• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Derp da derp derp. Silly me.
I made the mistake of paying attention to PEEF's post about housing.
If you believe that, they've already overbooked every house in the county.

Also, if people are coming into town beforehand, I can give ya a place ta stay.
By next month, I'll be all alone in my four-man apartment, so there would be BEDS.
Though as appealing as driving there and right back day of is ...
I'd want to chill with some of the Memphis people for a little bit at least.

Dood. I love drafts!
Building a new deck is so much more fun than running a pre-fab.

Smashboards doesn't even recognize 'Marth' as a word in the first place.
And vid isn't a real word. Scrabble has confused your sense of reality.
wtf is going on with your posts....

_kSo_

Smash Master
anthony next time I see you can you install the "mindgames" button on my controller? make it just like yours except i want mine to be yellow

for cheese

ShineDEX

Smash Journeyman
And vid isn't a real word. Scrabble has confused you
Check again, son. M-W 11 disagrees.

And DEX, did you play go when you were in China? Did you see people playing it there? I was just curious to see how common it is over there.
Basics of drafting:
The players (6-11) sit around a table and are given three booster packs. They open one, take a card from it, and pass the other cards to the player on their left. Then they take a card from the pile they were passed and pass the remaining cards to the left. This continues until all the cards have been picked. The process starts over again for the second and third packs, with the players passing right for the second pack and left again for the third. After all of this has been done, players each make 40 card decks using the cards they drafted and basic lands that are provided by the tournament organizers. Then, everyone plays in a tournament with the decks they made. Afterwards, everyone gets to keep all the cards they drafted.

Drafting is a popular format that should be available at pretty much any store that holds regular mtg tournaments. Entrance fees are typically around $15, which is pretty decent considering that you get three booster packs worth of product just for playing. Drafting is a particularly good format for people who don't want to spend the time or money required for standard, but still like to play regularly.

I know all of this pretty well because at Purdue, I organize drafts every week. (Next semester, I'm planning to time them around ssbo's better so I can come more)

As for magic in China, there were a couple of shops that held tournaments. Not as popular as it is in the US, but I still didn't have a problem playing every week. They had this other Chinese game that seemed similar to magic that I saw people playing all the time, though.

_kSo_

Smash Master
Basics of drafting:
The players (6-11) sit around a table and are given three booster packs. They open one, take a card from it, and pass the other cards to the player on their left. Then they take a card from the pile they were passed and pass the remaining cards to the left. This continues until all the cards have been picked. The process starts over again for the second and third packs, with the players passing right for the second pack and left again for the third. After all of this has been done, players each make 40 card decks using the cards they drafted and basic lands that are provided by the tournament organizers. Then, everyone plays in a tournament with the decks they made. Afterwards, everyone gets to keep all the cards they drafted.

Drafting is a popular format that should be available at pretty much any store that holds regular mtg tournaments. Entrance fees are typically around $15, which is pretty decent considering that you get three booster packs worth of product just for playing. Drafting is a particularly good format for people who don't want to spend the time or money required for standard, but still like to play regularly.

I know all of this pretty well because at Purdue, I organize drafts every week. (Next semester, I'm planning to time them around ssbo's better so I can come more)

As for magic in China, there were a couple of shops that held tournaments. Not as popular as it is in the US, but I still didn't have a problem playing every week. They had this other Chinese game that seemed similar to magic that I saw people playing all the time, though.

ummm, yeah I think he was referring to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game)

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Check again, son. M-W 11 disagrees.
Yes, and according to M-W, " 'tude " is also a word.
Hell, I have a version of Merriam Webster that says " Ou " is a word,
And then lists a definition that hasn't been in use since Middle English was spoken.

I'm sorry, but your choice of dictionary is fail.

Also: Rofl. ****in' Go. I hate that game.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord

ummm, yeah I think he was referring to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_(game)
lol.... well yes. But thanks a lot for all that info on drafting, and I had asked more about drafting in an earlier post. Do you do any of that weekly stuff during the summer? I tried some draft simulators, and the difficulty difference in different sets was apparent. The magic 2010 I got the hang of and at least got 60%/100% on it's little rating thing. but when I tried some other pack with all these multi element cards and more effects.... I got a -32%... I don't even know how that's possible. I wouldn't even want to bother with that atm because I'd be getting rolled and would really be wasting my money getting garbage cards. or at least cards that don't work together. But I never got to try any of the decks I built with the simulator (even against bots) so I don't really know how effective I was. I read some article on B.R.E.A.D. drafting but only remember the first two words of the acronym. ... Anyway. it's all good, I'll probably try out drafting some time or another.

But I was curious about go as well.

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Whoah ... that MTG simulator thing does draft decks, too?
I there IS a use for it after all! It's like draft tournament friendlies!

Also, I have finished my dumb online exam thing that kept me from driving home this weekend ...
So ... anyone up for a little smash later on? I'm bored as hell.

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Dood. There's like no housing for POE.
I would have to take my car, 'cause I sure as hell ain't payin' for a hotel room.
dude Skylar did you read my post?? I said we have housing for up to 6 people u noob
How'd you manage that?? You certainly haven't talked to me about it.

Derp da derp derp. Silly me.
I made the mistake of paying attention to PEEF's post about housing.
If you believe that, they've already overbooked every house in the county.
?? Well you should believe my post about housing, and we have pretty much overbooked every house in the county. I don't know why microwave thinks he has 6 spots unless he has worked something out with the person housing him.

ShineDEX

Smash Journeyman
@ skylar
The definition for 'tude explicitly marks it as slang, and the current edition doesn't include ou, but that's not even the point. If my choice of dictionary is fail, what's you choice? Yourself? Without an appeal to an authority, such as the largest and most popular collegiate dictionary, your argument essentially boils down to 'Dex is wrong because I say he is'.

@ corey
sorry I misread your question; I never actually played go, but I did see it on t.v. when I was in Korea. I wouldn't take too much stock in the online draft simulators if I were you; the only ones I've seen have pretty bad AI. I have a primer on basic draft strategy that I can send you if you want.

@ jay
miley or I<3MC for sure.

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
The definition for 'tude explicitly marks it as slang, and the current edition doesn't include ou, but that's not even the point. If my choice of dictionary is fail, what's you choice? Yourself? Without an appeal to an authority, such as the largest and most popular collegiate dictionary, your argument essentially boils down to 'Dex is wrong because I say he is'.
Nah. You're not 'wrong'. You're just being an esoteric ******* over what you know **** well is semantics. You know 'vid' is an abbreviation of 'video', and that was the whole point of the joke.

I tried to poke fun at the fact that you're siting sources to argue with my sense of humor. (Let's be honest, you thought " 'tude " was a serious example?) For gods' sake, you looked up a gender neutral pronoun from Middle FREAKIN' English to see if it really was in the dictionary.

Settle down. This isn't a debate. I'll stop trolling you before you explode.

?? Well you should believe my post about housing, and we have pretty much overbooked every house in the county. I don't know why microwave thinks he has 6 spots unless he has worked something out with the person housing him.
Well, that's the thing. I'm not sure he hasn't, and while your post was a broad generalization of the state of things that wasn't related to me in the slightest, George addressed our situation directly. I'll bug him about it, to be sure - but we very well might have six spots. It's not you I'm doubting, PEEF - just the fact that the information I read was on a tournament frontpage.

Also, I'm going to be very disappointed if your sig picture turns out to be false advertising. =P

PEEF!

Smash Hero
Yeah, I will do my best to get you all 6 spots. Trust me, that front page is (I think) a good piece of work. It is fully updated to the minute, and I guarantee it is quite accurate.

Like I said, I can work on getting you 6 spots, because I don't think Amba checks smashboards often enough to be in contact with him, but if he has, great. I need to add it to my front page though. I have accuracy and organization to maintain.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Anyone up for smash this afternoon? Or one of you magic dudes could teach me how to play and beat up on a noob. I have the basic idea, but I don't understand double blocking very well, nor the utility of flash. So I don't really get that stuff, but you wouldn't have to explain life or tapping after attacking to me or anything.

post here or gimmie a call/text. if you want my number i'll pm it to you.

Ant it looks like by this afternoon, I meant not until maybe 6pm. Then I should be good for 3-4 hours before I get tired... I didn't go to sleep until 6am, and only slept until 11:30... missed out on church as well. anyway, it was graduation, I figured I'd do something out of the ordinary.

zephyrmace

Smash Journeyman
Anyone up for smash this afternoon? Or one of you magic dudes could teach me how to play and beat up on a noob. I have the basic idea, but I don't understand double blocking very well, nor the utility of flash. So I don't really get that stuff, but you wouldn't have to explain life or tapping after attacking to me or anything.

post here or gimmie a call/text. if you want my number i'll pm it to you.

Ant it looks like by this afternoon, I meant not until maybe 6pm. Then I should be good for 3-4 hours before I get tired... I didn't go to sleep until 6am, and only slept until 11:30... missed out on church as well. anyway, it was graduation, I figured I'd do something out of the ordinary.
woooo happy graduation! And I'll be up for some smash later on like at 7

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
woooo happy graduation! And I'll be up for some smash later on like at 7
Cool, maybe we can invade george's house. I think skylar said he had a four man apartment to himself, so that might be a piece of land worth sending some forces to as well. The only thing is, I don't know the terrain around skylar's house, or even its exact location, so developing a battle plan ahead of time would be more difficult. Maybe intel has something on it. If I can get an address and the green light from intel, I can put in the info to our spy satellite network codenamed "google map" and pinpoint the exact location. We will reconvene at a later checkpoint, troops dismissed.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Cool, maybe we can invade george's house. I think skylar said he had a four man apartment to himself, so that might be a piece of land worth sending some forces to as well. The only thing is, I don't know the terrain around skylar's house, or even its exact location, so developing a battle plan ahead of time would be more difficult. Maybe intel has something on it. If I can get an address and the green light from intel, I can put in the info to our spy satellite network codenamed "google map" and pinpoint the exact location. We will reconvene at a later checkpoint, troops dismissed.
Hook me up with this plan of yours, son. I need me some Smash.

Jayford

Smash Lord
Fro, you would be proud. I got 5th at a SSF4 tournament by doing nothing but running away and shooting fireballs with Akuma. I also did the legendary c.mk -> light hurricane kick -> fierce shoryuken combo you taught me.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Hook me up with this plan of yours, son. I need me some Smash.
sounds good. We'd need to get ahold of of either george or skylar to see if the UN will sanction our invasion of their places of residency. We're probably looking at 18:00-19:00 time of rendezvous. I might be bringing some backup, (aka my lil bro) but we need to see if he has clearance yet. I'm going to wait a bit to get ahold of intel because I'm going for a little R&R (bowling) soon. I will still be in communication, drop me a text if the status changes or there is an update. You don't need to use Morse code, the line should be secure.

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
sounds good. We'd need to get ahold of of either george or skylar to see if the UN will sanction our invasion of their places of residency. We're probably looking at 18:00-19:00 time of rendezvous. I might be bringing some backup, (aka my lil bro) but we need to see if he has clearance yet. I'm going to wait a bit to get ahold of intel because I'm going for a little R&R (bowling) soon. I will still be in communication, drop me a text if the status changes or there is an update. You don't need to use Morse code, the line should be secure.
My place is open to the public and authorized ground for war-games.
Umm ... I have two TV's with one cube - only three working controller ports ...
But if someone wants to bring a setup or two, we'd be golden.

Of course, my one remaining roommate is still moving things around,
and there's a chance that I might be called on to help ...
But that should't be terribly time consuming work.

Though ... there does seem to be an inordinate amount of vacuuming going around ...

BunBun

Smash Master
Yeah, dude, old-school's the way to be. lol It's good to hear that blue/white control is still a viable archetype, though; I always enjoyed playing that, even in my mindgame-less days. heh Still, nothing will be as fun to me as when Invasion block was in Standard; good times with Cunning Wake, Burning Wake (for about 2 seconds), Psychatog, and Fires.
We played with the same strat xD
During Invasion I also ran a goofy Rith-centered token deck =3
ummm why is fergie in my slash cd?
Because Slash banged Fergie last weekend
Yeah, I will do my best to get you all 6 spots. Trust me, that front page is (I think) a good piece of work. It is fully updated to the minute, and I guarantee it is quite accurate.
Skylar can bunk with me =3

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
My place is open to the public and authorized ground for war-games.
Umm ... I have two TV's with one cube - only three working controller ports ...
But if someone wants to bring a setup or two, we'd be golden.

Of course, my one remaining roommate is still moving things around,
and there's a chance that I might be called on to help ...
But that should't be terribly time consuming work.

Though ... there does seem to be an inordinate amount of vacuuming going around ...
I think I can bring a cube, memory card, and copy of the game, but it leaves when I leave. (no tv) Also, this is going to be clean right? My younger brother is interested in coming, if that's cool. He can beat me now with the right matchup, idk how he does it. I play/practice ~7x more than him, it's weird.

I know the general location.
I don't have any idea where it's at. Address? Is there parking near by?

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Rum's gone. We have a Puma.
There's like two beers in the fridge, but all I use that for is cooking.
I think I can hold off my rabid alcoholism for a couple of hours (/joke).

I have an extra TV anyway, and anything is better than my poor GameCube.
My only stipulation is that you guys call be before you start showin' up.
It looks like I'm gonna be gone for like 10-20 minutes right around 6.
Roomie is dropping his car off and he needs a ride back.
(901) 409-0897

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Rum's gone. We have a Puma.
There's like two beers in the fridge, but all I use that for is cooking.
I think I can hold off my rabid alcoholism for a couple of hours (/joke).

I have an extra TV anyway, and anything is better than my poor GameCube.
My only stipulation is that you guys call be before you start showin' up.
It looks like I'm gonna be gone for like 10-20 minutes right around 6.
Roomie is dropping his car off and he needs a ride back.
(901) 409-0897
Do you have an address? Is there parking around where ever this is?

Top Bottom