• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Excuse me, but can I get a source which states that Sakurai is using Brawl era popularity?

Smash fandom has Sakurai figured out from the bottom up, and knows exactly what moves he will make. Until they get blind sided by the Wii Fit Trainer or the Villager. (Hell, the Pokemon Trainer surprised a lot of people when they showed him in the Brawl dojo back in the day)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Didn't she only use her staff in 1 appearance?

She probably would be using a laser gun and shield like the rest of the star fox crew

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I like that she's one of the few Nintendo females that actually has real character development and actually participates in combat.
"FOX I LOVE YOU A LOT FOX I LOVE YOU SO MUCH WHY ARE YOU DENYING MY LOVE STOP DENYING MY LOVE FOX FOX YOUR MAI HUSBANDO COME ON LOVE ME FOX COME ON FOX LOVE ME PLEASE I'LL GO EMO IF YOU DON'T TAKE MY LOVE FOX"

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
"FOX I LOVE YOU A LOT FOX I LOVE YOU SO MUCH WHY ARE YOU DENYING MY LOVE STOP DENYING MY LOVE FOX FOX YOUR MAI HUSBANDO COME ON LOVE ME FOX COME ON FOX LOVE ME PLEASE I'LL GO EMO IF YOU DON'T TAKE MY LOVE FOX"

Are you sure you're not thinking of Amy Rose?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Smash fandom has Sakurai figured out from the bottom up, and knows exactly what moves he will make. Until they get blind sided by the Wii Fit Trainer or the Villager. (Hell, the Pokemon Trainer surprised a lot of people when they showed him in the Brawl dojo back in the day)

I still am taking these with grain of salt but it's interesting to hear anyway. But hey, it would go anyway, like always.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yeah. Its not just the games that Krystal was in that were bad, but also Krystal was a pretty awful character herself who was pretty much just tacked on to the series. That is not also bringing in all the creepy fans she has.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Excuse me, but can I get a source which states that Sakurai is using Brawl era popularity?
There's no conclusive evidence; only speculation. The fact that most of the new characters in Brawl were leftovers from the official Melee poll is argued by some to be more than just a little uncanny. From a development point of view it kind of makes sense too because Sakurai has stated that determining the roster is one of the first things he tries to knock out whenever he develops a Smash game. Another thing to consider that most of the popular character requests for SSB4 were a lot of same ones that didn't make it into Brawl five years ago just like how the most popular character requests didn't dramatically change from Melee to Brawl. That being said I don't think he would be offending too many people's sensibilities if he used old surveys/data because it's still mostly relevant to the fans' current tastes.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Villager WOULD have been an obvious choice if he didn't state that he was incapable of fighting during Brawl's development.

Though Tom Nook still would have been better

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Yeah, I think you're confusing her with someone else. She quits Team Star Fox at the beginning of Command and even goes to join Star Wolf. The game also heavily implies that she strongly considered leaving Fox for Panther Caruso. For more than half of the game, Krystal is downright cold to Fox and even tells him to get out of her life.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
A reboot would be best for the Starfox series, but that doesn't mean characters can't be recreated with new backstories. A soft reboot would be best, which would leave characters in their roles (Starfox Team: Fox, Falco, Slippy, and Krystal with Peppy as an adviser), but not really mention anything after 64, and changing character histories so they can de-age them and stuff.

Heh. Not saying she would be the best female Fire Emblem rep, but think about it as a fan of Smash who doesn't play Fire Emblem. If you play SSB4 and see 2 dudes with Blue Hair and swords and one chick with blue hair and a sword, it is slightly less redundant then 3 blue haired dudes with swords. I like Fire Emblem, but there are more Smash fans that play FE characters then FE fans that play Smash.
Smash continues the tradition of characters fighting in their own game styles, which is the most awesome thing by far. Both possible Awakening lord reps (Chrom and Lucina) fight in a style completely different than Marth and Ike, and Smash would honor that. Lucina in particular holds both hands on the sword in her default stance, and strikes mainly with stabs.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yeah, I think you're confusing her with someone else. She quits Team Star Fox at the beginning of Command and even goes to join Star Wolf. The game also heavily implies that she strongly considered leaving Fox for Panther Caruso. For more than half of the game, Krystal is downright cold to Fox and even tells him to get out of her life.
Ah Command. AKA the crappy furry space opera.

The post-64 Star Fox are subpar and forgettable. 90% of the Star Fox's series's popularity comes from the first two games.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
There's no conclusive evidence; only speculation. The fact that most of the new characters in Brawl were leftovers from the official Melee poll is argued by some to be more than just a little uncanny. From a development point of view it kind of makes sense too because Sakurai has stated that determining the roster is one of the first things he tries to knock out whenever he develops a Smash game. Another thing to consider that most of the popular character requests for SSB4 were a lot of same ones that didn't make it into Brawl five years ago just like how the most popular character requests didn't dramatically change from Melee to Brawl. That being said I don't think he would be offending too many people's sensibilities if he used old surveys/data because it's still mostly relevant to the fans' current tastes.
Thanks. I get it now.:)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Most of the ol' gang in the Geno thread seems to be back. Or at least have posted once

So, if she isn't Fox's girl, doesn't that make her even LESS relevant to Smash?

Since the argument for her is she fits into the archetype Hero, Sidekick, Love Interest, Villain quad thing

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Ah Command. AKA the crappy furry space opera.

The post-64 Star Fox are subpar and forgettable. 90% of the Star Fox's series's popularity comes from the first two games.
True but, again, that's why I think people crap all over Krystal because she was literally introduced at the very beginning of the first genuinely disappointing Star Fox game. Yes, she has Rule 34 but so does every other video game character regardless of sex and, yes, her fans are annoying but the same can be said for just about any other fanbase, especially if the character happens to fall into "furry" territory. All and all, Krystal is not a bad character and I'd argue that she was actually the best thing to come out of the three post Star Fox 64 games.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero

Since the argument for her is she fits into the archetype Hero, Sidekick, Love Interest, Villain quad thing
That's only assuming proper archetype representation in Smash itself is relevant when it comes to character inclusions

She's still an important character to the series Adventures and on

Not a fan of Krystal of any means (I'm neutral on her) btw

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The best thing that came out of post games after Star Fox 64 was the improved multiplayer mode in Star Fox: Assault. Shame that was dumb down in Star Fox: Command.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Jumping into the conversation- I understand that Krystal is a highly hoped-for character, and really, I think that's all it will stay as. She's like Ridley- the desire for her arrival was built not for her storyline, but her image overall. I'm not saying everyone who wants her is a furry, but quite frankly, I've never heard anyone say, "I want Krystal because she's a well developed character.".

Also on a side note, I changed my name again. *confetti*

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Jumping into the conversation- I understand that Krystal is a highly hoped-for character, and really, I think that's all it will stay as. She's like Ridley- the desire for her arrival was built not for her storyline, but her image overall. I'm not saying everyone who wants her is a furry, but quite frankly, I've never heard anyone say, "I want Krystal because she's a well developed character.".

Also on a side note, I changed my name again. *confetti*

... Asage?

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
He said asage stood for AuraSage a while back, so... yeah

Pretty sure that's him

Haven't seen ya in a minute though lol you still want Victini?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Yes, she has Rule 34 but so does every other video game character regardless of sex and,.
Her "sex appeal" is a much bigger part of her than say someone like Zelda. Don't even try to argue that there is just as much of Zelda or Peach's fanbase that gush about how "hot" she is as the Krystal fanbase.

Also, Krystal is just as much the single best thing to come out of the Star Fox games as Dr. Mario is the single most unique character ever to be added to Smash Bros. series.

The consensus on Krystal (outside her fanbase) is that she is bad characters (a lot of people put her in the same boat as Sonic's crappy friend from the post-Genesis/MegaDrive games), and that the post-64 games overall have a lot of flaws to them.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Most of the ol' gang in the Geno thread seems to be back. Or at least have posted once

Not really because, as the games have shown, she has autonomy and individuality outside of Fox. She was originally planned to be the star of Dinosaur Planet before Miyamoto said "this would be groovy as a Star Fox game" and I think the games did a decent job of reflecting that. She's not as independent as, say, Samus but I would argue that she is comparable to Zelda (specifically the OoT and TP incarnations) in being able to reasonably fend for herself. I feel that this is also why Falco sticks out as a notable character in the franchise as opposed to Slippy and Peppy.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Maaaan, long time no see! *Pats on the back*

How's things?
Eh, not much, just thought I'd see how you all are doing, what everyone thinks of that smash trailer, etc..

He said asage stood for AuraSage a while back, so... yeah

Pretty sure that's him

Haven't seen ya in a minute though lol you still want Victini?
Hell yeah I do, but at this point, I see that it really doesn't matter. With Mega Man comfirmed, I really don't give a duckling who comes.

Except Mewtwo.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Not really because, as the games have shown, she has autonomy and individuality outside of Fox. .
Her autonomy and individuality outside of Fox amounted to acting like a ***** in Command.

She is basically the Star Fox series equivalent of Rouge the Bat except with more screen time.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Was Dinosaur planet going to be a RARE game?

She's kind of lucky it changed to a star fox game because if it hadn't no one would have ever seen her again

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So I guess we're going to spend the next few pages ******** about Krystal, again. Well isn't that just ****ing amazing!?

Look, can we just all agree that she's a worthless sack of **** and move on?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The thing that's a bug in my ear about this whole conversation is that you're stating opinions as facts and, yes, I get it, you vehemently hate the character but I think your dislike for her is a bit overblown to the point that you're actually verbally attacking people for not agreeing with you. Honestly though, I'm not saying you have to like Krystal, I'm just sharing my point of view.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
So I guess we're going to spend the next few pages *****ing about Krystal, again. Well isn't that just ****ing amazing!?

Look, can we just all agree that she's a worthless sack of **** and move on?
Would you rather talk about what Pokemon should be playable? Cause that could be new and awspiring.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Doesn't matter if we want him. He's not getting into smash

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Would you rather talk about what Pokemon should be playable? Cause that could be new and awspiring.
Well, I am probably one of the few people that would actually like the idea of Zoroark in Super Smash Bros., but Blaziken has always been the Pokemon I really wanted for a long time.
Okay,so let's talk about how Chrom is the most interesting newcomer at this point. :troll:
Go home FalKoopa your drunk.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
That archetype works for non-generational series, although I would argue it's more of an opposite gender hero (which is mostly female) and not necessarily love interest.
Mario: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser
Zelda:Link, Toon Link, Zelda, Ganondorf
You can even stretch it for other series if it's not a love interest.
Pokemon: Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, Jigglypuff, and Lucario

And for predictions:
Donkey Kong: Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool
Kid Icarus: Pit, Dark Pit, Palutena, Hades (or Medusa)
Starfox: Fox, Falco, Krystal, Wolf
(Doesn't Fit as Well) Fire Emblem: Marth, Ike, Lucina, and Black Knight (maybe)

And for what other series are missing:
Kirby: Does he have a female rep or character?
Metroid: Dark Samus and Ridley fit, but does she have a male hero worth mentioning?
I just did this because I find archetypes fun.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Krystal's worthy enough to get into Smash IMO but beyond that I don't really care; Assault's my favorite Star Fox game, and I wasn't around that long to see her fanbase. Should she get in, however, I would just like to see other series like Metroid/DK/F-Zero get some attention beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom