• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Truth be told, I'd rather have a Nintendo Direct dedicated wholly to Smash 4 instead.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Truth be told, I'd rather have a Nintendo Direct dedicated wholly to Smash 4 instead.
I agree; with all this hubbub and now the E3 conference being cut down into smaller bits, I'd prefer they just give us a big Smash-centric Nintendo Direct. The Directs are awesome, and I'm sure they could talk about Sm4sh for half an hour. Seriously, can we just have a whole loaf of bread now? These crumbs are bothersome!

D

Deleted member

A Smash-centric Nintendo Direct would be the rice that feeds us birds.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I'm excited that soon I'll probably have enough reason to partake in this thread again.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
NOA? CEO.... Seems like an odd choice.

It seems like a fair trade though. Iwata doesn't deserve to get fired, but he also shouldn't be president anymore. Also, not being changre of the Japanese branch brings hopes that someone more competent may take the lead now.

On the drawings, the only one you guys haven't already seen in Psycho Incarnate's:

Well, that certainly does look like me when I'm not attached to my robotic body

bobadz

Smash Ace
There are two things that annoy me about how fans are reacting.

1: Saying Iwata is solely to blame for Nintendo not being the console leader. (Yamauchi is just as guilty,)

2: Ignoring how the ps3 had similar launch problems,

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I personally like Iwata

He's made some mistake, but he sticks to what he believes in and doesn't give in to pressure from opposition. Even if that opposition is stock holders

D

Deleted member

Well, I said I'd update once we hit 1000. And it seems Christmas came sooner than expected:

Who are your favorite Fire Emblem Lords?

(you can choose more than one)

Lucina 13% 448 votes

Ike 13% 448 votes

Lyn 12% 413 votes

Hector 12% 413 votes

Chrom 11% 379 votes

Ephriam 9% 310 votes

Marth 7% 241 votes

Eirkia 4% 138 votes

Roy 4% 138 votes

Eliwood 4% 138 votes

Micaiah 4% 138 votes

Sigurd 3% 103 votes

Leif 2% 69 votes

Selica 1% 35 votes

Selis 1% 35 votes

Alm 1% 35 votes

Total votes: 3443 Voters: 1003

Keep in mind that the votes beside each character are mathematical approximations, not tallies.

Lucina actually held her own as the most popular ahead of Ike for quite a bit, that's why I placed her ahead of Ike. It's very surprising for me to see her as the MOST popular lord in the West so far. Anyone mind clueing me in as to why she's so liked?

Lyn also managed to stay ahead of Hector for some time, though I wish I could have had tallies in this case just to see the final results as it was a close contest between the two.

Other than that, you can pretty much garner the rest yourself. Alm is in his own tier because I think he literally may have gotten only 1 vote. For the longest time he was at 0%.

I must say I'm pleasantly surprised to find Lyn to be tied for 2nd most popular lord in the West.

In regard to future updates, I may do one at 2000, though the resuts of the poll have stayed largely the same for a good 700 voters, so I don't think we'll see many changes really. I think this might very well be the general opinion across the West, lest anyone else has any suggestions on where else to post it. I don't wanna extrapolate, but I think we've hit a nice and varied sample.

Anyway, thoughts? Analysis?

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
On the topic of both Iwata and E3 memes,I still wonder why they hold fruits and vegetables in important videos.
And I feel positive about Iwata,just not specially positive.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I will do a brief analysis because I don't have the time, but I have a very extensive knowledge on FE.

Ike:
I would say Ike is probably higher than Lucina is (its dumb that there is not specific amounts). Ike being the most popular lord among Western FE fans is not a shock considering he is regarded as being the strongest lord in the entire series, and is the only lord aside from Marth to be a lord in more than one game, and to have both of them released internationally. Ike is also very likable as a character, at least in FE9.

Lucina:
I do believe she is behind Ike in popularity. I think a big reason why she is as high as she is among FE fans is because FE13 is still very fresh in their mind. Most people who played FE13 liked her as a unit and a character better than Chrom. Her strong design similarities to Marth probably help a bit as well. She is very much riding on the accolades for FE13 though, and she is definitely the strongest female lord in the entire series.

Hector:
Definitely the strongest international lord after Ike. FE7 is probably the most popular international FE (though FE13 possibly could have changed that, though we will have to wait until the long-term to see). In most polls I have seen for FE7 and FE series in general, Hector is usually ranked as the most popular of the FE7 lords. He being among the best units in FE7 and having a very brash personality which is popular among Westerners contributes to his popularity.

Lyn:
Lyn is less popular than Hector, though definitely within the Top 5 most popular lords in the West. Like Hector, she rides on the fact that FE7 is the most popular international FE. She is not considered to be as good a unit as Hector, so that is the reason why her popularity is overall less than him.

Chrom:
Chrom being as high as he is probably due the high accolades of FE13 and it overall being very fresh in people's minds. Although Chrom is considered to be a very good unit in FE13, many people who played it complained about him being "bland" or "uninteresting". His popularity will probably fall below that of Ephraim among Western FE fans in the long-run.

Ephraim:
Like Hector and Ike, lots of FE fans love Ephraim for being a great unit. The only problem is that Sacred Stones is regarded as the weakest internationally released FE aside from Shadow Dragon. If FE8 were regarded better by FE fans, he probably would be on par with Hector in terms of popularity.

Marth:
Shadow Dragon was the least liked of the international FE games, so it would follow that he would be the least liked international lord that shares the spotlight by himself. Its too bad FE3 and FE12 were not ever released internationally, else Marth would definitely be much higher than he is. Marth is a good unit in FE11 and did not have to worry about being overshadowed by other lords like Eirika, Eliwood, and Micaiah were in their games.

Roy:
FE6 is probably the most played Japan-only FE game by Western FE fans due to the fact that it is much more accessible than every other Japan-only FE due to its strong similarities to the other two GBA FE games. Roy is the highest Japan-only lord for this reason. I would say less than 10% of Western FE fans have even played a single Japan-only FE game.

Eliwood:
Eliwood is perhaps the most underrated lord in the entire series (or at least among the international ones), both as an unit and a character. He is regarded as being a better unit than Lyn, and on Hector Mode, Eliwood is even debateably better than Hector. Eliwood not standing out as much as Hector and Lyn is probably the primary reason behind him being far behind the other two FE7 lords.

Eirika:
Eirika is a case of a being overshadowed by a much stronger lord within her own game. The fact that FE8 is not as well-received as the rest of the internationally release FE games aside from Shadow Dragon. She is also just not very interesting as a lord to most people, with her being a female version of the typical rapier-using lord arche-type being her most peculiar attribute.

Micaiah:
Micaiah, like Eliwood and Eirika, has the problem of having to share her game with the monster that is Ike. It does not help that she is often regarded as the worst international lord in terms of being a unit, and is often denigrated as being a "mary sue". There is also the problem that FE10 is not as highly regarded as FE7, FE9, and FE13 are among Western FE fans.

Sigurd:
Sigurd being as low as he is is proof that very, very few Western FE fans have even played the Japan-only FE games. Sigurd is often regarded as the strongest lord in the series next to Ike, and he hails from FE4 which is often regarded by the most hardcore of the Western FE fans as the best of the Japan-only FE games. FE4 is probably the most played Japan-only FE game after FE6. Still looking at how low Sigurd is, I would probably now say that 5% or less of Western FE fans have even played the Japan-only FE games.

Leaf:
Leaf is a curious case. He is yet another Japan-only lord, but he also was a unit in more than one title in the series (he is a non-lord in FE4, and a lord in FE5). He is one of the weakest lords in the series (perhaps the single most weakest), so that partially explains why he is lower than Sigurd. However, despite being a weak lord, he is very popular among the few Western FE fans that have played FE5 due to the few having played FE5 end up really liking it (I am an example of this). Due to its intense difficulty, even less people have played FE5 compared to FE4 and FE6.

Celice:
Celice is yet another example of a lord being overshadowed by a much stronger one within his own game. He is probably the most underrated lord in the series next to Eliwood. While he does not start off as good as his father Sigurd, due to his very high growths and receiving the Tyrfing earlier, he ends up becoming a stronger unit than even Sigurd by the end of Generation 2. Celice's very effeminate appearance also probably hurts his popularity, even among the few that have played the Japan-only FE games.

Cellica:
The Famicom FEs are probably the least accessible of the Japan-only FE games due to how dated they are. However like with most FE's with more than one lord, there is one that is clearly more popular than the other. Cellica is more popular than her co-star Alm due to being regarded as a better unit and due to her being more "interesting" since she is a mage, while Alm is just another sword-wielding lord.

Alm:
FE2 is probably the least played Japan-only FE among Western FE fans. He is also overshadowed by Cellica, which explains why he is virtually non-existent to Western FE fans.​

vicgur

Smash Ace
Well, we should expect a friggin' awesome Nintendo Direct, then.

I don't think that's a good strategy. In E3, the whole world [including Sony and XBox fans] is looking at them. You get all the attention you need/want.
Nintendo Direct is exclusive to Nintendo fans. Not everybody watches the Directs...
Well, I hope they know what they're doing.
Also, I'll be really excited to see the next WiiU Direct.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
EDIT: Instead I'm taking this post elsewhere.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
hmmm actually upon thinking about it more it maybe a smarter move Ninty gets critics and analysist negativly soo much E3 is media covered all over maybe them splitting there announcements up into small nintendo directs would be less stressful and more comfortable for them also it could give em more time to give us more info/gameplay in these juicy directs ! them being more gameplay focused then pointless gimmicky ****e...

also it is said there gonna be doing a few directs ''Around'' E3 time so i guess theres a realistic chance we will get a N-Direct before E3! maybe in may and like 2 or 3 shortly after E3 between june-August.

damn gonna miss the live crowd reaction to Sm4shes E3 Reveal.. there truly is nothing like it...looks like most probly its not gonna happen...E3 is going down the drain..it has for years its not exciting anymore too much bull* analysis talk that gamers dont care about only devs and patcher trolls...also full of Bull* media gimmicy ****...less devs showcase at E3 too peepz dont take E3 serious no more...its a joke...i couldsee it dying all together in a year or 2...

Reguardless imo Sony & MS are gonna dominate this years E3 mediaishly lol.

Also what about Retro Studios project?

just hope that the Smash reveal aint one of the later N-Directs...ugh we have already waited sooo long...this up hill battle feel like the endless stairs of super mario 64 ..we all running to get to the news but never getting no where...

Smash...were are you...we need you...

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
were only gonna get pictures of Smash 4 i bet just like wind waker hd, after all, didn't they say that were gonna just get pictures?

also, i'll be at E3 but i'm not press or retail or any of that junk that gets you access to the backroom business. I HOPE the smaller nintendo booths will let me play Mario Kart U and X... IF THEY HAVE X, I WILL SELL MY SOUL TO BATMAN! I really want to compare the graphical fidelity to the likes of the greater accomplishments of the PS3. if SMASH BROS has gameplay (i don't even have to play it, i just want to see) AND they announce the castration of tripping, I WILL SELL MY SOUL AND BODY TO BATMAN!!

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I'm very split on this decision. Guess I'll just have to see how Nintendo plays this out.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Isn't Microsoft doing a presentation before E3 to unveil their new system?

If that's the case, Sony might dominate E3

I think it shows none of them particularly care about E3 anymore

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Well, we should expect a friggin' awesome Nintendo Direct, then.I don't think that's a good strategy. In E3, the whole world [including Sony and XBox fans] is looking at them. You get all the attention you need/want.Nintendo Direct is exclusive to Nintendo fans. Not everybody watches the Directs...Well, I hope they know what they're doing.Also, I'll be really excited to see the next WiiU Direct.
E3 has always been a hobbyist convention, it isn't as though they're going to drop off a cliff. Nintendo targeting gamers through Nintendo Directs really change very little other than the traditional physical delivery and audience. Or will people really miss sitting through 15 min demonstrations of games the majority watching don't care about? Nintendo is allowing themselves the ability to deliver the right information to the right audience without trying to mix it altogether to fit in under an hour. Most of the media coverage coming out of E3 is hands on anyways, so little changes. Not that big of a deal.

Also, the word "screen" also includes video in Japanese. Stop worrying.

Also also, since X is confirmed to be coming to the West, im sure the game will be at E3. What capacity depends upon development.

Typing on the Wii U is pretty slick.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I enjoy Nintendo Directs so much that I almost don't care about Nintendo's change in E3 format. I'm just worried if this will mess up my E3 bingo sheet I've been doing for the past two years on another forums.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Recently I realized that luigi in melee and mario in mario 64 were saying "Let's-a-go" when all this time I thought they were saying "Let's Pickle"

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No, it sounds exactly like they are saying Let's Pickle. I was always like wtf?

I looked it up online. A lot of people heard that

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
kinda funny story to because still to this day me & my bro argue if mario says

''Welcome to Mario Kart'' - Me
or
''Wake up to Mario Kart'' - Him

on the Mario Kart 64 Title screen...

xD

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
Random question, but this seems like the thread that gets the most traffic.

Any word on when the new Wii U update is coming today? I heard it was supposed to be today, just no idea when.

vicgur

Smash Ace
Nintendo won't be able to convert Microsoft fans and Sony fans into Nintendo fans.
...what? I never said they'd turn into Nintendo fans. I just think that's an extra attention Nintendo would like to have.

E3 has always been a hobbyist convention, it isn't as though they're going to drop off a cliff. Nintendo targeting gamers through Nintendo Directs really change very little other than the traditional physical delivery and audience. Or will people really miss sitting through 15 min demonstrations of games the majority watching don't care about? Nintendo is allowing themselves the ability to deliver the right information to the right audience without trying to mix it altogether to fit in under an hour. Most of the media coverage coming out of E3 is hands on anyways, so little changes. Not that big of a deal.
Maybe you're right.
Don't get me wrong, I really like that decision, as I really like the Directs. I just think that might not be the smartest decision to make, in general.
I don't really know how to explain that properly. So here's a cat Samus.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
i just hope that Sm4sh is revealed by the time E3 is over like it was supposed to be either by N-Direct or whatever...just want news on it for god sake...

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Double Dash is the best in the series by far. Partner swaps and character specific specials. C'mon that's exciting stuff right there.

Anyways, I'm not disappointed in hearing this really. Although it prevents them from making a big flashy show which is always exhilarating, I can't help but feel that it is unnecessary really. We're still getting our Smash Brothers reveal one way or another, I just want to see it, don't care too much how.

Dat Fox.

Also on the Brinstar stage there was like fifteen seconds of Jigglypuff just standing there doing nothing. :laugh:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Random question, but this seems like the thread that gets the most traffic.

Any word on when the new Wii U update is coming today? I heard it was supposed to be today, just no idea when.
Well, the Wii U eShop is going under maintenance from 8 to 10 pm EST so I'm guessing sometime after that.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Those "Luigi wins by doing absolutely nothing" vids are hilarious. I have a few online matches that I saved where I'm Luigi and, well, I've won by doing nothing.

Here's a Brawl one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom