• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

'Fro

Smash Lord
Not gonna lie BunBun, you play some really goofy fighting games. I'd never heard of either of those (SWR or IaMP) but I looked em up and they're kinda crazy. If anyone else is curious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiK4PUNGVlE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anibpxml52g&feature=related

That's not really up my alley.
That...was different.

Hey Andrew, are you Andrew Eskind by any chance?

Also, good luck to Carl and Jay in Minnesota. Granted I wish I had the chance to play you guys on Saturday, but all the same, wish you the best out there!

BIG C

Smash Master
so whats with all obscure fighters being little girls fighting each other???? i dun get it i wouldn't want to fight with little girls as my characters. clearly you *****es need some msh vs sf or any of the broken *** marvel fighting games

BunBun

Smash Master
Not gonna lie BunBun, you play some really goofy fighting games. I'd never heard of either of those (SWR or IaMP) but I looked em up and they're kinda crazy. If anyone else is curious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiK4PUNGVlE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anibpxml52g&feature=related

That's not really up my alley.
SWR sucks, but IaMP is a lot of fun. Projectile based fighting is a lot of fun. And yeah, I play goofy *** games, but they're a lot of fun. Don't knock 'em until you've tried 'em.

so whats with all obscure fighters being little girls fighting each other???? i dun get it i wouldn't want to fight with little girls as my characters. clearly you *****es need some msh vs sf or any of the broken *** marvel fighting games
Blame Japan for that. The problem I have with SF, Marvel and most VS games are that they play almost the same. I like a little variety in my games, whether it be gameplay or characters. Arcana Heart was fun because of the Arcana system (although it was a bit shallow, it still made coming up with strategy fun) and the homing button. It was a solid, different type of fighter. IaMP was projectile-driven and the characters had such an insane amount of variety you had to take a good bit of time to learn each character well.

Ah, weird games are fun as hell.

FYI: I'm a quirky person, so quirky games fit me quite well.

name

Smash Cadet
Hahaha. Yes Ahmed, I am Andrew Eskind, not by chance however. Yeah, I understand what you're sayin about the MvC or Marvel vs anyone games.

When it comes to Street Fighter, I think that one is a little more balanced. I'm a huge fan of any game where lower tier characters can win tournaments. See Kuroda in 3S or Knee in Tekken/Tekken DR or just look at the SBO results in T6. Sure, Chun-Lis and Devil Jins will mostly be at the top, but when it comes to the world championship matches, the amazing low tier players will show up and they can rock and win.

I imagined as such. Of the two, IaMP does look a lot more fun, but it doesn't look like it has very much to do with mix-ups or mind games so much as reaction speed (where I fail horridly). It also looks like it has a lot to do with trajectory.

Anyway, I'll actually ask a smash related question now!! So, the two characters that I like to play as in SSBM are Dr. Mario and Game&Watch. I am pretty sure neither of those are top tier, but Doc I hear is higher on up there. However, Game & Watch is my favorite and I was wonderin if anyone in our Purdue group plays G&W to any serious extent. I was wonderin if they could give me some tips! That's all, can't wait for this saturday!!!

BunBun

Smash Master
IaMP is more about mind games and setup than anything else. Frame traps and wake-up games are the most important strategies.
Trajectory is important more to trap the opponent rather than hit them. The main idea is to trap someone into grazing bullets so you can punish their graze and put them into a combo.
IaMP combos are viciously situational, so yeah, reaction times come into play there. At least it's not always the same BnB over and over again. (i.e. 2a 2b 2c 5c j.c b j.c b grab).

Street Fighter never really appealed to me that much, but I know a lot of people enjoy it (and I won't deny it's praised as one of, if not, the best fighting games of all time). For some reason I never got into it like I did Guilty Gear, SNK games, Melty Blood or other stupid, non commercial fighting games.

Also, I don't know about serious G&W players, but I'd bet Carl would be able to something with him. He enjoys non-high tier characters.

EDIT: Also, that IaMP combo video sucked. Most of it was just spell card abuse setups.

'Fro

Smash Lord
BunBun, you telling me you've NEVER tried 3rd Strike at least? If you like mindgames, frametraps, and the like, 3S is chock-full of those. Mix-ups are probably the single most important element of the game, which is easily evident in the game's better characters. However, mix-ups can still trip you up against the lower tiers, which is why the game has gone on strong for nine years.

name, glad you found your way here,man! You get to see these bi-weeklies first-hand! And experience the awesomeness of the Purdue Crew while you're at it! You may even change your opinion on Melee! I know I did when I started playing with these guys.

BunBun

Smash Master
BunBun, you telling me you've NEVER tried 3rd Strike at least? If you like mindgames, frametraps, and the like, 3S is chock-full of those. Mix-ups are probably the single most important element of the game, which is easily evident in the game's better characters. However, mix-ups can still trip you up against the lower tiers, which is why the game has gone on strong for nine years.

name, glad you found your way here,man! You get to see these bi-weeklies first-hand! And experience the awesomeness of the Purdue Crew while you're at it! You may even change your opinion on Melee! I know I did when I started playing with these guys.

Never been to an arcade that had it.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Never been to an arcade that had it.
Well, Purdue has it at the Union, and we have a pretty decent crowd for it. I try to go there between my classes as much as my time allows me. It's a 50 cents a game, which is much less of a rip-off than most of what's in there.

DracoFox

Smash Ace
why not, and there not playing bcuz they suck
Is this you saying that they suck, or is it them saying it?

And that's the same **** john that I have to deal with at my place. Who cares if you suck guys. People need to get their head out of their @$$ and stop being like a brawl dumb ***. You play and you lose/win. WHO GIVES A FLYING **** ABOUT IT? I swear I lost a huge Melee crowd cause they got tired of losing. And now they only like to play brawl cause they actually have a chance at winning some matches against me. And now my only Melee crowd is you guys. I can be thankful to have something at all.

If you honestly cared enough by losing all the time, then why the hell did you not do some off hand practice to help improve your game play? I get so sick of everyone's lame *** johns about losing too much. If you're going to complain on losing, try complaining on how you lost, not that the person is better than you. Who cares if you lose? So you lost, I hope you learned at least something from the match up.

I hate to use Mr. H as an example, but its better than use'n someone else for this.
Me and Mr. H used to play Melee a long time ago. HE used to be better than me, then not too far down the road, I started to practice more and became better than him. I still am, but Mr. H has in return been working hard at improving his game play. A lot of you have seen his huge improvement since he first started coming to the tournaments with me. He is actually getting some wins here and then a lot more often.

If you are gonna stop playing people just because they are better than you, don't even show yourself. All I want is for people to come, REGARDLESS if you're wasting money, and enjoy having a good time with others that have the same interest in a game as you do. I know losing sucks, but its better than being the one winning all the time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aside from that. Thank you guys for coming over on Saturday for the Smash Fest. ^-^ Finally got a good fixing playing Melee. Another note to this, PLEASE do not trash talk about brawl around my roommates again while they play it. I know how much you guys don't like it, but they were respecting us playing Melee AND not saying a word about how much they don't like Melee. -_-; It was pretty low to do that, plus I had to hear them complain about it as well. So no more of that, please.

As for this up coming tournament. I will be stop'n by after I get out of work, but I will not join up for being part of the tournament if I'm there at a decent time. So, I'll be looking forward to seeing you all there, whom ever there might be.

Anyways.... 2:31am and I've got work in 6hrs.... Must....gg.g.g.g..get sleep. -_- After I get rolled.

_kSo_

Smash Master

And that's the same **** john that I have to deal with at my place. Who cares if you suck guys. People need to get their head out of their @$$ and stop being like a brawl dumb ***. You play and you lose/win. WHO GIVES A FLYING **** ABOUT IT? I swear I lost a huge Melee crowd cause they got tired of losing. And now they only like to play brawl cause they actually have a chance at winning some matches against me. And now my only Melee crowd is you guys. I can be thankful to have something at all.

If you honestly cared enough by losing all the time, then why the hell did you not do some off hand practice to help improve your game play? I get so sick of everyone's lame *** johns about losing too much. If you're going to complain on losing, try complaining on how you lost, not that the person is better than you. Who cares if you lose? So you lost, I hope you learned at least something from the match up.

I hate to use Mr. H as an example, but its better than use'n someone else for this.
Me and Mr. H used to play Melee a long time ago. HE used to be better than me, then not too far down the road, I started to practice more and became better than him. I still am, but Mr. H has in return been working hard at improving his game play. A lot of you have seen his huge improvement since he first started coming to the tournaments with me. He is actually getting some wins here and then a lot more often.

If you are gonna stop playing people just because they are better than you, don't even show yourself. All I want is for people to come, REGARDLESS if you're wasting money, and enjoy having a good time with others that have the same interest in a game as you do. I know losing sucks, but its better than being the one winning all the time.
One of the guys in my frat told me today that "no one likes playing you because you never go easy on us. You always pick a good character."

My response was "how the hell are you guys going to get better if i play fucking pichu or yoshi"

Lucky for me, they all play each other a lot too, and I get in every once in a while to beat on them, but they still play melee, not brawl, which is pretty amazing in itself.

still, what he said made me laugh

BunBun

Smash Master

Yeah, I always lose but I rarely complain.

Well, Purdue has it at the Union, and we have a pretty decent crowd for it. I try to go there between my classes as much as my time allows me. It's a 50 cents a game, which is much less of a rip-off than most of what's in there.
I'll give it a try some time.

name

Smash Cadet
Not like I can really talk about losing in melee, but I can relate. It's frustrating to lose all the time. I try to learn from my mistakes, but I believe that you don't get better by simply getting your *** pummeled into the ground repeatedly. You've gotta have someone help you get better, teach you some stuff, point out your mistakes as you make them, not just destroy you. Sure, quitting because you lose a lot is quite childish, and you should hone your technique when you're not practicing against other people, but it's also helpful if you point out to people where they can improve. Kicking someone's *** isn't helpful, teaching them why they're getting their *** kicked is.

name

Smash Cadet
Yeah, but when plan B also fails, it's nice for someone to tell you, hey, try this plan C thing. Ooooh, I didn't think of plan C! Thanks!

voorhese

Smash Master

I to use Mr. H as an example, but its better than use'n someone else for this.

Aside from that. Thank you guys for coming over on Saturday for the Smash Fest. ^-^ Finally got a good fixing playing Melee. Another note to this, PLEASE do not trash talk about brawl around my roommates again while they play it. I know how much you guys don't like it, but they were respecting us playing Melee AND not saying a word about how much they don't like Melee. -_-; It was pretty low to do that, plus I had to hear them complain about it as well. So no more of that, please.

As for this up coming tournament. I will be stop'n by after I get out of work, but I will not join up for being part of the tournament if I'm there at a decent time. So, I'll be looking forward to seeing you all there, whom ever there might be.

Anyways.... 2:31am and I've got work in 6hrs.... Must....gg.g.g.g..get sleep. -_- After I get rolled.
.... im pretty sure ur flaming the people i said suck, and if u are, thats exactly it (the old "we'll never be as good as u, so why try) johns, also to fro i have been practicing tech skill, and combos on diff chars, but theres only like 6 chars a practice on: fox falco cfalcon ganon marth and sometimes peach.....and sad to say its getting boring without playing people, so i have to just rough it and practice tech skill 30 minuites to 2 hours a day, and hope i play someone... also im sry but idk if i can make it, because i quit my job, and my grandma said shes not gonna give me like 40$ to go to this one, and if i get a job, i wont get any money untill after this, and if i could get some money off of japn untill i get a job and all that, i would, but idk if hes going, and if he decides he wants to we have to find a ride 3 years in advance for his dad to let him go, bcuz our last 3 rides bailed at the last second..... and im getting this out of the way :QUOTE - EVERYONE NO JOHNS!

oh and draco, i was saying they suck cuz they wont play, even tho i will help them, the good news is one of the guys i never played with, untill awhile ago (which made him quite smash) is letting one of the only interested playing in monticello borrow his game, so i will have someone soon =)

'Fro

Smash Lord
God, get those Monticello people of the John Horse already! It's getting seriously disappointing to hear how many people quit like that.

If I had that mentality, I wouldn't have learned all that I have in fighting games today. I used to get destroyed in 3S, Soul Calibur, Melee, Virtua Fighter,you name it. While I'm still learning each of those games and I'm still losing to better players, I've improved to the point where I can beat people I couldn't touch before. I would get frustrated, but eventually I learned from a lot of my old mistakes.

BIG C

Smash Master
.... im pretty sure ur flaming the people i said suck, and if u are, thats exactly it (the old "we'll never be as good as u, so why try) johns, also to fro i have been practicing tech skill, and combos on diff chars, but theres only like 6 chars a practice on: fox falco cfalcon ganon marth and sometimes peach.....and sad to say its getting boring without playing people, so i have to just rough it and practice tech skill 30 minuites to 2 hours a day, and hope i play someone... also im sry but idk if i can make it, because i quit my job, and my grandma said shes not gonna give me like 40$ to go to this one, and if i get a job, i wont get any money untill after this, and if i could get some money off of japn untill i get a job and all that, i would, but idk if hes going, and if he decides he wants to we have to find a ride 3 years in advance for his dad to let him go, bcuz our last 3 rides bailed at the last second..... and im getting this out of the way :QUOTE - EVERYONE NO JOHNS!

oh and draco, i was saying they suck cuz they wont play, even tho i will help them, the good news is one of the guys i never played with, untill awhile ago (which made him quite smash) is letting one of the only interested playing in monticello borrow his game, so i will have someone soon =)
just quit melee and play brawl all your friends will play with you then and you can go to tournaments that have more than 10 ppl.

mecatomato

Smash Lord
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332
Maus, don't forget Iggy was in Purdue.
iggy didn't play people much.
he was more into WOW, which was fact.

but yeah. Also, Iggy.

And,,,
Jason voorhese //

I've never met you, hence we have never played each other.
I will be in Purdue during Fall break (October 10th to 14th).

look forward to see you during fall break. heh.

don't forget I go to purdue noob

Don't forget i am Korean, Bihatche

Top Bottom