• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Seriously have people ever even played a damn Smash game. First people question if the free fall animation Fox showed in the boxing ring area on Mario is a new move, while it's been his standard free fall animation ever since Melee, and now people forget about Mario's growing taunt? The very same one he had since Smash 64?

:rolleyes:

Well, whatever. Since Chrono also said we should be more vocal about 'low priority' characters I'll be shouting out: Dixie Kong, Impa, Toad and Ike for Sm4sh!!!
Don't worry Diddy, the Triforce of wisdom promises that Impa will
probably not make it in.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Red Shell didn't make it into Brawl. And it was one of the most unique Smash Bros. items ever made.

...So I'm not going to count my Cuccos before they kill Link.
Red shells were clearly removed for gameplay issues.
Mushrooms are too iconic, trust me: they're in.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Red shells were clearly removed for gameplay issues.
Mushrooms are too iconic, trust me: they're in.
Gameplay issues? Eh, hard to believe. Not when there's tons of explosives, rolling carts, Assist Trophies...

Nope, won't. And no, they weren't iconic, as they weren't even in the first game.

There's no proof and while they could be in, they're as guaranteed as the Red Shell was. In other words, not at all.

Of course, every item from each game should be in no questions asked.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Pfft, it's Mario's taunt. Also more randomness that is geniusly done.

On the other hand, what Oasis said. Lloid is a good guy, eh, gives me tools to get rich in Tortimer Island, and is not afraid being a living donation box.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I don't think any other character can do that, though.

I'm doubting that too. Nobody else has that same kind of prestige like Sonic did. MegaMan would've, but he's already in. Pac-Man doesn't even come close to that kind of popularity. He's iconic, yes. Popular, not on the same level.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo could do it now I suppose. 'We're thinking about it' strongly implies he's on the draw table now. Which is kind of ironical. I hope Sonic is low on the priority list so this time Mewtwo actually gets in before Sonic.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sakurai really had no other way to address whether Mewtwo was in the game. Though I suppose he could have just answered with "you are just going to have to wait and see *laughs".

Really, I think Mewtwo is probably the most likely Pokemon character for Smash 4 now that Pikachu is confirmed. Jigglypuff is almost a lock for Smash 4 as well. The only two Smash Pokemon veterans in which their return is doubtful are Pokemon Trainer (with Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard) and Lucario. Pichu most likely won't return unless DLC is involved.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Mewtwo could do it now I suppose. 'We're thinking about it' strongly implies he's on the draw table now. Which is kind of ironical. I hope Sonic is low on the priority list so this time Mewtwo actually gets in before Sonic.
Mewtwo isn't someone you'd want to add at the last minute.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm doubting that too. Nobody else has that same kind of prestige like Sonic did. MegaMan would've, but he's already in. Pac-Man doesn't even come close to that kind of popularity. He's iconic, yes. Popular, not on the same level.
After Smash 4 we could very well be exhausted of Nintendo characters that a lot of people care about. Already two of the Top 5 most wanted characters for Smash 4 were characters already playable in Smash Bros. I will probably get into this later (or whenever I have more time), but the fact that three of the newcomers shown for Smash 4 (as well the other three rumored ones) all come from newcomer series, while most of the fanbase did not really care for newcomer series outside of Little Mac, Isaac, Shulk, Mega Man, and maybe Pac-Man, shows that Sakurai may think the best way to keep Smash Bros. "fresh" in terms of newcomers is to explore new worlds as opposed to series that already have a character or more in Smash Bros.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Speaking of DLC, the only characters I see that would never be anything but DLC only would probably be Pichu and Dr. Mario. And any of the old Team members as bonus clones.(Polygons, etc.) I won't lie, I'd love to be able to play as any of them, and a Primid. Primids themselves were much like the Alloys, fairly close to being almost real fighters. Actually, I would love to be able to use a Primid as my customizable character. Of all the enemies in Brawl, I thought they were neat, as they represented various Items/Regular Fighters like Metal, Giant, Fire Flower, etc.

@ChronoBound: Yeah, I get what you mean. I mean, there's still a lot of characters to go, but the big guns are getting far lower. Although to be fair, enough people want to see Final Fantasy as is. Or a Square Enix character in general, so who knows? Could be Slime. Black Mage. Etc.

D

Deleted member

Sakurai really had no other way to address whether Mewtwo was in the game. Though I suppose he could have just answered with "you are just going to have to wait and see *laughs".

Really, I think Mewtwo is probably the most likely Pokemon character for Smash 4 now that Pikachu is confirmed. Jigglypuff is almost a lock for Smash 4 as well. The only two Smash Pokemon veterans in which their return is doubtful are Pokemon Trainer (with Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard) and Lucario. Pichu most likely won't return unless DLC is involved.
At this rate, I really see no point in doubting Mewtwo's return. He's pretty much got all the card laid for his inclusion. If Mega Man can get in with popularity being a major factor despite being less requested than Mewtwo and third-party status; then it's safe to say that Mewtwo will return.

As for potential cuts to the Pokémon roster, I'd be more worried about what will happen with Pokémon Trainer than Lucario. I'm almost sure that the Pokémon Company will want to see Lucario back due to him receiving heavy priority and the issue with the characters is not roster size and the only way Lucario gets cut is if time constraints forces it. Pokémon Trainer runs into more issues because of the transformation character aspect which has been giving Sakurai a lot of trouble. I expect to see the Pokémon Trainer's Pokémon modified in order to work around the problem, though my main issue is what exactly that workaround is.
After Smash 4 we could very well be exhausted of Nintendo characters that a lot of people care about. Already two of the Top 5 most wanted characters for Smash 4 were characters already playable in Smash Bros. I will probably get into this later (or whenever I have more time), but the fact that three of the newcomers shown for Smash 4 (as well the other three rumored ones) all come from newcomer series, while most of the fanbase did not really care for newcomer series outside of Little Mac, Isaac, Shulk, Mega Man, and maybe Pac-Man, shows that Sakurai may think the best way to keep Smash Bros. "fresh" in terms of newcomers is to explore new worlds as opposed to series that already have a character or more in Smash Bros.
At this rate, there's very few great choices left for existing series additions. The only ones I can think of at this moment are King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ridley, Mewtwo, Roy and Palutena. After those, things start to get dicey in regards existing series choices.

Whereas with newcomer series there are plenty of choices that would make great additions. We already got Mega Man, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer that work out well. Little Mac and Mii are also great additions. Other choices that would work out really well are Takamaru, Mach Rider, Isaac, Shulk, Saki and Starfy. That's nearly twice what existing series have to offer.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I still wonder are the other series anyway "worthy" of representation in Smash Bros currently? To Sakurai, and would it truly benefit for the audience of the game being geared at (because I wonder how it'd be when most newcomers are characters most people don't know about).

D

Deleted member

I still wonder are the other series anyway "worthy" of representation in Smash Bros anyway? To Sakurai, and would it truly benefit for the audience of the game being geared at (because I wonder how it'd be when most newcomers are characters most people don't know about).
To be fair, Mega Man, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are all very well known and iconic. Little Mac, Mii and Pac-Man are also well-known and iconic characters (Little Mac to a lesser extent, but still). So those are already six well known characters. Mewtwo, Roy, Ridley, King K. Rool and Dixie Kong are also all well-known characters. Add those five and that gives us eleven characters that are well-known.

Chances are that the audience will know most of these characters; even if we do end up with a larger percentage of relatively obscure characters.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
To be fair, Mega Man, Villager and Wii Fit Trainer are all very well known and iconic. Little Mac, Mii and Pac-Man are also well-known and iconic characters (Little Mac to a lesser extent, but still). So those are already six well known characters. Mewtwo, Roy, Ridley, King K. Rool and Dixie Kong are also all well-known characters. Add those five and that gives us eleven characters that are well-known.

Chances are that the audience will know most of these characters; even if we do end up with a larger percentage of relatively obscure characters.

I didn't mean to say that those three were "obscure", I meant the other series still which have been in Smash in other forms (Golden Sun, Panel De Pon, etc).

But I guess yeah. A lot way still adding to existing franchises, but this could be the most favourable way to go. (And you forgot Toad and Palutena).

I could see Takamaru thrown in a good measure with Shulk.

D

Deleted member

I forgot about Toad. Definitely would be on the list of well-known potential newcomers, though I am doubting a Mario newcomer in general. Palutena, however, is still relatively obscure in comparison to most of these characters I mentioned. Kid Icarus: Uprising sold well, but it wasn't a massive success.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Are you implying that cartoons can't be taken seriously?.
Well the fact I am on a message board talking about a cartoony game (Smash Brothers) should say the opposite...

To change our current topics, I have a question. When should you consider yourself to be too old to play Smash Brothers?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Suckers. I have a Nintendo 64 with a cartridge of Donkey Kong 64. :chuckle:

I did have to wait a few weeks for my Expansion Pak to come in, though.
I inherited an N64 from my fiancee and bought the game off Ebay. (I already had the expansion pak). I have a friend that loves Goldeneye and we have that as well. Always comes over wanting to play. (Goldeneye is his favorite all-time game).

volbound1700

Smash Master
When you're dead?
I am getting married, about to be 30, and I work non-stop so have very little time gaming but I love "Smash tha Brothers" as I call it to my fiance. I have friends around my age that play as well. However, I am hesitent to get a Wii U or the new Smash because of my age and the lack of time to game. Ironically I have time to post on here while at work, in fact I rarely get on this board when I am off work.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I wonder the same thing, Volbound, but then I'm like "Do I really care about my age when Nintendo's involved?"

I quickly decide with one word:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I forgot about Toad. Definitely would be on the list of well-known potential newcomers, though I am doubting a Mario newcomer in general. Palutena, however, is still relatively obscure in comparison to most of these characters I mentioned. Kid Icarus: Uprising sold well, but it wasn't a massive success.
Palutena is relatively obscure when compared to Toad using the general population as a metric, but among Nintendo fans she has a good deal of popularity.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
So apparently there was a Nintendo Direct today in Japan. As far as I know, all they showed was more of Pikmin 3

P.S The pic of the day sucks bullocks.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So apparently there was a Nintendo Direct today in Japan. As far as I know, all they showed was more of Pikmin 3

P.S The pic of the day sucks bullocks.

Stop dissing Lloid.

You guys don't appreciate this guy enough. He's the sole reason we have community projects becoming true in New Leaf.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Sorry guys, the unfortunate fact is that Loid is a Nintendog's urinal. :awesome:
Kinda reminds me of Cactuar

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

Remember how a lot of us, me included, were talking about characters having cinematic value prior to E3, and speculating that they'd be shown off in the trailer as a result? By giving every newcomer a trailer, Sakurai is giving all of them at least some amount of this value, thus hyping them all and, simultaneously, the game itself. A very smart move on his end.

Also, a shameless shoutout to me for posting on page 666. :awesome:

D

Deleted member

Remember how a lot of us, me included, were talking about characters having cinematic value prior to E3, and speculating that they'd be shown off in the trailer as a result? By giving every newcomer a trailer, Sakurai is giving all of them at least some amount of this value, thus hyping them all and, simultaneously, the game itself. A very smart move on his end.

Also, a shameless shoutout to me for posting on page 666. :awesome:
I remember that and remember being confident that Takamaru and Little Mac showed up at E3. I'm still surprised that the only character I guessed right was a third-party.

At least this means every character has a chance of have a trailer to itself.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
In a sense, this change of pacing from the normal is a positive thing. We won't get exposed to spoilers, the pacing is going to be improved, and we'll still have that sense of appeal. That sense of better pacing could lead to a more enjoyable time pondering about the future.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Unrelated, but I tried my new Pro Controller recently, and it feels perfect. The only problem I have is that the left Control Stick is REALLY sensitive.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Unrelated, but I tried my new Pro Controller recently, and it feels perfect. The only problem I have is that the left Control Stick is REALLY sensitive.
You tried your pro controller on what? The only game i have tried it on was AC3. It feels alright though the triggers feel a bit far for comfort.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The only ones I can think of at this moment are King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ridley, Mewtwo, Roy and Palutena. After those, things start to get dicey in regards existing series choices..
Aside from Palutena (and excluding Mario universe characters), those are also the only well known characters left from veteran franchises that were not playable in Brawl. I would say Toad is a Nintendo All-Star at this point, but he is still a very iffy character in regards to actually getting in Smash 4.

Palutena may not be an overall well known character, but she is definitely a necessary addition in regards to Kid Icarus, especially after Uprising.

Aside from those (Toad, K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Ridley, Mewtwo, Roy, and Palutena) there is no one else from veteran franchises that I really think really needs to be added in. I think if Sakurai went in the direction of looking more towards newcomer series that overall it was a wise choice considering the newcomer pool in relation to veteran franchises.

Its a shame there was no new Custom Robo released since 2006, else I am sure Sakurai would have finally given the series a playable character this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom