• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
fatmanonice=skinny?
I'm about 80 pounds underweight for my height (6 feet, 6 inches). There's three reasons behind my name:

1. Screen names are a goofy concept to me and I wanted to have something that sounded like a trucker handle to mock it.

2. "It's like a fat man on ice", was an expression I used in my early high school years. I would troll my friends with this by saying this and then deliberately walking away, never explaining what it meant only to have them practically beg me to explain what I was trying to say.

3. A friend drew a full body sketch of me my freshmen year of high school. For whatever reason, he made it where I was standing on a frozen pond in the middle of a forest. For equally ambiguous reasons I then took the picture and drew a fat man tripping and violently falling through the ice with about a dozen or so kids getting dragged down with him in the background. I then gave myself a speech bubble that said "Life's like a fat man on ice, if it goes down, we're all screwed." (Whatever that means...) I found it hilarious and I probably carried it around in a personal folder in my backpack for several months afterwards.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Pretty much. Zelda 1, 2, ALttP, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Seasons/Ages, and Minish Cap.

One of the reasons I'm looking forward to ALB2Ws.

Will probably go with OoT or Wind Waker should I ever choose to do a playthrough.
I see. Those would probably be the best 3-D starting points. I'd say my absolute favorite Majora's Mask but nah its better for a 2nd or later 3-D game in my opinion.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I hope Majora's Mask 3D happens eventually for the 3DS. I think it could happen in 2015. It would be foolish not to make it, especially considering they already have a perfectly good engine with Ocarina of Time 3D.

On a side note, I also think if Smash 4 has DLC, it will all be released during 2015. I think any DLC that happens, Sakurai will want to be personally involved with it, and as such, I don't think Sakurai will want to stick around with Smash Bros. for no longer than a year after its release. Most games end up releasing all of their DLC within a year of the game's retail release anyway.

It will be interesting to see intense character hopes linger on after the release of Smash 4, though as I said before, I think if character DLC were to happen it would mostly be characters Sakurai was unable to complete due to time constraints and/or veterans from previous Smash Bros. games that did not make the cut for Smash 4.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I hope Majora's Mask 3D happens eventually for the 3DS. I think it could happen in 2015. It would be foolish not to make it, especially considering they already have a perfectly good engine with Ocarina of Time 3D.

On a side note, I also think if Smash 4 has DLC, it will all be released during 2015. I think any DLC that happens, Sakurai will want to be personally involved with it, and as such, I don't think Sakurai will want to stick around with Smash Bros. for no longer than a year after its release. Most games end up releasing all of their DLC within a year of the game's retail release anyway.

It will be interesting to see intense character hopes linger on after the release of Smash 4, though as I said before, I think if character DLC were to happen it would mostly be characters Sakurai was unable to complete due to time constraints and/or veterans from previous Smash Bros. games that did not make the cut for Smash 4.
I'd be glad if Majora's Mask 3D happens. Because man, I love Majora's Mask so much. It was one of the few Zelda games I felt absolutely invested into everyone in. The NPC's, the side quests, the story. It was so dark and yet so heartwarming when the light at the end of the tunnel was seen. You hold the key to many peoples problems. It shows that, while we have problems both big and small. Helping others makes the world, slowly but surely a better place.

Yes time travel removes some of this which adds to the games whole [You can't help everyone] mentality. I always before I confront Majora, try to go through and help as many of the people in the game as possible in a single timeloop. It's very tense and fun. But i'm rambling by this point.

I'd like to see some DLC for smash. Honestly I would. Seeing even more of the fun speculation after the game was released would be pretty cool.

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
OH HEY HUGE ZELDA RANT UNDER THE SPOILER.

Oh, neat. I thought I was the only one who didn't like Ganondorf's sudden intrusion in Twilight Princes. They spend the whole game building up Zant, how twisted and remorseless he is. How powerful he is. He subjugates the Twilight Realm, exiles Midna, turns the Tiwli into mindless monsters, and easily captures Hyrule Castle. Right when you think you have the key to his defeat, he just pops in and says, "lol nope" and metaphorically bitchslaps you down several pegs. Then when you finally reach the Twilight Realm, get through a very irritating dungeon, and face him for real... he's a complete joke. All the competence, all the power, all the cool, calm wickedness is shattered instantly and he's just a ballet dancing idiot. And then Midna just kills him (in the most hilariously disturbing way admittedly, but still a little anti-climactic). Then Ganondorf swoops in, and just sits on his duff in Hyrule Castle until you show up. "Oh, hey Link. Well, you know the drill, I'm the bad guy meet ya at the castle. Play some tennis, turn in to a giant pig monster, you stab me in the forehead. Ciao!" Ugh. Great game. Great characters. Good story. Terrible, terrible villains. :[

Uh, anyway. As far as Skyward Sword goes, I'm... ambivalent. Not a fan of the art-style. Beautiful locations, but the character designs are hit-or-miss for me. The swordplay is visceral, but frustrating when the sword won't co-operate which is often enough to take me out of the game. Story was good from what I experienced, but... I haven't beat it. I cannot stand the tear collecting segments. Let's take the most aggravating part of Twilight Princess and make it more tedious and aggravating! I got to the one in Skyloft and put the game down. I'd already taken a break from it when I came to the last one and the prospect of another one is... not making me want to pick the game back up. I'll probably finish it someday, but... Oh, but I'm probably weird in that actually kind of liked Fi. :laugh: Sure she treated you like you had all the perceptual talents of a piece of toast, but I found her robot mannerisms kind of charming. Still, I liked Midna and Tatl best. Guess I've got a preference for women who mistreat me. :p

I'm not really one to pick favorites. I like most of the Zelda games for different reasons and it's hard to single one out as "da best." if I had to pick, probably Majora's Mask. Really enjoy the setting and atmosphere of the game, and the three day cycle I think provides a very interesting means to explore said setting. Next I guess is WW or TP, but it's hard to say. I actually really enjoyed Minish Cap and the Oracle games.

NOBODY CARES ABOUT YOUR STUPID OPINIONS ADUROSS, SHUT UP.

I'm not holding my breath for character DLC. If we get DLC, I'm guessing it's gonna be stages, items, trophies, etc. But hey, what do I know? :awesome:

volbound1700

Smash Master
My rank of Zelda games based on my enjoyability:

1. Twilight Princess
2. Original LoZ
3. Adventures of Link
4. Majoras Mask
5. Windwaker
6. Ocarina
7. A Link to the Past
8. Skyward Sword
9. 4 Sword Adventures

Part of my issue was I played TP before OOT so I wasn't able to appreciate OOT as much. I did not play a 3D Zelda until college. I grew up on the two NES titles and you can see the favoritism towards them.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Have you ever seen the cartoon movie Anastasia? You know the scene where Rasputin sells his soul to Satan for immortality? Pretty much that.
I see. This remotely reminds me of how flawed BMI is. By BMI standards, I'm obese.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Supposedly a "healthy" weight for my height is somewhere between 220 and 240, while I'm at about 160. Considering I've been managing this for well over a decade, I also agree the science behind BMI standards is a bit iffy.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm just dumbfounded that we've reached the new low/high of forecasting something big on a day no different from any other, just because it's in a new month. Did that ever happen pre-Brawl? This could be a historic occasion.
Nope. That being said, we did get something today, most people just aren't looking in the right places or expecting the wrong thing right now. Not my fault.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Supposedly a "healthy" weight for my height is somewhere between 220 and 240, while I'm at about 160. Considering I've been managing this for well over a decade, I also agree the science behind BMI standards is a bit iffy.
You are more than a foot taller than me and weigh around the same thing

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm about 80 pounds underweight for my height (6 feet, 6 inches). There's three reasons behind my name:

1. Screen names are a goofy concept to me and I wanted to have something that sounded like a trucker handle to mock it.

2. "It's like a fat man on ice", was an expression I used in my early high school years. I would troll my friends with this by saying this and then deliberately walking away, never explaining what it meant only to have them practically beg me to explain what I was trying to say.

3. A friend drew a full body sketch of me my freshmen year of high school. For whatever reason, he made it where I was standing on a frozen pond in the middle of a forest. For equally ambiguous reasons I then took the picture and drew a fat man tripping and violently falling through the ice with about a dozen or so kids getting dragged down with him in the background. I then gave myself a speech bubble that said "Life's like a fat man on ice, if it goes down, we're all screwed." (Whatever that means...) I found it hilarious and I probably carried it around in a personal folder in my backpack for several months afterwards.

I will have you know that I laughed at this much harder than I should have. :laugh:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
lol you're my highschool weight.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I feel very sad...

I was going to put some work down into the possible explorations of a new style of ruleset when smash 4 comes out, maybe even finding something better then a starter/cp system if possible.

So, I started looking at ruleset discussion threads on various forums. I was disgusted at how horribly people acted and treated each other. The community I saw discussing actually scared me and makes me worried for sm4sh's future if people act like that. I dont know if I even wanna work on a post anymore, I'm that heartbroken...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
BMI is total bull**** anyway. Yeah, I guess it works on most females, and can gvie you an indication. But believe me, the skinnyfat dude with a 'healty BMI' is a lot less healty than a buff dude who's according to the BMI 'overweight'.

Also, anyone else noticed how I managed to talk about Zelda without bringing up Impa?

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
BMI is total bull**** anyway. Yeah, I guess it works on most females, and can gvie you an indication. But believe me, the skinnyfat dude with a 'healty BMI' is a lot less healty than a buff dude who's according to the BMI 'overweight'.

Also, anyone else noticed how I managed to talk about Zelda without bringing up Impa?

You just revoked this by mentioning her.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
OoT is my least favorite 3D Zelda game (not counting the DS ones, which I like less).
I thought the bossfights were very weak and predictable, and the overworld is boring.

My favorite 3D ones are Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Skyward Sword.

As for the 2D ones, I think the NES games both aged poorly, but the original is still playable and fun. A LttP is great, and the Gameboy Color ones are all brilliant and masterful (Link's Awakening DX, Oracle games). Minish Cap is really good, but not as great.

The DS ones are the worst in the franchise (excluding the CDi games and Link's Crossbow Training), but they're still fun.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I feel very sad...

I was going to put some work down into the possible explorations of a new style of ruleset when smash 4 comes out, maybe even finding something better then a starter/cp system if possible.

So, I started looking at ruleset discussion threads on various forums. I was disgusted at how horribly people acted and treated each other. The community I saw discussing actually scared me and makes me worried for sm4sh's future if people act like that. I dont know if I even wanna work on a post anymore, I'm that heartbroken...
When a game gives you so many options, that kind of things is going to happen. Then it doesn't help that there have been some notorious rulings such as the ledge grab limit which should have never happened had the developers balanced that one out.

This is pretty much where I am. I also find it hilarious that skinny is the new healthy.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Nope. That being said, we did get something today, most people just aren't looking in the right places or expecting the wrong thing right now. Not my fault.
What did we get today? I have been out of the loop. Are you suggesting a screenshot with all three of the confirmed newcomers was something new?

Also, I know people are going to be very angry and throw rocks at me for this, but in general I sense less hype for Smash 4 than I did for Brawl.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
When a game gives you so many options, that kind of things is going to happen. Then it doesn't help that there have been some notorious rulings such as the ledge grab limit which should have never happened had the developers balanced that one out.

This is pretty much where I am. I also find it hilarious that skinny is the new healthy.

It is true... Maybe I just need to be brave and write it up anyways... Who knows, being yelled at could be... fun?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also, I know people are going to be very angry and throw rocks at me for this, but in general I sense less hype for Smash 4 than I did for Brawl.
Because people have learned that being so incredibly optimistic leads to disappointment, and as such people are refraining from getting too excited. Though I don't understand why we shouldn't be at least intrigued by the new games considering we've been getting some pretty good news ever since the announcement.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
While I'm hyped as heck. I also get this impression.
Glad that I am not the only one observing this. I have been around for all three unveils, and so far the hype to Smash 4 has been more tepid compared to Brawl (and probably Melee as well). I think hype will pick up again when we start getting new information, but I am starting to wonder if we will ever reach the heights seen during pre-Brawl. I think part of the reason why there is less hype is because there is no longer a "Sonic/Merga Man" in the picture, and there is generally a smaller pool of highly requested characters compared to pre-Brawl.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Glad that I am not the only one observing this. I have been around for all three unveils, and so far the hype to Smash 4 has been more tepid compared to Brawl (and probably Melee as well). I think hype will pick up again when we start getting new information, but I am starting to wonder if we will ever reach the heights seen during pre-Brawl. I think part of the reason why there is less hype is because there is no longer a "Sonic/Merga Man" in the picture, and there is generally a smaller pool of highly requested characters compared to pre-Brawl.
I'm not sure if we'll see the same level of hype as pre-brawl did, but I do agree with the fact that it will pick up a significant amount when more stuff has been announced. I'm a little confused as to why people aren't more hyped then they are though, considering we have heard alot of good things about the game already from interviews and such.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm more excited by the fact that there are efforts to try to fix the problems Brawl had. If the direction is still going to be on track, we could probably have the best installment(s) in the series by far.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if we'll see the same level of hype as pre-brawl did, but I do agree with the fact that it will pick up a significant amount when more stuff has been announced. I'm a little confused as to why people aren't more hyped then they are though, considering we have heard alot of good things about the game already from interviews and such.
I think there are a variety of factors.

1. Only one highly requested newcomer was shown for the unveil (Mega Man, as opposed to three highly requested ones like for Melee and Brawl).
2. The "Sonic" being taken out of the picture so early on (the "Sonic" of Smash 4 was Mega Man).
3. Less highly requested newcomers this time, and generally only a few of these characters have really high enthusiasm (Ridley, K. Rool, and Mewtwo are the only ones with fanbases that look like the ones we saw during pre-Brawl, though Little Mac seems to be gaining a lot of interest lately).
4. Brawl was coming off of Melee, while Smash 4 is coming off of Brawl.
5. The Wii was a system a lot of people were hyped for, while the Wii U seems to be fading in the background.
6. Nothing really profound was shown with Smash 4's unveil that made people feel/think: "this is an escalation of what we saw with the previous game." When Brawl was unveiled we got not only three very highly requested character, but also the confirmation of third-party characters, the announcement of Final Smashes, Sakurai bringing in an all-star team for the game's soundtrack (this began with Nobuo Uematsu doing Brawl's theme for the unveil0.
7. Sakurai being much more quiet this time than he was during the unveils for Melee and Brawl.
8. People having more tempered expectations after Brawl.

There are probably some other factors that I am forgetting, but these are just some of them.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
We'll have to see how the game plays and go from there in developing a rule set. Melee was played with a 5 stock setting at one point and Brawl had some 2 stock tournaments for a while in certain regions where people thought 3 stocks was too many and lead to players being exhausted in later rounds and tourneys ending late at times.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think Brawl killed the hype for Smash 4 because the game wasn't as great as expected and not all the popular or exciting characters made it in. On top of that we had cuts

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I think Brawl killed the hype for Smash 4 because the game wasn't as great as expected and not all the popular or exciting characters made it in. On top of that we had cuts
Even with the cuts I generally feel most people were satisfied with Brawl's roster. Granted we all had some more people we still wanted to see but overall. I felt it was a good roster.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Again, the problem with Brawl is not actually Brawl, but rather the fans were being far too optimistic and got really blind sighted by reality because of it.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
I feel like there's less hype because Nintendo used a lot of their trump cards too early, like Megaman, no tripping, and a balancing team that's more than Sakurai. Now that everyone got most of what they wanted, there's not much else to keep the level of anticipation the other installments had other than characters, but nobody knows when they'll show more of them.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Despite the cuts(all two of them) I was very satisfied with Brawl's roster.

The game itself, not as much, but the roster was beautiful. Literally in some cases. :awesome:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom