• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

Jayford

Smash Lord
I just made the best Zero combo ever. Takes the opponent from one corner to the other. Jump C -> C - Forward C-> Call Sent Drones -> S -> Jump B-> Jump B-> Jump C-> S (They slam on the sent drones) -> Jump B -> Jump B-> -Jump C-> S -> 236C -> Felicia Assist -> S -> Jump -> B -> Jump C -> S -> Super.

It's so ****ing ****.

The timing is a *****. Also you can charge shot to level 3 pretty much anytime from the second launcher on.

Dart!

Smash Master
Being Purdue's resident Spidey player, I could tell you a thing or two....

I don't think Spidey should ever not start on point, mostly because that's where his at his best, and his assists are bad. With Deadpool's Katana-Rama assist, he gains access to good resets into Ultimate Web throw as well as extensions to his combos in general He's at his best on point, and works well with pressure enabling/OTG assists. His mobility and ability to pick his attack spots are both really good. His issues are with his wonky hitboxes and generally low hitstun. He needs help from assists to buff his damage and a lot of careful spacing to get his combos in.

Akuma would be my best recommendation out of the list you're looking at. He's an awesome anchor with great X-factor usage, and his tatsu assist is one of the best in the game.
thanks for that, i've been really wanting to drop chris. although his grenade assist is useful i'm garbs with him.

'Fro

Smash Lord
thanks for that, i've been really wanting to drop chris. although his grenade assist is useful i'm garbs with him.
Chris is a pretty specialized character.... I tried to play him myself, but I think having him and Spidey on a team doesn't work very well. They don't complement each other with assists or hyper combos. It COULD work, but I don't recommend that pair-up. Then again, I use Spidey without a huge cover assist like Sentinel drones, so yeah.....

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Aight, listen up *****es. Anthony and I will be coming down Saturday night around midnight-ish, and will be staying til sometime Tuesday.

Also, I'm not gonna lie, Insomia Cookies sounds really good right now, so we will definitely have to get some. The scary thing is that I don't really even care for cookies. =O Although I don't see anything topping the snickerdoodle, I'll have to check out the menu to see what other goodies they have. Also, Lance, I doubled checked with numerous sources, and snickerdoodles don't have peanut butter, so don't get your panties all up in a tizzy.

Bottom line, fun times must be had this weekend especially since Josh will be leaving us for good, and others will be gone for some time.

Goose out.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Aight, listen up *****es. Anthony and I will be coming down Saturday night around midnight-ish, and will be staying til sometime Tuesday.

Also, I'm not gonna lie, Insomia Cookies sounds really good right now, so we will definitely have to get some. The scary thing is that I don't really even care for cookies. =O Although I don't see anything topping the snickerdoodle, I'll have to check out the menu to see what other goodies they have. Also, Lance, I doubled checked with numerous sources, and snickerdoodles don't have peanut butter, so don't get your panties all up in a tizzy.

Bottom line, fun times must be had this weekend especially since Josh will be leaving us for good, and others will be gone for some time.

Goose out.
That works out for me nicely. I pretty much reserved Saturday for taking my girlfriend on a long overdue date ( I got sick before I could take her out last time). So, I will foob around starting on Sunday with everyone.

ORLY

Smash Master
why do falco mains try and convince other people that he's not the best character in the game

what's up with that

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Lance-so since fro johned out]
it looks like the ssbo would be me and you
MM?

lawl
Well I mentioned that if enough people want to do it Sunday then we can arrange for that. I'm cool either way.

So maybe you guys will have the honor of fighting my drunk Jigglypuff.
Why do I feel that peoples' sober Puff would look highly similar to their drunken Puff? lol

I PLAY AS A ****ING BALLOON!!
LOOL

'Fro

Smash Lord
Well I mentioned that if enough people want to do it Sunday then we can arrange for that. I'm cool either way.

Why do I feel that peoples' sober Puff would look highly similar to their drunken Puff? lol
With you and Anthony coming in so late on Saturday as it is, unless anyone has a sever objection to that idea, the Sunday SSBO would be the way to go.

Everyone, please post whether a Sunday SSBO would be a problem or not. I think it would be better at this point rather than running it on Saturday with potentially less than five people. Plus, this is Grand Prix weekend, so excessive movement around campus and finding parking spots on Saturday will be an issue. I would have said to do it here, but I can only fit so many set-ups (read: two at most, one being in front of my own TV).

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I won't be able to go sunday, but given the silly amounts of HW I have right now, I might not have been able to go anyway.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I've only played smash drunk once in my life, and I was beating tink's drunk *** consistently
I think he was way drunker than me though lol
this was after jab2, actually. fun times.

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
why do falco mains try and convince other people that he's not the best character in the game

what's up with that
Cuz hes not XD

Sunday SSBO sounds like a waste of my Sunday (and I have to get down on Sunday).

Also, Portal 2 out this morning??!?!?!? We will see in 20 minutes!

Edit: No Portal 2 :(

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
is there a tourny or no this weekend
Unfortunately, we don't really have a straight answer for this, DJ. If there is sufficient support for the tournament (that is, adequate attendance) as shown via posts, SSBO LVII will happen; if not, we can most certainly just have a Smashfest or something instead. However, I would like everyone to keep in mind that Sunday is pretty much the optimal day for the tournament as Saturday does not work for myself, Matt, Ahmed, or George. As well, if we do elect to hold SSBO on Sunday, we'll have to ensure that the room in Tark is available that day; I would offer my place for the tournament, but my roommate will not be going out of town this weekend. =/

So yeah, once again, anyone who is interested in having an SSBO this weekend, post up or forever hold your peace. I of course have no problems with TO'ing the tournament on Sunday, so just let us know what your thoughts are.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
SSBO LVII Results

Doubles Results (4 teams)
1: Lanceinthepants + iamthemicrowave ($30.00)
2: 'Fro + Jayford ($10.00)

3: Goosefactor + DeeZNutZ
4: Little England + Doggalina

Singles Results (8 entrants)
1: Little England ($25.00)
2: iamthemicrowave ($10.00)
3: 'Fro ($5.00)

4: Lanceinthepants
5: Goosefactor
6: Jayford
7: Doggalina
8: DeeZNutZ

Fun times at the tournament, good sirs! For all interested parties, stay tuned to this thread for announcements regarding next semester's SSBO schedule. As well, for all Purdue Smashers, we will be renovating the PPR for the start of next semester; again, check out the thread for announcements regarding its completion.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
shoutoutzzz

jason - sooo salty i lost to your ganon!!!! wtf. those were some really good matches and i had alot of fun playing them. i felt like we were adapting pretty well to each others tricksies, your stage control is 222 good and you are super patient. my recovery is very predictable tho and i need to stop jumping into moves :(. always fun to play you in some intense matches, first set was soooooooooooo close fdjsfhsdjfhsdjk but thats what makes it fun ;). ggs ill get that *** next time.

fro - no singles games this time, ggs in dubs. ps stop hating on melee especially at a melee tournament, pretty weaksauce imo. some of us really like this game and it gets pretty irksome to hear a constant stream about how this game is average/not balanced enough/whatever and ssf4 and mvc3 are sooo much better. thats fine if you feel that way but try and be more respectful of those around you, it gets annoying hearing all that negativity. especially when im trying to concentrate on GF's and all I can hear is BLAH BLAH BLAH MAGNETO GRAVITY FEED SENTINEL SCORPION ps FOX IS SOOOOOOOOO CHEAP but ITS TOO HARD TO LEARN TO PLAY HIM so IM CONTENT WITH JOHNING. also your johns about fox are pretty ridiculous. us fox players have spent alot of time learning tech skill that helps make him such a good char, you can't just reduce it to "fox being fox being broken". feels like you are taking credit away from the hard work of the player.

lance - ggs man. super close set in singles, you keep getting better. good job beating matt. good job in teams, we had some beastly combos and i really liked how patient and in control we played. flawless victory!

goose - ggs. i felt like you were sandbagging 3rd game :(, but its been awhile since we played so i dunno.

jay - fun friendlies, we need to get some more. your fox is looking pretty fresh.

doggalina - ggs in pools, you were playing the platforms very well.

******** - we didnt really play but i heard you had a close set with fro. next time.

'Fro

Smash Lord
shoutoutzzz
fro - no singles games this time, ggs in dubs. ps stop hating on melee especially at a melee tournament, pretty weaksauce imo. some of us really like this game and it gets pretty irksome to hear a constant stream about how this game is average/not balanced enough/whatever and ssf4 and mvc3 are sooo much better. thats fine if you feel that way but try and be more respectful of those around you, it gets annoying hearing all that negativity. especially when im trying to concentrate on GF's and all I can hear is BLAH BLAH BLAH MAGNETO GRAVITY FEED SENTINEL SCORPION ps FOX IS SOOOOOOOOO CHEAP but ITS TOO HARD TO LEARN TO PLAY HIM so IM CONTENT WITH JOHNING. also your johns about fox are pretty ridiculous. us fox players have spent alot of time learning tech skill that helps make him such a good char, you can't just reduce it to "fox being fox being broken". feels like you are taking credit away from the hard work of the player.
I feel pretty bad that you took me that seriously on all that. Yeah, I have my misgivings about Melee, especially after getting into games that have fit me and my tastes much better, but if I hated Melee that much, I wouldn't bother showing up and playing in a Melee tournament, or laughing my *** off at all the crazy stuff that happens in this game.

I'll leave out the hypothetical "if" and say sorry for insulting people's sensibilities. In any serious conversation you would have with me on the game, I would tell you my actual opinion on Fox, which is that he has some very powerful tools, but they're not simple. I've just been on the tail end of some rather.....unlucky incidents involving my match-up against Fox, and I've always been weak to characters with really fast speed and sudden movements, even in games I play more regularly these days.

At the end of the day, my saying Melee is *** is just my current relative opinion of it. I'm enjoying Street Fighter and Marvel much more, but I'm not outright denying Melee's quality or playability.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
fro feels about fox like I feel about samus
lol
(I'm not saying this is true for you though) In my case, it's just johns because I play the matchup horribly

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
doggalina - ggs in pools, you were playing the platforms very well.
Thanks. That is my strong point, but I feel like I rely on it too much (as shown by you skull****ing me on FD). It was a good set though and I picked up on some new things to do with Fox by playing you throughout the day (in singles and doubles.)

Oh and other shoutouts

jason - Fun friendlies against that u-airing, moonwalking paintrain of a Ganon, and it was fun teaming with you. Sorry I SD'd more times than I should've. But it's always fun playing you.

lance - you and george were in control in teams. Great zoning. Solid set in pools too.

jay - your puff is gay
I mean that in the best way

******** - You had some pretty cool needle work in some of the games I saw you play. And you ***** me hard in teams.

goose - lol sorry for offering to shake your hand after the first game loss. All the Fox dittos were starting to blur together.

fro - jason beat a Fox in grand finals with Ganon. No johns.

Top Bottom