• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

GooeyBanana

Smash Lord
Dear lord guys, how are you gonna beat Tink/Kels/etc in singles if you're more focused on attacking the stage than the opponent? Tech skill aint THAT important, I mean no offense, but it's only required to an extent, then brains account for the remainder. For the confused, even though muscle memory does have the word memory in it, that does not mean that muscle memory = brains >_<.

But, I do have to give you all a pat on the back. At least you guys attack the stage whereas I miss it on numerous occasions and SD instead. It'd be more acceptable if it was with Fox/Falco, but it's generally with Sheik/Falcon ;_;

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
LOL at people keep asking us to change the date on our tournaments. Normally we dont get out of Purdue attendance, this year has been an exception(so far). But I am sorry the date will not change.

voorhese

Smash Master
hey ive been trying to get better at mental game forever... having good tech is just a benefit from not being able to play with people all the time, but there is no reason not to have good tech skill and try to practice mental game on computers...you would be stupid and have no tech....

darkatma

Smash Hero
Dear lord guys, how are you gonna beat Tink/Kels/etc in singles if you're more focused on attacking the stage than the opponent? Tech skill aint THAT important
QFTFT
Having solid tech skill is important. Being able to do what you mean to do is important.
If you start thinking about things in terms of how many options you're covering you start seeing how bad overtechnical people are.

WarHippy

Smash Journeyman
As far as a the Owen Hall venue goes there's sort of a communication failure. I'm not really sure what's going on.

Go back to using the Tark TV lounge, and I'll let you guys know about Owen if I can get it on a regular basis.

DracoFox

Smash Ace
I am in need of one of our top ranking players to spar with me. This includes Kit. If it makes it easier with whomever, I will have Friday off. So anytime during the day would be very appreciated.

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Haha ... wait ... did someone really just ask us to re-schedule one of our bi-weeklies?
I mean, SSBO's are amazing and all,
But I wouldn't exactly peg them for the biggest threat to attendance out there. XD

Also: Oh, hey - Lance. Just found your glasses case. I'll hand it over next time I see yas.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Since a lot of the more skilled players aren't going to be there this Saturday (Kirk, Fro [at least for singles], Jason [last I heard your parents were coming in], and Lance [I dunno why I'm putting you on this list :p]), perhaps we should just do like a $1 dollar entry fee or something? I know that'll help a lot of people out. But I also know that many of you guys usually grimace at that suggestion because it can take away from the competitive edge of the tournies. So it's whatever. I down with going either way.

Adam, I'll be in town around 12:30ish, so you can meet up with us then if ya want.

BunBun

Smash Master
So who is going to HDR? Jason wants to go, and I want to play Jason, so that means some of you need to suck it up and go too. It's on your **** fall break weekend.

Dart!

Smash Master
Since a lot of the more skilled players aren't going to be there this Saturday (Kirk, Fro [at least for singles], Jason [last I heard your parents were coming in], and Lance [I dunno why I'm putting you on this list :p]), perhaps we should just do like a $1 dollar entry fee or something? I know that'll help a lot of people out. But I also know that many of you guys usually grimace at that suggestion because it can take away from the competitive edge of the tournies. So it's whatever. I down with going either way.

Adam, I'll be in town around 12:30ish, so you can meet up with us then if ya want.
Come to SGR

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
What is your reasoning for a one dollar entry fee? I don't see how it will "help alot of people out"?

So who is going to HDR? Jason wants to go, and I want to play Jason, so that means some of you need to suck it up and go too. It's on your **** fall break weekend.
fail post is fail. you sound like a child and its not on our fall break weekend.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I'm going to make it rain this weekend.

Get ready...
The weather channel says otherwise...
http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USIN0707

That's also my great grandmother's 100th birthday. I'd love to go, but this is one of those family first scenarios.

I won't be able to go to any tourneys but purdue's (I have work) this weekend. Idc if the entry fee stays the same or changes. I'll challenge people to get serious play either way.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
What is your reasoning for a one dollar entry fee? I don't see how it will "help alot of people out"?
Do you not understand the concept of money? There's a good portion of the Purdue Crew that does not expect to make money off of these things, and if this is going to be a smaller, laid back tournament, I figured that other than the possible one or two that may cash when they otherwise wouldn't in typical SSBO's, it would save them nearly $10. That's how I thought it would "help alot of people out".

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=285374

like i said i can house you friday. unless we leave friday XP
Ah, Sveet's tourney. It just occurred to me that I didn't know what the name of it was (I still dunno wtf Andrew's talking about with HDR though). Thanks for the offer, Josh, but I'm gonna be more than content to just have a more laid back weekend at Purdue. Plus, I had to leave early last week, so I wanna make up for lost time, heh.

/johns

Dart!

Smash Master
Do you not understand the concept of money? There's a good portion of the Purdue Crew that does not expect to make money off of these things, and if this is going to be a smaller, laid back tournament, I figured that other than the possible one or two that may cash when they otherwise wouldn't in typical SSBO's, it would save them nearly $10. That's how I thought it would "help alot of people out".

Ah, Sveet's tourney. It just occurred to me that I didn't know what the name of it was (I still dunno wtf Andrew's talking about with HDR though). Thanks for the offer, Josh, but I'm gonna be more than content to just have a more laid back weekend at Purdue. Plus, I had to leave early last week, so I wanna make up for lost time, heh.

/johns
it's all good bro ^_^, there'll be other tournies...plus i'm finding college to be more manageable than i thought so i could possibly roll around for a weekend just to chill with you guys :)

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
I do understand the concept of money. I do not follow your logic though.

Lower the entry fee because most people will not place in the money? That's a given for any tournament and no reason to lower the entry fee.

Lower the entry fee because the tournament is smaller? Why?

The only reason I think we should lower the entry fee is if it is stopping a majority of people from entering, which i do not believe is the case here.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
The entry fee speaks about the audience of the tournament. People want experience or want to have fun want the entry fee lower. The players who are fighting to win want the entry fee higher.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
With a tournament as large as the one we had last week, it would've been foolish to lower the entry fee mainly because we most likely would not have gotten the OoSer's and because with a turnout as large as it was, we wouldn't have wanted to take the competitive edge out of it (the cashes for the top three was a nice chunk of money). However, when it's just going to be a small group of like 8-10, all of which are good friends with each other, I just thought it would be nice to allow them to enter the tournament without having to cough up $10.

Look, I really don't wanna continue to get into this. We seem to disagree about like everything anymore, so I really don't want to argue about it, especially on the boards. I'll admit, I kinda started it with the whole "not understanding the concept of money" jab, so I apologize. Let's just drop it. I'm down with going either way.

Yeah Josh, that would be pretty baller if you came down again sometime soon. Just let us know.

Moooose

Smash Champion
ya none of my business but
if its only 8-10 people and people already know who's gonna win...not much point in havin a huge entry fee
if thats not the case then carry on

Mr H

Smash Ace
ya i agree it should only be $1

also Hide the children! Crrrrrrrrrrrrg is comin to town

DeezNutZ

Smash Journeyman
lower entrance fee gives me less motivation to be serious even if I am not expecting to win money it feels like more value to me when it is $5 I am entering with. I personally was looking forward to full tourny fees.

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
And as one of the less competitive people here (and probably one of the more broke most of the time) changing the entry fee doesn't really affect anything. I understand why you'd want to lower it, and I understand why you'd want to keep it $5 ... buuuuuut since it doesn't really affect anything, I vote stick with the patter and just leave the $5 entry fee.

Top Bottom