• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
Be glad he didn't show a picture of an item. Then people would REALLY be disappointed, and mad.
Hmm, a confirmation of an item in the game, maybe something out of this world, maybe a new look of the smash ball, yeah I would really be disappointed.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I'm surprised people are actually expecting and disappointed we aren't getting characters reveals on the DOJO yet. Did you forget the game was revealed LAST WEEK? And doesn't release til NEXT YEAR? With Brawl we didn't get any more character confirmations until several months after the trailer, and then it was only Fox. With Melee there weren't any character confirmations, bar Zelda (who was only confirmed slightly before release), until the game actually released. Why are people expecting there to be more characters revealed on the third or fourth screenshot update?

Just because we're getting daily updates right from the get-go doesn't mean Sakurai has any intention of revealing more characters so soon after the reveal. You should probably get used to seeing pictures of stuff we already know about for a while.
I thought Zelda was in the Melee trailer (Wasn't the intro the initial trailer?)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I thought Zelda was in the Melee trailer (Wasn't the intro the initial trailer?)

Sheik was revealed before Zelda.

Which is kinda cool, cause you know, many people where expecting a solo Sheik at one point. ;)

volbound1700

Smash Master
But you need to look at it from a marketing perspective (sorry, it's my profession). Even though we all know he's coming, what character is more inherently Smash Bros than Captain Falcon? For branding purposes, it would only be logical for Nintendo include him just as much as Mario, Link, and Pikachu in the promotional materials. Anyone who has ever played a Smash Bros game (even if they never play C. Falc) will get excited.
I feel the same way about Ness as well.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, Ness and Captain Falcon are pretty much the first WTF characters in Smash I think. Maybe alongside Jigglypuff to. Then again, Ness and Jigglypuff have been fighting in their own respective series, C.Falcon has not. And his Falcon Punch and Falcon Kick have quickly gotten meme-status, and now even legendary-status.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So far we only know two Final Smashes: Samus's, which is the same, and Wii Fit Trainer's, which is completely random and hilarious.

I'm curious to see whether or not the veterans besides Samus have new Final Smashes and what could be the Final Smashes for the Villager and Mega Man.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I wonder if Mario will get a Final Smash based on a Galaxy game since we have seen little to show he has anything from Galaxy up to this point.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
So far we only know two Final Smashes: Samus's, which is the same, and Wii Fit Trainer's, which is completely random and hilarious.

I'm curious to see whether or not the veterans besides Samus have new Final Smashes and what could be the Final Smashes for the Villager and Mega Man.
Some smashes HAVE to be different. I can't see Mario's and Lucario's ones being the same... They're awful. Also I hope Giga Bowser doesn't show up.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Side B Specials were added to Melee.
Final Smashes were added to Brawl.

I really hope every character gets something new in Clash Smash Bros Wiiu, as well.

Maybe a weak move/item/weapon that can only be used once per match.
It would take skill/brightness/knowledge to use it at the right moment, though.

"Wild Card"

It's important, though, that it doesn't make the character better/worse in any major way.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Some smashes HAVE to be different. I can't see Mario's and Lucario's ones being the same... They're awful. Also I hope Giga Bowser doesn't show up.
Well, we still don't know. There's always the possibility of everyone keeping their Final Smashes.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle

There you go, now you're not disappointed.

I find it interesting how off that picture is. Isabelle shouldn't be there considering that Smashville is based off of City Folk. And Isabelle is using the new elongated design of the recent AC New Leaf, but whatever. Was so happy to see Villager join the fight. Never expected that.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Villager gives me hope for Toad and Isaac. So in the end, am not too upset about him getting the reveal apperance.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Anyone else perfectly okay with how they're going about the updates this time around? It's minimal, sure, but it's still better than nothing which is what we as fans put up with for more than half of the wait for Brawl. The six months between the Brawl trailer and Nintendo World 06 was downright painful and it just added insult to injury when all we saw was one "new" veteran and six stages in the second trailer. Another 6 months later we then got the week daily updates and even then it would be almost another month before any more veterans were shown and nearly three months before a new comer was shown. The fact that Nintendo has created a completely separate Youtube channel for Smash Bros videos suggests that the "droughts" are going to be handled a lot better this time around, especially now that we have Nintendo and Developer Directs unlike 7 years ago.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Just wondering what all kinds of things they're holding out for us in this installment. There's so much they could do this time, considering having so much more disc size and I guess, time.

I hope for something very greatly received yet innovative, maybe akin to FS's and Side Specials.

D

Deleted member

Anyone else perfectly okay with how they're going about the updates this time around? It's minimal, sure, but it's still better than nothing which is what we as fans put up with for more than half of the wait for Brawl. The six months between the Brawl trailer and Nintendo World 06 was downright painful and it just added insult to injury when all we saw was one "new" veteran and six stages in the second trailer. Another 6 months later we then got the week daily updates and even then it would be almost another month before any more veterans were shown and nearly three months before a new comer was shown. The fact that Nintendo has created a completely separate Youtube channel for Smash Bros videos suggests that the "droughts" are going to be handled a lot better this time around, especially now that we have Nintendo and Developer Directs unlike 7 years ago.
You're not alone in this. I do enjoy the pictures Sakurai takes with the game and found the most recent picture to be humorous.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Unlike seven years ago, I also have plenty of things going on in my life to distract me until the game comes out anyways so I seriously doubt the wait will be anywhere as tortuous as it was last time. :laugh: Once August rolls around, I'm pretty much going to be busy 7AM-9PM every weekday so I'm okay with checking the updates with my morning coffee before walking to work instead of staying up until 2-4 in the morning like I did with Brawl.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Good thing I wasn't around waiting for new info. I wouldn't have recovered. :laugh:
They will probably show more gameplay and characters in the upcoming Smash Nintendo Directs.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
The pictures are pretty. And well, its Smash. Heck yeah I'm going to appreciate some screenshots.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
To me I feel like they're handling things so much better than they did with Brawl. They're trying to find a middle ground between casual and competitive, they have one of the best fighting game development teams helping out, most of the focus is on the multiplayer instead of the single player modes, updates have already started but they're brief so that Sakurai can stay focused, newcomers get their own trailers to build hype, etc. This team clearly has a different mentality than the one that developed Brawl and even with the little amount of information we have it shows that the team is going in the right direction with this game.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I think Namco really slapped some balancing ideas into Sakurai. I like the lack of items shown so far.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Best part about 'em screenshots is still that we'll get to see something now about the game for a whole year after such a long wait. So it's better than nothing.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I think Namco really slapped some balancing ideas into Sakurai. I like the lack of items shown so far.

Minus of course the Smash Ball.

I like the balance it's taking, as well. Bowser looks like he'll actually be usable competitively this time.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Even people who like to play with items don't really care about them that much as long as they're fun. For example, the only item that made me say "oh, that's neat" when they first announced it on the Dojo was the Cracker Launcher.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Minus of course the Smash Ball.

I like the balance it's taking, as well. Bowser looks like he'll actually be usable competitively this time.
Even then, we don't know how "important" the Smash Ball will prove to be. I still think the best plan of action is to go the meter route, balance the final smashes (as we've seen so far), and make the Smash Ball an instant meter fill.

Sure, we haven't seen a meter in the gameplay videos yet, but that doesn't mean they aren't working on it in the mean time. I mean, they're still experimenting with air dodges.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I've probably said this before, but I feel Sakurai and whoever helps him in this process if anyone are at the top of their form with regarding designing newcomers. The three characters revealed to me were like him flexing his creative muscles. Villager being wild and zany, doing a dozen different things, Mega Man being so damn Mega Man it is awesome, and someone as seemingly bland as WFT being made very distinct and compelling. Probably not at all his intention, but that's what it feels like looking back on it for me. Coupled with what fatman said, I'm pretty pumped to see what is going to come.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
To me I feel like they're handling things so much better than they did with Brawl. They're trying to find a middle ground between casual and competitive, they have one of the best fighting game development teams helping out, most of the focus is on the multiplayer instead of the single player modes, updates have already started but they're brief so that Sakurai can stay focused, newcomers get their own trailers to build hype, etc. This team clearly has a different mentality than the one that developed Brawl and even with the little amount of information we have it shows that the team is going in the right direction with this game.
I think each newcomer getting their own video is quite easily the best change. It was pretty torturous to have Diddy Kong revealed only in screenshots, Sakurai even adding "You need to see him in action. Screenshots don't do him justice." Their marketing team for this game is way more on top of things than the one for Brawl.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
You'll probably be able to turn it [Smash Balls] off, much like in Barlw (Brawl). I also don't think Sakurai is going for a meter-based game this time around, but you never know.

About air dodging: What if we did see a return to Melee-style airdodges? I'm really wondering if the physics of the new engine would allow for wavedashing.

Smooth Criminal

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
Even then, we don't know how "important" the Smash Ball will prove to be. I still think the best plan of action is to go the meter route, balance the final smashes (as we've seen so far), and make the Smash Ball an instant meter fill.

Sure, we haven't seen a meter in the gameplay videos yet, but that doesn't mean they aren't working on it in the mean time. I mean, they're still experimenting with air dodges.
They probably won't do the meter thing for the sake of making Super Smash Bros different from traditional fighting games. Even then, I don't really care, since you can just turn the smash ball off regardless.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think each newcomer getting their own video is quite easily the best change. It was pretty torturous to have Diddy Kong revealed only in screenshots, Sakurai even adding "You need to see him in action. Screenshots don't do him justice." Their marketing team for this game is way more on top of things than the one for Brawl.
I agree. With individual trailers it feels more like a celebration that the character made it in and I personally think it reflects how the fans feel about their favorite characters making the cut. For Brawl, King Dedede was a HUGE deal for me and after he was revealed I sat and listened to his theme from various Kirby games for over an hour but Sonic quickly took away that fanfare with his very own trailer. Individual character trailers kind of turn everyone into a "big deal" even if they're obscure and I think that's a great service to the fans.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
About air dodging: What if we did see a return to Melee-style airdodges? I'm really wondering if the physics of the new engine would allow for wavedashing.

Smooth Criminal

I thought there was a video or something that showed someone do a Brawl-styled air dodge. I could be wrong, but...

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm pretty sure we will see some crazy stages from Sakurai and his team sure enough. I just hope these level are more playable than 75mm...

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I can't even go to NeoGAF right now, some are calling for close to half of Brawl's roster to be axed. That being said, I've been thinking about what might happen now that we're hearing about the difficulties posed by dual characters among other things:

Sheik is separated from Zelda. Toon Link is toast.

At this point there is little reason that Zelda and Sheik cannot be separate characters. Yes, they are the same person, but in a game that has had three different Links and two Mario's I don't think logic is that big of a concern. Additionally, I think Toon Link will be cut. Though logic would dictate with Wind Waker HD coming out he'd be more inclined to stick around, but out of all of the Nintendo characters he just seems the most expendable right now.

Pokémon Trainer is split up, and we lose two Pokémon. Or you can only select one Pokémon for a match on Super Smash Bros. 3DS.

I know this is going to be extraordinarily controversial, but understand I'm not a big fan of it myself. As wonderful of a character Pokémon Trainer was in Brawl, if there is any character bar Ice Climbers that could cause the most issues on the 3DS it would be Pokémon Trainer. Not only do you have the loading of three different Pokémon to deal with, you also have the trainer himself to think about, and where he is going to fit in the background of each stage. A hefty amount of stages spread across both games can make this task much more demanding than it was with Brawl. The solution could end up being getting rid of the Pokémon Trainer concept completely, then figuring out what to do with the individual Pokémon. If Sakurai were truly interested in cutting back on the roster, I think we'd see two Pokémon leave -- not necessarily all coming from Pokémon Trainer. If I had to rank Charizard, Ivysaur and Squirtle on their likeliness to stay it would probably be in that order. However, I don't think that only those three would be at risk, every Pokémon not named Pikachu has the potential, however small, of being removed or replaced. Of course everything is subject to The Pokémon Company at the end of the day.

The less dramatic alternative might be that on the 3DS you can only select one Pokémon per match. We've talked a lot about reducing characters to fit the handheld's hardware and this might be one example of a potential solution. Sakurai would still have to deal with the issue of Pokémon Trainer needing a spot in the background, but loading one character versus three is a lot more manageable.

Zero Suit Samus is cut and replaced with Ridley.

Zero Suit Samus replaced by Ridley? You have to remember the reasons why Zero Suit Samus was selected in the first place. Because he wanted to add another Metroid character, and wanted to include another female character. He views Zero Suit Samus as her own character, and technically speaking, she is. Although she presents a nice contrast to Samus if her character is causing too many problems it's best she is removed from Samus altogether. Why not separate her like Sheik? Valid question, but I'm operating under the assumption that Sakurai is trimming the roster. There really is no question that most Metroid fans would rather have Ridley over Zero Suit Samus if it came to that, and I also have a feeling there would be a lot of resentment if Zero Suit Samus stays while characters such as Lucas, Wolf, Falco, R.O.B, Ike or Lucario were removed.

Olimar gets a new move.

Although we really have no way of knowing right now we can only assume Olimar and his Pikmin are likely part of the characters having issues transitioning to the 3DS. Many of us here have suggested simply removing the amount of Pikmin that follow him on the 3DS game, and while that makes a lot of sense there is an unintended consequence -- he loses his recovery. This puts him at a disadvantage to the other players unless Sakurai is going to compensate by increasing his jump height. If not that he will definitely need a new special recovery attack.

Falco at risk, Wolf is safe.

This may go against what the community deems to be the likelier situation, but lets look at the facts. In Wolf's first appearance he plays less like Fox than Falco has in two games. Sakurai obviously had a playstyle in mind when he designed Wolf, the same cannot be said for Falco. Whether right or wrong Falco has little differentiation between himself and Fox. Whether that is intentional on the part of Sakurai I do not know, nor am I going to try to argue that case. All I can say for certain is that if Wolf didn't have a Landmaster, or a blaster, or a shield; we wouldn't even be discussing how much of a clone he is to Fox. I'm not saying that there will be a Star Fox character cut, but if there is don't be surprised if it is Falco.

Lucas and Ness are going nowhere.

Lucas and Ness are the respective protagonists of their games. Besides sharing three specials and a Final Smash, they do not play alike. Both are popular characters and have no reason to be cut, at all.

Ike continues fighting for his friends.

Marth is going nowhere. He doesn't need to be a part of the discussion. Ike is in discussion, unfortunately. There really isn't much to say: I think he'll stay. Sure, he could get the revolving door treatment, but Intelligent Systems has not proven to be anywhere near as controlling as The Pokémon Company, so we shouldn't try comparing the two. Ike remains one of the most popular lords from the series and a popular character from the game. If any lord is in danger it is Roy by sheer virtue of having been removed in the first place. There probably will be a third Fire Emblem lord, just don't ask me who.

People continue to whine about R.O.B.

He's coming back. In many ways he is Super Smash Bros. original character.

One or none returning guests.

This is not hard to understand. Solid Snake and Sonic the Hedgehog, by their nature, are not inherent to return. They were guests that made it in due to a personal favor and a rabid fanbase. I still find it likelier to believe that Sonic the Hedgehog will return over Solid Snake, especially with Sega and Nintendo entering into an exclusive relationship to work on the next set of Sonic titles; but there are no guarantees Sonic will return.
---

I'll probably come back to this later but I' need to eat and get ready for work.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Nah, I think there would still be significantly more beef if Zamus was removed than, say, R.O.B. She was one of the first five Brawl characters revealed and I think there would be a lot of backlash for cutting down on the girls in the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom