• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ocarina of Time has been surpassed by plenty of other Zeldas in other areas (Majora's Mask did sidequests better, Wind Waker had a better sense of exploration, TP had better dungeons). Ocarina of Time overall was not lacking any particular area, and overall being the most well rounded (exceptionally high in almost every area that makes the Zelda series notable) game, one could easily say its still the best even after all these years.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The one thing that MM/WW/TP did better overall was better characterization than OOT. Either way, they're all honestly amazing games overall.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I'm not a huge fan of Zelda games, but I certainly loved OoT more than TP and WW. I also loved Phantom Hourglass almost equally to OoT but that's my perspective.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think it's because in the era OoT was released, it was better in comparison with the standard at the time than new zelda's are compared to the standard of today

Your looking at OoT with the standard of games today

OoT was a better game for the standards of it's time period than Skyward sword is with the standards of today

SirGalvan

Smash Journeyman
Personally I loved Skyward Sword but I can see why some people have issues with it

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Out of all of the 3D Zelda games...

I'd rank them as...
WW
MM
OoT/SS
TP
ST
PH

They are all great and each one has disadvantages and advantages. I truly believe in the Zelda cycle though. Give it a year or so. SS will grow on you.

In all seriousness though, Skyward Sword was amazing. Not the best, but amazing.

It had a great story.
Great characters.
AMAZING music.
Interesting dungeons (not the best, but it did have my favorite dungeon ever, the Ancient Cistern).
Fun sidequests.
ACTUAL PERSONALITY FOR ZELDA!
And several other things.

I think it did several things right. I also think it did several things wrong. Then again, which Zelda hasn't?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Personally I loved Skyward Sword but I can see why some people have issues with
Designing the game around that Wii Motion Plus peripheral made the game both easier and harder simultaneously. Easier because battles and puzzles are made more pathetic, and harder because the Wii Motion Plus hates to cooperate most of the time.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I have to really say something, it really infuriates me that OOT garners 10/10 just for it's remake because it's beyond ridiculous.

OOT hasn't aged that well, not to mention just it getting 10/10 might force other action game makers just follow it's footsteps in order to be anyway noted by the critics (if one can even call 'em ones...)

Nostalgia-driven masterpiece = the greatest game of all time today?

Sorry, I think that would still go to Super Mario Bros 3 which stays still timeless even today. Unlike OOT which has been surpassed by number of games in it's own series and maybe if other games I know from other systems.

But hey, just my opinion.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I have to really say something, it really infuriates me that OOT garnering 10/10 just for it's remake is beyond ridiculous.

OOT hasn't aged that well, not to mention just it getting 10/10 might force other action game makers just follow it's footsteps in order to be anyway noted by the critics (if one can even call 'em ones...)
Well, considering the other games on the 3DS at the time it came out, the standards for a 3DS game were pretty low when the remake came out

I'm sure it was the best game on the 3DS at the time

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well, considering the other games on the 3DS at the time it came out, the standards for a 3DS game were pretty low when the remake came out

I'm sure it was the best game on the 3DS at the time

Yeah, but lol, Ocarina Of Time pretty much was the first title in "Saving Grace Installment Line" for 3DS.

But as a standalone game... maaan. It's more of a well-done game which perfected the formula Link To The Past had done back THAT time (applauds), but after it, I've seen much better games enough to garner the reputation of "the greatest games of all time" and is blame on what Zelda-series has turned into today (2D is shafted beyond belief and 3D is getting bit stale since Spirit Tracks and Hellhole Sword)

My point also is that you gotta push the boundaries. BREAK THEM. As in trying to surpass OOT. We could use new ways to define "an amazing game" than "Ocarina Of Time". And seriously, looking back at that game, I wish it could be given many improvements (LIKE FROM WIND WAKER.)

Oh wait, it's been done. But none wants to notice.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The Legend of Zelda isn't looking too bright either since it's now going to do the New Super Mario Bros. thing and try to cash in on nostalgia pandering, which is pretty bad actually. It seems like Yoshi's New Island is also doing the same thing too.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I've played OoT, MM and TP.

I'd rank them as MM > OoT > TP

It's odd for me as a Toon Link fan to not have played WW yet. My fondness for Toon Link grew out of Minish Cap, infact.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Instead of chasing the dream of surpassing a masterpiece of the past, maybe what they should do is make the product itself great

I have a feeling that since OoT, Nintendo has just been trying to make "The better OoT" when what they should be doing is making a good zelda game

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I have a feeling that since OoT, Nintendo has just been trying to make OoT, but better
I felt the only Zelda game that really felt like that they were trying to "outdo" Ocarina was TP. Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Skyward Sword all distinctly had their own identities (which makes MM even more impressive considering it basically re-used Ocarina's assets) and what their focuses were.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I don't know anyone in real life that liked Skyward Sword.
I didn't think it was bad, but I certainly didn't like it. I gave up in the desert world when I had to use time travel to turn on some electricity bull**** while dodging evolving hermit crabs. **** that.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I must be the only one who loved Skyward Sword.

Me and most of my friends have no taste apparently...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

Well, at least your able to admit it.

Most people with no taste act all elitist about it

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103

Skyward Sword was a really great Zelda game. I'm surprised of the people who disliked it, despite the Wii Motion Plus controls.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

SS > TP for me. Definitely, and even liked TP.

If Majora's Mask had 2 or 3 more dungeons, it would have been the best Zelda game, hands down.
That's a funny way of spelling Wind Waker.

I didn't think it was bad, but I certainly didn't like it. I gave up in the desert world when I had to use time travel to turn on some electricity bull**** while dodging evolving hermit crabs. **** that.
You must be a real sunshine :p

I get why you'd dislike Lanayru Desert. It took a while to grow on me to. But eventually it got great. The dungeon it had was pretty damn cool I felt.

Best thing about Skyward Sword was DEFINITELY the dungeons though! Only one I sort of disliked was the Sandship.

Okay, I get why people don't think Skyward Sword was the best Zelda ever. But damn, it was a good way in the right direction I felt. It did just as many things awesome as it did mediocre. Play it with a more open mind is my advice.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Skyward Sword was a really great Zelda game. I'm surprised of the people who disliked it, despite the Wii Motion Plus controls.
Controlling the loftwings was enough to make me want to quit. Like I said, I didn't hate it as much as some do, but I wouldn't really call that a "great" game.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'll never understand how people has problems with those motion controls.

It started off as tricky but it was pretty simple once you get the hand of it.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I was okay with Skyward Sword, but never got too far into it, due to my Wii being on the fritz. Apparently I suck at Zelda games anyway, despite me finding them fun. I was never able to finish any of the three I played. [/ShamefurDispray]

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
It was annoying but not to the point where I'd quit the game. You'd get used to it eventually.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
And that's an even funnier way to spell A Link to the Past.
ALTTP probably had the most dungeons of any Zelda game (11 total). The number of dungeons was not a problem for ALTTP.

Really, the only two Zelda games that could have used more dungeons was WW and MM.

On a sidenote, I personally hope they get around to re-releasing Majora's Mask for the 3DS (I also hope they get around to releasing Wario's Woods for the 3DS's Virtual Console, but due to how poorly Nintendo has been supporting it...).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
WWHD was a waste of time to make. Anyone who still has a copy of WW and buying WWHD is throwing their money away. At least with Ocarina of Time 3D you got Master Quest, Boss Rush, portability, and improved graphics and frame rate.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My favorite zelda games are actually the gameboy games

So much nostalgia over Link's Awakening. I didn't play ALttP until WAY after OoT or Link's Awakening

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Skyward Sword is IMO a disgrace as an anniversary title, because it keeps on defeating itself as one.

The gameplay, being based on motion control, keeps on being out of whack. It's not helping me get a feel of actually being in control of Link when all the motions have to be inputted to a game that runs 30 FPS per second (really?), which just hinders the timing. And then sometimes the motion control has to be adjusted because it keeps on slipping in some dumb motion. Why no more analog controls?! Why can't they be optional?!
I feel like the motion control-thing was to just make MotionPlus be "crowned" for it's well-done use in SS, well in most of the time, it makes the game much less enjoyable, and so much harder to play.

I mean, what difference does Mario and Link have when swimming?

Well let me tell you: Mario CONTROLS MUCH BETTER. Link DOESN'T. (Hope you played Galaxy and Skyward Sword to get this)

The story also is absolutely uninteresting, and doesn't even serve it's purpose that well as "the most first chronological title in the series". Nothing is explained what happened there in how it had played part in the future because everything, despite being made up, seem to not have any sort of way of explaining how they exist in other games. And Master Sword's creation is yet another, not if, one of the most biggest fetch quests in the whole series.

Also wait, so Gorons still existed back then and the great Hylian Shield had nothing to do with Loftwings, but was won from a boss rush? Really?

Overworld is so barren, and you have to revisit each place three times (really). No new areas, except inside those places. Got quite boring to me quickly, except in Lanayru Desert (which is my most fave and memorable area in the game)

Fi also is one of the most infuriating helpers I've ever met. Plays a big part on the game thinking I must be very stupid player.
Her singing doesn't really help either, how mechanical... (and that's also the instrument for this game, it's very impractical to use.)

And last, but not the least: THE GAME THINKS I AM THE MOST DUMBEST HUMAN BEING IN THE WORLD. SO MUCH EXPOSITION THAT IT MAKES ME WANT TO CHOP SOMEONE TO PIECES, ARGH

I don't know what they were thinking when doing this game. Sonic Generations is at least much playable and enjoyable game than this (and no, not because of it's banking on nostalgia, but actually tries to keep the formula improved)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I thought Sonic Generations was awesome because Sonic eats a chili dog

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

I really liked the little things they did with it. I liked the addition of the stamina meter, I liked the introduction of a boss rush mode (which was loooooong overdue for the Zelda franchise), and I liked how combat was kind of like solving puzzles in itself. I liked the world of Skyloft and how it actually made you feel like Link was part of a community that genuinely cared about him. I liked Zelda (god, she's adorable), Ghirahim, Impa, and, of course, Groose and Skyward Sword had a very engaging cast of characters overall. I liked the art direction and I liked the level of emotion the characters showed in the cutscenes. I liked the new upgrade system they implemented and how this was one of the first Zelda games where I liked most of the sidequests. I liked the fact for the first time since the original Zelda the game actually came with a freakin' Hard mode.

Were there faults? Sure. Fi was just as bad as Navi and having to have items explained to you every time you reset the game was just as annoying too. The items weren't all that interesting but, then again, neither were OoT's (TP had the best as far as I'm concerned). The fight with Demise was kind of anticlimatic but at least it wasn't as bad as Ganondorf in TP (thrown in at the last minute) or WW (awesome setting, terribly easy fight). Fighting the Imprisoned was a bit overdone too but I actually liked the tension it created as you tried to kill it in time and how the fight took place in an absolutely massive arena. I rarely had problems with the Wii Motion Plus but apparently a number of people did so I can't comment on that. All in all, I think it was a great game that outdid Ocarina of Time in terms of depth and substance and I don't think it deserves nearly the amount of flak that people give it.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I still don't see how Ganondorf was thrown in at the last minute.

You knew he was the main villain from halfway in the game

If anything it's like ALttP where Aghnim was perceived as the main villain for half the game before it was revealed the evil Ganon was behind everything

Edit: Also, I prefer the vagueness the Zelda series had NOT knowing where the game was in the timeline unlike SS where they made it specifically to fit in the timeline at a point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom