• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I can only MAYBE feel pain because they are thinking of the Mike Tyson part of the story... Maybe....

I brought that up, and his response was "No I'm pretty sure it was Little Mac." :cry:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Thanks for the tips. But I'm from Europe, we don't have Walmarts around :laugh: Though I think a Google image search will inform me enough to what to look for anyway. Should still look for an alternative to hold the dirty diapers however. The baby buggy should have some space for it somewhere I hope.

Oh Europe!

In that case you might be even luckier, there are sometimes specialty kids stores with this stuff a bit more in Europe, you may get lucky!

i'm talking about diapers on smashboards. I now am 100% sure I am a father now.

On character customization
"Perhaps the best way to think of it is: it's not the strength of the attacks that change--their power--but the directionality of those attacks will change with customization.

The... What does this mean?

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I hope he isn't thinking about replacing tripping with random combustion...
I will say that I do like the balance he is trying to achieve between the competitive and the casual. I would hate it if Smash just became a game about complex maneuvers, wave-dashing and all that jazz. I like the low entrance barrier it presents, so i can play with my sisters or younger cousins

My friends who don't play Smash have a hard time understanding that Up + B is a recovery/third jump. :chuckle:

Sometimes, I'm concerned. :laugh:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Dang, after reading the past several pages I realize I'm very late to the whole Pokémon/cuts discussion. Sorry. Found this humorous from WB's article:
"When I began working on the first Smash Bros., there was a great focus on [highly-technical] fighting games, and that's something we've seen branch off into sort of a niche direction. Now, those types of fighting games have a very high barrier to entry for new players, while Smash was always meant to appeal to lots of people from different gaming communities. When you look at fighting game forums, you'll see a preference for Melee, and yet, I think there are lots of people in the silent majority who don't post online who prefer Brawl. Ever since I started working on the Kirby series, I've always thought about the needs of the less vocal, beginning players of games."
He browses Smashboards!

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
My friends who don't play Smash have a hard time understanding that Up + B is a recovery/third jump. :chuckle:

Sometimes, I'm concerned. :laugh:
Yeah a lot of newcomers don't understand that motion. I usually recommend Kirby or Pit if they can't seem to to get the hang of the Up + B motion.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think one of them used ROB a bit. Pit, too.

Constant falling in pits as I have the easiest time ever.
So wait hold on a second...

They don't know how to use the Up Special to recover, despite those two characters in question having by far the best Up Special in terms of recovery.

Let me repeat that again, THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO RECOVER AS PIT OR R.O.B.

HUMANITY LOST, THIS IS NOW THE TIME TO SCREAM AND PANIC!!!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We should make a 10 Commandments of Smash!

1) Thou Shallt Recover

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Yeah a lot of newcomers don't understand that motion. I usually recommend Kirby or Pit if they can't seem to to get the hang of the Up + B motion.
I could understand pulling off QCF motions, but how the hell is that difficult?

Dang, after reading the past several pages I realize I'm very late to the whole Pokémon/cuts discussion. Sorry. Found this humorous from WB's article:
He browses Smashboards!
The question, though, comes as to WHY they prefer Brawl over Melee. Chances, are, it's the QUANTITY of the content.

In a way, isn't he already kind of doing that? We know the stages are going to be different on the Wii-U and 3DS version and I'd imagine that characters have to be balanced in order to work in those stages, especially since we're not getting cross-play. Plus there's also the possibility of items being different on both versions and characters have to be balanced with items in mind as well.
Not necessarily. It's quite likely that the stages are balanced around the characters, not the other way around. This would have to apply to the items as well. You can't just buff or nerf characters due to an item's property.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
So wait hold on a second...

They don't know how to use the Up Special to recover, despite those two characters in question having by far the best Up Special in terms of recovery.

Let me repeat that again, THEY DON'T KNOW HOW TO RECOVER AS PIT OR R.O.B.

I always offer to watch the How to Play video. They're like, "Nah, I understand." Then they fall in pits.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Not all Up B moves are recovery moves, such as Jigglypuff's or Yoshi's. Other special moves can also be used for recovery like Ganondorf's Side B and Ike's Side B. Also, any of Meta Knight's special moves can be used for recovery.

The majority of Up B moves are recovery moves, though.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The question, though, comes as to WHY they prefer Brawl over Melee. Chances, are, it's the QUANTITY of the content.
That is the most likely reason. However, for all of the content Brawl added it did not mask a lot of the problems. By no means am I a Melee evangelist, but it didn't take much to see where the game fell short. My Music was still the best addition of the game though.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
My brother even thinks Ichigo from Bleach has a decent shot of getting into Smash Bros.

Why am I the one surrounded by ignorance? :facepalm:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My younger brother of 12 (almost 13) actually was the most hyped for Wii Fit Trainer when I showed him the trailer.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I never recommend Ike or Metaknight i noticed

that everyone gets extremely cocky in free-4-alls when they are either of the those characters.
I could understand pulling off QCF motions, but how the hell is that difficult?
The first 10 times they are always screaming out "What do I do!? What do I do!? What do I do!?!..." while they are falling, meanwhile there is someone who is competent at the game screaming out
"Up B! Up B! Up B! Your gonna die Up B!!" So I guess they get nervous and choke under the pressure. But after a while they get the hang of it.

Unless they pick Ness or Lucas... It's useless getting a newcomer to learn how to recover if they are either of those characters without taking the controller from them and demonstrating.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That is the most likely reason. However, for all of the content Brawl added it did not mask a lot of the problems. By no means am I a Melee evangelist, but it didn't take much to see where the game fell short. My Music was still the best addition of the game though.
Don't get me wrong, both definitely have their share of flaws, but I feel that the silent majority may prefer Brawl for "the wrong reasons".

Then again, it's rather common for people to criticize the lack of single player modes in fighting games which I feel is both justified and unfair.

The first 10 times they are always screaming out "What do I do!? What do I do!? What do I do!?!..." while they are falling, meanwhile there is someone who is competent at the game screaming out "Up B! Up B! Up B! Your gonna die Up B!!"
after a while they get the hang of it. Unless they pick Ness or Lucas... They'll never get if they are either of those characters.
The problem here is that Up B is such a vague input to say, but it is clearer than 8B. Saying to hold the control stick up and to press B is longer to say, but it's so much clearer.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
My Music was still the best addition of the game though.
My Music is one feature I would really like to come back for this game. Probably one of the best additions to the series.

In fact, I have a feeling that this feature will return, based on what I've seen on the Developer Direct.

My brother even thinks Ichigo from Bleach has a decent shot of getting into Smash Bros.

Why am I the one surrounded by ignorance? :facepalm:
Well, Ichigo is eligible for Smash, much like how you cure cancer by injecting vomit in your veins.

As for your question, I'll give a simple answer: welcome to Earth.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think My Music was by far the best new addition in Brawl. Nothing exactly compared to the introduction of that feature in my opinion.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I recommend Ike a lot actually. And MetaKnight to sometimes (if only to study MK's movements and tricks against him a little :smirk: ). But
I think I give them Pikachu and Pit a lot of the time to.

Ness and Lucas are the nightmares of new players :laugh:

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Don't get me wrong, both definitely have their share of flaws, but I feel that the silent majority may prefer Brawl for "the wrong reasons".

Then again, it's rather common for people to criticize the lack of single player modes in fighting games which I feel is both justified and unfair.
The funny thing is Miyamoto was the one who told Sakurai in Melee to not focus on creating a large single player mode and instead focusing on the multiplayer experience. In Brawl Sakurai did what he wanted and gave us Subspace Emissary. The cutscenes were awesome at the time, especially when the DOJO was in full force; but years later it really has not added anything to my experience with the game. I think Miyamoto was right in the end.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I think My Music was by far the best new addition in Brawl. Nothing exactly compared to the introduction of that feature in my opinion.
Definitely, but I still want to see it combine with Tekken Tunes as a concept. Tekken Tunes lets you upload your own music into the game, but it always plays that one song you chose unless you go back to change it. I'd like them to to combine that with the multiple music and random music options My Music has. Still want to put this on a stage:
The funny thing is Miyamoto was the one who told Sakurai in Melee to not focus on creating a large single player mode and instead focusing on the multiplayer experience. In Brawl Sakurai did what he wanted and gave us Subspace Emissary. The cutscenes were awesome at the time, especially when the DOJO was in full force; but years later it really has not added anything to my experience with the game. I think Miyamoto was right in the end.
He definitely was. Yet, a lot of people ask for single player modes in their fighting games. Some games are trying to address this with more compelling story modes like we've seen with BlazBlue's visual novel storytelling and Injustice and MK9's cinematic storytelling.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Ness and Lucas are the nightmares of new players :laugh:
I dunno, there sure are a lot of annoying Lucas spammers on Basic Brawl.
Of course then I just grab release infinite to Hancock them with the other two players taunting constantly.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Only Marth and Charizard can really grab release infinite Ness and Lucas right?

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
I dunno, there sure are a lot of annoying Lucas spammers on Basic Brawl.
Of course then I just grab release infinite to Hancock them with the other two players taunting constantly.

I think Diddy might have been referring to the difficulty in successfully pulling off their recovery abilities. Or I'm just putting words into his mouth.

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Any single player experience can only last for so long. Something competitive like with good balance can come a long way..........

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
"Wrong Reasons?" Could you explain what you mean by this a bit more? From my gaming experiences there is no right way to like or to dislike a game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd like to play a Smash game where DK, Yoshi, Ness, Samus, Mario and Link can go even against Fox, Ice Climbers, Marth and Falco most than anything.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Not likely. Japan has a decent sized competitive Smash scene too. I'm also pretty sure Sakurai can't read English.
Pretty sure I was being facetious. It doesn't always translate well on the internet.
He definitely was. Yet, a lot of people ask for single player modes in their fighting games. Some games are trying to address this with more compelling story modes like we've seen with BlazBlue's visual novel storytelling and Injustice and MK9's cinematic storytelling.
That's great and all, and while I certainly enjoy it, at the end of the day a strong multiplayer experience is what makes or breaks a game like Super Smash Bros, not the richness of their story mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom