• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I remember Sakurai stating in a Famitsu article that Dixie was meant to be paired with Diddy.
(I couldn't find the article itself all I was able to find was different forums of people with the snip-it here is one from smashboards: http://smashboards.com/threads/diddy-dixie-what-could-have-been.144627/ )
In the latest Famitsu (Did people stop caring since Brawl came out??), Sakurai is interviewed specifically about the newcomers (limited to those already shown on the Dojo) and mentioned that originally Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong were meant to be a pair character that tagged between each other, but the plan was changed due to difficulties encountered. Here is the actual Japanese text on the subject:

じつは、ディディーコングはディクシーコングとペアで出すつもりでした。タッチするごとで二人を瞬時に入れ替えるようなシステムをつもり。いろいろと難しい部分があって早々とカットしました。
So my guess is that, if Sakurai is going back to the drawing board for characters, I definitely think he'll give them another attempt to work in a smash bros setting.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Eh. I don't want Diddy to be paired up with Dixie. His Brawl moveset is fine. :/

Maybe Kiddy and Dixie, but I'm not too big on the idea of pairing up characters who can also work fine just fine on their own.
Some characters offer more interesting movesets if paired up. That's what happened with the Pokémon Trainer. It wouldn't work so well if all the three pokémons were divided.

I don't see Dixie alone working so interestingly to be honest, and I don't think Diddy was that good in Brawl. His down-B and side-B were pretty boring.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Yes the mechanic is only recently for FE being done in FEA but it was heavily advertise as a big part of the game is basically required to be Lunatic and espically Lunatic+ mode. I would rather see the gimmick done through FEA characters mainly because of how big a FE fan I am. But I am mostly against the idea of having Diddy be paired up with Dixie, I myself find that to be one of the worst ideas for suggestions in all honesty, I would be fine if Dixe got paired up with another new character, but not a vet that is already stand alone.
Well of course you being a FE fan and me being a DKC fan we are going to have our biases :laugh:
Dixie & Kiddy was always my back up suggestion when people rejected the idea of Diddy losing his 'individuality'

Even made a thread about it: http://smashboards.com/threads/dkc3-double-trouble-a-dixie-and-kiddy-kong-thread.330920/

But I will say that the whole Kong pairing idea isn't a popular one.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
the only way i would like this is if their tag system is like DKC2 and the one not fighting cannot get hit... they become a background character and follow the player wherever they go... an Ice climbers situation is too much like Ice Climbers.
Exactly, exactly like that. God I don't know why that concept would be hard to understand.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I think a Fire Emblem tag team is one of the worst ideas for a character I've heard as of now, really.
If Diddy and Dixie can work, then why not Fire Emblem characters? I think Chrom & Lucina would be an awesome tag-team character. I have a bunch of ideas for that, but basically they would call each other out and switch places (during moves where they play off each other, etc.).

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
On the official Smash website 8 empty slots have opened up on the character selection section. In total there are 27 now with 19 known. Remember 6 months ago Sakurai said the limit for creating characters for Smash Bros is about 20? So then half the idiot planet assumed Smash would only have 20 characters period? Hahaha.

These 8 slots will probably be filled by May with at least one more newcomer before June. Come on Ridley!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well of course you being a FE fan and me being a DKC fan we are going to have our biases :laugh:
Dixie & Kiddy was always my back up suggestion when people rejected the idea of Diddy losing his 'individuality'

Even made a thread about it: http://smashboards.com/threads/dkc3-double-trouble-a-dixie-and-kiddy-kong-thread.330920/

But I will say that the whole Kong pairing idea isn't a popular one.

It would be killing two birds with one stone but I can see Diddy mains winding up absolutely pissed about the decision. It could be argued that it would leave more room for K. Rool though. :troll:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
If Diddy and Dixie can work, then why not Fire Emblem characters? I think Chrom & Lucina would be an awesome tag-team character. I have a bunch of ideas for that, but basically they would call each other out and switch places (during moves where they play off each other, etc.).
I don't know, I get the impression that a lot of people want a Fire Emblem tag team because it's probably the only chance of getting both Chrom and Lucina playable.

Diddy & Dixie on the other hand are a staple in "cooperating tag team" almost like Ice Climbers. They're brothers.

Zelda / Impa is worse though. That is just straight up ugly.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
It would be killing two birds with one stone but I can see Diddy mains winding up absolutely pissed about the decision. It could be argued that it would leave more room for K. Rool though. :troll:
Stay out of my head! Your just telling me what I want to hear! :awesome:

D

Deleted member

Here is a funny thought: over on NeoGAF, in their roster prediction competition thread, more people put Tails and Rayman on their rosters than Rosalina.
This is the same site that has a fad for Dr. Luigi. I am not making this up.

Good website for gaming in general, bad for discussing Smash.
I don't see the connection but I do think Rosalina's reveal yesterday did boost Bandana Dee and Cranky's chances since Sakurai does seem to be showing some favoritism towards characters playable in recent canon games.
I doubt playable appearance in recent games contributed to Rosalina's inclusion. Her moves comes out of the Galaxy games, which IIRC, she wasn't playable in them. Plus there's also uniqueness to take into account here and Sakurai has been emphasizing on this a lot, even more than in previous games. I think Sakurai went through the potential Mario candidates, selected who he felt stood out the most and picked Rosalina based off that. Would feel that way even if Rosalina didn't show up on Super Mario 3D World.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think a Fire Emblem tag team is one of the worst ideas for a character I've heard as of now, really.
That's the beauty of Wandering Heroes... they are a team of sword users... and they are not generic Miis with Hitler or penis faces. :awesome:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Eh. I don't want Diddy to be paired up with Dixie. His Brawl moveset is fine. :/

Maybe Kiddy and Dixie, but I'm not too big on the idea of pairing up characters who can also work fine just fine on their own.
Well, to be fair...according to popular belief, if Rosalina got in Smash without Luma, she would probably be a semiclone of Peach... so if people think Dixie Kong is gonna be a semiclone of Diddy Kong, we might as well pair her up with Kiddy Kong to make her unique.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」

Good website for gaming in general, bad for discussing Smash.I doubt playable appearance in recent games contributed to Rosalina's inclusion. Her moves comes out of the Galaxy games, which IIRC, she wasn't playable in them. Plus there's also uniqueness to take into account here and Sakurai has been emphasizing on this a lot, even more than in previous games. I think Sakurai went through the potential Mario candidates, selected who he felt stood out the most and picked Rosalina based off that. Would feel that way even if Rosalina didn't show up on Super Mario 3D World.
That's a good point..

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Good website for gaming in general, bad for discussing Smash.I doubt playable appearance in recent games contributed to Rosalina's inclusion. Her moves comes out of the Galaxy games, which IIRC, she wasn't playable in them. Plus there's also uniqueness to take into account here and Sakurai has been emphasizing on this a lot, even more than in previous games. I think Sakurai went through the potential Mario candidates, selected who he felt stood out the most and picked Rosalina based off that. Would feel that way even if Rosalina didn't show up on Super Mario 3D World.

They are based on the Galaxy games and she wasn't playable in them but, given that, what would her moves be if she didn't have those? They're technically Mario's moves in the same way that Zelda's magic specials are technically Link's. She was a blank slate but instead of simply making stuff up like Captain Falcon, they just took material from the games. Also, you have to admit, she's been shoehorned into a lot of stuff ever since the first Galaxy game despite not having too much to her character aside from a tear jerker backstory. There are idle rumors that the reason for the push is that Nintendo is considering giving her a franchise of her own ala Wario/Yoshi and, if this is true, her abrupt addition to Smash Bros would make that much more sense.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Rosalina is a well designed character from a marketing standpoint. She's very feminine, but she also is a strong character who is shown as consistently capable. That toes a delicate line; characters like Peach and Zelda are likeable but have a huge damsel in distress thing going on with them, and then a character like Samus in every non-Other M game would basically be the same character if she were a man (and Other M was awful and sexist so it does not get bonus points). I'd expect to see a lot more Rosalina in the future.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Rosalina is a well designed character from a marketing standpoint. She's very feminine, but she also is a strong character who is shown as consistently capable. That toes a delicate line; characters like Peach and Zelda are likeable but have a huge damsel in distress thing going on with them, and then a character like Samus in every non-Other M game would basically be the same character if she were a man (and Other M was awful and sexist so it does not get bonus points). I'd expect to see a lot more Rosalina in the future.
The more logical one is probably Palutena. I would also like Impa, but only if she's stand alone and doesn't get Sheik's spot.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The more logical one is probably Palutena. I would also like Impa, but only if she's stand alone and doesn't get Sheik's spot.

Palutena has the whole damsel in distress thing going on too though. She was held captive in the first game and became possessed in Uprising. Granted, she has a lot more character than other Nintendo females but she really hasn't been shown to be capable on her own yet. Despite this, I still think she'd make a great playable character.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Palutena has the whole damsel in distress thing going on too though. She was held captive in the first game and became possessed in Uprising. Granted, she has a lot more character than other Nintendo females but she really hasn't been shown to be capable on her own yet. Despite this, I still think she'd make a great playable character.
Palutena? Damsel in distress?? I gotta disagree with you there, I don't really think she is a damsel in distress at all.
The best way to put it is: If Palutena had Rosalina's moveset, Pit would be the Luma.

Palutena is more of the puppet master for Pit. He is her errand boy. I'm sure she is capable of handling her own (As seen in the Chaos Kin (?) boss battle) but lets her army do it for her.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I haven't played the first Kid Icarus much but I think it's fair to say that Uprising it's a reboot. The characters are basically new and to be honest I don't remember Palutena to have a damsel in distress vibe in her at all.
And by the way she's probably the best written female Nintendo character to date so she should have the spot just for that.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
Hey guys, been a while :grin:. I know I'm late to this discussion but I truly am interested in the topic:

What do you guys think of Rosalina & Luma as a Smash4 character? Is it a good/bad addition to the roster?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Hey guys, been a while :grin:. I know I'm late to this discussion but I truly am interested in the topic:

What do you guys think of Rosalina & Luma as a Smash4 character? Is it a good/bad addition to the roster?
Great addition from a gameplay perspective, decent from a character one. I'm not against her but I think they should've shown another character to generate more hype.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace

>Unique moveset
>An important character for the Mario universe
>New, female and badass

Should I say more?

Shroob

Sup?
I haven't played the first Kid Icarus much but I think it's fair to say that Uprising it's a reboot. The characters are basically new and to be honest I don't remember Palutena to have a damsel in distress vibe in her at all.
And by the way she's probably the best written female Nintendo character to date so she should have the spot just for that.
The game isn't a reboot. They make reference to the original KI at every chance they can to the point of even using 8-bit sprites to show how different characters looked then and now.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
I don't know, I get the impression that a lot of people want a Fire Emblem tag team because it's probably the only chance of getting both Chrom and Lucina playable.

Diddy & Dixie on the other hand are a staple in "cooperating tag team" almost like Ice Climbers. They're brothers.

Zelda / Impa is worse though. That is just straight up ugly.
I agree on that lol. I would almost rather have just Chrom (but he has a chance to be more unique).

Although remember Chrom and Lucina are
father and daughter
and use similar techniques, so they are very alike to Ice Climbers/Diddy & Dixie. Plus there's the fact that you literally should be pairing up your units the entire game (first game to let you do that).

Instead of simply being like Ice Climbers though, imagine them "summoning" each other. I had this idea of them calling each other out (via magic or whatever) to do a special move, sometimes switching places. For example, Chrom's Side-B could be summoning Lucina out to propel him forward into a sliding sword move. If you were to hold B however, Chrom would spin Lucina around and propel her forward to perform the move instead (then he'd disappear via magic). They could share the same specials in that sense, but have different properties and A-moves.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
The game isn't a reboot. They make reference to the original KI at every chance they can to the point of even using 8-bit sprites to show how different characters looked then and now.
It may keeps the story sure, but the game is basically a reboot in the sense that all the characters have a complete new personality. That's obvious.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
I'm not against her but I think they should've shown another character to generate more hype.
This is exactly what my perspective of Rosalina's debut is. I think showing off Mewtwo would have been a smarter choice.

Shroob

Sup?
It may keeps the story sure, but the game is basically a reboot in the sense that all the characters have a complete new personality. That's obvious.
They really didn't have a personality to begin with in the original game. Medusa was just a face on a wall for example.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

Definitely good. They took a rather boring character and made her into one of the most unique the franchise has seen yet.

Also, do you guys think we might have a reveal pattern (6 veterans, 1 newcomer) established? I'd argue that there's still a lot of super obvious veterans in the starting roster that have yet to covered (Yoshi, Metaknight, ZSS, Wario, Dedede, Zelda, ICs, Diddy, a Mother character, and another Pokemon character) so maybe they'll pick up the pace with reveals once the year flips over.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
That's my point.
That's like saying Sonic Adventure is a reboot because Sonic didn't have personality in Sonic 1.

Medusa also mentions her return in the first chapter, which means she's been beaten before, which was the NES Kid Icarus.

And with reveals, I'm honestly hoping something happens for Christmas. Either that or a Pokemon character on the 27th for when the Pokebank goes up.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I don't see the connection but I do think Rosalina's reveal yesterday did boost Bandana Dee and Cranky's chances since Sakurai does seem to be showing some favoritism towards characters playable in recent canon games.
I won't lie, after Rosalina's reveal, and seeing his return in Triple Deluxe, I'm filling good about his chances. I've always said Waddle Dee's biggest selling point is his moveset -- most of it can be emulated straight into Smash. He offers something no other character can, and was fun to play as in KRTDL, which is why I want him in Super Smash Bros; because he can make the roster better, regardless of some people's hang ups on the species vs. the specific character.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I won't lie, after Rosalina's reveal, and seeing his return in Triple Deluxe, I'm filling good about his chances. I've always said Waddle Dee's biggest selling point is his moveset -- most of it can be emulated straight into Smash. He offers something no other character can, and was fun to play as in KRTDL, which is why I want him in Super Smash Bros; because he can make the roster better, regardless of some people's hang ups on the species vs. the specific character.

I agree with this much. Spear is probably my favorite Kirby ability of all time next to bomb and his moveset could be so easily copy and pasted into Smash that it hurts though I can imagine the absolute explosion of butthurt that would ensue if he made the cut and Toad didn't.

As for reveals, we have at least 3 potential ones in the upcoming weeks. Zelda for ALBW on the 26th seems like a slam dunk and so does King Dedede for January 10th for Triple Deluxe. Diddy's a no brainer for February 21st and we'll most definitely see Yoshi by the end of April thanks to New Island. I'm not sure if there would be a tie in with Pokemon Bank though because it's technically not even a game.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Gameplay-wise I'm very happy with her addition, her moveset and playstyle both look great already. She seems to make heavy utilization of combos, (with the help of the Luma) so she's definitely going to be a character I try out ASAP. I'm also rather suprised how she is able to summon the Lumas to assist her as a second character, what with the issues prievously mentioned regarding the Ice Climbers and the 3DS. I'm glad to see those issues have been bypassed.

Personally I still would've preferred Bowser Jr., but I'm very satisfied with Rosalina.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I agree with this much. Spear is probably my favorite Kirby ability of all time next to bomb and his moveset could be so easily copy and pasted into Smash that it hurts though I can imagine the absolute explosion of butthurt that would ensue if he made the cut and Toad didn't.

As for reveals, we have at least 3 potential ones in the upcoming weeks. Zelda for ALBW on the 26th seems like a slam dunk and so does King Dedede for January 10th for Triple Deluxe. Diddy's a no brainer for February 21st and we'll most definitely see Yoshi by the end of April thanks to New Island. I'm not sure if there would be a tie in with Pokemon Bank though because it's technically not even a game.
People would be hurt regardless if Waddle Dee got in over character X, Y or Z.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
True but, characteristic wise, he's nearly identical to Toad but Toad has his own game, 4 playable canon appearances, 100+ game appearances, and nearly 30 years of history so I could easily see Toad fans tearing their hair out over it.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767

I love the bomb ability. Just so fun to blow everything up. <3

Hammer and Smash are also pretty fun. :3

As for Bandana Dee, he would be nice. I do support him.

Shroob

Sup?
The thing that makes Pokemon Bank special imo... Is that it's not a game. It's a yearly paid subscription fee, which has the chance to bring Nintendo a lot of money over a period of time.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I read the title on that...

i did not want to read it further.

answer: no. moving on.

@Kuma. i believe there is still plenty of room to speculate. else, would you mind offering/speculating what you believe each of her B moves are?

and NO MORE DUAL CHARACTERS! Diddy x Dixie... the only way i would like this is if their tag system is like DKC2 and the one not fighting cannot get hit... they become a background character and follow the player wherever they go... an Ice climbers situation is too much like Ice Climbers.
We saw at least three of her specials. Luma Summon , Launch Star, and Gravity. Luma Summon may also include the ability to "drop off" a Luma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom