• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I think the 3DS version was meant to be able to allow you to customise your character in terms of directionality of moves. I could be wrong but I envision this as like, Mario's cape reflecting things that come from behind him or other examples of hitbox placement and its movement.

That's what i'm hoping for because that to me seems to allow for balancing if needed. Could be totally off point, though.

That's my short answer heh. Too cold right now to type too much more. :p

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just as a quick question before I head off, I wonder how having two versions will effect the competitive scene?

Will there be two backrooms? Will you have to be good enough at both versions to get in should there only be one? How will rulesets work?

D

Deleted member

Just as a quick question before I head off, I wonder how having two versions will effect the competitive scene?

Will there be two backrooms? Will you have to be good enough at both versions to get in should there only be one? How will rulesets work?
Sakurai did refer to both games as a fourth and fifth version so I'd imagined that the scene would be different competitively.

Edit: Found something very interesting in regards to Sonic and Smash: http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=206106

NWR: One more question here. Sonic was very popular in Smash Bros. for Wii. Is there any possibility of him making a return appearance in the next Smash Bros.?

TI: All we can say is that we also think it would be awesome if he was in the next Smash Bros. So yea, but that's more of a question for Nintendo than us.
I doubt he's allowed to reveal anything in regards to the matter, so I don't think it means all that much, but take this as you will.

Going to bed... good night.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Sakurai did refer to both games as a fourth and fifth version so I'd imagined that the scene would be different competitively.

In addition, I expect both versions will be not quite the same in terms of balance, and since the stages will be mostly different, they'll have a totally different meta game regardless.

I'm going with two seperate backrooms.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I would imagine the balance between the two would be near identical. I think that kind of data would definitely be an asset that could be shared between the two during development, which would lessen the workload greatly. I had been thinking, pre-reveal, the 3DS version might have to have a different style completely, meaning different models and animations, meaning a different balance. But the visual style they've gone for allows all the same models (they're the same designs at least, though much less detailed) and animations, so I think shared balance could happen.

EDIT: It is possible the screen size or controls could contribute to differing balance, I suppose. Perhaps throws couldn't be as powerful, or running couldn't be as fast, since you wouldn't want things to go off screen too quickly. Maybe you don't jump as high. I guess the controls would be a weaker argument, considering Brawl's 4 ways of play.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I guess the controls would be a weaker argument, considering Brawl's 4 ways of play.

This is a terrible argument. I meant Brawl wasn't even the first game you could do that. You could play Smash 64 with the N64, GC, or Classic controller!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
This is a terrible argument. I meant Brawl wasn't even the first game you could do that. You could play Smash 64 with the N64, GC, or Classic controller!

So is this. Smash 64 couldn't be played with the Classic Controller(and the GC only through Emulation at best) till after Brawl. Brawl came out before the VC version.

What made it(Oasis_S') a terrible argument is that the controls were actually good and worked for everyone. The various controls were great. There was never anything wrong with 'em. Everybody had something that worked.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
I guess I should've seen that coming. Doesn't mean I wouldn't try to inflict some damage, though.

I saw that comparison pic of the Zelda stage to PM's version of it. Prettycool.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Woah, I just realised something going through the pics!

Mario's Uair looks buffed in terms of hitbox placement. Does the slash through the air infer where the attack has been? Or if not, does it have it's own hitbox? Mario's Uair just seems... I dunno, bigger in some way:

Also notice Mario's leg looks gigantic here too...

EDIT: And why does Mario look like he has a rash on his neck? :/

And that's another thing! Pause in smash 4 seems to allow you to zoom in more than in Brawl!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai specifically made outlines of attacks and had their models increase limb size temporarily. It's similar to how the first Smash did.

I think that's lighting for the Mario picture.

An updated Pause? Sweet.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

Mario's Uair looks buffed in terms of hitbox placement. Does the slash through the air infer where the attack has been? Or if not, does it have it's own hitbox? Mario's Uair just seems... I dunno, bigger in some way:

And that's another thing! Pause in smash 4 seems to allow you to zoom in more than in Brawl!
LOL rash

I doubt this confirms an increased zoom in and out threshold. The game has ways to go and this could just be a build where such limitations/ features have been established.
I bet money that Sakurai could zoom into Mario until the camera starts clipping into the geometry.
It's too early to determine anything about features like that.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Sakurai said that he gets a lot Character Suggestions from all over the world.
How do you think Character Suggestions and Game Ideas reach him?

Weird rashes confirmed !

HylianHero

Smash Cadet
Hey, I was just on smashbros.com to check the new picture posted up top on my iPod and I noticed something. I don't know if it's like this on a computer, but I clicked on a character page, and at the bottom you can scroll sideways through pictures of the other characters. After Pit, who has been the last one, there were three blank pictures after him where characters should be, when he's been the last until today. Do you think that means we'll get like a yoshi page soon or something?? It's not really a big deal but I noticed it and thought I'd ask if anyone else saw it

On second thought, maybe it's been like that and I just noticed, but it's definitely there.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Hey, I was just on smashbros.com to check the new picture posted up top on my iPod and I noticed something. I don't know if it's like this on a computer, but I clicked on a character page, and at the bottom you can scroll sideways through pictures of the other characters. After Pit, who has been the last one, there were three blank pictures after him where characters should be, when he's been the last until today. Do you think that means we'll get like a yoshi page soon or something?? It's not really a big deal but I noticed it and thought I'd ask if anyone else saw it

On second thought, maybe it's been like that and I just noticed, but it's definitely there.

I'm pretty sure it's always been like that, I think it just may be because you're using an iPod. I'm hoping for some type of news though!

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004

It's pretty much looking like those blank spaces mean absolutely nothing as the number of blank spaces are different depending what you're using to browse that site. You're iPod shows 3 spaces while my desktop computer shows 6. So yeah, it doesn't mean anything when it comes to possible characters.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I was being serious, he get's the ideas on what people would like from the internet. The internet is a very practical medium for expressing your feelings and ideals.
So he's Casual Surfin' and gets inspired? Neat.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So what, wanting to know what the fans would want has nothing to do with actually knowing what the fans would want?

I guess the stuff we got were mere coincidence.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I'm immune to your snark, Pepper-face. I'll give you an 'A' for effort, but goose eggs for your momentary lapse in reading comprehension (e.g. Zigma's post/original question). I answered he/she adequately enough.

:troll:

Smooth Criminal

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I like how the Tekken ring has a King of Iron Fist marquee in the BG while the SMash veriosn has a Smash Bros one.

Even Namco's influence on the game can be seen in the aesthetics.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It's pretty much looking like those blank spaces mean absolutely nothing as the number of blank spaces are different depending what you're using to browse that site. You're iPod shows 3 spaces while my desktop computer shows 6. So yeah, it doesn't mean anything when it comes to possible characters.

He's right. They're just placeholders as is, and while we know there will be more characters anyway, there's no guarantee they'll show an exact number of a multiple of 3.(like 27 or 39 overall characters) Also, it may not even reveal things like Zero Suit Samus with her own page this time like the rest.

I'm guessing we'll get Yoshi soon enough. I do wonder if Ness or Captain Falcon will be starters again, though. Jigglypuff I wouldn't mind either. Luigi always made sense as an unlockable though. He's kind of the last of current main Mario characters.(I'm using their symbol to refer to as Mario characters, not characters in the overall series, to clarify) And sometimes doesn't show up like the other 3. Or has no role in the overall story.(first two Paper Marios, same with Sticker Star)

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Every time I see a picture of SSB4 Link I get more and more pissed.
The edges of his chainmail look like low resolution frayed linen cloth, it sucks, and every SINGLE time there's skirt clipping, it looks absolutely horrible.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Personally speaking, Marth, Captain Falcon, and Ness should be default characters this time around. Which reminds me of how odd how Marth and Ness were unlockable while the alternative reps Ike and Lucas were default characters.

The edges of his chainmail look like low resolution frayed linen cloth, it sucks, and every SINGLE time there's skirt clipping, it looks absolutely horrible.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The game is still in development and will only be released on the next year.

...Do the math?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom