• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I've been thinking as well for what to do with Ice Climbers and Olimar. I've already suggested that the Ice Climbers work where Nana works more like how Eddie and his demon, where Nana is only desynced in a specific situation and does not have an AI that works on its own.

Olimar is one I can't quite figure out, and I felt he needed significant work to remove the random elements of plucking.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Sector Z was the best because it was huge and from a good mission. It must be remade, or make the stage with the Great Fox a ton larger.

Brinstar Depths was fun because it was so bad. I want another rotating stage.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I couldn't believe you guys were even on the whole Donkey Kong/Cranky Kong subject a while ago. Keep in mind that a gorilla's lifespan is much shorter than that of a human being.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Well it's not like Kirby could have done much with the Pikmin if all he could do was pluck them since that's basically Olimar's neutral special move. So Kirby's neutral special was basically a mix of Olimar's Neutral and side special move.
Here is what I got so far Olimar's possible moveset:

If his recovery move was to replaced with something else. I think him being picked up by 2 Flying Pikmin by his shoulders would be cool. It would function similarly to how R.O.B's recovery does in Brawl.

I think his forward special could be a Pikmin Chain Whip like his recovery initially was in Brawl, but it would be used like Shiek's forward special. So it would double as a tether recovery as well.

His Neutral special could be him dousing his Pikmin with the Spicy Spray to power up his Pikmin for a short amount of time It would be like Hakan from Street Fighter how he constantly has to oil/lube up to be dangerous on the field:
It wouldn't be constant spraying of course. He would have a cool down timer and his little light antenna would begin to blink when the spray is ready for use again. That way Kirby's Special would be using the spray to temporarily boost up (not as much as Olimar can of course)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That sounds pretty interesting, I can definitely see them utilizing the Flying Pikmin like that and it would be an improvement to how they worked in Brawl. :)

The spray idea also sounds pretty interesting.

Also yay 600th page in this thread.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's an intelligent way to do it, but probably not the best way in terms of his unique playstyle. People wouldn't like it as much I'd guess, and what WOULD you replace those moves with?

Sup dude? You a baby daddy as well? :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes I am!

The Ayla's Hero thing is because I always want to be her hero :3

I never thought about what would happen if I wanted to have another kid, so I have a crisis with that now XD

Awesome! Am soon becoming one to ;) Your daughter looks cute btw.

Yeah I know all about crisises I'm affraid. Truth to be told, my upcoming baby is already quite of a hassle, as the mother and me both don't really have the greatest of incomes... But we'll get by. We have 5 more months to go.

Great to see a fellow young daddy still enjoying Smash though :laugh:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yes I am!

I never thought about what would happen if I wanted to have another kid, so I have a crisis with that now XD

Aww that sounds so sweet. You take good care of her right. :)

Not sure when I would be ready for children.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Yes I am!

That is soo *sniff* beauti--
I mean AHEM! Damn it! Who put these onions here! :awesome:
That sounds pretty interesting, I can definitely see them utilizing the Flying Pikmin like that and it would be an improvement to how they worked in Brawl. :)

The spray idea also sounds pretty interesting.

Also yay 600th page in this thread.
*Runs off to the Olimar thread with a head full of ideas*

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I do my best to take care of her yes, she's the light of my life. the site I ran was even named after her.

She'll win Apex at age 5, and I'm trying to arrange a marriage with her to Mango's son. :p

What a good dad I am! ;)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I hope Sakurai manages to find a way to make things on the 3DS version work...

I wouldn't want to have Olimar to be drastically changed because of hardware limitations, since he's one of my best characters in Brawl. :ohwell:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I do my best to take care of her yes, she's the light of my life. the site I ran was even named after her.

She'll win Apex at age 5, and I'm trying to arrange a marriage with her to Mango's son. :p

What a good dad I am! ;)

I never knew Mango had a son as well? Am glad you are a responsible dad though! I haven't been the best soon-to-be father yet, as my lady and I had some arguments in the past, but am changing now ;) It's great to see someone as young as you being able to fend for your little daughter at your age. Really inspiring. Am soon becoming 23 myself. Time to take things much more serious from now on. Will definitely post a pic when he / she is born ^^ (my baby will be a mixed race child btw :) )

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Super Smash Bros. director Masahiro Sakurai was recently asked if all characters who have previously appeared in the series will be back for the Wii U and 3DS games. The short answer is no.

Sakurai explained that the team simply doesn’t have enough time “to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point.”

He said:

“I can answer that: no. We don’t have the time to fully recreate every single character who’s been in Smash Bros at this point. Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication. The amount of work, adding a character is multiplied and becomes bigger and bigger as you go. We can’t because of the amount of work it takes. However, I do believe I understand that each character has its own set of fans out there who really like that character. So we’re not going to cut characters out of the way, we’re going to put in as many characters as we can, we really want to do that, because it’s good for the fans and good for all of us. But in the event that we do have to cut some characters, I’d like to apologise in advance to those fans.”
http://nintendoeverything.com/12606...ime-to-bring-back-every-smash-bros-character/

Three thoughts:

1) I assume when he say's "every single character" he is including Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link, Mewtwo and Roy.

2) Nice to see him publicy recognizing people's attachment to their characters and not wanting to cut as many as possible.

3) Last statement pretty much tells me they haven't had to cut anyone yet. Obviously.

And now for Pokémon:
Choosing Pokemon characters for Smash Bros. games can’t be an easy task at this point. Well over 600 characters exist at this point, and only a small selection can be included on the Smash Bros. roster.

Director Masahiro Sakurai explained to NowGamer that the team looks at a few things, such as popular Pokemon, Pokemon featured in the movies, and what makes them unique.

He said:

“Well first of all, we talk with the Pokemon company. What’s the hot Pokemon? What Pokemon are in the movies right now? And really do a lot of research on that front. For example, X and Y are coming out – of course, we haven’t done any market research because they’re not out yet, but we look at the animated series or movies and anything like that and again, find out which ones are going to be central to any of conversations in Pokemon going forward. But it’s not just that – going back to just what we talked about, what’s unique about them? Where do they fit in with the rest of everything else? What do they have? It’s a combination of those things.”
http://nintendoeverything.com/126067/how-pokemon-characters-are-chosen-for-smash-bros/

Well, this pretty much confirms that Pokémon characters are revolving doors for the fresh face of the month. However, I think this pretty much guarantees Mewtwo at this point. The caveat being it most likely might be Mewbuu. We'll see.

Forgive me if this is all old news, I've been away on birthday celebration all day.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd prefer regular Mewtwo over Awakening Forme Mewtwo though...

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
My GOD he's not raising a child. He's training a warrior! His grandchildren will be glorious!
By the age of 7 she will have enough tournament winnings to pay off a college of her choice in full.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
I hope Sakurai manages to find a way to make things on the 3DS version work...

I wouldn't want to have Olimar to be drastically changed because of hardware limitations, since he's one of my best characters in Brawl. :ohwell:
Some things have to change-- and we'll all deal with it and get used to it with time. Who knows, you might even prefer the changes over how things were in brawl!

But the fact of the matter here is that there is a hardware limitation set in place and the developers need to find a way to work with it. To be honest though, characters are more than likely going to change regardless of whether or not there is a hardware limitation set in place. It is a new game afterall! No need to be worried. Even if you don't like the changes, it's very easy to find another character that you enjoy.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
My GOD he's not raising a child. He's training a warrior! His grandchildren will be glorious!
By the age of 7 she will have enough tournament winnings to pay off a college of her choice in full.

YES! SHE SHALL BE AMAZING!

I never knew Mango had a son as well? Am glad you are a responsible dad though! I haven't been the best soon-to-be father yet, as my lady and I had some arguments in the past, but am changing now ;) It's great to see someone as young as you being able to fend for your little daughter at your age. Really inspiring. Am soon becoming 23 myself. Time to take things much more serious from now on. Will definitely post a pic when he / she is born ^^ (my baby will be a mixed race child btw :) )

And Mango's son hasn't been born yet. I'm calling dibs extra early. I need an ultimate champion grandchild too ;)

And seriously good on you for trying to work things out, our kids can play together at smash tournaments! :D

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

I should probably take notes from his parenting-skills.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Some things have to change-- and we'll all deal with it and get used to it with time. Who knows, you might even prefer the changes over how things were in brawl!

But the fact of the matter here is that there is a hardware limitation set in place and the developers need to find a way to work with it. To be honest though, characters are more than likely going to change regardless of whether or not there is a hardware limitation set in place. It is a new game afterall! No need to be worried. Even if you don't like the changes, it's very easy to find another character that you enjoy.
Sadly it's a lose-lose situation for Sakurai. If characters don't change than people will complain about the lack of innovation. If characters do change than people feel alienated and upset because it wasn't what they wanted. I say go for the former and do more Bowser type redesigns where possible. Anything to make the old cast feel new is alright in my book

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Well, that's one way to see it.

Now, I think if there's the possibility of characters varying between versions, but I think Sakurai had denied that possibility already, seeing as he said the games' characters, items and such would be "nearly identical."
That means, character changes necessary for the 3DS version will likely carry over to the Wii U version.

There's also the (very remote) possibility that Sakurai manages to work around the limitation without having to resort to drastic changes... but, I wouldn't count on it.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I should probably take notes from his parenting-skills.

I can give you tips if you need, first one being DO CLOTH DIAPERS> They are tons easier then people say, kids will learn potty training faster (scientifically proven) and the money you'll save on disposable diapers would be enough to buy you a brand new car, dead serious.

Also, try to have an arranged marriage with a top smash player's child :p

It is crazy to think how many people here will be getting to the age where they have kids... We'll have to have Junior's Smash tournaments at big events... I would actually think that would be SO cool to be on stream!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I can give you tips if you need, first one being DO CLOTH DIAPERS> They are tons easier then people say, kids will learn potty training faster (scientifically proven) and the money you'll save on disposable diapers would be enough to buy you a brand new car, dead serious.

Also, try to have an arranged marriage with a top smash player's child :p

It is crazy to think how many people here will be getting to the age where they have kids... We'll have to have Junior's Smash tournaments at big events... I would actually think that would be SO cool to be on stream!

That's a seriously great tip, and I think I'll take it! If you have about 5 cloth diapers, I think it'll be enough right? I mean, carry around some extra plastic bag for it when it gets dirty (where would you leave these though when your outside..?) and that should be enough before he / she grows out of it right?

I've seen some crazy stuff by younger players though. Recently a little bro of like, 15 is beating everyone's ass at Project M including the likes of Mew2King and Mango (I thought?) with his Sonic. Granted, Sonic is likely overpowered and he's exploiting it, but it's still great to see. But younger top players I've yet to see.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
As much as I love characters like Olimar, Zelda and Pokemon Trainer in Brawl, I am interested and open to the changes that are made in Smash 4.
Bowser and Pitty- Pat looks as if they have made changes for the better, so I'm confident Sakurai and his team will do something interesting. (Hopefully Yoshi is buffed too) :yoshi2:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
So I've been having an entertaining time on Miiverse today. Freakin hive of scum and villainy I swear. I think I'll post a couple of posts I've been "conversing" in with some of these people. Kids these days are so whiny I swear. If this violates...something, let me know because I've forgotten, but I just can't resist.

For all cases, I'm Ganondorf. (bluefalcon27) Friend me if you're around!

D

Deleted member

Well, that's one way to see it.

Now, I think if there's the possibility of characters varying between versions, but I think Sakurai had denied that possibility already, seeing as he said the games' characters, items and such would be "nearly identical."
That means, character changes necessary for the 3DS version will likely carry over to the Wii U version.

There's also the (very remote) possibility that Sakurai manages to work around the limitation without having to resort to drastic changes... but, I wouldn't count on it.
Wouldn't characters being "nearly identical" possibly suggest that characters could vary between version? Not saying something like Isaac in the 3DS version or Shulk in the Wii-U version, but modification required to make Olimar work in the 3DS version wouldn't be necessary for the Wii-U version. I think that'd fit close enough to characters and items being "nearly identical".

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
That's a seriously great tip, and I think I'll take it! If you have about 5 cloth diapers, I think it'll be enough right? I mean, carry around some extra plastic bag for it when it gets dirty (where would you leave these though when your outside..?) and that should be enough before he / she grows out of it right?

I've seen some crazy stuff by younger players though. Recently a little bro of like, 15 is beating everyone's *** at Project M including the likes of Mew2King and Mango (I thought?) with his Sonic. Granted, Sonic is likely overpowered and he's exploiting it, but it's still great to see. But younger top players I've yet to see.
Nairo is only like 16.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As much as I love characters like Olimar, Zelda and Pokemon Trainer in Brawl, I am interested and open to the changes that are made in Smash 4.
Bowser and Pitty- Pat looks as if they have made changes for the better, so I'm confident Sakurai and his team will do something interesting. (Hopefully Yoshi is buffed too) :yoshi2:

Yoshi should use more grab range, and more possibilities with his neutral B besides laying Eggs. He should also be able to spit enemies out, like Kirby, or be able to throw the Eggs (carried around like Yoshi carries Crates and Barrels). And he also could use better recovery. An actual Up B, and since B becoming Egg Throw. Down B could be the same in the air, and on stage Egg Roll? I hope his later reveal means some chances to.

Also I'd like to see more content like trailers to chances to other veterans. Like we had with Pit, Samus and Bowser. I hope they post info about Link and DK to mostly.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Wouldn't characters being "nearly identical" possibly suggest that characters could vary between version? Not saying something like Isaac in the 3DS version or Shulk in the Wii-U version, but modification required to make Olimar work in the 3DS version wouldn't be necessary for the Wii-U version. I think that'd fit close enough to characters and items being "nearly identical".
Except that leads them to having to balance two different rosters because of those slight changes.

D

Deleted member

So I've been having an entertaining time on Miiverse today. Freakin hive of scum and villainy I swear. I think I'll post a couple of posts I've been "conversing" in with some of these people. Kids these days are so whiny I swear. If this violates...something, let me know because I've forgotten, but I just can't resist.

Ugh...

To think this will be the type of people I talk to once I get a Wii-U.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

LOL! Aww man if only I could find this one post I saw 2 nights ago. This dude was requesting some MLP character it was something with twinkle-sparkle and naruto and the comments under that were hilarious too. Some people were like the MLP character is likely, but naruto is a long shot. I was like What!? :crazy:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Good points. Olimar could be closer to his Brawl self in the Wii U version, but being adjusted to the 3DS version due to limitations. Same goes for the Ice Climbers and, possibly, the transforming characters as well. The remainder characters likely won't have changes so drastic (if at all).

Regardless, I think Sakurai will manage to find some workarounds. He has a big team working on the game and they still have a lot of time to develop the game. No need to create drama over such things, after all.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
http://www.gamespot.com/features/smashing-the-definition-of-smash-bros-6410475/
"I like to think of Smash Bros. as a game with lots of interesting accidents. For example, you might have a terrain change that signals incoming damage from a hazard. Those sorts of things are fun to anticipate and react to while fighting."

On character customization
"Perhaps the best way to think of it is: it's not the strength of the attacks that change--their power--but the directionality of those attacks will change with customization."

On tripping
"I think we're going in a direction where we're not going to include [tripping] this time around."

On random elements
"When you boil things down to pure competition, it's not always the most engaging experience. For example, think about the 50-meter dash. This is something that really comes down to speed. You see a lot of people progressing in a linear direction, and the person who is fastest in the beginning is quite often going to be the winner. It's predictable--and while it is pure competition, it's not necessarily engaging in the same way as events with unpredictability. As developers, we have to think about all of these circumstances when designing fighting games."

On Melee vs. Brawl
"When I began working on the first Smash Bros., there was a great focus on [highly-technical] fighting games, and that's something we've seen branch off into sort of a niche direction. Now, those types of fighting games have a very high barrier to entry for new players, while Smash was always meant to appeal to lots of people from different gaming communities. When you look at fighting game forums, you'll see a preference for Melee, and yet, I think there are lots of people in the silent majority who don't post online who prefer Brawl. Ever since I started working on the Kirby series, I've always thought about the needs of the less vocal, beginning players of games."

On game speed
"I would say that the speed of gameplay [in the next Smash Bros.] is going to be a little bit less than Melee, but a little bit more than Brawl. One of the best ways to look at the fighting game genre is thinking about this pinnacle--this peak--we've built up to where these games have become more of a hobbyist [genre]. I think that trend might be reaching an end."

On the fighting genre
"I think the idea of the fighting game genre can be somewhat limiting. People have defined in their own minds what constitutes a fighting game, and that can be such a specific set of characteristics that when other people are viewing a game from the outside and they learn it's a fighting game, they may predetermine it's not for them simply because of what they expect from it as a fighting game.

When planning the development of a new game, I always take a lot of care to discuss the concept and try to define it as best I can. For example, I like to think of Smash as a four-player battle royal action game. You'll notice that's a lot longer than saying it's a fighting game, because 'fighting game' is a completely different label. You can talk about a fighting game or an action game or a racing game, but as soon as you define your game specifically in those terms, you start limiting your creative range because you're thinking of the limitations of that genre. Perhaps the best thing we can do now is start with a concept rather than a genre. If we can do that, perhaps we can grow the whole idea a little bit."

D

Deleted member

Except that leads them to having to balance two different rosters because of those slight changes.
In a way, isn't he already kind of doing that? We know the stages are going to be different on the Wii-U and 3DS version and I'd imagine that characters have to be balanced in order to work in those stages, especially since we're not getting cross-play. Plus there's also the possibility of items being different on both versions and characters have to be balanced with items in mind as well.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
If Olimar can not be "reduced" in the Wii U version at the cost of not being in the 3DS version, I'd be very okay with that.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

I've seen some crazy stuff by younger players though. Recently a little bro of like, 15 is beating everyone's *** at Project M including the likes of Mew2King and Mango (I thought?) with his Sonic. Granted, Sonic is likely overpowered and he's exploiting it, but it's still great to see. But younger top players I've yet to see.

I think you are meaning Wizzrobe if I remember right for the Project M guy.

And you can get a simple pack of prefold cloth diapers and covers at wallmart. Dont even need pins to do em anymore, and as long as you do laundry you'll manage easily. For keeping the diapers, wallmart bags would work, but they also make washable wetbags that some wallmarts even have, they keep all the smells out and are waterproof too. So amazing...

Another tiny protip, if you wanna easily carry baby around, get a K'Tan Wrap, they are AMAZING for carrying babies and let you do absolutely whatever you want while working, playing vidya games etc. (Especially the last part.) I'd be able to use that at a tournament and feel safe with the baby knowing they wouldn't fall :3

And I totally wanna do a Juniors Tournament where we get all really young people, like 10 and under for a giant event now. it'd be HYPE!!!! XD

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think you are meaning Wizzrobe if I remember right for the Project M guy.

And you can get a simple pack of prefold cloth diapers and covers at wallmart. Dont even need pins to do em anymore, and as long as you do laundry you'll manage easily. For keeping the diapers, wallmart bags would work, but they also make washable wetbags that some wallmarts even have, they keep all the smells out and are waterproof too. So amazing...

Another tiny protip, if you wanna easily carry baby around, get a K'Tan Wrap, they are AMAZING for carrying babies and let you do absolutely whatever you want while working, playing vidya games etc. (Especially the last part.) I'd be able to use that at a tournament and feel safe with the baby knowing they wouldn't fall :3

And I totally wanna do a Juniors Tournament where we get all really young people, like 10 and under for a giant event now. it'd be HYPE!!!! XD

Thanks for the tips. But I'm from Europe, we don't have Walmarts around :laugh: Though I think a Google image search will inform me enough to what to look for anyway. Should still look for an alternative to hold the dirty diapers however. The baby buggy should have some space for it somewhere I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom