• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
In other news, I really love the opening movies for Super Smash Bros. and Super Smash Bros. Melee. You'd be quite amazed by how a simple opening movie can make you feel pumped to clash as your favorite Nintendo character. Which is why I didn't really like Brawl's opening that much, since it kinda lacked that feeling of intensity and enchantment.

I would really like that feeling again of awe when I first saw the Super Smash Bros. Melee opening, which is why I'm striving for that spiritual successor to pop up in the next game.

D

Deleted member

Waterbenders and Fiber cars, oh my!

Anyway, there are some news about Self-Driving cars and Flying car prototypes if that piques your interest...

On subject, I agree with Habanero about the "epic" feeling in Brawl, something about the entire game's presentation just felt so.... off. Especially in contrast to Melee, a lot of it has to do with their song choice, I never liked that Gregorian Chant-like song in Brawl, compered to the more Orchestral song used in Melee.

Like, I can still go back to watch, or even just listen to the song in Melee and still get goosebumps as my eyes tear up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb1-pJXnGtA

Like, in Melee it FEELS like an epic Clash of Nintendo All-Stars, not to mention the announcer had more energy in Melee.

Speaking of Awesome songs, you guys ever hear this incredible remix?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg5irn7S9NU

This would make for an awesome throwback song for stages like Final Destination and Battlefield. In fact, what if they made a new Smash Bros. Only stage like FD and BF, something like Smash Stadium as a more "athletic" competitive stage. Not like Pokemon Stadium, but at the same time yes. Like one that isn't floating so you can't fall off, but is very large with platforms, and a large crowd watching and cheering you on.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Which is why I didn't really like Brawl's opening that much, since it kinda lacked that feeling of intensity and enchantment.
That's because the 64 and Melee intros actually had original FMV scenes (Brawl's intro was almost entirely made up of Subspace Emissary scenes)

The announcer didn't shout out the name of the game at the start screen after Brawl's intro, either. Everything about that intro just felt lazy and anticlimactic, which wasn't the case for 64's and Melee's intros

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
The main problem I had with Brawl's aesthetics was not the theme song itself (I actually rather like Latin choral music), but that it was remixed for everything. They overdid it with the theme song remixes.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The main problem I had with Brawl's aesthetics was not the theme song itself (I actually rather like Latin choral music), but that it was remixed for everything. They overdid it with the theme song remixes.
Agreed. I didn't mind it being remixed for the FD and Battlefield themes, but the rest were just too much.

I also agree about the intro's, Melee's intro >>>>>>>>>>> Brawl's intro.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Agreed. I didn't mind it being remixed for the FD and Battlefield themes, but the rest were just too much.

Brawl's intro was disappointing compared to Melee, but it's still epic IMO.

yeah... Brawl's main theme was a little overused compared to other games that also do this kind of thing, but I don't mind it, actually. The best version of the theme is Final Destination's by far.

D

Deleted member

I dunno, from day one I never really liked Brawl's theme. It felt like it was trying too hard to give an epic feeling. Like, things were really big, and for some reason, that try-hard aspect of the theme didn't sit well with me.

It just didn't feel like a theme suitable for a fighting game, too slow, too grandiose, it lacked SOUL.

I mean, compare it to Ryu's or Cammy's or Guile's themes in SF.

Or the MK theme song, those feel like a strong hard impact, just like Melee's main theme, Brawl's didn't have that PUNCH if you catch my drift.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If that's how you see it, fine by me...

...but you have to agree that Brawl's Final Destination theme was epic. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

That I can agree with, it was better than Melee's n fact (which was also very good), but it should have remained a Final Destination only song. Not the entire theme of the game.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think it's because Brawl's main theme lacks any form of intensity compared to the previous themes, as such it didn't feel as memorable.

Though I do admit that the lyrics had some sort of poetic feeling to it, which was basically a description of fighting on wards and being some sort of mighty hero.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I posted this on the Roster discussion but it's something to be noted here.

2014 will be....
The 125th anniversary of Nintendo
The 25th anniversary of the Game Boy
The 15th anniversary of SSB

So, what better year would there be to release an SSB game, especially the first SSB game that will be on a handheld as well?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'd imagine 2014 being a reasonable year. I mean at least 2 years of development would be squeezed in by then, so it's not like it's impossible, especially when the development team seems more competent this time. However, I do doubt it will be released on January 21st.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
I'd imagine 2014 being a reasonable year. I mean at least 2 years of development would be squeezed in by then, so it's not like it's impossible, especially when the development team seems more competent this time. However, I do doubt it will be released on January 21st.
Well, wasn't it dumped into the early-year abyss because they thought it wouldn't sell? Or at the very least wouldn't become the big hit it became?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Super Smash Bros. wasn't expected to be a huge hit due the unusual concept and low budget, and was originally going to a Japan only title. Of course when the game sold unexpectedly well, it was later exported over to other regions.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
That's because the 64 and Melee intros actually had original FMV scenes (Brawl's intro was almost entirely made up of Subspace Emissary scenes)
Agreed. It also didn't help that SSE was generally perceived as an uninspired way of presenting what was the games story mode.
Agreed. Hearing the same song everywhere is one of the reasons I modded my Wii for custom music, lol.

Btw, Brawl's soundtrack was great imo.
I dunno, from day one I never really liked Brawl's theme. It felt like it was trying too hard to give an epic feeling. Like, things were really big, and for some reason, that try-hard aspect of the theme didn't sit well with me.

It just didn't feel like a theme suitable for a fighting game, too slow, too grandiose, it lacked SOUL.

I mean, compare it to Ryu's or Cammy's or Guile's themes in SF.
I don't think Brawl's theme lacked soul or was trying too hard; it was a damn good theme. However to me the theme felt like it was meant to be a theme for SSE which left the action-flatformer-fighting-party game without a proper theme to reflect and match the game's real atraction which is the VS. mode.

Also don't compare Guile's theme to Brawl's theme; Guile's theme actually goes with everything, lel.

Hoots

Can Be Combative

I'd actually say that structurally, Brawl's theme is technically a better song, but the fact that they remixed it a thousand times really spoiled it for most people. By the time Brawl came out, I was so sick of the song that I turned the bar to 0 for every remix of the theme. I went back several years later and listened to it, and realized that the song is pretty damn good.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Oh, we're talking about intros! I love those things, and, well, didn't like SSBB's, but nevertheless the music itself wasn't the problem, yea it is indeed a thing of visual.

I don't know how to directly link to posts, if it's possible, but I feel the two posts I made in this thread help the discussion of intros and music: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=329584

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Who was it that said Mario should pull a Nick Fury at the end of Nintendo games asking if characters herd of of the Smash Bros Initiative? So funny!

I took that idea on to Miiverse with a couple of posts. But it's the follow up pictures that people drew that are hilarious. If you have a Wii U, look up romancedawn and check it out, and if you draw, make one yourself please!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/imagezptn.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/856/imageceye.jpg/

Don't know why I can't post these pictures directly.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
The intro for PS AllStars is kinda cool because of the visuals and action scenes but it doesn't really make me hype for the game like Melee's intro does.

Btw, each character has a rival in their arcade mode story (which was even more underwhelming than SSE) so this way of introducing the characters forks for that game.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
One of my personal favorite ideas has been the diorama type opening for UMvC3. One thing though I'd like to see more of is the characters fighting each other. For a game series focused on that, it acts more like an anime type opening, but that's not bad either.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
You know what I really want back for SSB4? Race to the finish, or even better, board the platforms. That would seriously make me happy. :)

D

Deleted member

Who was it that said Mario should pull a Nick Fury at the end of Nintendo games asking if characters herd of of the Smash Bros Initiative? So funny!

I took that idea on to Miiverse with a couple of posts. But it's the follow up pictures that people drew that are hilarious. If you have a Wii U, look up romancedawn and check it out, and if you draw, make one yourself please!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/197/imagezptn.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/856/imageceye.jpg/

Don't know why I can't post these pictures directly.
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

I got a bit lazy toward the end, so it's somewhat sloppy... oh well.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
One of my personal favorite ideas has been the diorama type opening for UMvC3.
The opening for UMVC3 is perfect for that game despite being a bit long for my taste. It beautifully showcases the game's 3D comic book-y art style and presents the crossover rivalries in beautiful still lifes which are action packed (and ****ING COOL). Plus it gives the Capcom roster the same larger than life air that many comic book characters have.

I think that the diorama presentation could be done for Smash as well; just not in the same way UMVC3 did it. Considering that in Smash the characters are toys or action figures, not the actual characters themselves, something like a makeshift diorama with books and desk stuff that transforms into a level where two characters battle would be cool... again (because better graphics).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I kinda want see more comics like that, maybe with something related to Takamaru, King K. Rool, Palutena, or Ridley if possible.

A shame I suck so much at drawing, since I would do it myself if I could.

D

Deleted member

I kinda want see more comics like that, maybe with something related to Takamaru, King K. Rool, Palutena, or Ridley if possible.

I got one cooked up for Palutena already, I may get around to drawing it sometime this weekend... maybe. It'll try to make it a bit more clean than this Megaman one.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I just want Nintendo to not take any short cuts and give us a half way decent game.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045

I drew a Ridley one on Miiverse as well.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/imagewag.jpg/

Love that Megaman one, lol!

A friend followed up my Pikachu picture with Luigi reporting to Mario that he found it. A hammer in a crater, which was game and watches, he then summons lighting with a 9. lol

:phone:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I should draw one where mario is giving out invitations in a row, ridley is next, and mario just walks past him to Tingle and hands him an invitations

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
God, Brawl's opening sucked. All SSE, and crappy showcasing of the characters and game.

But really, take the approach for the Melee opening, make it longer, make it all about the characters, the universes colliding, and the sheer epicness of the event of Smash Bros, and you got yourself an awesome opening! :grin:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I want to continue something John brought up in the roster thread. John's fond of the idea of everyone having a transformation final Smash. I, on the other hand, am more fond of an Overdrive mode, something like the infamous X-Factor but not stupid and has additional character specific boosts.

I personally don't care for the transforming thing as it's not easy to apply that to everyone.

On another topic, one thing that always irritated me with Brawl was that hits had no weight to them. There wasn't that awesome feeling you get from when you land something on the opponent. With Namco on board, I don't think we have to worry about this.

D

Deleted member

I want to continue something John brought up in the roster thread. John's fond of the idea of everyone having a transformation final Smash. I, on the other hand, am more fond of an Overdrive mode, something like the infamous X-Factor but not stupid and has additional character specific boosts.

I personally don't care for the transforming thing as it's not easy to apply that to everyone.
I'm glad you brought this up over here since I missed that discussion last night.

Anyway, I remember making a post (somewhere...) talking about my thoughts on that. I think meters should be added (suggested a circular meter) for all characters that build up their Final Smash and Assist Trophies, with all characters having 2-3 different Final Smashes (preset combos (Like Ike's Great Aether), Super Moves (Like Samus' SuperBeam), and Transformations (Like Warioman)). In addition, some characters should have specialized meters, like Magic Meters for all the Zelda characters. Smash Balls can build the Smash Meter for casual play.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I think what John meant overalll is that he wants FS were you actually do the ownage your self transformations let you do that.

Giga bowser and Wario man are the best examples and super sonic too but boring..

I agree totally with him if thats what his point is. Ganondorf transforming into a limited time Playable Beast Ganon would be murder!!! and is the best plus it will never get boring..

Out of my whole brawl career i tell you transforming into Giga Bowser and getting a double KO with a fire headbutt never got boring even the slightest.

The ability of total uber control for a short time Vs. One quickk awsome looking cutscene kill..

I know which one i will pick... cheap thrills get boring quick because there ''Cheap'

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom