• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
So do you guys think these names are official? Have we had any source claim that they are or not? Honestly, I don't like them but it doesn't matter because we'll be calling it Smash 4 if they are and that's fine with me. It wouldn't surprise me since Nintendo tend to be... Dumbing down their names recently with Mario Kart becoming a numbered franchises and the New Super Mario Bros series etc.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Exactly... Toad being playable in Super Mario 3D World made me hype for the game more than Peach being playable and I was already hyped for her when I saw her doing her classic floating jump. I got an urge to replay SMB2 on Wii Virtual Console... maybe play the whole game as Toad only. :smirk:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Exactly... Toad being playable in Super Mario 3D World made me hype for the game more than Peach being playable and I was already hyped for her when I saw her doing her classic floating jump. I got an urge to replay SMB2 on Wii Virtual Console... maybe play the whole game as Toad only. :smirk:

Yeah. I also have SMBX (the big Mario-fangame from maker of Terraria) which also had Toad as a playable with all the powerup stuff and so on (a bit like pre-cursor to 3D World). I think my love to Toad as a playable must have been truly realized there.

Psyniac: Maybe they pull a pun:

Smash Bros 4 3DS and 4 Wii U!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ohh how pissed Golden was when I replied to his Dixie being playable lowered K.Rool's chances with the fact that Toad is playable in the new Mario game and not Waluigi or Dr.Mario. :smirk: :laugh:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Truth be told, when I was filling out Club Nintendo surveys after registering my Mario games (SMG2, NSMBWii, SM3DL, NSMB2, M&L:BIS, MK7)... I kept asking for Toad to have more playable roles alongside Mario and Luigi and I kept asking for Peach to be playable because I kept bringing up SMB2... lo and behold, Toads are playable in NSMBWii, NSMBU, NSLU, and SM3DW (with Peach to boot!). Let's see if they fulfill my requests for a playable Toad in SSB4. :awesome:

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
So do you guys think these names are official? Have we had any source claim that they are or not? Honestly, I don't like them but it doesn't matter because we'll be calling it Smash 4 if they are and that's fine with me. It wouldn't surprise me since Nintendo tend to be... Dumbing down their names recently with Mario Kart becoming a numbered franchises and the New Super Mario Bros series etc.
Some on GAF are saying that the way the logos are and Sakurai refers to the title on YouTube indicate the game will be called Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii U. Beyond that speculation, no clue.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Truth be told, when I was filling out Club Nintendo surveys after registering my Mario games (SMG2, NSMBWii, SM3DL, NSMB2, M&L:BIS, MK7)... I kept asking for Toad to have more playable roles alongside Mario and Luigi and I kept asking for Peach to be playable because I kept bringing up SMB2... lo and behold, Toads are playable in NSMBWii, NSMBU, NSLU, and SM3DW (with Peach to boot!). Let's see if they fulfill my requests for a playable Toad in SSB4. :awesome:

If Toad doesn't make it as a playable character this time, I'm betting we'll never get him. He's extremely likely now though. Am hyped to see him in this!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The best part is.... haters cannot use the "he's boring/generic/peaceful/etc." against Toad because Villager was labeled as such (because Tom Nook and Mr. Resetti are better suited as fighters :troll:) before he was confirmed and literally no one suggested Wii Fit Trainer because we all saw her as such that we didn't bother toying with the notion.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
If Toad doesn't make it as a playable character this time, I'm betting we'll never get him. He's extremely likely now though. Am hyped to see him in this!
I was always asking for Nintendo to stop portraying Toad as a spineless weakling (SMB3, SM64, SMS, SMG, Mario RPG games, Melee/Brawl). I demanded that they return his backbone he had in SMB2. I wanted Toad to have an active role in the games as opposed to as a NPC who gave you items. So I am happy that not only Toad, but even generic Toads, have backbones and are as active as the Mario Bros.

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Just one of my favorite Mario characters, dunno why, but that's just the way it is.

Besides, Birdo's shown up a lot more recently than a bunch of characters people want and could even be a classic character brought back.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Just one of my favorite Mario characters, dunno why, but that's just the way it is.

Besides, Birdo's shown up a lot more recently than a bunch of characters people want and could even be a classic character brought back.
Toad is more wanted and is a classic character who was brought back to the spotlight with NSMBWii, NSMBU, NSLU, and SM3DW.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Toad is more wanted and is a classic character who was brought back to the spotlight with NSMBWii, NSMBU, NSLU, and SM3DW.

My question is what moveset does he have to vary him from the other reps we have so far. Also is he removed from Peach's moveset if he becomes a rep?

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Still think its strange about how quiet Sakurai has been about Smash 4 even during E3. There have been no interviews with the guy, and he has not revealed any new information since Tuesday.
No interview? There was a Developer Direct that involved Super Smash Bros., where Sakurai explained varies details about the game.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My question is what moveset does he have to vary him from the other reps we have so far. Also is he removed from Peach's moveset if he becomes a rep?
There are more than one Toad in the Mario games, you know. Toad being playable shouldn't affect Peach's moveset.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
No interview? There was a Developer Direct that involved Super Smash Bros., where Sakurai explained varies details about the game.
That was not an interview, that was Sakurai talking to a camera. I am talking abut Sakurai giving information to the media.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
That was not an interview, that was Sakurai talking to a camera. I am talking abut Sakurai giving information to the media.
This is exactly what we need. We need an actual reporter asking him legitimate questions so we can have a few things answered. I was really hoping for some interviews where he might discuss roster size, newcomers, etc.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So, I was watching the Developer Direct about Smash 4 (again) and I noticed that Pit is lefty in this game, like in Brawl and unlike KI: Uprising. He even uses the Upperdash Arm in his left hand instead of his right.

The new Bowser dash animation makes more sense than the one before. Despite being a little goofy, remind that this is how he runs in the Mario games too.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
So, I was watching the Developer Direct about Smash 4 (again) and I noticed that Pit is lefty in this game, like in Brawl and unlike KI: Uprising. He even uses the Upperdash Arm in his left hand instead of his right.

The new Bowser dash animation makes more sense than the one before. Despite being a little goofy, remind that this is how he runs in the Mario games too.
Agreed. I loved how Bowser looked in Brawl. Everything about him was awesome. However, I wasn't pissed that they changed his design in Smash 4. It makes perfect sense that they would change him for Smash 4. Bowser DOESN'T look awesome in the canon. He's goofy and ridiculous.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yay, Hex is back!:D

To answer your question, he can go in a few ways. One would be an item-based moveset, another could be a spore-based moveset, or possibly a mix of both, when it comes to Specials.

I think he'll take Peach's Neutral B, and use it as his own, while Peach gets a Vibe move from SPP. Or Toadsworth whacking with his cane.

D

Deleted member

Trolling aside, what do you think of Toad and Dixie Kong's chances for getting in SSB4? I think they might be more likely because of Super Mario 3D World (which is totally based off Super Mario Bros. 2) and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. Just how many more playable roles do the Toad species need in the post-Brawl main Mario games to be considered the most likely Mario newcomer despite his low vote count in Shortie's polls?
Toad's chances are unaffected by this game.

I do feel, however, that Dixie Kong is likely to get in the next game (but I've felt that Dixie Kong always had a decent shot of getting in anyway).

I'm hoping we get a title aside from Super Smash Bros. 3DS/Wii-U. Honestly, the name sounds... kind of lame.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
If Toad is the stance character I always wanted, I'd be so happy.

That's more Mario reps than I'd like. Fingers still crossed for Birdo
I never felt so angry when I was lied to about toad being in Super Smash bros. Melee...
But, in all honesty, I really don't think there should be something like toad in Smash.
Super smash bros had 4 3/4 Mario Bros. reps already. ( The 3/4 represents Wario, and Yoshi. ) ( Not an accurate fraction. )

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
SSBF: So ya think that Toad's chances are still 50/50-side?

Dixie again, I think Sakurai will revisit DK-reps and add her from Brawl-days.

Speaking of revisiting, I don't know if this could apply to Starfy though. Villager of course got in despite what Sakurai said before, but since it seems that Starfy might have been worked on but didn't work out, I dunno has Sakurai inclined to try on him again during development. Might expect him to return as an Assist or not at all.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Still think its strange about how quiet Sakurai has been about Smash 4 even during E3. There have been no interviews with the guy, and he has not revealed any new information since Tuesday.
Yeah it's definitely weird. Honestly I would have thought we would have gotten at least some comments from him or Capcom on Mega Man's appearance. And here I was hoping to start updating the Directory thread.

Toad's chances are unaffected by this game.

I do feel, however, that Dixie Kong is likely to get in the next game (but I've felt that Dixie Kong always had a decent shot of getting in anyway).
Same here with Toad and Dixie. Toad hasn't really gotten anything to help boost him, it's still just another game where he's a Mario clone. Dixie Kong definitely received the biggest boost due to her previous problem, if we can even call it one, of not having been in any recent DK games now being fixed.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Toad? They're pushing it by requiring four Mario characters to begin with, and I'm sure all four of them are going to be there. I really don't think they're going to include a, basically, supporting character. Especially one who has hundreds of clones of himself. Then again, there have been other cases of this...

Regardless, even if they do add ANOTHER Mario character, it ought to be someone who isn't just...on the sidelines. Toad is nice and all, but there are definitely much better candidates than that. :<

(juuuniooor, junior plssssssss)

D

Deleted member

Ohh how pissed Golden was when I replied to his Dixie being playable lowered K.Rool's chances with the fact that Toad is playable in the new Mario game and not Waluigi or Dr.Mario. :smirk: :laugh:
a) It was completely uncalled for, asshole.
b) Didn't say that it lowered K. Rool's chances; just said that it raised Dixie's chances to a high degree.

So I reiterate, go OD.

D

Deleted member

SSBF: So ya think that Toad's chances are still 50/50-side?

Dixie again, I think Sakurai will revisit DK-reps and add her from Brawl-days.

Speaking of revisiting, I don't know if this could apply to Starfy though. Villager of course got in despite what Sakurai said before, but since it seems that Starfy might have been worked on but didn't work out, I dunno has Sakurai inclined to try on him again during development. Might expect him to return as an Assist or not at all.
It's more or less dependent on if Pac-Man, Little Mac and Mii gets confirmed today. If so, then I'll have to re-evaluate his chances (along with everyone else), but if not, then I feel as a Mario addition is overall unlikely since I don't see it getting priority over the likes of Ridley, a DK rep (K. Rool and/or Dixie), Mewtwo, a FE rep (Roy and/or Chrom), a Kid Icarus rep, etc.
Yeah it's definitely weird. Honestly I would have thought we would have gotten at least some comments from him or Capcom on Mega Man's appearance. And here I was hoping to start updating the Directory thread.
Yeah, it kind of surprises me here. Whatever the case is, I maintain that Sakurai enthusiastic attitude made Mega Man possible (I don't think he would do third-parties again if he had a similar attitude as in Brawl's development). Nevertheless, I really want to see Sakurai comment on Mega Man.
Same here with Toad and Dixie. Toad hasn't really gotten anything to help boost him, it's still just another game where he's a Mario clone. Dixie Kong definitely received the biggest boost due to her previous problem, if we can even call it one, of not having been in any recent DK games now being fixed.
At this rate for many characters, it's a make or break moment for them, Toad being one of them. If he fails to get in now, he's probably not ever going to get in a Smash Bros. games and X amount of appearance isn't going to do anything.

I'd say that Dixie Kong receives a slight boost, although since I don't consider recentness to be an issue with recurring franchise in the first place, I feel the boost only helps if she is added as a last minute addition (although being added from the start certainly helps).

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Toad runs faster than Mario, Luigi, and Peach in SM3DW and is said to be for advanced players (Peach is said to be for beginner players). I guess Toad's poor jumping height and fastest running speed make a platformer game more challenging. :smirk:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I wonder now, should Toad not get in Smash and that meaning he'll never do, should this be the last SSB to be made, incase we're kinda running out of reps with any "all-star power" because they don't really meet the criterias to be playable? (Incase we'd get as more examples like Toad.)

I mean if the final roster adds most of the characters, then I sure have no hell of an idea which characters need to be left before SSB seems fully completed in means of having all the important characters (Brawl doing this by a big notch).

Arcadenik: While I don't think SSBF referred to 'em directly, his statement might apply to NSMB-appearances where the Blue and Yellow Toads were (basically) Mario-clones in multiplayer modes.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I also asked for those plus more Waluigi, Wario, and Daisy (especially in RPGs since it just doesn't make sense since you already have large castes of characters).

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Toad runs faster than Mario, Luigi, and Peach in SM3DW and is said to be for advanced players (Peach is said to be for beginner players). I guess Toad's poor jumping height and fastest running speed make a platformer game more challenging. :smirk:
Yeah he does run faster but it isn't anything new. He was faster than them already in SMB2, which did come out before Smash 4 was announced. Nothing has really changed outside of it being another game on his resume.

Metal Mania1321

Smash Journeyman
So, for folks without a Wii U, you guys can sign into Miiverse with this account:
Username: Redditguy
Password: redd1t

Hopefully, I'd like to see this as a sort of "community account" of sorts.

volbound1700

Smash Master
It's more or less dependent on if Pac-Man, Little Mac and Mii gets confirmed today. If so, then I'll have to re-evaluate his chances (along with everyone else), but if not, then I feel as a Mario addition is overall unlikely since I don't see it getting priority over the likes of Ridley, a DK rep (K. Rool and/or Dixie), Mewtwo, a FE rep (Roy and/or Chrom), a Kid Icarus rep, etc.
Well Mario series is a lot huger and characters more noteworth than FE and KI. I think we are buying too much into the philosophy that all series are going to get equal rep which will not likely be the case. FE already has 2-3 characters and it pales in comparison to a series that has 4. I say Mario definitely is overdo for characters (especially since Mario series had 5 in Melee). I did hear somewhere though that Sakurai considers the Mario spinoff characters like Yoshi to be a part of the Mario series in rep.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah he does run faster but it isn't anything new. He was faster than them already in SMB2, which did come out before Smash 4 was announced. Nothing has really changed outside of it being another game on his resume.
Exactly, another playable role in an A-list Mario game that will no doubt sell millions added to his already impressive resume. It's like I said before, Nintendo is starting to give Toad more attention... maybe we might even have a Year of Toad in 2015 (30th anniversary) or even 2025 (40th anniversary).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom