• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

Guy Incognito

Smash Rookie
who is Jesse
Hi, that'd be me. I was here for this and last SSBO, both times wearing a black hoodie and playing Jiggs

I had a lot of fun coming to these! Nobody in my area really plays, much less competitively, so it's always enjoyable to go and find people who can absolutely destroy me. I need to start arriving later though, since for one I'm always the first arriver, and for two playing a game for six hours straight is a bit of a drain.

Jesse drives over about an hour and a half to get here.
This is tragically true, and with gas prices how they are I'm not sure how eager I am to keep going (I was fine at $3.09 or whatever it was, but with the thirty-cent price hike it's about $50 round-trip).

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
This is tragically true, and with gas prices how they are I'm not sure how eager I am to keep going (I was fine at $3.09 or whatever it was, but with the thirty-cent price hike it's about $50 round-trip).
Does this include entry fee and food? I drive to indy(Granted, the west side of indy) and back on about 1/4 a tank. But the person who taught me to drive gets ~6-7 more mpg than their car says they are supposed to.

Guy Incognito

Smash Rookie
Does this include entry fee and food? I drive to indy(Granted, the west side of indy) and back on about 1/4 a tank. But the person who taught me to drive gets ~6-7 more mpg than their car says they are supposed to.
Yeah, that includes entry and foodstuffs for the day, and something else. Driving there and back is about 1/2 a tank, and a full fill-up's about $60.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
People who wanted spots in my car.
Do you have CD/cassette player in your car?
Yeah, that includes entry and foodstuffs for the day, and something else. Driving there and back is about 1/2 a tank, and a full fill-up's about $60.
What are you driving? Even with these prices I pay like $40 to fill up. (I do have a pretty small car though) Thanks for making it out to these, despite the personal cost. Oh and btw, you'll eventually get used to playing for 6+ hours at a time, I was the same way when I first started going to tourneys.

I'm pretty sure I have my mvc3 team picked out, and I've got some really cool ideas with it. magneto, tron bonne, and ammy. Although from what I'm reading, ammy is a pain in the butt to learn, she is looking really good and a very important part of my team, I plan of saving her for last if at all possible.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
jason - i always forget that you actually know who to play this game really well! ur pika is broken and imma whoop that rat next time. ur lucky we didnt play in pools or bracket. you somehow escaped my clutches ...for now. ur campy playstyle is annoying and super effective against me. stay high *****

fro - u always get 2nd, ggs in our pool set...i cant even count how many ridiculous sets weve had. been like 3 years now of fox samus super close sets loooooooooooool

jay - ggs in bracket. fox ditto was super fun i wish we could have done some friendlies. didnt you play me in one friendly and leave?? thats my favorite matchup and im salty i lost. i can tell youve been practicing fox so i give you props for that. last game was loooooooooooooooooooooooool gg me = 4 stocked...graped...ummm..i hate puff..not johning she is just annoying to fight. good seeing you at wal mart ;)

voorheese - you beat me and yet you placed below me...step it up *****. ggs twas a good set. didnt you also play me in one friendly and then leave? did i smell bad or something? wtf guys

lance - looooooooooool close *** sets young money, ggs. u keep getting better every time i play you, keep practicing that tech skill if you wanna keep it up. lol at playing with ur food comment

jesse - nice puff, learn 2 l cancel and and ff and youll get alot better. you had some nice edgeguards

tak - looool this guy, thought you was gonna knock me out of the tournament. good set, just work on not finishing your combos early(dair instead of bair unless they are super duper high %)

dj - i think you know what im gonna say so im just gonna post looooooooooooooooooooool instead. ggs in teams

keeper of the faith - you are getting better, saw some nice stomps to knee. practice your tech skill if you wanna get better. you only need like 15 minutes of focused practice a day, still waiting for my young falcon prodigy to stomping around with some flawless shffls...

ggs everybody

voorhese

Smash Master
lol no, i left cuz i was trying to gather myself for the match i expected against fro or jay

also to all u mvc3 guys, i played again last night, and actually got to do missions and whatnot so i dont play the same team anymore

i play mss cuz i can control them now, sentinel is SOOO ****ING GOOOOOOOOD get a combo with magneto or storm, team combo into sentinels spike, rocket punch (L) cancel into the super sentinel force, xfactor, flight, and then on the last hit of super do air special, then normal special, then if they arent dead kill em in the air

i figured out that combo myself (ive seen part of it b4), after doing like 4 of his missions, then later i tried missions again and i found one similar. I cant do the last 3 missons, that **** is hard.

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Spring break in a weeeeeeeeeeek.
Andrew's gonna have to teach me how to smash all over again. XD

Also, watching spaceballs makes me want to play samus for a day, realize I hate floaties, and give up. ... Again.

Guy Incognito

Smash Rookie
What are you driving? Even with these prices I pay like $40 to fill up. (I do have a pretty small car though) Thanks for making it out to these, despite the personal cost. Oh and btw, you'll eventually get used to playing for 6+ hours at a time, I was the same way when I first started going to tourneys.
I actually do not know what I drive. I'm sure I "know", but it's not something that comes up enough for me to actively remember it.

Anyway, I'd rather not junk up the thread with my boring "boo hoo I'm poor", so this line of talk ends now.

If I could remember who people are, I'd give some shout-outs.

voorhese

Smash Master
oh also idk if you know this, but if you press 2 buttons (to dash), then press down really fast, then press straight left or straight right, even after waiting a bit ull do a super (and its a lot easier, i use it to space)

i looked into it, and i guess its called wavedashing lol, but the other people that found it didnt say anything about the super thing i found, just that u can press 2 buttons then down over and over to move really fast.

BunBun

Smash Master
Spring break in a weeeeeeeeeeek.
Andrew's gonna have to teach me how to smash all over again. XD

Also, watching spaceballs makes me want to play samus for a day, realize I hate floaties, and give up. ... Again.
Lmao, does that mean you watched the match I put on your SWF wall?

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
keeper of the faith - you are getting better, saw some nice stomps to knee. practice your tech skill if you wanna get better. you only need like 15 minutes of focused practice a day, still waiting for my young falcon prodigy to stomping around with some flawless shffls...
I am definitely practicing tech focus at least 10 mins a day, with probably a 20 min a day average. (This is focused tech practice only, not other practice) Imma keep working on that, my shuffles are so much faster when I play by myself, it's pretty silly.

EDIT: The reason I'm so slow in games is because I haven't practiced shuffles on hitstun enough yet. http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll110/Kapoodle123/DERP.jpg
Ammy weapon switching in combo is mean.
lol, then I guess I won't mention what I plan to do with her assist.

voorhese

Smash Master
if there is room for smym, ill go, but if someone else wants to go, and they want to enter give them the spot over me.

ill prolly go just for learning, and such, i dont think i can afford entering, MAYBE doubles

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
1: Obnoxious Oceania (Little England) - Jason, good **** winning this thing with just pikachu. I'm salty :p . Also, we give you (and matt too) a hard time because your reactions are priceless.
2: Fro - Good games in pools sir, I'm coming for you next time. I hope we didn't leave your place too messy :p. Also, who do you think is cooler Halo or Metroid? I think Metroid is cooler he has a awesome cannon arm.
3: IN's finest - Good hanging out and teaming with you this weekend. Your fox definitely is good if you don't want to play jiggs forever. Also sadface at sandbagging in bracket
4: iamthemicrowave- Good games in pools and brackets son. Our games are super intense, and I get really into them (probably too much :p). I'll get you next time, I'll have more herp and less derp. Also, you didn't smell bad, just a a liitle skunky ;)
5: Voorhese- Good **** coming down here this weekend dude, and all the friendlies at my place were bad ***. Also, listen to jason he definitely knows what he is talking about.
5: Lance in the Pants- Sorry for the john storm after the tournament, this game gets me frustrated sometimes =/
7: Jesse- Good stuff coming out here again and good games in pools. I know its hard to be the only person in your area that plays, but I hope you keep coming. Also, Lol at you being the first one at the venue.
7: Tak- Perfect Timing! Good stuff coming out, I didn't get to play you but Jason says you are getting better, so keep it up.
Brett- Even though you didnt enter its always good to see you at the tournament. You always make me laugh. "**** YOU! I'm normal!"
Josh- See Brett's shoutout, but add in some ***** joke into the quote.
Corey- I can definitely see your improvement, also when you get MvC3 we definitely need to play again.
DJ- You were playing good in teams. After your "errand", you definitely didn't play as well. You have improved since P5, and I want to see you **** some people.

Also, as a treat I found the video of kochiha fighting his one armed dad at Smashing Grounds. You can also play where's waldo during the video but instead of waldo its GEORGE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUN-A3bvw24

Hopefully I'll see alot of you guys this weekend for SMYM!

voorhese

Smash Master
well i talked to jay, and it appears i am able to ride w/ u guys to smym, in terms of housing after the tourney, can anyone hook me up?

'Fro

Smash Lord
i play mss cuz i can control them now, sentinel is SOOO ****ING GOOOOOOOOD get a combo with magneto or storm, team combo into sentinels spike, rocket punch (L) cancel into the super sentinel force, xfactor, flight, and then on the last hit of super do air special, then normal special, then if they arent dead kill em in the air
That's Sentinel for you. Thus, you have joined the flock of sheep known as Sentinels. I honestly think Capcom knew something when they made that ending for him, where the Sentinels are eradicating the entire non-robot population of the planet.

I honestly don't have that big of a problem with the character himself. I just fear the other characters' potential, which is already looking huge, will just go unexplored because people want their established Sentinel gameplan to be there. As I told the people in my room Saturday night, out of a sample 42 players in the MvC 3 tourney in Philly, 31 were using Sentinel. I understand that the character is really good, but it's already been proven that winning without him is extremely doable, and so is countering him, so I don't get why people won't explore the amazing creative potential available in this game.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Shoutouts time!

Jason: GG's in dat singles finals, man. I enjoyed our discussion on the Pika vs. Samus match-up, and was glad we could agree. The matches were so fun. Your insight on the game is on another level. On another note, you are one hilariously angry Jason when you're drunk. "Jay, you're such a ****ing ******!"

Lance: Fun times and good games! You're almost there with the match-up, but what's missing is the clutch and switch-up. Once I changed up how I came at you, you seemed confused. Remember, that tank of jank can only do so much to you if you keep her outside her comfort zone.

George: Again, I find myself looking at our set as one of my faves from the tourney, as true as it is that I had a ton of awesome ones this time around. Yeah, forget that Marth ever happened. Samus won't leave me alone.

Jay Trollford: Freaking Jay. Hold that ****, son! Gotta carry that to the home stretch! Also, you NOT playing Sentinel? Wat? I don't believe you. I am waiting for you to lose with your new team and be like "Gotta bring back Sentinel! He's too good!"

Voorhese: Silly Fox. Tech skill is for kids. You all grown up now. You gotta add in that patience if you hope to take out that specter of floaties that's haunted you for so long, and especially Samus. I highly enjoyed playing SSF IV with you, and I'm hoping you can keep improving because you do get what you need to do.

Jesse: Nice to see you turned up again! You probably wanna start mining the web for Puff videos so you can learn more about what to do, but you've got mad patience. Props.

Tak: Good showing again! Your Falco is getting there. Just gotta iron out some kinks and gain more experience.

Deez Nutz: GG's in pools..... You gotta slow your roll against Samus and she cries. Spacing b-airs is the right idea, but you gotta hit 'em low so she doesn't have enough time to cc d-smash. And grab. A lot.

Corey: Didn't get to play you or watch your matches, so I can't really put a full shoutout here. Fun times hanging with you as usual, though.

Good tourney overall, guys!

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
Shoutouts teim :D

Jason-I give you a hard time because I know what you can become. Just figure it out...you'll get it. ;)
Fro-Thanks for holding my stuff man. Sorry for making that so complicated and thanks for the drinks! Much much much appreciated! I had one hell of a 21st!!
Jay-omg Thursday was awesome! Thanks for lookin after me and showing me a good time. "Jay..I wanna run through the snow" *darts off!* "Jason, come back here seriously! The cops will know!" lolol Stupid me.
George-I'm like...average at best. lol I see so much potential in so many Purdue smashers, so it's hard to take compliments. lol >_< But the Rat will remain a force to be reckoned with! Muahahahahaaaa!
Voorheeeeeeeeeese- Listen to me and you'll improve DRAMATICALLY. Keep switching characters and being results oriented and you'll stagnate. :p You got this. Glad you made it down! See you next week. :D
Lance-Thanks for slapping reality in my face. Maybe I'm not as bad as I think I am, but I'm still not close to where I want to be...which is good :). So ya...umm you're gunna be incredible at this game. Believe me. I know you know you can do it. Also, thanks for the white russians, even though I was a noob about 'em.
Jesse-I'm glad you came out again. I know you said you don't know people's names on smashboards, but I'm the black guy. lawl Keep practicing and keep coming out to these. It appears you've improved since last time! Good stuff!
Tak-You're better than you know. Keep playing me man. Also, don't think of tournaments as in the sense of money for two reasons. One, they're cheap compared to the many other fun events you could pay for on any given weekend. Two, any top player who makes money at tournaments knows they can make much more if they actually had a job, so most of them aren't "trying to take your money". Also, will you even team with me? :(
Brett-omg I'm guaranteed a good laugh when I'm around you! *see Lance's shoutout to you
Josh-Did I play you? hmm I don't remember..oh well. Thanks for sharing car bombs with me! :D *clink*
Corey-Perfect your tech skill and watch Falcon players very analytically. See how they apply their tech skill to matches. Try to incorporate your practice sessions in actually matches as well (, focus on one thing at a time). I see that you've been practicing. As long as I see effort I'll keep helping! ;)
DJ-Tech skilllllllll. I can't help you as much as I would like to because you don't have full control over Sheik. It's the main thing you're missing. Nice chillin with you Saturday.

SMYM will be awesome! I hope to see as many of you guys as possible!

WatchYourRadar

Smash Apprentice
Hey, are you guys still doing this thing on the 12th? IU starts spring break that day, and I will be closer to here/want to visit Purdue friends/itching to play smash!

goosefactor

Smash Lord
So earlier today this guy came in and asked if the guys could look over his brakes. He was like, "not to be pushy, but would you guys be able to do it fairly quickly because I have to hurry to Monticello". I was going to ask him if he knew The Voorheese, but figured he wasn't cool enough to even be associated with that crowd, so I didn't waste my breath.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I feel bad for not doing shoutouts looool. I'll do them in between class. Also, I should probably practice before SMYM =/. So if anyone wants to play let me know.
I definitely want to play. Let me know whenever is good for you. (if anyone else wants to play, I'd like to play wit you too)

bye bye melee
It's ok Alan, it isn't too late. All you have to do is repent your rejection of Falcon. Through his grace and might he will forgive you as long as your wear the scarlet costume as a symbol to others of your adultery.
Hester Prynne
Hey, are you guys still doing this thing on the 12th? IU starts spring break that day, and I will be closer to here/want to visit Purdue friends/itching to play smash!
I would imagine so, but I won't be here and I can't really make any projections about the attendance.

So earlier today this guy came in and asked if the guys could look over his brakes. He was like, "not to be pushy, but would you guys be able to do it fairly quickly because I have to hurry to Monticello". I was going to ask him if he knew The Voorheese, but figured he wasn't cool enough to even be associated with that crowd, so I didn't waste my breath.
Voorhese and his crew run Monticello. He straight up went to the gas station man, said "gimmie a tire gage or I will defeat you in convincing fashion in a contest of technical virtuosity playing SUPER SMASH BROTHERS MELEE!!!!!" The attendant gave him the tire gage.

Lanceinthepants

Smash Lord
Yea radar there still is a tourny on the 12th. Attendance may be small, depending on who is leaving town right away.

Top Bottom