• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I think Diddy might have been referring to the difficulty in successfully pulling off their recovery abilities. Or I'm just putting words into his mouth.
Of course, I was referencing the fact that many bad people spam Lucas's up-smash, and they also certainly can't recover well, there are many noobs who play Lucas, not much of a nightmare for them apparently.
Until I grab release infinite Hancock them. Muahahaha.
That and I get my sweet sweet upthrow revenge on them.
A tactic I also frequently employ in Sudden Death, Hancock is the only throw that kills with Marth, and he has glorious grab range.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
"Wrong Reasons?" Could you explain what you mean by this a bit more? From my gaming experiences there is no right way to like or to dislike a game.
I'm talking about how the game plays, the meat and potatoes of the game. It's like saying a game sucks because of its graphics, but its gameplay is top of the line. Showtime addresses this in on way.

Any single player experience can only last for so long. Something competitive like with good balance can come a long way..........
Replay value goes a long way when there is solid gameplay with great balance. Sadly enough, a lot of players are more concerned about the bells and whistles.

Now don't get me wrong, those bells and whistles can prove to be very useful when it comes to getting people to play the game. Compare Virtua Fighter to Tekken. Tekken is a very deep game, but Virtua Fighter is considered deeper, primarily due to its southpaw system. Meanwhile, Tekken looks and feels better due to its weighty sounds effects and graphics. Meanwhile, Virtua Fighter has a bit of sterile look, dated sound effects, and characters having very little of a personality.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Dang, after reading the past several pages I realize I'm very late to the whole Pokémon/cuts discussion. Sorry. Found this humorous from WB's article:
He browses Smashboards!

That's great news for some of the most popular characters. *Goes back to the conspiracy theory that those 27k random views on the K. Rool thread came from Sakurai.*

Hehehehe...

Anyway...

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's great and all, and while I certainly enjoy it, at the end of the day a strong multiplayer experience is what makes or breaks a game like Super Smash Bros, not the richness of their story mode.
Exactly. I'm just saying that the consumer tastes don't quite line up for what really makes a good fighting game.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, I would not be surprised if staff members from the localization team or something were looking at English boards and looking up varies suggestions thrown around. Something like that at least, when it comes to Super Smash Bros. viewing the thoughts at every corner would be a smart move to get a broad idea as to what people would want.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Exactly. I'm just saying that the consumer tastes don't quite line up for what really makes a good fighting game.

No one really plays a fighter game for the story. I was actually surprised that SSE's story came out so well. Also since the SSE was the easiest way to obtain all characters, it was hard not to.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I wouldn't wanna browse Smashboards as Sakurai. Too much pressure for him. And quite some critisising for his decisions.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Well, I would not be surprised if staff members from the localization team or something were looking at English boards and looking up varies suggestions thrown around. Something like that at least, when it comes to Super Smash Bros. viewing the thoughts at every corner would be a smart move to get a broad idea as to what people would want.
Indeed, I do not wish it necessary to spend lucrative amounts of money at 10 and a half cents per word to convert to Japanese, then somehow get publicity or send it to Nintendo or Sakurai's address. . .
My essay that is, and I'd most likely write another two for context and a bunch of other reasons why Anna is the best.
Or Intelligent Systems, they'd probably be the best to try and contact.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I wonder how long it'll be before someone misinterprets what Sakurai says.

Wait, that isn't happening every 5 seconds on Miiverse? :laugh:

I wouldn't wanna browse Smashboards as Sakurai. Too much pressure for him. And quite some critisising for his decisions.

Well, some criticism is good for his work. I think he can take it, although the community is pretty rabid at times.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I suppose that what Sakurai is getting at in his latest article. Fighting games have become almost impregnable for new players. That's a whole different discussion though although I agree with most of your premise.

Oh you better believe there are members of NoA who pick through this board. How else is Sakurai supposed to figure out what Western Super Smash Bros fans are looking for?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
**** now I'm actually wondering if I should take my Gaston support image off my signature so that NOA doesn't think I'm a moron. . .

. . . I kinda wish that thread didn't get locked :awesome:

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Oh you better believe there are members of NoA who pick through this board. How else is Sakurai supposed to figure out what Western Super Smash Bros fans are looking for?
Well to be blunt, suggestions are pretty universal overall, barring some rare oddballs like Ridley. Even if there was a Japanese bias in play, there wouldn't be much differences over opinions overall.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Since the topic of Mewtwo came up, I had an idea. I know I jokingly refer to Mewtwo's new form as "Mewbuu" because it reminds me a lot of Kid Buu, but what if Sakurai does in fact take a page from DBZ and makes him an equally powerful but more wild fighter? Granted, we have no idea what Mewtwo is like in his new form -- the Mewtwo anime special will probably explain that soon -- but it might be a way to change Mewtwo around to make him a little more viable? Just throwing ideas out there.
Well to be blunt, suggestions are pretty universal overall, barring some rare oddballs like Ridley. Even if there was a Japanese bias in play, there wouldn't be much differences over opinions overall.
There are departments within Nintendo that exist for the sole purpose of reading and evaluating feedback across the net. This isn't exclusive to just Super Smash Bros. Usually it is just low level interns going around hitting the websites with the largest population of users.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
And that's why Sakurai really doesn't need to come to places like Smashboards. A lot of the most popular characters on here are the most popular characters everywhere. Like you said, there's some off the wall ones that are exclusive to certain areas but the variety really doesn't change all the much from country to country.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
So.

I put my browser to maximum zoom, and I still can't tell exactly what the 'unmod' badge is.
Oh, this is actually pretty interesting and fun. I think I'll do 500% zoom more often.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I hope Reggie-senpai will notice me. . .

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I hope Reggie-senpai notices me. . .
Yeah... Like I said, low level interns or employees on their personal time. Expecting Miyamoto to be browsing this thread is a little off to say the least. And we should all be thankful he and other executives do not.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Yeah... Like I said, low level interns or employees on their personal time. Expecting Miyamoto to be browsing this thread is a little off to say the least. And we should all be thankful he and other executives do not.
'Twas a jest.

I do hope, though, that somehow, Anna's popularity increases massively, she's merited it in my opinion.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
A "things Smashboards would like to see" thread, in case Sakurai or Namco by chance even decide to step inside, would be cool.

I mean, considering he's apparently browsed it. Shoryuken's had plenty of devs reading through threads over there.

And...possibly make it "heat-free".

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm talking about how the game plays, the meat and potatoes of the game. It's like saying a game sucks because of its graphics, but its gameplay is top of the line. Showtime addresses this in on way.
Sorry but I still don't quite understand. Your game vs. graphics comparison mixes me up heavily for as a Mega Man fan I deal with this a lot, 8 vs. 16 vs. 32bit vs. 3D. The gameplay is still top notch but the graphics do heavily effect how tight and responsive the game ends up being yet there are still people who do like 2/7/8/Powered Up/Network Transimission/X8, heck I once saw someone who enjoyed X7.

You yourself have already said that neither game is perfect. There are people who have played both and do like Brawl's gameplay better than Melee, and I don't think we can say they're in the wrong just because they have a different opinion; especially when the subject matter is entirely subjective and that both games are prime examples of games that are meant to be able to play however you want (Ex. Fox only, Final Destination, no Items). Same with applies to the various other modes in each game as well*. That's not to say I don't personally agree with the points/criticisms you and others have previously made though.

*Just to give some examples of positives that could make some people like the other version better/superior/higher quality:
Adventure Mode: Highly nostalgic, has a lot of charm, larger variety of stages and objectives, much shorter,
SSE: Only have to play through once, has multiplayer, much longer, larger stages with much to explore, larger variety of bosses & enemies,

Sorry if it took me a sec to respond, I'm not good at brain storming/writing while starring at a computer screen.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Round 3 of Miiverse shenanigans.

At the end. I actually feel sort of bad. -_-

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Haha, if I could force Reggie to view my stuff. . . I wouldn't, because forcing people to do stuff is not very nice, and often leads to bad outlooks.
I veil no schemes, sir, as I say, I have an agenda, and it should be obvious by now.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The main thing I'm dreading about the SSB4 release is having to buy a WiiU... I hear it's not doing too well.

Yeah, but that's why things like SSB4 exist, to help with that! If anything, isn't that more reason to buy one? :cool:

BentoBox

Smash Master
Yeah, but that's why things like SSB4 exist, to help with that! If anything, isn't that more reason to buy one? :cool:

I don't want it to be the only reason to buy one. Spending 400$ for one game when there will be two much more appealing offers from Sony and MS by the time SSB4 comes out... is just not something I want to think about right now lol.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The main thing I'm dreading about the SSB4 release is having to buy a WiiU... I hear it's not doing too well.

Hey, its got NSMBU and Nintendo Land! ... :urg:

Well, in the upcoming months a wave of games are coming our way, beginning with Pikmin 3 in August I think. Worrying about getting the Wii U is a non issue, particularly if you get it when Smash comes out, by then there will be plenty of options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom