• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

volbound1700

Smash Master
In retrospect, it doesn't make much sense for Roy to be a cloned of Marth (though Falcondof doesn't make sense either). The SoS is a two-handed broadsword; the swordplay is totally different than that of a rapier. From his game, Roy basically takes two-handed powerful swings at opponents. It makes more sense if Roy’s attacks are similar to Ike or even Link to a certain extent.

Though I always found it funny that Roy draws his sword in reverse grip then flips it, which relates more to the Japanese sword arts than European.

Anyway, I'd like to say more on this subject but I'm at work haha. Tbh, I'm actually in the middle of writing a de-cloned moveset for Roy, playing more emphasis on the broadsword aspect.

Totally agree. I wasn't a big fan of the stamina gimmick and I think PT would be enough (unless they could find a better alternative). However, Sakurai is pretty fond of his gimmicks, so I'm expecting something new as well.
Fire Emblem is a fantasy world so it can be assumed they develop differently then here and may have a blend of both Eastern and Western ideas.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
At the end of the day, I don't think any series needs more than three reps to have a roster which satisfactorily represents it, with the possible exception of Mario.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I would take 4 DK and SF reps over 5 to 6 Mario and Pokemon reps any day.
I'll agree that Pokemon was a little overkill in Brawl especially with 4 newcomers. With how Jigglypuff turned out, they should have just left her on the cutting room floor and it just seems like they added simply to avoid offending some people's sensibilities. As for Mario, I'd be okay with one more character simply because it is Nintendo's most important, best selling, and one of its oldest franchises. Despite that, there's no one from Mario that really screams out "dude, they TOTALLY need to be in Smash" to me (aside from Geno and Mallow but, you know...). I can entertain the idea of Bowser Jr or Toad but it's not something I'd be all that enthusiastic about. I do, however, love the idea of Waluigi (I blame his twisted incarnation in Brawl in the Family for this) but he'd be more likely to be characterized as a "Wario" character despite exclusively (his cameo in Smooth Moves doesn't count) being in Mario games.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Okay guys, get this now.

So if Arena Ferox is in SSB4 3DS... what we'll get as a FE-stage in Wii U-version?

Would this indeed mean we'll get Roy AND Chrom, or just Roy? Or Chrom?

I suddenly thought of Jugdral-games because they were one of the other console FEs aside from Archanea or Tellius.

Jugdral-games were also overlooked in Brawl in any sort of representation to them whatsoever (oddly enough)... so will we get something from those games now?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Mario could get another rep, but at that point it'd be more exciting to bring a new fresh franchise that not only allows for more distinct and unique characters but a wider array of content added. If we keep cutting off more meat from a franchise, eventually we're going to be left with the not-so-good parts, so I'd rather just bring in a new one, even if its smaller. There's much more potential this way. Basically I'm pitching Paper Mario here

Also, if Toon Link is gone, would Ghirahim be anymore acceptable in the eyes of some of you here? I realize TL's addition has no bearing on Ghirahim's one-shot status, but would he be more agreeable if he was the fourth and not the fifth, while we are on the topic of avoiding five representatives?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Probably Chrom simply because Awakening is by far the best selling game the franchise has ever had. Supposedly Nintendo was banking the continuation of the franchise on how well it did and, thankfully, sales went well beyond their expectations.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'm hoping that Arena Ferox is not one of the version-exclusive stages, though it probably is. Assuming Ike stays, we'd probably see a stage from his games, as they were on a home console and not handheld.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Also, if Toon Link is gone, would Ghirahim be anymore acceptable in the eyes of some of you here? I realize TL's addition has no bearing on Ghirahim's one-shot status, but would he be more agreeable if he was the fourth and not the fifth, while we are on the topic of avoiding five representatives?
No

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I wouldn't quite compare him to Vaati, he isn't a one-shot. Although being a one-shot hasn't stopped people from getting in before on multiple occasions, and this game being the fourth making that less like a deal breaker, I'd have to say that if he was somehow in the next one that'd really make people think twice about it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
NO.

10 NO's.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Is anyone else perfectly okay if DK and Star Fox wind up with four reps in SSB4? I used to be vocally against this but as long as everyone was fun to play as, I personally don't care, and I would rather have both K. Rool and Dixie and Wolf and Krystal playable then just one and then have one of the fanbases complain about it nonstop for 6-8 years.
I'd be perfectly happy with 4 reps from each. I don't think it will happen, but it would certainly be great. Having both Dixie AND K. Rool would be ideal. However, we'll probably only get 3 for each franchise, if that.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wouldn't quite compare him to Vaati, he isn't a one-shot. Although being a one-shot hasn't stopped people from getting in before on multiple occasions, and this game being the fourth making that less like a deal breaker, I'd have to say that if he was somehow in the next one that'd really make people think twice about it.
To be fair, the other one-shot characters we've gotten have either been the protagonist of their game, or tied to a major character in the series.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
To be fair, the other one-shot characters we've gotten have either been the protagonist of their game, or tied to a major character in the series.

I get that, I understand the issues. That's why I was curious to see if anyone would feel less put off by this if the number of reps decreased, considering it was actually an issue brought to me a lot and an issue brought up in general.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Um, no, one of the reasons for cuts is space.

We won't be seeing every possible character from Melee and Brawl combined no matter what. It doesn't necessarily mean any Brawl characters won't make it, but we shouldn't hold our breath.

And there's no way I'd trade Toon Link for anyone other than a Child Link. Young Link with Masks is a no-go due to character space, but we might still see him regardless thanks to A Link Between Worlds. I can even see his Ground Dodge being him sketched into the background for a moment.(essentially like Mewtwo's air dodge)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I compare him to Vaati because, despite how Vaati was in my top 10 for Brawl, the fans blow his significance out of proportion in the grand scheme of LoZ. Vaati is the only other major reoccurring villain the series but he was only the main villain in one major game: the Minish Cap. Ghirahim, despite doing all the footwork and having a presence literally from the beginning of the adventure to right before the final battle, ended up getting overshadowed by Akuma Ganondorf Demise in the end which is pretty much what happened to Vaati too in Four Swords Adventure.

D

Deleted member

Great, thanks to Kuma and Z1GMA, I want to see King in Smash Bros.

Thanks for making me hyped for something that won't happen, guys.... -_-

If only...

King is so cool, I don't mind that he beat Haggar in the SFXT promotions.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I get that, I understand the issues. That's why I was curious to see if anyone would feel less put off by this if the number of reps decreased, considering it was actually an issue brought to me a lot and an issue brought up in general.
Yeah, even though TL is a clone and another Link and everything, I still think he's a more important character to the series than Ghirahim is, so if anything cutting the Zelda reps down by one would cause me to be even more against Ghirahim. To me it'd be like cutting Peach but adding Toad, though to a much lesser extent, obviously.

That said, I don't have anything against him appearing as the fifth Zelda rep, I just don't think he will, and tbh he wouldn't be my first choice.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Yeah, even though TL is a clone and another Link and everything, I still think he's a more important character to the series than Ghirahim is, so if anything cutting the Zelda reps down by one would cause me to be even more against Ghirahim. To me it'd be like cutting Peach but adding Toad, though to a much lesser extent, obviously.
I see. That sounds fairly sensible, I didn't look at it from the perspective of who was cut. From a franchise importance standpoint that makes a lot of sense, although in terms of uniqueness I can see why Toon Link would go and Ghirahim would have more of a place, assuming Sakurai has no intentions of using him as anything other than a clone. Again I appreciate the thoughts.

That said, I don't have anything against him appearing as the fifth Zelda rep, I just don't think he will, and tbh he wouldn't be my first choice.

Meh. Poor taste. :smirk:

D

Deleted member

I still mind. :p
I did for a long time, since Haggar is Haggar.

But I had an epiphany; King is King.
Both are badass, but one is a retired wrestler gone mayor while one is still active (and pretty much dedicates his life to the sport).
It makes sense that King would beat Haggar in that regard in a fair wrestling match.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't see the opposition to new Mario characters. It is my view that the franchise is underrepesented based on its popularity.

Toad, Bowser Jr., and Paper Mario all deserve to be reps (although not all three in this game at once but any of the three would be fine).

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

Both are badass, but one is a retired wrestler gone mayor while one is still active (and pretty much dedicates his life to the sport).
It makes sense that King would beat Haggar in that regard in a fair wrestling match.
One is an active wrestler, and one is a retired wrestler gone mayor gone dispenser of street justice who beats an entire gang to death with his bare hands. I'm still bitter. :p

I don't see the opposition to new Mario characters. It is my view that the franchise is underrepesented based on its popularity.
Any franchise that has 5 reps doesn't need more when there are so many other franchises that are underrepresented or not represented at all. On top of that, Mario has its bases well covered; of the three most popular newcomers tossed around, Waluigi, Toad, and Bowser Jr., none really pop out as "must-haves" in order to give the Mario franchise a well-rounded and fair portrayal in Smash.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

Don't forget that when he wrestles, he's doing it for the children.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Um, no, one of the reasons for cuts is space.

We won't be seeing every possible character from Melee and Brawl combined no matter what. It doesn't necessarily mean any Brawl characters won't make it, but we shouldn't hold our breath.

And there's no way I'd trade Toon Link for anyone other than a Child Link. Young Link with Masks is a no-go due to character space, but we might still see him regardless thanks to A Link Between Worlds. I can even see his Ground Dodge being him sketched into the background for a moment.(essentially like Mewtwo's air dodge)
What? Where was it EVER said that space was an issue? You're literally just assuming things.... both 3DS cartridges and Wii U disks can hold more then the Brawl DVD, after all.

The only reasons that have ever been stated for "cuts" is balancing the game, technical limitations of the 3DS (duel characters), and lack of time.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Meh. Poor taste. :smirk:
I know you have it, but try not to let it get to you. Now be a good boy and hold my heels while I go make more sense than you. :smirk::troll:

Toad, Bowser Jr., and Paper Mario all deserve to be reps (although not all three in this game at once but any of the three would be fine).
I don't understand why people are against adding "more than four Mario characters" either, much less people who actually criticize those who do, considering that already happened in Melee, and tbh the four commonly brought up (well - maybe not Waluigi) are all better choices for a fifth than Doc was anyway (though I understand why Doc was chosen).

D

Deleted member

Don't forget that when he wrestles, he's doing it for the children.
There is that too. He fights for a noble cause; that means fate shines upon him.

Though I'm not saying Haggar doesn't fight for noble cause; whenever he does wrestle nowadays, it's to stop gangs or save the world (in the case of Mahvel).
However, an Exhibition Match between him and King only benefits King on a noble front, since King gets money for orphans from it. Haggar has no noble benefit from such a match, as King is just a fellow wrestler and not a sinful gangbanger.

EDIT: But to summate the general point:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom