• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Venus hangs out in the shadows; in a suit, tie, and sunglasses with a black notebook and a deadpan expression. Silently taking names...silently....watching...

I think rules should be changes only through agreement with both opponents AND referees (moon and dis).

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mother is one of my favorite series. I loved Earthbound and Mother 0.

I never got the finish Mother 3 though. My computer that had it fried

If any of you haven't played it yet, I highly recommend Earthbound. It's god a quirky sense of humor and a good use of pop culture references.

It's also a Japanese game made in their impression of what America is like. It's based on like the 1940's, 50s to some degree

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
True on that, I also like the farm type areas I saw along the way (I was checking out the Lanhammer tourney which is why I went north) and while i was driving i was thinking to myself, should i go to Livermore just 4 teh lulz...? in the end i decided not to :p
You're just jealous Randy Johnson isn't from your town. :p

Or that your town doesn't have one of the biggest wind mill farms in the world.

Or that your town doesn't have it's own element.

Or that your town wasn't the first place to have a functioning nuclear power plant.

Or that your town doesn't have a laser that is essentially a Death Star and blew up a moon.

Or that your town doesn't have over 3,000 nuclear weapons, more than any other location on Planet Earth (that point sucks; never drink the water on the North end of the railroad tracks, because it's got small traces of uranium).

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
MOTHER 1 = Earthbound Zero. you better fix that, bro Incarnate.

I highly recommend MOTHER 3.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I think rules should be changes only through agreement with both opponents AND referees (moon and dis).
I vote Venus to be the official of this here fine pro wrestling/Muay Thai/soccer/baseball/rugby/dance contest/reality TV show competition mix! :shades:

I can be the fan service. ;)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Swampasaur... let's finish this.

FINAL ROUND - MOTHER

Argument: The Mother series is irrelevant to Nintendo and their history.

* When Mother was first released, DECADES AGO, it was released only in Japan. When Mother 3 was released a DECADE ago, it was released only in Japan. That is ALREADY a bad sign. Considering Japan's history of having only Japanese games being either very, very good (TMNT), or very, very bad (Transformers), it doesn't help Mother's chances when it wasn't even considered marketable enough to be released in the United States. THAT'S where the money is, in the United States, where it has the greatest video game marketing in the world, where it's particular audience and console economy is hugely important to the financial success of Nintendo's games. That's where all the big titles get released, Like Mario and Zelda. So why wasn't Mother 1 and 3 considered marketable enough to appeal to an American audience? You copied and pasted from your original FE debate? XD Also.

Mother 1: Too hard, like the first couple of FE games.

Mother 3: The humor was a bit...out there... If a character like Tingle is unpopular here, then the Magypsies would have caused problems.

* When Earthbound was FINALLY released to North America, it was decades later from its original release. It took DECADES for a VC release, when titles like DK and Metroid have already arrived on VC. If Earthbound was so marketable, wouldn't it have been released much earlier on VC. And besides, where's Mother and Mother 3?

Earthbound wasn't released until recently because of licensing issues. Mainly with music. But look at how it was treated when it finally got here. A simple VC title was treated on par with a normal release.

Mother 1 has never been translated so it won't be here for VC. Same with Mother 3.

* Mother sales have never been the greatest, if even respectably good, but GOD they have been embarrassing. Mother only came out to very decent reviews and below-average sale. Earthbound BOMBED humiliatingly, selling well-below even below-average games, due to a HORRIBLE marketing campaign "This game stinks!". That's pretty low standards when compared to Kirby or Donkey Kong, who make millions per game. For the love of all that is decent... WHERE ARE YOUR SOURCES?!?!

* Rating for the series are pretty below-average:

Mother: However, the game did get its fair share of criticism. Jeremy Parish from 1UP.com states, "the game balance is completely ridiculous, relying far too heavily on picking up better weapons and grinding for far too long.

Earthbound: A point of contention between critics were the simplistic graphics. In All RPG's review of the game, the graphics were described as "horrid,"[26] while Nintendojo and 1UP enjoyed them, with 1UP going so far as to say "regardless of what anyone tells you, the graphics are awesome." 1UP also criticized the title's similarities to Dragon Quest, but in the end declared EarthBound a game "worth experiencing."[3] Nintendojo and Gamasutra also criticized the similarities to Dragon Quest, with Gamasutra declaring EarthBound an "unabashed Dragon Quest clone..."
Mother 3: She explained that its low ranking on the list was due to it being hard to understand for those who cannot read hiragana.[25]GamePro attributed their continued use of the Game Boy Advance in part to Mother 3, concluding that it "may be the GBA's best RPG".[26]GameSpy's Andrew Alfonso praised its "interesting and entertaining gameplay", "nice visuals", and "fast-paced gameplay", but felt that it did not "appear to be an incredibly deep game".

Review scores
PublicationScore
Allgame
[25]
All RPG 9.2[26]
Famitsu 34/40[27]
Gamer's Mark 8/10[28]
Nintendojo 9/10[12]
Game Force 9.5/10[29]
VicioJuegos 92%[30]
IGN
9.0/10[31]
Yeah. Below average my ass.

* The Mother series is DEAD. After only 3 games, all released within a span of decades... the series quietly died... without EVER having international releases for Mother 1 and 3. FAIL. :facepalm: It was the end of a trilogy. Is Lord of the Rings dead because the trilogy ended? It wasn't due to poor sales. It was due to the end of the story happening.

* Marketing for the series always failed. Consider:

Mother : Mother was scheduled to be released in North America as Earth Bound in the fall of 1991, but marketing delayed and eventually removed the game from the release schedule, putting it on indefinite hold. The game was again considered for release in 1994[citation needed], shortly before the release of its sequel, Mother 2: Gyiyg no Gyakushū. However, it was decided to pass on the release of Earth Bound and to localizeMother 2 under the titleEarthBound Also never released outside of Japan.

Earthbound: Already explained it: Despite its poor sales figures...

Mother 3: Never released outside of Japan.

* Mother is not a household name to casual players of Nintendo. If we are talking about Smash, then Mario, DK, Pikachu, Link, Samus, Pit, and others are more recognizable. Ness, though? Lucas? Nobody knows him. The series is relatively small-scaled and almost cult-like in its niche. Going back to SSB, if Sakurai found them to be marketable enough, why wasn't Ness showcased at E3 in the SSB4? Because he wasn't well-known enough like the other cast to make it in. Copy and paste? Lol.

* Almost every Nintendo title, from Mario to Capt. Falcon, has been on a top 100 list of greatest games of all time, ranging from IGN to GameInformer to GameStop. Earthbound, though? Barely ever considered, but only because of its cult-like fanbase of fanatics. With that said, Fire Emblem isn't even considered a game worth playing among the likes of Mario, DK, and Pikachu - even Capt. Falcon and NESS. <---- LOL Did you even proofread?

Now that I posted my arguments to be replied to, you have to post yours so I can reply to it. That's the rules. :glare: You even copied this?

These are some of my major arguments against the illogical idea that Mother Emblem series is important to Nintendo's history, both financially and historically. If anybody possess the brain power to intellectually think for themselves, they would see why Mother isn't important to Nintendo AT ALL. That is the TRUTH. :)
Due to colors acting weird I just went and underlined my rebuttals.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Wait a minute folks, we're reviewing the tapes and it turns out Divine has made many illegal moves. Apparently he isn't in control of the rule book!

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Venus hangs out in the shadows; in a suit, tie, and sunglasses with a black notebook and a deadpan expression. Silently taking names...silently....watching...

What about me? Am I chopped liver or somethin'?

John Madden

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Divine, this is a test that-

And to go with that Lord of the Rings GIF, I'm posting the theme music of a boss from Twilight Princess that greatly resembles Balrog, the creature that Gandalf is fighting in that GIF.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
You're just jealous Randy Johnson isn't from your town. :p

Or that your town doesn't have one of the biggest wind mill farms in the world.

Or that your town doesn't have it's own element.

Or that your town wasn't the first place to have a functioning nuclear power plant.

Or that your town doesn't have a laser that is essentially a Death Star and blew up a moon.

Or that your town doesn't have over 3,000 nuclear weapons, more than any other location on Planet Earth (that point sucks; never drink the water on the North end of the railroad tracks, because it's got small traces of uranium).
Randy? yeah im a dodgers fan bro, (eff the d-bags)
I do love wind mills...
Lol
Yeah like I wanna be near a nuclear plant that could possibly melt down
Too bad you'll spend $$$$$$ for one shot :troll:
I thought merica wanted nukes to... go away?
eww I dont drink tap water... ever (if tap water was what you were talking about).

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yes, I like that idea MUCH BETTER.

*****************Attention*****************

The rules have slightly changed. After the final round ends, unless Swampasaur forfeits the entire match up instead, then we will determine the winner through a poll! That's right, a poll!

Bring it on, Swampasaur. Show me your best. :smirk:
Change the rules because you're not winning?

Sleazy if you ask me.

I say no.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Randy? yeah im a dodgers fan bro, (eff the d-bags)
I do love wind mills...
Lol
Yeah like I wanna be near a nuclear plant that could possibly melt down
Too bad you'll spend $$$$$$ for one shot :troll:
I thought merica wanted nukes to... go away?
eww I dont drink tap water... ever (if tap water was what you were talking about).
You mean the guy who won a ring while you won none=???
They make a lot of energy.
It's either number 116 or 117.
Only 2 nuclear power plants ever had that issue. You're more likely to be killed in a car accident, which happens a lot in LA. Also, if I was a terrorist, just saying, I was would totally bomb LA's freeway system if I wanted a ton of casualties. You could kill tens of thousands easily, seeing as how the freeways have no security from hidden bombs, and how crowded those freeways are.
Actually, the energy is fairly cheap to produce.
The nukes there used to be almost 9,000 nukes (not kidding). My grandfather used to work with some people at the lab, and he had all kinds of crazy now declassified government documents on it I stumbled upon, and I realized I needed to burn. Of course, this was a few months before it was declassified! :laugh:
The rest of the tap water is fine, because it's from up North.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I know the difference between China and Japan because I'm part Japanese

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
The current score is:
Divine: 1
Swampasaur: 3

Swamp retaliates with grammatical error blows and "copy & pasting" gut punches.
This isn't looking good for Divine!

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
........ you win..... :urg:

But ONLY because I'll let you win. I'll be the bigger man and let you thinking you 'won' this one. Because I have integrity and honor, I'll be the big man here and say, despite all evidence to the contrary, you win. Hope you feel better... :rolleyes: Because clearly, despite my superior intelligence, inarguable arguments, and overall awesomeness, I'll just let you think you 'won' and call this a day.

Whatever. I'll be back in October.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
You mean the guy who won a ring while you won none=???
They make a lot of energy.
It's either number 116 or 117.
Only 2 nuclear power plants ever had that issue. You're more likely to be killed in a car accident, which happens a lot in LA. Also, if I was a terrorist, just saying, I was would totally bomb LA's freeway system if I wanted a ton of casualties. You could kill tens of thousands easily, seeing as how the freeways have no security from hidden bombs, and how crowded those freeways are.
Actually, the energy is fairly cheap to produce.
The nukes there used to be almost 9,000 nukes (not kidding). My grandfather used to work with some people at the lab, and he had all kinds of crazy now declassified government documents on it I stumbled upon, and I realized I needed to burn. Of course, this was a few months before it was declassified! :laugh:
The rest of the tap water is fine, because it's from up North.
Oh don't worry the dodgers will win it this year, and have the $$$ to keep it up.
I see

"If I was a terrorist" lmao you sir are hilarious. omg I am so saving that quote...

True
Wow interesting
You guys sure get mad about the whole stealing water thing don't ya :laugh:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
What about me? Am I chopped liver or somethin'?

John Madden
Sorry, John. It's not everyday we are graced by a man such as yourself;)

But there should be some form of agreement between participants. As well, fmstarting and finishing rounds should be handled by refs and newscasters -not Divine.

Edit: Well that was fun.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
I can honestly say I didn't see this coming! A fighter who came out with so much spirit, so much vigor, is throwing in the towel!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I guess I should make my case as to why Mother is important.

The argument is different here.

Mother isn't the big series FE is.

Here it's a niche series. In Japan it's a somewhat large one that ended a while ago.

Now let's say some things.

Mother is a successful and popular series.

It never reached the amount of sales some other Nintendo series did. But it is successful. All three games made a profit. So it is successful in that regard.

All three Mother games are beloved though. The majority of people who have played them love the series and they are regarded as some of the best RPGs of all time. Lucas got into smash via popularity and the Mother series' reception in smash has been very positive.

Will I argue that Mother is huge? No.

Is it a beloved series that deserves to be remembered though.

This is significantly shorter than last time, but I'm kinda tired. We close to being done?

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Goodbye, then,
Honestly Divine, you have determination (of sorts) but your main problem is that you can be too damn stubborn and defensive with an 'I'm right' attitude. Not a good combination. Please try to be more accepting and understanding next time, I for one look forward to it.

Also,

SWAMPASAUR WINS! SUPER COMBO FINISH!

EDIT; Never mind, you edited. Goodbye idiotic douchebag.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

But ONLY because I'll let you win. I'll be the bigger man and let you thinking you 'won' this one. Because I have integrity and honor, I'll be the big man here and say, despite all evidence to the contrary, you win. Hope you feel better... :rolleyes: Because clearly, despite my superior intelligence, inarguable arguments, and overall awesomeness, I'll just let you think you 'won' and call this a day.

That's kind of what most people who argue with you do to you. :troll:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I can honestly say I didn't see this coming! A fighter who came out with so much spirit, so much vigor, is throwing in the towel!
A Great Match indeed.

Divine came out strong and confident, but just lacked the fundamentals. Truly one for the books Dis.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

Lol.

You trolling brah?

Cuz if you were, this lead to a lot of laughs! XD Thanks for the fun!

Can I put the fact that I won in my sig? :troll:

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
This was one of the greatest intensifying matches of the season, a dinosaur couldn't even handle it. Back to you, Disfunkshunal

I hope Deity can make it in October, he was a great player tonight.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
A Great Match indeed.

Divine came out strong and confident, but just lacked the fundamentals. Truly one for the books Dis.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

It looks like a rematch might be set for October. You'll know the details as soon as we do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom