works so we can all improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom