• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm glad you brought this up over here since I missed that discussion last night.

Anyway, I remember making a post (somewhere...) talking about my thoughts on that. I think meters should be added (suggested a circular meter) for all characters that build up their Final Smash and Assist Trophies, with all characters having 2-3 different Final Smashes (preset combos (Like Ike's Great Aether), Super Moves (Like Samus' SuperBeam), and Transformations (Like Warioman)). In addition, some characters should have specialized meters, like Magic Meters for all the Zelda characters. Smash Balls can build the Smash Meter for casual play.
This post reminds me why I love the Super Smash Bros. series. The platformer design leaves for so many different possibilities with the game engine. Too bad it's not usually tapped into outside of mods.

Just as a reminder, I would like:
Pre-determined combos ala Tekken - and no, they wouldn't ruin the game.
Air Dashes
Various move cancels.
Throw Escapes
Reformed DI Mechanics
More dynamic blocking.
Fast gameplay.
Reduced lag on most aerials.
Move specific hit and blockstun.
Perhaps a new attack button with the system being similar to Virtua Fighter.

D

Deleted member

This post reminds me why I love the Super Smash Bros. series. The platformer design leaves for so many different possibilities with the game engine. Too bad it's not usually tapped into outside of mods.

Just as a reminder, I would like:
Pre-determined combos ala Tekken - and no, they wouldn't ruin the game.
Air Dashes
Various move cancels.
Throw Escapes
Reformed DI Mechanics
More dynamic blocking.
Fast gameplay.
Reduced lag on most aerials.
Move specific hit and blockstun.
Perhaps a new attack button with the system being similar to Virtua Fighter.
Speaking of a new attack button. You know how from 64 to Melee we got:

-Different "Back" and "Forward" aerial attacks.
-Side Specials
-Chargable Smash Attacks.

What if we expand on this and have:
-"Back" and "Forward" Tilts, Specials and Smash Attacks.

Seriously, is there any reason this couldn't work? Maybe with the Specials you might have technical complications, but with the other two? Part of me wants to think there's a technical reason it hasn't happened, but I can't really think of one... I mean, you'r always "still" when doing Tilts and Smashes, if you're ever running you do a Dash Attack.

-Smashable Specials, not all of them (like UpB) but about about a couple?

-Diagonal Tilts, just one 3A like in BB, it's a Down A with better range. Or, 9A, an Anti Air.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The problem with back tilts and Smashes is that Smash was not designed where you could walk backwards (outside moonwalking in Melee). As such, the only viable ground command inputs are 2,3,5,6,8, and 9 where as there wouldn't be any restriction in the air. If we were to have a third attack button and went for a Virtua Fighter approacher, we would have A, B, X(just as a placeholder), A+B, B+X, and A+B+X with a possibility of up to 36 different ground attacks which is actually very good and not too hard to remember the inputs. For filling in for moves, the ones that have the B button used could go for different specials or specials of different strengths (so not that big of a deal). Strings wouldn't be too difficult as they usually don't go above five hits in a given string.

The question then remains about aerials. I don't think we need 54 aerials. I think you would just need aerials for A, X, and A+X with the current inputs kept so around 15 if we even need that many. Perhaps spread out the current five and no more than five new ones.

We've already kind of have Smash specials with Samus' missiles. It's a concept I wouldn't mind seeing expanded on, but the above proposoal would make this unnecessary and might be asier for 3DS players. I can't see that Circle Pad lasting long since Smash and running inputs are important.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think back and forward tilts wouldn't work in Smash because in Smash, characters are able to face away from their opponents, whereas in other fighting games like Street Fighter, Tekken, BlazBlue, etc., characters have to face each other at all times. That's why those games are able to have back and forward tilts and Smash can't.

Smash Specials can work, however. I believe we already have examples of this in Brawl. Off the top of my head, Luigi's Green Missile, Pikachu's Skull Bash, Ike's Quick Draw, and especially Samus's Missile.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

You guys are right about the back tilts, I guess it'd be too tricky to play with frame data to have them in properly anyway... At least with how Smash works.

Anyway, I always thought that the Green Missile was a 1/3 chance of explosion.

What I meant by Smash Specials was more like Samus, where Smashing the stick produces a POWER (sometimes very different) move.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Should most, if not all, characters have chargeable neutral specials? Like for example, tapping the B button have Mario shooting a fireball. Simple as that... but holding down the B button have Mario shooting fireballs repeatedly like in Super Mario RPG and Mario & Luigi games.

Or, for Samus, holding down the B button has Samus charging her shot and pressing the B button again to shoot... just like what she already does... but if Samus didn't charge her shot and you simply tap the B button, she shoots Ice Beam. It's one of Samus's most important beams in the game. Without it, Samus cannot defeat Metroids.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'd leave that up to individual based. What might be worth considering is SFxTK's charge specials. The way they work there is that you can charge for a meterless EX attack or super or use it to get a free counterattack next time you hit the opponent. Speaking of which, an actual counter mechanic is a must for next game.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I would like to see Magikarp as a Pokemon summon. He could flop around similar to Goldeen, but if the Magikarp manages to flail and flop into a body of water (Ex: The Great Sea, Delfino Plaza..) Magikarp could immediately evolve into Gyarados and begin hydro pumping randomly onto the stage.

vicgur

Smash Ace
I would like to see Magikarp as a Pokemon summon. He could flop around similar to Goldeen, but if the Magikarp manages to flail and flop into a body of water (Ex: The Great Sea, Delfino Plaza..) Magikarp could immediately evolve into Gyarados and begin hydro pumping randomly onto the stage.
I thought of something similar, but instead of falling on water, he evolved when hit.
Just like in this scene[the uploader cut the best part, tho.]

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I thought of something similar, but instead of falling on water, he evolved when hit.
Just like in this scene[the uploader cut the best part, tho.]
I can see that. Players will end up running away from the magikarp to avoid hitting it, and the magikarp could purposely flop and flail closer to players as they fight opponents to get hit intentionally. That can lead to some funny shenanigans.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ ~automatic
Not from the streams per say, but seriously, watch Bladewise play. He's a Washington all-out offensive machine, and it is just a pleasure to watch him play. I wish we could have a future smash bros. game with as much beautiful, technical, and honest offense as Melee had (to allow the beauty that is Bladewise to be real). Do yourself a favor guys, and go look him up on youtube.

I saw Bladewise play at Rule 6 (I was there with my bro) a few months ago, and he was easily the surprise of the show, and became a true fan favorite.
That would be awesome. There is no way that could suck! :laugh:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
LOL, anyone here that NES-001's are worth $1300?

I have an NES-001...LOL, EVERYONE has a NES-001 (That owns an NES)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owLeEOFTFOs

Edit: Just bringing that up because I saw a rant about it. They are STILL selling for thousands of dollars because of that clip

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
@ ~automatic
Not from the streams per say, but seriously, watch Bladewise play. He's a Washington all-out offensive machine, and it is just a pleasure to watch him play. I wish we could have a future smash bros. game with as much beautiful, technical, and honest offense as Melee had (to allow the beauty that is Bladewise to be real). Do yourself a favor guys, and go look him up on youtube.
I know about Bladewise; I had him in both my Brawl and Melee pools at Genesis. There's no doubt he's an extremely talented player with a surprisingly fast and fluid Peach. Dunno if he still plays Brawl but he had an amazing offstage game at that tournament playing as Marth.

Re-plugging the streams so people can watch high level play.
currently offline: http://es-mx.twitch.tv/8wayrun
Currently Melee singles: http://ja.twitch.tv/clashtournaments

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Been awhile since I've been here... But I see not much is known about SSB4 still. Quite frankly, I'm not even interested in it anymore.

However, the battles at APEX... They are hyping me up a bit. Meh, I wish Sakurai waited to reveal SSB4.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Been awhile since I've been here... But I see not much is known about SSB4 still. Quite frankly, I'm not even interested in it anymore.

However, the battles at APEX... They are hyping me up a bit. Meh, I wish Sakurai waited to reveal SSB4.

Lol, you'll be back on the wagon the instant the first trailer is revealed.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
tbh you guys Sm4sh should have been Revealed last E3 or This upcoming E3..

So stupid to make us wait 4/5 Years annoucing it early just to boost WiiU sales..

Pathetic..now we must suffer then longest and hardest Victory Road any of us have ever strifed through...

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
This may pique the interest of some of you. Just found out that the guy playing the voice of Chrom in the English adaptation of Awakening is the same voice actor for Chris Redfield. Food for thought.

Feels

Smash Cadet
tbh you guys Sm4sh should have been Revealed last E3 or This upcoming E3..

So stupid to make us wait 4/5 Years annoucing it early just to boost WiiU sales..

Pathetic..now we must suffer then longest and hardest Victory Road any of us have ever strifed through...

It's not a "pathetic attempt to boost WiiU sales", it's just that It was probably decided around E3 2011 and it was stated to boost good press about the show, tbh I'd rather know earlier, they could show a trailer for it anytime and everyone will still **** their pants. I have no idea what you're mad about.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
This may pique the interest of some of you. Just found out that the guy playing the voice of Chrom in the English adaptation of Awakening is the same voice actor for Christ Redfield. Food for thought.
A good fit if you ask me.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
The real problem nintendo did is announce smash4 for both the wii u and 3ds this early. They should have first tried to make it work before saying they'd make it work. I have high expectations to be able to play smash4 on the 3ds without the wii u and still play others on their wii u. Really hope nintendo won't require me to play on the wii u to play others on the wii u.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure you need a Wii U to play with others that use the Wii U, mainly due to the different formatting and hardware between the Wii U and 3DS.

vicgur

Smash Ace
Do you seriously think Smash Bros is like those LEGO games that appear in every possible console? Do you think Smash Bros is gonna be perfectly ported to the 3DS, with minor differences?
Dude, NO WAY it's gonna be like that. Smash is more complex than that.

I'm expecting a whole new game in the 3DS Smash. I could be something completely different.
Heck, even the roster can be something completely different...

Well, we can only wait to see what Sakurai is doing for us...

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I'm pretty sure you need a Wii U to play with others that use the Wii U, mainly due to the different formatting and hardware between the Wii U and 3DS.
I don't think crossplay between the two would be impossible. I really don't see any reason why a 3DS game couldn't communicate with a Wii U game(especially over WiFi).

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
The real problem nintendo did is announce smash4 for both the wii u and 3ds this early. They should have first tried to make it work before saying they'd make it work. I have high expectations to be able to play smash4 on the 3ds without the wii u and still play others on their wii u. Really hope nintendo won't require me to play on the wii u to play others on the wii u.
Wipeout 2048 comes to mind.

Waldy565

Smash Rookie
Should most, if not all, characters have chargeable neutral specials? Like for example, tapping the B button have Mario shooting a fireball. Simple as that... but holding down the B button have Mario shooting fireballs repeatedly like in Super Mario RPG and Mario & Luigi games.

Or, for Samus, holding down the B button has Samus charging her shot and pressing the B button again to shoot... just like what she already does... but if Samus didn't charge her shot and you simply tap the B button, she shoots Ice Beam. It's one of Samus's most important beams in the game. Without it, Samus cannot defeat Metroids.
Hi guys, I'm hoping I will receive a warm welcome to the forums. Brief history: my life with Smash Bros began with Brawl, I was bit skeptical of the Smash bros series, but when I got Brawl a couple of years ago, I fell in love with it. Any, why I quoted Arcadenik...

As announced, Sakurai said he is developing the 3DS to build your character, which you can then port to your Wii U version to fight online (presumably due to the Wii U's better hardware leading to better internet infrastructure,). This would make your post, as well as the others based around this, even more valid, as characters would develop these kind of skills as you would develop them via the 3DS. What interests me is do we take Sakurai literally in how he says "develop your character"? Does this mean we choose our preferred character at the start of the game, like a Mii, and this becomes your "main" character? Or maybe, you do this, but he/she becomes the "main" character in the Adventure mode? Or maybe they'll be no online play on the 3DS version, only local multiplayer and an adventure mode, to make more use of the Wii U one (as well as the better infrastructure, better graphics etc on the home console,).

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I was thinking about items, and I was thinking: What about the Ultra Hand? Or the Ultra Machine baseball-throwing machine?

FlappyFalco

Smesh Ace
NNID
HyperToxBox64
3DS FC
3866-8228-7394
Switch FC
SW-5551-9470-0820
Does anybody else think they should change Mario's final smash? I don't think he can do that in any game he has appeared in (other than Super Smash Bros. of course) and it isn't very powerful. Maybe something more representative of the series would fit better, like a Mega Mushroom? :awesome:

Shimesaba

Smash Apprentice
Finally discovered Sakurai's twitter. Most recent tweet (from Thursday) says
「今はちとピンチだけど頑張ります。」
Basically that he's in crunch time (in a pinch) right now. Maybe we'll actually hear something before too long =\

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Does anybody else think they should change Mario's final smash? I don't think he can do that in any game he has appeared in (other than Super Smash Bros. of course) and it isn't very powerful. Maybe something more representative of the series would fit better, like a Mega Mushroom? :awesome:

It's based upon his Fireball spell/ability in Super Mario RPG. Loosely, but it's the only time he brings out that much fire.

And another transformation? No thanks. It's overdone already.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
They should make it more like Mario RPG.

Maybe it should have you rapidly tap the attack button or something

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
It's based upon his Fireball spell/ability in Super Mario RPG. Loosely, but it's the only time he brings out that much fire.
Is it? I doubt it, especially considering there were a ton off other FS's that were original creations.

Personally, I kinda like it. Maybe buff it a bit, but I think it fits, given that he's kinda like SSB's Ryu in a way(or at least used to be).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Is it? I doubt it, especially considering there were a ton off other FS's that were original creations.
Actually, not that many were. Link(both)'s were. R.O.B.'s was. All the Pokemon and the rest of the Zelda characters were. Luigi's wasn't entirely original, as it was based upon the actual Minus World and some of his own emotions. Considering we never say him use any type of magic before(there really isn't any in the Mario & Luigi series) like Mario, Bowser, or Peach, it seems to fit his style well. Bowser's was from a character in the earlier game, so not entirely original by that point.(was a previous transformation) Wario Man, Super Sonic, the Landmasters, Snake, Yoshi, even Peach were all based upon some of their regular abilities. Samus' two were not outside of her series much at all.(not sure if ZSS' was, though) Olimar's is actually based upon the game. Ice Climbers was originally, admittably.

Most of them are based upon the actual series. And yeah, there's very little difference between Mario Finale and his Fireball spell.(I forget the exact name of it, Flame Orb, I think? Been years.) His final version has him send a ton of flame towards one person while constantly mashing A for more damage.

Personally, I kinda like it. Maybe buff it a bit, but I think it fits, given that he's kinda like SSB's Ryu in a way(or at least used to be).
Nah, he's still an overall shotoclone. He's just diverged a bit from it when they added FLUDD.

Also, only Zero Laser is similar to the Shinku Hadoken.(I may be off on the spelling or name, I have no way to play Street Fighter IV at the moment)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom