• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Aside from Palutena (and excluding Mario universe characters), those are also the only well known characters left from veteran franchises that were not playable in Brawl. I would say Toad is a Nintendo All-Star at this point, but he is still a very iffy character in regards to actually getting in Smash 4.

Palutena may not be an overall well known character, but she is definitely a necessary addition in regards to Kid Icarus, especially after Uprising.

Aside from those (Toad, K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ridley, Mewtwo, Roy, and Palutena) there is no one else from veteran franchises that I really think really needs to be added in. I think if Sakurai went in the direction of looking more towards newcomer series that overall it was a wise choice considering the newcomer pool in relation to veteran franchises.

Its a shame there was no new Custom Robo released since 2006, else I am sure Sakurai would have finally given the series a playable character this time.

I believe that a Fire Emblem Awakening rep is somewhat likely (in the same ball park as Roy.) I also would not be surprised to see an F-Zero rep, Sakuria doesn't care too much about relevance. Besides those (and an outside chance at Krystal if he was using Brawl polls) I think you are spot on.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I believe that a Fire Emblem Awakening rep is somewhat likely (in the same ball park as Roy.) I also would not be surprised to see an F-Zero rep, Sakuria doesn't care too much about relevance. Besides those (and an outside chance at Krystal if he was using Brawl polls) I think you are spot on.
Chrom only gets in if he bumps out Ike. They could go with the My Unit if they want a FE13 character that aesthetically contrasts with Marth and Ike, but I am not optimistic Sakurai will go down that road. Anna is also possible but even less likely than the My Unit.

I am doubtful that a second F-Zero character will happen, and SF getting a fourth character (Krystal) is not much in the cards either. I think Kirby (Waddle Dee) would be a better choice for a fourth character than Krystal would be. But I think those characters are better off being saved for Smash 5 (though Krystal will basically be a distant memory by the time Smash 5 happens if no new Star Fox games happens by then, or if the series reboots the post-64 games out of existence).

Hoots

Can Be Combative
He is using Brawl polls. Every Smash game is pretty much catchup from the previous iteration. Brawl was what Melee's roster should have been. I believe Smash 4 will be what Brawl's roster should have been. Sakurai himself said that he has all the character data that he needs and has had it for a while. This would mean that a lot of characters who were popular for Brawl have a much better chance than a lot of us here give them credit for. This is why I don't totally count out the likes of Krystal, Geno, and even Black Shadow (I know, right?). This also gives me hope that K. Rool's (apparent) absence from Tropical Freeze and Dixie's playability is meaningless.

While obviously this doesn't mean that these long shots have a good chance of making it, I think it's something we should consider.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Chrom only gets in if he bumps out Ike. They could go with the My Unit if they want a FE13 character that aesthetically contrasts with Marth and Ike, but I am not optimistic Sakurai will go down that road. Anna is also possible but even less likely than the My Unit.

I am doubtful that a second F-Zero character will happen, and SF getting a fourth character (Krystal) is not much in the cards either. I think Kirby (Waddle Dee) would be a better choice for a fourth character than Krystal would be. But I think those characters are better off being saved for Smash 5 (though Krystal will basically be a distant memory by the time Smash 5 happens if no new Star Fox games happens by then, or if the series reboots the post-64 games out of existence).

I think Lucina would be a better character then Chrom, as at least she would be a FEMALE blue haired swordsman. I also don't think Chrom could bump out Ike, as there style of sword play is different. I would much rather have Roy then either, but I wouldn't be surprised if either was included. Remember before Brawl when almost everyone was discounting Wolf a a new comer because he would be too similiar to Fox? Trying to predict picks on need or relevance isn't going to work I think. As far as F-Zero goes, the fact that Sakurai included an F-Zero character in the Melee intro AND as an assist trophy means that the franchise was on his mind.... and lets not forget that he likes to roll over ides from game to game.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
This be crazy tho. I'd dig if they went with what we're hypothizing. We'd get most characters we wanted to see in Brawl but didn't make the cut.
Yay Roy! Is all I can say to that. Hahaha. Among others of course, wouldn't this make Isaac more likely too? I forget how he did in the pre brawl polls.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Remember before Brawl when almost everyone was discounting Wolf a a new comer because he would be too similiar to Fox?
That was not "everyone". That was Krystal fanboys. Seriously, Wolf was just as requested as Krystal was even in the West. Krystal fanboys shouted at the top of their lungs at every chance they got that Krystal would definitely get the staff, while Wolf would definitely be a clone, so that made people on the sidelines think "Krystal g00d cuz unique and b00bs, Wolf bad cuz clone and dangly parts".

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
This be crazy tho. I'd dig if they went with what we're hypothizing. We'd get most characters we wanted to see in Brawl but didn't make the cut.

I think to an extent he's going to look at the Brawl polls as well as the face of Nintendo right now and who might apply and pick from both, which is probably how we got Ms. Fit.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think Lucina would be a better character then Chrom, as at least she would be a FEMALE blue haired swordsman.

Wait, she'd be better because.... Eh... I'd much rather have Lyn or Anna if we need a female Fire Emblem character that badly. But that's just my opinion...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That was not "everyone". That was Krystal fanboys. Seriously, Wolf was just as requested as Krystal was even in the West. Krystal fanboys shouted at the top of their lungs at every chance they got that Krystal would definitely get the staff, while Wolf would definitely be a clone, so that made people on the sidelines think "Krystal g00d cuz unique and b00bs, Wolf bad cuz clone and dangly parts".
I'm gonna laugh so hard when/if Krystal is announced as a playable character.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Heh. Not saying she would be the best female Fire Emblem rep, but think about it as a fan of Smash who doesn't play Fire Emblem. If you play SSB4 and see 2 dudes with Blue Hair and swords and one chick with blue hair and a sword, it is slightly less redundant then 3 blue haired dudes with swords. I like Fire Emblem, but there are more Smash fans that play FE characters then FE fans that play Smash.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Heh. Not saying she would be the best female Fire Emblem rep, but think about it as a fan of Smash who doesn't play Fire Emblem. If you play SSB4 and see 2 dudes with Blue Hair and swords and one chick with blue hair and a sword, it is slightly less redundant then 3 blue haired dudes with swords. I like Fire Emblem, but there are more Smash fans that play FE characters then FE fans that play Smash.
Funny you say that when most people who play FE outside of Japan learned of it from Smash Brothers. Like myself.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Krystal's staff should be a playable character, nobody actually gives a **** about Krystal.

Not as hard as me and Habanero are going to laugh when Star Fox Wii U is announced and that abomination gets retconned out of existence.
I'd love to see another retcon to the Star Fox series, personally. Trying to start from square one would be a good idea at this rate.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If Krystal does get retconned out of existence, and Sakurai chooses Slippy for the 4th StarFox rep (if it gets one), I'll enjoy the butthurt. :evil:

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
If Krystal does get retconned out of existence, and Sakurai chooses Slippy for the 4th StarFox rep (if it gets one), I'll enjoy the butthurt. :evil:
I liked adventures and Assault and Krystal a little bit but.. it looks like that would get me shot here
Would Slippy's taunts be variations on his 64 Help cries? HELP ME FOX!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I really find it tho sad that Krystal could have been a good character from the vision the Dinosaur Planet-footages showed to me (and to lesser extent, Star Fox Adventures). Now she's the poster girl for furries with totally mood-swinging personality.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
That analogy doesn't exactly work considering Lucina looks very similar to Marth. Not to mention there are concerns with gameplay and the massive hurtle of making a interesting character out of that.

I really find it tho sad that Krystal could have been a good character from the vision the Dinosaur Planet-footages showed to me (and to lesser extent, Star Fox Adventures). Now she's the poster girl for furries with totally mood-swinging personality.
You can partially blame the changes made between Dinosaur Planet and Star Fox Adventures, and the developers having no idea on how to handle the writing.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
That analogy doesn't exactly work considering Lucina looks very similar to Marth. Not to mention there are concerns with gameplay and the massive hurtle of making a interesting character out of that.

If they use Marth's Shadow Dragon design it wouldn't be that big of a hurdle, and I also think that Chrom isn't unique as a default either. Either one CAN be made interesting, though.

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
I'd recommend almost every game in the series due to my Final Fantasy bias [4 and 9 more so then the rest]. But if you don't like random encounters. Tough cookies I'm afraid. The stories do get much more engaging past 3 though.
Yea, I heard a lot about 4, I guess I'll try that one out.
Also, I was spoiled with no random encounters, I only played JRPGs like Chrono Trigger, Ni No Kuni, and Mario RPG games.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Eh, maybe you're right. I remember support for Wolf being rather weak overall though, due to split support from fans the wanted Falco to return and from Krystal fans. Some people where unsure of a third Star Fox rep, as well. Over all I am pretty indifferent towards Kyrstal, I would rather have a lot of other characters get in but I wouldn't be upset if she made it. I think some people were pissed at Wolf as well because he and ROB were the last new comers that people found out about.... and neither one was Ridley.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Not to mention there are concerns with gameplay and the massive hurtle of making a interesting character out of that.
Not sure if this has even been posted here yet, but it seems that gameplay is definitely weighing heavily in Sakurai's mind:

Famitsu translation

Not much new here. Says again that the Villager was originally planned for Brawl (which is something you should all already know if you've read this thread) but was taken out due to not being fit for fighting. He changed his mind when he thought that the gameplay style of the Villager outweighed his prior worries about including him.

Says he wanted a character that had a dancing sort of vibe to it, this is where the Wii Fit Trainer came in.

Wanted to go the extra mile with Mega Man instead of just ripping his old MvC moveset. Wanted to keep him true to his original self by implementing all the Robot Master attacks, 8 Bit themed animations/blank face. Says the team each had their own ideas for such a moveset and that he took ideas from everyone.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Still surprised that Sakurai even acknowledges PSASBR's existence and how he talked about Fallout.
Well, Sakurai does own a PlayStation 3 (I remember a news report last year that he lost 18 years worth of PS1, PS2, & PS3 data/content due to a crash he experienced) and with all those months worth of talk on the internet comparing PlayStation All-Stars to Super Smash Bros. there's no way Sakurai could not hear of PSASBR's existence.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd gladly take Krystal as the punching bag in Training Mode.
Since it's immoral to beat up woman in games, as seen in what they did to American release Final Fight, would that mean they would have to make canonically Krystal a man?

...actually the Krystal fans might like that

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Since it's immoral to beat up woman in games, as seen in what they did to American release Final Fight, would that mean they would have to make canonically Krystal a man?
Apparently none of the previous games in the Super Smash Bros. series never happened. You can beat up Peach, Zelda, Samus, Nana, and (arguably) Jigglypuff.

Also you can beat up children and animals too.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Apparently none of the previous games in the Super Smash Bros. series never happened. You can also beat up Peach, Zelda, Samus, Nana, and (arguably) Jigglypuff.

Also you can beat up children and animals too.
I just figured they were all men

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Excuse me, but can I get a source which states that Sakurai is using Brawl era popularity?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I actually like Krystal as a character... I think a lot of the hate for her comes from people blaming the mediocrity of Adventures, Assault, and Command on her rather than Nintendo for treating the Star Fox franchise like a beach ball. I like that she's one of the few Nintendo females that actually has real character development and actually participates in combat. I also like that she has a working relationship with Fox and the rest of the Star Fox crew. Command didn't have the greatest story but I appreciate that they depicted Fox and Krystal having a rocky relationship, just like a real couple. That resonated with me because you definitely don't see that with Mario and Peach or Link and Zelda. Really, I think the character gets way too much flak and is essentially made the scapegoat for Star Fox's fall from glory after Star Fox 64.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Krystal is funny because she is not an inherently BAD character choice. The biggest argument against her is that she is in a stagnant series that is already over represented... but she has the ability to be a fairly unique SF character because of her staff.

I don't think too many people dislike her as much as they dislike her fan base, which makes sense because most of them are over zealous furries. Anti-fandom is a huge thing on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom