• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
I think there's a spammer that keeps creating thread

Someone keeps making threads like that from time to time, but he seems to be going full-force now. I suggested him to move to GameFaQs since they would be better bait, but they just won't listen.

Just ignore them and don't click any of his links.

D

Deleted member

This. Entirely this. How tragic is it that we're treating possibly the only other new 3rd party as an awful inevitability that no one wants, but everyone expects simply because "he's famous"?
That's because he's not very exciting as a fighting game character.

When we look at 3rd party, there are SO many options that are much more fitting.

Plus, his connections to Nintendo aren't that big, I mean, I dunno my PacMan so someone can correct me on this, but did he ever have a major Nintendo release that has been hailed as awesome?

I mean, Twin Snakes is a remake of the original Metal Gear Solid game, the one that kinda reinvented the series and set the standard not only for the Stealth Genre, but for Story-telling in vidya. Furthermore, Twin Snakes is a goddamn good remake of MGS1, so Snake's inclusion is rather fitting. Also, I'm pretty sure ports of the first two Metal Gear games are on Nintendo consoles as well.

The best I can think of for PacMan is that his design was an inspiration for Mario's design (though I never got evidence on this rumor).

I mean, just looking at Namco alone, there are tons of other choices I'd much rather see get in before Pac-Man, from a gameplay standpoint of course, and the deal is, a lot of people neglect that because "hurr durr, boring is subjective." Yes, as a stand-alone it is, but in contrast it's not. I'm sure we can all agree that Motorcross is a much more exciting activity than fishing, even if you prefer the latter over the former. And the deal is Sakurai is giving a huge look at what characters can canonically do before adding anyone in this time around.

MegaMan, while tough to work with, had TONS to work with, so it's obvious he'd get in. I dunno, maybe Sakurai can get a stroke of inspiration with PacMan that neither me nor Namco were able to get, but I doubt he'd ever add him simply due to his importance to the industry. Especially when he's basically washed up. Smash isn't some trophy wall for characters, it's a fighting game first and foremost, everything else comes second imo.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He can use moves inspired from old 8-bit Namco games, like Dig-Dug, Galaga etc... (Kind of like how the Villager uses some moves from other Nintendo games like Balloon Fighter and Punch-Out!!)
I'd like to clarify something about this; Both Balloon Fighter and Punch-Out!! were in the original Animal Crossing game. Villager is just referencing things that has been in his games. Meaning that while Balloon Fighter kind of didn't have much of a chance anyway, Punch-Out!! representation by Little Mac is still a possibility. Likewise, we don't know how much he's referencing. We could still get a Mii for all we know(with a full moveset based upon their games). Albeit, Wii Fit Trainer kind of does a good job of representing the general Wii in itself, even if it's one specific game series.

A lot keep thinking the Bowling Ball and the gloves were from Wii Sports, but we actually see items related to that in AC too. We see Bowling Pins and a Ball Return, as well as a Sandbag and a Speedbag. It should be obvious what would logically be something he'd do thanks to those.

Outside of Balloon Fight, Villager isn't automatically repping any other series with his moves. He may or may not be, but it's a plausible theory, not an actual fact.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
He is the definition of a character that's still around because "zOmG nOsTaLgIA."
Smash relies on both modern games that are currently available on current gen's consoles and zOmG nOsTaLgIA. Pac-Man has both.

D

Deleted member

Pac-Man in the Robert De Niro of the video game world; there... I said it. Amazing early career, now makes a buttload of pointless appearances as if to say "hey, remember how cool I USED to be?"
Bull****, PacMan had only ONE iconic game, his arcade game.

De Niro has tons of movies that are priceless gems, from the Goodfellas, to Taxi Driver. And even today, he's still an awesome actor, much like Jack Nicholson. Also, De Niro was never the face of Cinema like PacMan was for vidya.

Find a better analogy bro.

If anything I'd say PacMan is like Elvis, ODed on the pooper because he washed up, and now his fans try to keep him alive even though he's gone for good.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'd like to clarify something about this; Both Balloon Fighter and Punch-Out!! were in the original Animal Crossing game. Villager is just referencing things that has been in his games. Meaning that while Balloon Fighter kind of didn't have much of a chance anyway, Punch-Out!! representation by Little Mac is still a possibility. Likewise, we don't know how much he's referencing. We could still get a Mii for all we know(with a full moveset based upon their games). Albeit, Wii Fit Trainer kind of does a good job of representing the general Wii in itself, even if it's one specific game series.

A lot keep thinking the Bowling Ball and the gloves were from Wii Sports, but we actually see items related to that in AC too. We see Bowling Pins and a Ball Return, as well as a Sandbag and a Speedbag. It should be obvious what would logically be something he'd do thanks to those.

Outside of Balloon Fight, Villager isn't automatically repping any other series with his moves. He may or may not be, but it's a plausible theory, not an actual fact.
Well was never thinking/ nor implying that just because the Villager uses moves that may reference other games, that it is an automatic nail in the coffin for those characters. I understand that there are loads of items and trinkets that call back to other games in Animal Crossing, and in SSB4 they do just that: Call back to other games.

That's one way I see what Pac-Man's possible moveset can be. Maybe it was just poor word choice on my part.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well was never thinking that just because the Villager uses moves that may reference other games, that it is an automatic nail in the coffin. I understand that there are loads of items and trinkets that call back to other games, and in SSB4 they do just that: Call back to other games.

That's one way I see what Pac-Man's possible moveset can be. Maybe it was just poor word choice on my part.
My point was the only game Villager is referencing besides Animal Crossing so far is definitely Balloon Fight. He may be referencing other series, however, let's be honest, you could find those games in the GameCube game anyway, which the Villager can play, so... yeah. It's a leap of logic to think he is referencing Wii Sports without any statements from Sakurai or explanations. His character profile, once we get it, could explain that, though. As of now, it's just all AC thus far.

Pac-Man could do that though. I wouldn't mind if he referenced some of the other Namco-Bandai games itself, like maybe an attack where he swings Nightmare's giant sword as a Smash move, or does the Rising Tempest from Lloyd, etc.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Smash relies on both modern games that are currently available on current gen's consoles and zOmG nOsTaLgIA. Pac-Man has both.
But Pac-Man rides nostalgia like a morbidly obese person rides a Rascal around Wal-Mart. That is pretty much his appeal. Aside from that, he's an exceptionally plain character with no noteworthy development. As much flak as I'll probably get for saying this, I'd rather see Sora in Smash Bros than Pac-Man. In my opinion, just about any other third party character is more interesting than Pac-Man. Again, I think he has a decent shot despite my distaste for him but I reeeeeeeally wish this wasn't the case. Thinking about him in Smash kind of makes me cringe and make an Excalibur face, to be honest...

D

Deleted member

But Pac-Man rides nostalgia like a morbidly obese person rides a Rascal around Wal-Mart. That is pretty much his appeal. Aside from that, he's an exceptionally plain character with no noteworthy development. As much flak as I'll probably get for saying this, I'd rather see Sora in Smash Bros than Pac-Man. In my opinion, just about any other third party character is more interesting than Pac-Man. Again, I think he has a decent shot despite my distaste for him but I reeeeeeeally wish this wasn't the case. Thinking about him in Smash kind of makes me cringe and make an Excalibur face, to be honest...
>having to choose between Sora and PacMan

brb, commiting Sudoku

Seriously though, only way to make it worse is to add Cloud and Nurutu to that list.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If we wanted a character that can fit into the "dull unwarranted character" archetype, might I suggest Chrom?

inb4 Chrom Defense Force being rump ravaged.

D

Deleted member

If we wanted a character that can fit into the "dull unwarranted character" archetype, might I suggest Chrom?

inb4 Chrom Defense Force being rump ravaged.
Can we compile a list of boring unwarranted characters with unreasonable support?

We got PacMan and Chrom on there, who else can we add?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Plus, his connections to Nintendo aren't that big, I mean, I dunno my PacMan so someone can correct me on this, but did he ever have a major Nintendo release that has been hailed as awesome?
Pac-Man's connections to Nintendo:

- Pac-Man games on NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS
- Mario Kart Arcade GP games feature Pac-Man characters as playable characters
- Miyamoto made Pac-Man Vs. for the Gamecube
- Miyamoto's favorite video game character is Pac-Man

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Can we compile a list of boring unwarranted characters with unreasonable support?

We got PacMan and Chrom on there, who else can we add?
I'd say Ryu(Street Fighter), but he's already de-confirmed by default.

FYI, Sora is much more interesting, but kind of hard to get in since, you know, he's probably owned by Disney and Square-Enix. Makes it a bit unrealistic, right?

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

There's this too. There has been a decent number of crossovers over the years that make it almost inevitable at this point which is why I wait for his announcement with the same amount of anticipation as receiving a watermelon sized suppository.

D

Deleted member

Add Geno. :troll:
Lel

I honestly don't care about Geno, but I think he'd make a decent fighter

Yeah, but any notable games, like release that are like "WOW, that's a must play game!"

Also, good thing Sakurai isn't Miyamoto.

I'd say Ryu(Street Fighter), but he's already de-confirmed by default.

FYI, Sora is much more interesting, but kind of hard to get in since, you know, he's probably owned by Disney and Square-Enix. Makes it a bit unrealistic, right?
Yeah, Ryu is about as boring as they come, but he doesn't have any real support.

As for Sora, yeah, him and Cloud aren't boring per-say, I'm just put off by them for other reasons. Notably, their rabid and insane fanbases, and the fact that I find KH to be overrated (albeit fun).

Much like how I find Ivy to be a TERRIBLE choice for a Namco and even SC character. I remember cringing when I read IGN suggest that idea.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
My point was the only game Villager is referencing besides Animal Crossing so far is definitely Balloon Fight. He may be referencing other series, however, let's be honest, you could find those games in the GameCube game anyway, which the Villager can play, so... yeah. It's a leap of logic to think he is referencing Wii Sports without any statements from Sakurai or explanations. His character profile, once we get it, could explain that, though. As of now, it's just all AC thus far.

Pac-Man could do that though. I wouldn't mind if he referenced some of the other Namco-Bandai games itself, like maybe an attack where he swings Nightmare's giant sword as a Smash move, or does the Rising Tempest from Lloyd, etc.
I'm pretty sure the gloves the Villager is using in Smash is a reference to Punch-Out!! with the gloves being remodeled after the latest Wii installment. There not Wii Sports as I show (here.)

I'm not entirely sure what mean by:
..however, let's be honest, you could find those games in the GameCube game anyway, which the Villager can play, so...
Can you clarify?

I would prefer Pac-man to use moves and items from the old 8-bit Namco games, but I'm open to anything at this point.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
That's because he's not very exciting as a fighting game character.

When we look at 3rd party, there are SO many options that are much more fitting.

I mean, Twin Snakes is a remake of the original Metal Gear Solid game, the one that kinda reinvented the series and set the standard not only for the Stealth Genre, but for Story-telling in vidya. Furthermore, Twin Snakes is a goddamn good remake of MGS1, so Snake's inclusion is rather fitting. Also, I'm pretty sure ports of the first two Metal Gear games are on Nintendo consoles as well.

The best I can think of for PacMan is that his design was an inspiration for Mario's design (though I never got evidence on this rumor).

I mean, just looking at Namco alone, there are tons of other choices I'd much rather see get in before Pac-Man, from a gameplay standpoint of course, and the deal is, a lot of people neglect that because "hurr durr, boring is subjective." Yes, as a stand-alone it is, but in contrast it's not. I'm sure we can all agree that Motorcross is a much more exciting activity than fishing, even if you prefer the latter over the former. And the deal is Sakurai is giving a huge look at what characters can canonically do before adding anyone in this time around.

MegaMan, while tough to work with, had TONS to work with, so it's obvious he'd get in. I dunno, maybe Sakurai can get a stroke of inspiration with PacMan that neither me nor Namco were able to get, but I doubt he'd ever add him simply due to his importance to the industry. Especially when he's basically washed up. Smash isn't some trophy wall for characters, it's a fighting game first and foremost, everything else comes second imo.
Exactly. I just really hope Sakurai feels the same way. I can't think of a single person that I know that wants Pacman to be in Smash.

I will forever bring up the fact that Pacman is SO boring that in SFXT, they had to give him a ****ING MECH. If he is that monstrously lame as a fighting character, by what madness should he join Smash and totally bring down the roster of a game that already has 3 incredibly unique newcomers?

HOWEVER, my biggest fear is that Sakurai's seeming obsession with "special" 3rd parties and his fetish for retro gaming would make him think that since quite literally everyone on the planet and their grandma knows who Pac-Man is, he is worthy of inclusion. Let's hope that fear is unfounded.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm pretty sure the gloves the Villager is using in Smash is a reference to Punch-Out!! with the gloves being remodeled after the latest Wii installment. There not Wii Sports as I show (here.)

Good to hear.

I'm not entirely sure what mean by:
Can you clarify?

In the GameCube Animal Crossing game, you can get old NES games to play in it. Balloon Fight and Punch-Out!! were included. In other words, Villager, who in-game can play those games, can think to USE those moves.

I would prefer Pac-man to use moves and items from the old 8-bit Namco games, but I'm open to anything at this point.
Who knows? I can't think of many 8-bit ones. But hey, if he can reference some Digimon stuff too, I'm for it. I'd take Agumon, Lloyd, or Klonoa over Pac-Man any day, but eh.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I just woke up, and the first thing I find here is a spambot or something posting threads advertising Nike shoes in German.
I love you guys.

The main reason I'd like Pac-Man in Smash is just to have content from Arcade GP and possibly other Namco games like Galaga Arrangement.

Huh. Interesting.

Huh, INTERESTING...
Didn't know those things. I guess those could noticeably increase his chances.

---

D

Deleted member

-Pac-Man
-Chrom
-Krystal
-Geno

Off the top of my head without trolling and suggesting stuff like Ridley.
Ho-boy.

I can see a number of people getting angry if they ever read that list.

Shall we add Isaac and K.Rool while we're at it too?
kidding

However, giving it some though, while not as boring as Chrom, Roy certainly fits the bill too. I'd also say Falco should also be on there, though he's not a newcomer.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah, but any notable games, like release that are like "WOW, that's a must play game!"
Sakurai doesn't care if those games are must-play games. Gyromite and Ice Climber certainly were not must-play games during the NES days and they still are not. Pac-Man was a must-play game during the arcade days and it's still selling like hotcakes in those newfangled mobile games.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Ho-boy.

I can see a number of people getting angry if they ever read that list.

Shall we add Isaac and K.Rool while we're at it too?

Oh, okay. :bee:
However, giving it some though, while not as boring as Chrom, Roy certainly fits the bill too. I'd also say Falco should also be on there, though he's not a newcomer.
Yeah, I kinda agree.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Villager having those moves doesn't mean much. While Balloon Fighter may not have much to work with, Little Mac has well over a thousand years worth of boxing to draw from.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
If we thought that Pac-Man was boring, than I've got this thanks to Golden
In total, he's got:
Chomp
Pac-Dot Shoot (Shoots a Pac-Dot from his palm)
Super Pac-Dot Shoot (Spins around while shooting 10 Pac-Dots)
Butt Bounce
Triple Butt Bounce (An increasingly stronger Butt Bounce that causes a shockwave upon the final bounce)
Rev Roll
Flip Kick
Steel Body (Pointless in Smash due to Metal Box)
Tiny Pac (Pointless in Smash due to Poison Mushroom)
Red Ribbon Attack
Electro-Shock
Fly Dots (Pac-Man eats a trail of these in a path; possible recovery move)
Magic Boots (These grant Pac-Man infinite jumps in Pac-Land; possible recovery move)
Power Pellets
Super Pac-Man (A power up in the game with the same name, this made Pac-Man larger, invulnerable, and gave him a Super Speed power with the Super Speed button held down; possible Final Smash material)
Magic Wand (A power up in Pac-Man Arrangement that turned the ghosts into edible presents; unlike the Power Pellet, once eaten, they will remain as floating eyeballs where there were eaten until the power up wears off or he eats them all)
Slingshot (How the player interacts with Pac-Man in Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures; the player does not control Pac-Man himself)
Pellet Gun (Similar to the Pac-Dot Shoot, this fires Pac-Dots at enemies; from Pac-In-Time when Pac-Man jumps through a Yellow Ring)
Rope Swing (Think Spider-Man as Pac-Man spawns a rope on a ceiling to swing from; from Pac-In-Time when Pac-Man jumps through a Green Ring)
Hammer Attack (from Pac-In-Time when Pac-Man jumps through a Red Ring)
Bubble Jet (An attack used to attack underwater enemies in Pac-In-Time, only available when Pac-Man jumps through a Blue Ring, which allows him to swim)
Sonic Ray (One of the multiple attacks used to stun the ghosts in Pac and Pal after eating a Galaxian flagship)
Exhaust Smoke (One of the multiple attacks used to stun the ghosts in Pac and Pal after eating a Rally-X car)
Music Notes (One of the multiple attacks used to stun the ghosts in Pac and Pal after eating a trumpet)
Ice Breath (One of the multiple attacks used to stun the ghosts in Pac and Pal after eating a snowman)

Mini Pac-Men (One of the multiple attacks used to stun the ghosts in Pac and Pal after eating a little Pac-Man)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'd personally add Lloyd to that boring character list since he clumsily face plants into every anime hero archetype imaginable. Big hairstyle? Check. Cocky attitude? Check. Significantly better than all his allies? Check. Swords? Check. Fighting style that would be wholly impractical in real life? Check. Striving to be the best like no one ever was? Check. Daddy issues? Check. Goofy wardrobe with excessive buttons/belts/bright colors? Check. Trains under gruff mentor? Check. Automatically paired with shy, quiet female lead even when all he does is act awkward around her most of the time? Check. Leaves home to go on a magical journey quest? Check. Absent mother that somehow significantly ties into the storyline? Check. Bottomless appetite? Check. Noted for not being very smart and hating school yet has moments of philosophical depth that are completely out of character? Check. I could go on and on...

D

Deleted member

Roy isn't boring, and he's a veteran anyway, same with Falco. I like K. Rool and Isaac too, and they really aren't that boring of additions. Isaac does have speaking roles throughout the series, after all.
I was kidding about Isaac and K.Rool.

I've actually never even played GS (it's still on my backlog of games to play), though based on what I've read, I do admit he'd make a neat fighter, personally I'm not particularly invested in him either way.

Falco while a vet, is still rather boring. Yeah, I know he's a more technical character, and in a competitive sense he's much different from Fox, but I'd rather get someone new at this point, and he's my secondary in Melee.

Roy is still kinda boring in my eyes. Me and Hab tried to make a moveset for him ages ago. Eventually we gave up on it as much would mean breaking his character an turning him into a manly badass, a pseudo-Sol Badguy basically.

Something Roy certianly isn't:

Anyway, I'm gonna stop talking about Roy before we start another FE flamewar. I do think he's got a decent chance at getting in Smash, so there's that. However, it should be obvious by now I have my preferences.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
@ManlySpirit: Falco's not that boring, honestly. Golden Sun, well, Isaac is fairly interesting in the 2nd and 3rd games, but is speechless in the first.

@Arcadenik: No. R.O.B. saved Video Games in general and is a beyond notable Nintendo character. While that might work for Ice Climbers, they also gave the ability to use two characters at once(on the screen to clarify), so it may have been a test of an unique type of fighting, something that's not generally shared among many co-op characters specifically like them. R.O.B. is is key to Nintendo's history as is. Ice Climbers is arguable, though, I admit. But if you take a look at what he talks about, trying to make them specifically work in Smash For, I have a good feeling he just wanted unique gameplay with them, not so much "repping a game not that known". Plus, Pac-Man is a third party, not a first/second, so him having few notable games matters far more than a pure Nintendo character as is.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'd personally add Lloyd to that boring character list since he clumsily face plants into every anime hero archetype imaginable. Big hairstyle? Check. Cocky attitude? Check. Significantly better than all his allies? Check. Swords? Check. Fighting style that would be wholly impractical in real life? Check. Striving to be the best like no one ever was? Check. Daddy issues? Check. Goofy wardrobe with excessive buttons/belts/bright colors? Check. Trains under gruff mentor? Check. Automatically paired with shy, quiet female lead even when all he does is act awkward around her most of the time? Check. Leaves home to go on a magical journey quest? Check. Absent mother that somehow significantly ties into the storyline? Check. Bottomless appetite? Check. Noted for not being very smart and hating school yet has moments of philosophical depth that are completely out of character? Check. I could go on and on...
If I recall, the Tales games are SUPPOSED to look very cliche and then a lot of tropes and conventions wind up getting deconstructed.

D

Deleted member

You know, the way you worded Lloyd reminded me of this ******:

They both even have dual swords, and I bet Lloyd is a Gary Stu to top it off.

Yeah, Lloyd gets on that list too. In fact, I'd put most Namco characters on there barring KOS-MOS and Alisa tbh. Maybe Taki, Tyra, Kilik, Cervantes, or Ivy can get away due to their unique fighting styles, but we've already said why we don't think they should get in in the first place.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Hey, hey, hey. Falco is NOT an uninteresting Fox ripoff! Poissonally, he prefers de air, remember? Laaaaaaaaaaandmaster.

Also, is it bad that the only Namco-Bandai character I would actually like is a Gundam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom