• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
To those who didn't play Brawl and Melee competitively;
Why was Brawl disappointing to you?

It actually wasn't. I liked it just as much as Melee and still do, but at the time, I wasn't influenced by all of the whining Smashboards was doing early into the game's life.

If I knew Smashboards existed back then, I'd probably hate the game.

Edit: The more I think about it, I actually liked it more because of online, since I could fight human players for the first time. Connection be damned.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Again, the problem with Brawl is not actually Brawl, but rather the fans were being far too optimistic and got really blind sighted by reality because of it.
It was mostly our fault.

I was one of those people who got super-hyped and had high expectations for a 50-55 roster. Although, there were still people posting "realistic" roster sizes.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Brawl didn't disappoint me, although I did try competitively a little at the back end of Melee before Brawl was released and a little of brawl via the Smash Domain and small tourneys [But as I said earlier I want to really get into Smash 4's]. I think people just didn't like its floatiness and tripping in comparison to Melee when it comes to the more casual smashers among us. But, I don't think I have the answers, most people will probably give you various different reasons. I heard some people actually liked the tripping because it had some funny moments.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Basically, Mewtwo's exclusion, the online, tripping, and Hanenbow were the only things I disliked.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Some characters not finished, 5 Generic Target Tests, the SSE being too much like a bad fanfic(as in too many original characters), Classic being very boring and stale(due to lack of randomness, or it's not good enough), All-Star not being random, lack of Red Shell, and having the balance of a rubber band.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I didn't have a lot of friends who wanted to play Brawl...so it was disappointing for me as a casual game because no one wanted to play it

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Some characters not finished, 5 Generic Target Tests, the SSE being too much like a bad fanfic(as in too many original characters), Classic being very boring and stale(due to lack of randomness, or it's not good enough), All-Star not being random, lack of Red Shell, and having the balance of a rubber band.
I hope they bring back Race to the Finish and Board the Platforms in SSB4. And have Metal Mario as a boss in Classic Mode.

They aren't working on an SSE-scale adventure mode, so they might have more time to work on other things.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I know I'm very late but, happy birthday Falkoopa. Didn't have the time to get online today sorry.

Anyway, what are we talking about now? Brawl? I actually wasn't that disapointed by it. Then again, I got Melee very late during the Gamecube's lifespan so I never really had the chance to get fully accustomed to the game. Tripping also never really bothered me until last year. And overall in terms of the roster I was very satisfied, sure I lost Mewtwo but in return I got my most wanted Brawl character, Toon Link.

Now I'm not very sure who to root for in terms of newcomers since both Professor Layton and Anna feel so very unlikely, even moreso than Toon Link did during the Brawl days. So I guess all I'm hoping for is the return of Mewtwo and/or Toon Link. If not I guess I might as well main the Villager out of the newcomers we have currently got so far since I'm growing quite fond of him. Especially after playing Animal Crossing New Leaf.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I didn't have a lot of friends who wanted to play Brawl...so it was disappointing for me as a casual game because no one wanted to play it
I had some friends who liked playing it with me. But I had a blast with a cousin, an Uncle of mine and my Dad doing fun FFA's we made all sorts of odd stages in the stage builder. Sorry to hear you didn't have the same luck :/

It wasn't until later I got into one on ones more again haha. I had so much fun with family.

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
Primarily the poor online and the floaty, get punished for attacking style of play was what turned me off of Brawl. Plus, SSE was just really tedious near the end. If I'd had more friends to play with [forever alone] then I might have been able to enjoy it more, but since I couldn't deal with the online I just kind of gave up on the game. I'm tentatively looking forward to Smash4 hoping for better online. But I'm keeping my enthusiasm in check and not getting overly invested.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This is awesome

The lowest amount of points possible in super mario bros

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Even with the cuts I generally feel most people were satisfied with Brawl's roster. Granted we all had some more people we still wanted to see but overall. I felt it was a good roster.
Brawl's roster was pretty close to perfect (the only newcomer I was disappointed with not being in was Ridley, and of course the exclusion of Mewtwo and Roy). Really, the roster was one of the things that Brawl got right. The bigger problems with Brawl was how clunky it felt compared to Melee, and how disappointing the SSE was.

Many people were expecting a game that would blow Melee out of the water like Melee did with Smash 64. Instead, we got a game that was on par with Melee (which is to say a very great game), but not a game that outright replaced it as was the case with Melee and Smash 64.

With Smash 4, I have low expectations in terms of the roster. As long as Sakurai brings in Ridley and tries his best to avoid cuts, I will be happy with it. As others have said this has the potential to be the best Smash Bros. title, hopefully, Sakurai will be able to get in every character he has planned, and if he is unable to, hopefully he goes through with the idea of DLC.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I hope Sakurai doesn't reveal anything tomorrow, Thursday, or Friday.

If he does not hold any new information till next Monday.

I will be verrryyy angry.

#Selfish.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Brawl's roster was pretty close to perfect (the only newcomer I was disappointed with not being in was Ridley, and of course the exclusion of Mewtwo and Roy). Really, the roster was one of the things that Brawl got right. The bigger problems with Brawl was how clunky it felt compared to Melee, and how disappointing the SSE was.

Many people were expecting a game that would blow Melee out of the water like Melee did with Smash 64. Instead, we got a game that was on par with Melee (which is to say a very great game), but not a game that outright replaced it as was the case with Melee and Smash 64.

With Smash 4, I have low expectations in terms of the roster. As long as Sakurai brings in Ridley and tries his best to avoid cuts, I will be happy with it. As others have said this has the potential to be the best Smash Bros. title, hopefully, Sakurai will be able to get in every character he has planned, and if he is unable to, hopefully he goes through with the idea of DLC.
The SSE wasn't bad in my opinion; the various journeyings of the character groups was interesting, but there wasn't much Nintendo-related stuff. (other than a random boss every once in a while)

As for the SSB4 roster, I guess I'll just let Sakurai do what he wants. I don't know exactly what to expect from the new roster, but I have low expectations to be on the safe side.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Sure those were fun.

I oddly want Board The Platforms back from 64 lol.
Never played Smash 64, so I'm not familar with that mini-game.

The SSE wasn't bad in my opinion; the various journeyings of the character groups was interesting, but there wasn't much Nintendo-related stuff. (other than a random boss every once in a while)
At least some of the levels tried to follow with the theme of the character intrduced in it. Like DK in the Jungle, and Samus in the Facility.

Nintendo content in the SSE was overall disappointing though. Most of it was already outside of SSE, like the the Starfox ships, Halberd, and all the other vehicles except for the Koopa Clown Car.
I think the levels could have used more of the theme of the character's games.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Hyper summed up my feelings for Brawl in the casual sense. That said, I do not regret ever purchasing Brawl. Smash Bros. is a classic series in its own right and deserves to be followed through its many iterations.

Smooth Criminal

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I still completed one run of SSE or went back to play it for ****s and giggles. It felt more like a distraction than a story. I'm a sucker for crossovers. Especially one with all Nintendo characters. :I

D

Deleted member

I hope Majora's Mask 3D happens eventually for the 3DS. I think it could happen in 2015. It would be foolish not to make it, especially considering they already have a perfectly good engine with Ocarina of Time 3D.

On a side note, I also think if Smash 4 has DLC, it will all be released during 2015. I think any DLC that happens, Sakurai will want to be personally involved with it, and as such, I don't think Sakurai will want to stick around with Smash Bros. for no longer than a year after its release. Most games end up releasing all of their DLC within a year of the game's retail release anyway.

It will be interesting to see intense character hopes linger on after the release of Smash 4, though as I said before, I think if character DLC were to happen it would mostly be characters Sakurai was unable to complete due to time constraints and/or veterans from previous Smash Bros. games that did not make the cut for Smash 4.
This and even then, I'm not sure how many will be added. The only likely DLC character I could see outside of cut Brawl veterans like Lucario and Ike (though I see it as more likely they'll be in the initial roster) is Roy strangely enough. I don't think we are going to see much out of it even if character DLC do happen (which is 50/50 IMO and depends on if Sakurai doesn't get all of his planned characters in).
Nope. That being said, we did get something today, most people just aren't looking in the right places or expecting the wrong thing right now. Not my fault.
This and I have to admit, the new picture we got is pretty cool.
What did we get today? I have been out of the loop. Are you suggesting a screenshot with all three of the confirmed newcomers was something new?

Also, I know people are going to be very angry and throw rocks at me for this, but in general I sense less hype for Smash 4 than I did for Brawl.
I've been noticing this as well. I heard on GameFAQs that the pre-Brawl board, you could refresh your computer screen and the topic would be gone. That's clearly not happening with this game. Has to do with a lot of factors really, such as the declining Nintendo fan base and weak Wii U sales.

I doubt we will ever reach the level of pre-Brawl, but I do think we'll see more hype for this game than we did with Melee. For one, any opportunity for a Geno of Smash 4 seems to be closed. More pessimistic roster expectations is probably contributing to this as well.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
While I still prefer it to Melee, my issues with Brawl come down to 3 things:

1. The Online Sucks: While I still occasionally use it to pass the time, the lack of options, mediocre netcode, and the abundance of taunt parties (not that I haven't joined in on one before) just plain ruins it. Still better than Pokemon's online IMO though (NO I DON'T HAVE A LVL 1 RESHIRAM/ZEKROM!).

2. SSE felt like a missed opportunity: I'm still in the boat that it's an improvement over Adventure mode, but why they decided to forsake Nintendo's rich history for bland environments and levels is beyond me. Also felt that it was a tad longer than it needed to be and could have been structured differently so that not everything was unlocked by completing it.

3. Lack of charm: Kinda tough to put my finger on it despite this being my biggest issue, but maybe it's the overall seriousness of the game or that Mario has a poker-face, either way it lacks the magic that Melee, and especially 64 had.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
While I still prefer it to Melee, my issues with Brawl come down to 3 things:

1. The Online Sucks: While I still occasionally use it to pass the time, the lack of options, mediocre netcode, and the abundance of taunt parties (not that I haven't joined in on one before) just plain ruins it. Still better than Pokemon's online IMO though (NO I DON'T HAVE A LVL 1 RESHIRAM/ZEKROM!).

2. SSE felt like a missed opportunity: I'm still in the boat that it's an improvement over Adventure mode, but why they decided to forsake Nintendo's rich history for bland environments and levels is beyond me. Also felt that it was a tad longer than it needed to be and could have been structured differently so that not everything was unlocked by completing it.

3. Lack of charm: Kinda tough to put my finger on it despite this being my biggest issue, but maybe it's the overall seriousness of the game or that Mario has a poker-face, either way it lacks the magic that Melee, and especially 64 had.
The online could certainly be improved. I wish there was a way to resolve the insane amount of taunters.

And as for SSE, I agree. The lack of Nintedo content was a huge disappointment. They tried to make the characters be introduced in fitting levels, but DK and Diddy being introduced in a jungle was not enough, nor was Samus being put in a futuristic factory, etc. For Smash 4, they should include a bigger variety of enemies from a bigger variety of Nintendo games, as well as more Adventure mode exclusive features. Such as being able to travel through pipes, having to attack Metroid esque doors to travel to other areas, and perhaps underwater levels. The backround and the theme of the levels overall should be imrpoved as well, like you said.

And not all characters should be able to be unlocked just by playing through the mode, or at least not as quickly or easily as in the SSE.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
It wasn't very disappointing to me really. Aside from the obvious tripping, my issues we're its:
Ability to cancel out hitstun
Broken shields (Seriously I try to jab cancel with Falco and I still got grabbed!)
Garbage online
Most of the games time was dedicated to a wasted opportunity of an Adventure Mode
Break the Targets being a step down from Melee's character specific ones
Classic Mode & All Star Mode we're even more tedious than Melee (mainly due to the roster being bigger)

I still love Brawl mind you but if they didn't spend so much time on Subspace it would've been a better experience.

On a side note, just finished watching Attack on Titan. . . ITS SO ****ING RAD GNFTITANERENGDSGSIADFIJGNBS!

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Well yeah, the environments were still bland, but it's the least amount of naturalization they can fit their characters in. Melee did a slightly better job with the Mushroom Kingdom and Hyrule levels and enemies. SSE only had a few Mario mooks.

Also, am I the only one who felt that the platforming seemed awkward for a Smash game? It felt like it used too many Kirby elements (no surprise with Sakurai on board) and some of the spaces seemed clunky or agorophobic.

FalchionX7 said:
On a side note, just finished watching Attack on Titan. . . ITS SO ****ING RAD GNFTITANERENGDSGSIADFIJGNBS!
I-It ended? That quick? :eek:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Well yeah, the environments were still bland, but it's the least amount of naturalization they can fit their characters in. Melee did a slightly better job with the Mushroom Kingdom and Hyrule levels and enemies. SSE only had a few Mario mooks.

Also, am I the only one who felt that the platforming seemed awkward for a Smash game? It felt like it used too many Kirby elements (no surprise with Sakurai on board) and some of the spaces seemed clunky or agorophobic.

I-It ended? That quick? :eek:
The elevators, minecarts, and the dash things that send you flying after quickly moving forward were all taken from Kirby Super Star, so I can get what you mean by that. The design was a little unusual, like the random huge platforms with the crates in the first room of the Subspace Bomb Factory II. The crushers and the moving grates seemed out of place, the backround and area overall made it seem strange. That's just an example of the odd placement of hazards and design.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I thought the SSE was a good CONCEPT, but it was executed pretty horrendously.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Here's my overall thoughts: Good plot concept, not enough interaction or emotion.

Level Design: Good, but many hazards and platforms seem out of place, to much like in a Mario game. The backround's blandness doesn't help.

Nintendo Elements: Too much Kirby stuff, hardly anything else not related to enemies or bosses.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
The bosses also seemed to play like they would in a Kirby game. Some of the areas were quite wide or had high elevations, so some of the less aerial characters had hindered movement. In Kirby, I could infinitely float around the stage. Might not be a problem late game I suppose with all or more characters unlocked. :I

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
Brawl is actually my favorite entry in the series so far. Tripping sucks, but it's minimal, and all the characters are fairly balanced and fun to play with, except Metaknight. I like it more than Melee mainly because of the variety of fighters. I enjoy playing as almost any character, and Brawl obviously has a larger and more diverse roster. Also, I just like it more because of the smaller things too, like the music selection and whatnot.

In short, I just simply had more fun with Brawl. Not knocking anyone who likes the other ones better, because it's understandable to favor any of the three. I just personally prefer Brawl.

I do like the event matches and overall single-player experience in Melee a lot more though, but singleplayer in SSB is little to nothing in comparison to the Versus Mode, so it doesn't affect my opinion that much.

It just irks me when people try to argue that Brawl was disappointing. I understand if you don't like it as much, but Brawl was everything but "disappointing"...

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
And not all characters should be able to be unlocked just by playing through the mode, or at least not as quickly or easily as in the SSE.
Why not? That's one thing I LOVED about Brawl and SSE.

I didn't have to waste a whole lot of time doing tedious **** to unlock the characters. I could just do it quick and actually enjoy playing with them as much a I wanted, as fast as I wanted. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom