• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Wow, people on GAF are stupider then gamefaqs members. They think Sylveon and genesect will get in over Newtwo .
There are people all over who allow fandom for a character to blind themselves to realistic odds of inclusion, unfortunately. I really feel bad for them, as they're just setting themselves up for disappointment. I want an Advance Wars rep, but I can at least acknowledge that one is somewhat of an outside chance and avoid disappointing myself when I don't get one.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
So, the criteria for choosing Pokémon in Smash are:

- what's the hot Pokémon?
- what Pokémon are in the movies and/or anime right now?
- what's unique about them?
- where do they fit in with the rest of everything else?

I still wish that Meowth (with or without Team Rocket) would be playable in Smash. :(
What drives me up a wall is that before Brawl people argued that Lucario and the Mystery of Mew had absolutely no impact on Lucario's chances despite it being beyond obvious that it did.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
What drives me up a wall is that before Brawl people argued that Lucario and the Mystery of Mew had absolutely no impact on Lucario's chances despite it being beyond obvious that it did.
As much as people like to deride "flavor of the month", I think it really does have a powerful impact on various characters' chances for inclusion.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Speaking of fairies
[collapse= Fairies!]

Fairies![/collapse]
Do you guys thin Jigglypuff will make it back, seeing how she/he was said to be added last minute in Brawl?
And if you do think Jigglypuff is returning do think her/his moveset will be tweaked?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I know no one here is serious supporting Sylveon, but any support for it now is pretty much a waste. Sylveon really has is being revealed early. It isn't overwhelmingly popular, it's only really going to be featured in that short along with all the other eeveelutions, and Jigglypuff can already act as a representitive of the new type (not that Pokemon get in based on type - just that what Sylveon could bring could probably already exist with Jigglypuff), so in other words... Sylveon support won't amount to much.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
"Every single character that has been in Smash at this point" This line makes me think of Pichu and Young Link who weren't going to come back either way.
That's what I was thinking. Still think we're gonna get Brawl veterans cut though.

As for the Pokemon comment, looks like Zoroark still may be relevant after all. I would say Zoroark, and Genesect are both back in the race, since he pretty much said he hasn't looked into X & Y, and the only stand out character from that series right now anyway is Newtwo.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not everyone wants to click on any link because that is how you get a virus and fry your computer lol. Especially if I am at work. Also firewalls sometimes block the links.
That's not my problem. If you really can't access it, politely ask what it's about and why you can't read it.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Zoroark is a great example of failed attempt to cash In one someone else's (Lucario in this case) popularity.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Zoroark is a great example of failed attempt to cash In one someone else's (Lucario in this case) popularity.
Zoroark had a decent bit of popularity at one time (granted, not as much as Lucario), if the timing was different he probably still would.

It's not like Lucario's Smash popularity wouldn't have also had taken a hit if he was in the 3rd or 5th gens.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I think they can redo Roy using distinct attack animations from the GBA games and working in multihit properties on some of his moves as a way of using flames. This would be like the way they did Marth's moves which are just animations from the early FE games and not exactly animations Marth actually had.
In retrospect, it doesn't make much sense for Roy to be a cloned of Marth (though Falcondof doesn't make sense either). The SoS is a two-handed broadsword; the swordplay is totally different than that of a rapier. From his game, Roy basically takes two-handed powerful swings at opponents. It makes more sense if Roy’s attacks are similar to Ike or even Link to a certain extent.

Though I always found it funny that Roy draws his sword in reverse grip then flips it, which relates more to the Japanese sword arts than European.

Anyway, I'd like to say more on this subject but I'm at work haha. Tbh, I'm actually in the middle of writing a de-cloned moveset for Roy, playing more emphasis on the broadsword aspect.

I'd still rather have the standalone Zekrom or Zoroark instead of another trainer with heavily limiting mechanics such as switching and stamina.
Totally agree. I wasn't a big fan of the stamina gimmick and I think PT would be enough (unless they could find a better alternative). However, Sakurai is pretty fond of his gimmicks, so I'm expecting something new as well.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Honestly that article only confirms what we were all already speculating. Am still betting on:

Pikachu
PT Red
Lucario
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Now that you bring up Ike, this brings more concern when it comes to Roy. I can't shake the feeling that he'd either be a slower Marth or a faster Ike with neither sounding compelling.

Bring on Lyn or even Anna. This really depends on what they're going to do with Marth and Ike though. Miss Fit is reminding me greatly of Marth so I'm wondering what'll be done.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Honestly that article only confirms what we were all already speculating. Am still betting on:

Pikachu
PT Red
Lucario
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
I think the only other possibility is maybe Genosect, depending on how much they are weighting the new movie. I think those 5 characters will be the reps, though.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Is anyone else perfectly okay if DK and Star Fox wind up with four reps in SSB4? I used to be vocally against this but as long as everyone was fun to play as, I personally don't care, and I would rather have both K. Rool and Dixie and Wolf and Krystal playable then just one and then have one of the fanbases complain about it nonstop for 6-8 years.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I am, for sure. Dixie and Krystal are two character's I really want in Smash, I already play as Wolf, and I definitely wouldn't mind K. Rool.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Is anyone else perfectly okay if DK and Star Fox wind up with four reps in SSB4? I used to be vocally against this but as long as everyone was fun to play as, I personally don't care, and I would rather have both K. Rool and Dixie and Wolf and Krystal playable then just one and then have one of the fanbases complain about it nonstop for 6-8 years.

I spose I'd put myself in the not okay area. Star Fox isn't exactly going anywhere as of now, and while DK is amazing, both don't really need 4 reps though when there are the insane numbers of other characters requested.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'd be totally fine with this, though some people think that just not hating the idea of Krystal in Smash makes you an insta-perv. :rolleyes:

bobadz

Smash Ace
I'd be fine with DK getting four reps.

Also! Can someone tell the gamefaqs user darnstuff to **** off.

Here's what he said in the new info thread.

"Pretty funny coming from the guy who said "I CAN DO ANYTHING I WANT DURING MY LUNCH BREAK"

How about finishing your damn products and working overtime you lazy immortal ****?

People don't want to wait another 10 years for the next Smash Bros, get it right this time"
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/66507220?page=5

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
If we get a bunch more reps from new franchises at the same time, yes. DK can justify four reps at least somewhat well, but Star Fox having four reps is just a massive stretch. There's plenty of other series out there that deserve one rep more than DK and Star Fox need four.

I'd also rather not see Krystal and Dixie as they will attract a bit of an unsavory audience along with the the true fans, but that's more of a minor concern.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Proper chain grabs confirmed.
Ya, bro.
Or just put his awesome wrestling throws on his throw directions, and then his Final smash could be the Chain Grab ending with Screwdriver:
Dunno how it'd work on multiple foes, though.

His normal throws would of course deal more damage then the other characters', though.
If King's most powerful throw dealt 16%, the strongest possible throw among other characters would deal 13%.

Pummel: Arm Breaker 3%
Uthrow: Muscle Buster 15%
Dthrow: Deathroll Cradle 1+1+1+1+1........ 15%
Fthrow: Clothesline Press 14%
Bthrow: Giant Swing 16%

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
In retrospect, it doesn't make much sense for Roy to be a cloned of Marth (though Falcondof doesn't make sense either).
At least Ganondorf would possibly use moves like that, minus the Dark Dive.

He's a powerhouse, and didn't even use a sword in OOT outside of his non-human form. Using Magical physical attacks isn't that odd for him since it matches his personal style. Not to say he shouldn't have had magical projectiles, of course. But taking a look at his Earthquake Punch, something like Warlock Punch isn't that off.

I agree Roy makes little sense, other than being from the same series...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'd be fine with DK getting four reps.

Also! Can someone tell the gamefaqs user darnstuff to **** off.

Here's what he said in the new info thread.

"Pretty funny coming from the guy who said "I CAN DO ANYTHING I WANT DURING MY LUNCH BREAK"

How about finishing your damn products and working overtime you lazy immortal ****?

People don't want to wait another 10 years for the next Smash Bros, get it right this time"
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-for-wii-u/66507220?page=5
If only could punch people over the Internet...

Sakurai isn't a robot, for ****'s sake. He also has the right to take a break from work. He's already working very hard on the game.
Sheesh, these kind of people simply don't deserve to play this new game.

D

Deleted member

Depending on who else gets in, I'd be ok with seeing 4 DK and SF characters.

Yes, I am aware the 4th SF character would be Krystal, but as I have stated multiple times before, as a 4th character, she's acceptable.
Though with DK, it probably depends on what happens with Tropical Freeze, and also if Sakurai decides to make Diddy/Dixie like he couldn't in Brawl.
Strangest case scenario would be:
-DK
-Diddy/Dixie (planned for Brawl)
-K. Rool (heavily requested character)
-Funky (hypothetical 4th Tropical Freeze character)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think new franchise representation is going to happen anyways which is why I suggested it. Brawl had 6 and SSB4 already has 3 so I have no problem with DK and Starfox simply going ahead and wrapping up their respective fan favorites.

Add in: I'd also argue that this worked perfectly fine with LoZ in Melee and Kirby in Brawl which is why I'd encourage them to just get it over with.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I would take 4 DK and SF reps over 5 to 6 Mario and Pokemon reps any day.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So I just noticed this at the Villager's reveal video.

Of all numerous villagers to show around, they opted to go with Rosie (Bouquet) and Margie (Sally), who are Ai’s friends in Animal Crossing/Doubutsu No Mori-Movie.

I guess this was to throw back at the fans of the series who watched the movie, perhaps? In any case, a nice find which warmed my heart.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I think new franchise representation is going to happen anyways which is why I suggested it. Brawl had 6 and SSB4 already has 3 so I have no problem with DK and Starfox simply going ahead and wrapping up their respective fan favorites.
That's quite true, but given how many returning franchises also need more reps I just don't think I'd want to see three more slots given to DK and Starfox. My objection is more so to Starfox in particular.

If we get something like 15+ newcomers, I'd be more OK with 2 new DK reps and 1 new Starfox rep, but if we get less (or if the rumor about Pac-Man, Mii, and Little Mac is true) than I'd rather DK just get one newcomer and Starfox stay at 3. Brawl more so focused on beefing up existing Nintendo franchises, so to see a more equal spread or even an inversion of that trend this time would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom