• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Mr. H, you really have to learn how to Float Cancel, for real.

It's better and easier then L-Canceling (since it reduces all lag).

Same goes for you to Goose. You guys are killing me xD

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, so THAT'S what this crazy float-canceling business is all about! I read up and tinkered around with it for a bit, and I think I understand. I always heard the term being thrown around, but didn't really know what was up with it. So basically, once I'm floating, as long as I cancel my float AFTER I initiate an aerial, all my aerials should only have 4 frames, right? I was really messin' with it just recently, and it seems to be quite useful. Her F-airs are like 3626764 times better now. Can I combine the float cancel with an L-cancel to make the lag only 2 frames instead of 4 (I'm greedy)? Also, since I'm lazy, it's nice to not have to reach my fingers all the way to that pesky R button to L-cancel. Seriously, though, one bad thing I can see is that I'll get in the habit of not L-canceling an aerial that I had no intention of float-canceling with. All in all, Peach has just gotten alot more interesting.....:p

If my understanding of it is not completely accurate, or if there's something else you'd wanna add, let me know.

I always told all you guys that there's tons of **** in this game that I simply don't know about. But alot of you guys never believed me. Let this be a lesson for ya. lol

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
There's no way you can get in a habit to no l-cancel since Peach is the only character you can float with. My muscles only remember to float cancel after I input the commands to float in the first place.

Practice doing a floats very close to the ground, quickly doing an aerial, and quickly canceling the float. This is basically Peach's way of SHFFLing. Nice things you can play around with the float cancel is immediately retreating with a dash, doing a quick move such as a jab, dsmash, short hop nair, etc (anything fast). to avoid being punished. Basically, the float cancel can have similar priorities to space animals shining after aerials. Like how Falco pillars shines to apply pressure on the opponent, Peach can do quick float canceled Nairs into Jab, repeat.

Watch technical Peach players such as Cort, Mikey G, and XiF to get the basic idea of how to incooperate float canceling.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Bunbun, I ran into Anthony from Wiley today, and he said he would like to come to this. He's this tall, skinny Sega fanboy who also plays 3S. He said he knows you (he asked me today if I knew "Izzy"). Draco, would you be OK with welcoming a new guy? He's waiting for me to give him a call, so let me know.

Mr H

Smash Ace
Mr. H, you really have to learn how to Float Cancel, for real.

It's better and easier then L-Canceling (since it reduces all lag).

Same goes for you to Goose. You guys are killing me xD
i always thought L cancel reduced the same lag as float canceling lol i guess i better start doing Float canceling now lol

voorhese

Smash Master
hey im not trying to "make noise about monticello using this thread" its that u guys are like the only people i know, i and i post here, and since i dont live by purdue i dont play anyone but people here.... so if i talk about anything its prolly about here, or last time i was there... on a side note, renth is saving up money so he can come play with me, but i have to find housing, which will take like 4-3 months when my mom comes back here and gets a place, but if he come he will also play in ssbo with me, and we will prolly double together....

Mr H

Smash Ace
hey im not trying to "make noise about monticello using this thread"
np its just we were trying to explain to u that ur post wernt really relevant to us, sorta like if i would post stuff about Bloomington IL smashers on here it wouldn't apply to any of the people that post on this thread :lick:

voorhese

Smash Master
np its just we were trying to explain to u that ur post wernt really relevant to us, sorta like if i would post stuff about Bloomington IL smashers on here it wouldn't apply to any of the people that post on this thread :lick:

well i think i missunderstood, i was thinkning u said i was "advertising" monticello, i was just talking about me playing, since u guys r the only guys i talk to about smash... and the only people i play live here..

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Bunbun, I ran into Anthony from Wiley today, and he said he would like to come to this. He's this tall, skinny Sega fanboy who also plays 3S. He said he knows you (he asked me today if I knew "Izzy"). Draco, would you be OK with welcoming a new guy? He's waiting for me to give him a call, so let me know.
Andrew posting from Anthony's:
Yeah dude, that's Olivera. He's in my *** class. He wants to come to the SSBO next saturday too.

Also, I played Kenny in 3S the other day.

F!ck!

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

'Fro

Smash Lord
Andrew posting from Anthony's:
Yeah dude, that's Olivera. He's in my *** class. He wants to come to the SSBO next saturday too.

Also, I played Kenny in 3S the other day.

F!ck!

sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
You played Kenny? Hopefully he didn't use his Chun....That ****'s ugly. I can only beat him on a really good day. My Ryu just gets destroyed otherwise. The match-up is as bad for Ryu as Samus vs. Sheik.

DracoFox

Smash Ace
Ya, he's welcome to come tomorrow. As for now. Must sleep. Btw, we're holding the smashfest down stairs this time. PLEASE bring set ups!!!! Thats a TV and System. I'll work with getting serge protectors set up as well to help out. but ya. Just need 2 more set up for 1 doubles maybe, and 2 singles going on.

_kSo_

Smash Master
yo wats up ****ers im wasted i can typoe with one hand ownddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd nooooooooobzzzzzzzzz
you noobsauce

this is george calling me at 2 in the morning

me: ur drunk as hell right now aren't you
george: wasssssupppppp fuckerrrrrrrrrrrssssssssssss

voorhese

Smash Master
hey renth said i can smash di (up) the first hit of foxes up-air, and second hit wont hit me is this true, if so is it to risky to try, because if i smash di- and he still hits me i have no smash di at all right?

name

Smash Cadet
I am gonna be outside tark/wiley where BunBun dropped us off last time at around 5:45, text me with corrections or if you need a ride. I only have room for 4 people and stuff in the trunk.

615-243-3392

Zomg noes. My phone numberzzz!

voorhese

Smash Master
hey not to "make noise" or anything but check my monticello thread (new) basicly im gonna start bi-weeklys like urs except on opposite weeks, first one may be the 18th, im not doing this to "bring other people in", im just letting the people who go to ssbo know.... have fun at the smashfest today

DracoFox

Smash Ace
See, I'm never going to post my Number... If you have it, you have it. Just don't pass it around to others. It's rude, and I don't feel like being mean when I play against you in Smash.

name

Smash Cadet
I understand, I just don't care bout who has my phone number. I usually don't pick up if I don't know the number anyway. Anyway, might be a little late to tark/wiley. Have received 0 texts.

'Fro

Smash Lord
hey is anyone here going to event 52?
I'm not. Too much school crap to take care of.

Good Smashing to everyone at Draco's last night! Carl and Jay, I'm glad I finally got to have some singles matches with the two of you! Also, any surprises aside, I should be good for SSBO next week. Our club's weekend trip is gonna be the week after.

name

Smash Cadet
That's uh... Almost a day of driving back and forth from Purdue. Woo!

But honestly, that sounds pretty cool/gigantic. I wish they did the break ups more like WSOP though, where like... the first person in the top 10 gets their money back, then it scales from there. Of course you'd just need a huge entry pool. It'd be awesome if we could start getting the kinda pull around here. I mean, last week we had 14 people and that was with Carl and Jay missing. That's 1/4th of 64 people just within like a two hour radius, ten of those people I think came from Purdue.

Here's a quick idea, if you don't like it that's fine, but don't insult me; be constructive. What if we started taking like... 5 or 10% off the pot and saved it, then we held put it towards a huge tournament at the end? So there would be more money than just entry fees (Kinda like Area 52 is doing, but I have no idea where their money came from).

Cons:
-It'd have to be our money and we'd just be competing for it again while other people get to pay the same entry fee at a chance to get more money
-Less money for winners in the bi-weeklys

Pros:
-It could get a much bigger crowd coming in, giving us a chance at winning more people's money!
-You won't see that much of a difference in how much money people get for placing, you'll probably barely notice.

People aren't just gonna drive for a few hours to play some smash (unless they're desperate) but if you increase the stakes, they might wanna try to take a shot at it. That's really probably the only way we're gonna see more people coming in here. Thoughts? Opinions?

BunBun

Smash Master
Anthony and I have been talking about a way to set up a large tournament (such as Event 52) here at Purdue. I think the main problem isn't drawing people here, it's taking care of them once they get here.

Problem 1: the Venue.
I don't know how happy Wiley will be when we bring in 50-60 non Purdue people to play smash, and if we do manage to solve this then we have....
Problem 2: The housing.
Most of us live in dorms ( or some permutation of dorms) and can't house very many people. Every single person that comes here will need a place to stay, and most won't want to drop $$$ for a hotel. This is a pretty big issue...
Problem 3: Transportation
According to Anthony, generally people are picked up from the Airport and brought to the tournament location (wtf, seriously?). This obviously won't work for us, because the nearest large airport is like an hour away.

Anyway, we'll try to come up with some solution, because I really want a massive-*** tournament here.

name

Smash Cadet
Seriously? People fly? That's lame. For the Tekken thing I was in people DROVE from NEW ****ING YORK, that's crazy!

Anyway -

Solution 1: As far as venue goes, I don't think that they'll have a huge problem with it? Just cuz we use it means non-Purdue people can't come? Maybe if we were an official club or something... I don't see this being THAT huge of an issue. If necessary we COULD use my house. It's pretty decently sized, Garage, Den, Rooms, but that'd have to be like a last resort or something. My living people probably would not enjoy that, but they might be willing to do it, but first we'd have to actually get it organized.

Solution 2: I has a house? I mean, granted, you'd pretty much be sleeping on top of each other, but I could probably fit... 10 people sleeping in my room on sleeping bags? Not to mention the Den or Garage (could park the cars outside). The only real problem would be me having that many people in my house that I don't know/having to deal with them. Also, you guys have dorms, having like a couple of people sleeping here and there should be alright, not to mention some peoples Frats potentially. It might be annoying with people wanting to stay with certain people to want to play.

Problem 3: Is this really a problem for only our (possibility of having) tournament? I'm sure this is a major inconvenience for anyone going to any tournament, but we're in pretty decent driving range from some pretty big places. Ohio and Chicago are three hours away not to mention what we already have here. And Indy is only about an hour away (not sure what the scene is like there). Also, getting people from the airports might not be a huge problem, if they fly into Chicago, just fly in early and get a ride with someone from Chicago. Same with Indy. I -might- be willing to drive to Indy (they'd have to pay for gas of course), but that'd only be able to pick up five people at best.

I think if we do it at the end of the summer this would be fine. I'm pretty sure my house mates would be going back home, that'd leave me with a huge house, basically a den the size of that back room we played teams in for the last SSBO and a few dorm rooms and a garage if we need it. I don't have much in the way of seating/set ups/tables so people might have to help there. But it is becoming a possibility. Unless we actually are going to do this though I'm not going to look into it, but if you guys feel like you could get a huge showing I'll ask my house mates about it and see what I can do. It might be a little cramped, but I'm thinkin like... 4 set ups in the den, 3 set ups per room, with about 3-4 rooms ( depends on if people are goin home) Then like... 5-6 set ups in the garage, that's about... 20+ set ups, would that be enough or do we need like a gym?

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Sorry guys, but the Spadish is taking next weekend off. I guess someone in our family needs to borrow it :/ We're gonna have to put up with the truck instead which will only fit five peeps. So we'll need to plan accordingly.

Also, Andrew, I MAT take you up on your invitation cause there's a slight chance that my cousin will be leaving town next weekend (I was planning on staying at his place).

Also,

him which who while that being a stranger
LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

*EDIT*

My living people probably would not enjoy that, but they might be willing to do it
Opposed to what? Your NONliving peple!? I aint goin' to no tourney with zombies and inferi (a la Harry Potter) and such roamin' around the joint.

Heh, j/k. It's nice to see how committed you are at getting this to work. I'd totally be down for it if we can make it happen.

Mr H

Smash Ace
Sorry guys, but the Spadish is taking next weekend off. I guess someone in our family needs to borrow it :/ We're gonna have to put up with the truck instead which will only fit five peeps. So we'll need to plan accordingly.

Also, Andrew, I MAT take you up on your invitation cause there's a slight chance that my cousin will be leaving town next weekend (I was planning on staying at his place).
lol people can ride in the back of the spatruck ?(i guess we can call it that)
and i was going to stay at bryan/brians house so does any one have a place for me to stay? :O

Top Bottom