• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I interpret it differently;

Sonic is likely to come back.(and is just an asking away)

Snake's status is unknown as the Ice Climbers. Well, current status. We know both can come back. This article makes me think Snake is not a shoe-in.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Wait, do people doubt Sonic's chances=???

LOL, talk about morons. This isn't Soul Calibur where half the roster is in one game and is gone the next. These games sell by the cast of characters. Sonic is pretty much as big of a money maker as there can be in a character. Cutting him in just dumb for that reason alone, and that's not covering his insane potential as a playable character.

And yes, I've been saying that since Brawl came out. If you ever doubted Sonic in Brawl or Smash Wii U and 3DS, you thought like an idiot. Congratulations!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've been watching that new Sleepy Hollow show on FOX (yes I know I already said that in my status update). Thinking about changing my avatar to the Headless Horseman.

Anyway, who would you choose if you could get another retro rep in Smash 4?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Anyway, who would you choose if you could get another retro rep in Smash 4?
Are we talking "retro" as in 20-25+ years old characters, or "retro" as in 20-25+ year old characters who are no longer (even a little bit) relevant=???

Because if we're talking the former, we got a ton of potential newcomers that could fit that category (like Mega Man does), such as K. Rool, Ridley, Little Mac, Samurai Goroh, Cranky Kong, Wart, Toad, Tails, Dr. Robotnik, Pac-Man, etc.

But if we're talking the former, the only names that comes to mind is Starman (from Pro Wrestling on the NES for the lulzs), the Mach Rider, Takamaru, Mike Jones, etc. etc. etc.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To me, retro is two systems back from the latest for each Company.(except for dead companies. Basically, Wii U is latest generation, Wii is earlier, rest is retro below it. Applies similarly)

Anyway, Little Mac, Lip, Takamaru, Giovanni, Brian(Quest 64) are my top favorites.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
To me, retro is Super Nintendo and NES

And I'm starting to feel like maybe the N64 is retro

Gamecube and wii still seem like Newfangled devices for all I care

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If we're looking at retro (or classic as Sakurai calls them) characters from what Sakurai's possible perspective is, which could very well limit them to NES-era characters, as he's never classified a non-NES-era character as classic (afaik, I could be wrong), then my choice would be Sukapon. Then Balloon Fighter (though that was before Villager - now I feel hypothetically including both would take away from each other). Then I suppose Takamaru.

If it was any character that is generally considered retro (which I have a hard time as picturing as newer than SNES - but now N64 probably counts....) my choice... would either still be Sukapon or would be Lip. I think she'd be quite an interesting character and her series could use some more recognition.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ I'm pretty sure Sakurai has categorized a few SNES era characters as "retro."

For whatever reason, the Punch-Out!! stage is the same design as the Punch-Out!! ring in Super Punch-Out!!, versus the classic arcade Punch-Out!!, the NES Punch-Out!!, or Punch-Out!! Wii's stage design and colors.

I mean, Fox is a now kinda retro, and he's got a retro look to him.
To me, retro is Super Nintendo and NES

And I'm starting to feel like maybe the N64 is retro
That's generally what people feel about "retro," and why 20-25 years is seen as retro. The N64 is almost 20 years old, so yeah, it's getting to be retro.

Also, consider this: by the time Smash 6 comes out (since one of these 2 forthcoming games is smash 5), not just will the N64, the Game Boy, the first Generation of Pokémon, and the Game Boy Color be retro, but possibly the GameCube and GBA as well.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What this forum really needs is more love for Sukapon

^^^ I'm pretty sure Sakurai has categorized a few SNES era characters as "retro."

I mean, Fox is a now kinda retro, and he's got a retro look to him.

That's generally what people feel about "retro," and why 20-25 years is seen as retro. The N64 is almost 20 years old, so yeah, it's getting to be retro.

Also, consider this: by the time Smash 6 comes out (since one of these 2 forthcoming games is smash 5), not just will the N64, the Game Boy, the first Generation of Pokémon, and the Game Boy Color be retro, but possibly the GameCube and GBA as well.
N64 20 years old

I feel ancient now...

Me and my NES and fat gameboy

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Retro talk... If you had to choose a Japan-only retro (excluding Takamaru), who would you add?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's possible, sure. Do you have any examples?
Yoshi kinda sorta and the Punch-Out!! stage clearly being from Super Punch-Out!!

Oh, and the Pilotwings stage having SNES graphics (at least on that map of it Sakurai showed us).
Retro talk... If you had to choose a Japan-only retro (excluding Takamaru), who would you add?
Lucas. :p

Really though, Sukapon is the best choice along with Takamaru. Maybe I woudl say Lip if I knew much about Lip.
Then Goku. Goku's cool.
Vegeta's the best. :p

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Piccolo is the best

Though my favorite character to play in the games was kid buu

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Android 18 the best.

I'm the best.

Toad the best.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If anyone wants to ask, this is how I felt like when Toon Link was confirmed in Brawl, and Mega Man was confirmed in Smash Wii U and 3DS...
[collapse="This is what I felt I looked like when they were confirmed"]
[/collapse]
[collapse="This is what I felt happened to the world when they were confirmed"]
[/collapse]
[collapse="This was my reaction"]
[/collapse]

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yoshi kinda sorta and the Punch-Out!! stage clearly being from Super Punch-Out!!

Oh, and the Pilotwings stage having SNES graphics (at least on that map of it Sakurai showed us).
I mean examples of where Sakurai refers to characters just on the SNES as "classic", like he has with characters on the NES.

Plus when did Sakurai call Yoshi retro? And stages being based on SNES games (though I'm pretty sure the Punch-Out stage is based mostly on the Wii version) doesn't really mean Sakurai's opinion of SNES characters is that of NES characters...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I mean examples of where Sakurai refers to characters just on the SNES as "classic", like he has with characters on the NES.

Plus when did Sakurai call Yoshi retro? And stages being based on SNES games (though I'm pretty sure the Punch-Out stage is based mostly on the Wii version) doesn't really mean Sakurai's opinion of SNES characters is that of NES characters...
Well it has more been stages. Like I said, look at the Punch-Out!! and Pilotwings stage. It seems pretty obvious Sakurai now feels as nostalgic about the SNES as he does about the NES.

Also, Sakurai treated Yoshi's Island (Brawl) totally like it was a retro stage. Just look at that design and tell me that doesn't look like it was purposely made to be a retro throwback (to SMW2), whereas Yoshi's Island (Melee) is more of a modern "improvement" (of an area from SMW1).
Piccolo is the best

Though my favorite character to play in the games was kid buu
Piccolo, Future Trunks, and Tien are worth debating over, because those two were excellent. Also, Krillin's humor is underrated.

Oh, and the best character to play is always Future Trunks. So legit.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well, seeing as how not just was my Skype reaction deleted, but my Smash Boards reaction deleted...

...WHO CALLED IT!?!?!?

I DID!!!

GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!!

GET

THE HELL
OUT!!!

GUESS WHO'S BACK!?!?!?
BACK AGAIN!?!?!?
Johnknight1's MAIN IS BACK!!!
TELL YOUR FRIENDS!!!!!!!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yep, the one character everyone was sure that would be dropped like a hot plate is here.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Surprised they confirmed Toon Link so early on. Still very happy, because he was one of the few characters on the thinnest ice as far as returning for Smash 4 goes.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
with this confirmation, i now believe that all brawl characters will return (guests are exception, however)

i'm still a bit sour at this confirmation.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, glad the dumb Conductor Link = all Toon Links nonsense is behind us. Also glad I was right about getting more than one character per month, though I didn't actually expect that to be proven so soon.

(Also expecting more than one for Oct still)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
with this confirmation, i now believe that all brawl characters will return (guests are exception, however)
And who's been calling then since forever=???

THIS GUY!!!

AND WHO NEVER BACKED DOWN FROM SAYING THAT TOON LINK WOULD 100% RETURN=???

THIS GUY!!!

HATERS...

I'm going to be mad if we don't get ROB
No one cares about ROB. He sucked in Brawl and he has minimal potential for improvement. Unless Sakurai can cure the blind, do a triple backflip, sand save Hyrule all at the same time, it won't happen (ROB becoming original), so I don't see why we're making a big deal about it.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Took me longer than I'd like to admit to notice that this was a new reveal.

Just felt so...obvious, and didn't look like anything new at 1st glance. Then I saw the character approaching banner.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am really ecstatic about Toon Link's return. He really did not deserve to be cut. Hopefully, Sakurai is differentiating him more this time.

This makes me more optimistic that we may get both a Pokemon veteran (Mewtwo included) and Sonic in October.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Toon Link looks kinda...creepy too me. He looks a lot more realistic, but he still has the same abnormal proportions. It's getting into uncanny valley territory for me.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
i had my reservations... ike, rob, toon link, etc now i expect everyone to return.
however, i still hold on the guests thing, i'm sure you think they will be coming back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom