• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
lol, apparently you got good enough to take on my mains O_o

Feel free to MM my one of my low tiers afterwards >.>

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
SSBO XXXIII Venue: Tarkington TV Lounge

SSBO XXXIII is being held at Tarkington's TV Lounge, the same venue as last time. I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
we have tarks basement reserved btw
The venue has been changed to Tarkington Hall's downstairs TV Lounge. I apologize for any confusion or inconvenience. This is the final change. Tarkington is the final venue for SSBO XXXIII.

Edit: Voorhese, we'll actually probably be starting singles around 5 or 6 PM. =/

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
SSBO XXXIII Final Venue: Tarkington Hall TV Lounge

I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion caused by this venue situation, guys. However, thanks to Andre, we finally have a definitive venue for SSBO XXXIII, which is Tarkington's TV Lounge, the same place as usual.

Once again, the venue for SSBO XXXIII is definitely set as Tarkington's TV Lounge. Sorry again for any confusion.

XD1337

Smash Apprentice
sorry for the confusion, I should have clarified that the room was reserved earlier.

voorhese

Smash Master
I apologize for any inconvenience or confusion caused by this venue situation, guys. However, thanks to Andre, we finally have a definitive venue for SSBO XXXIII, which is Tarkington's TV Lounge, the same place as usual.

Once again, the venue for SSBO XXXIII is definitely set as Tarkington's TV Lounge. Sorry again for any confusion.
ok so now i have to let my ride know tomorrow lol

voorhese

Smash Master
lol sorry kirk and hippy (and who ever else missed singles because i had to play pools and 2 rounds of brackets)

shout outs later (im in a hurry to get street fighter chicken XD )

COHEED AND CAMBRIA

Smash Ace
Does Indiana think they can make the My Big melee Tournament on NOv 28th? PA is already coming and we are talking to other states too about making it

'Fro

Smash Lord
Awesome showing in spite of the numbers today, guys! I feel like I've been refreshed thoroughly! I'll be posting full shoutouts later, 'cause they'll require some effort to be done justice!

voorhese

Smash Master
i have a question that you guys might be able to answer (cuz ur all smart), if your familiar with the ELO rating system (for chess) you may be able to answer this, if you are not familiar i will explain the basics,

The first 20 games are used to establish player's rating on the website. During the first 20 games, the player's rating is calculated as an average of the ratings of all his/her opponents, +400 in case of a win, -400 in case of a loss, same for a draw. +/-200 points are used when playing against a player with a provisional rating.
PLayer's rating is provisional during the first 20 games, after which it becomes established.
Player's rating is considered to be equal to 1200 during the first 5 rated games.

Timeouts are counted as wins only if there were at least 3 moves made in the game (losses are always counted for the timed out players, regardless of how many moves were made).

The higher of two ratings, at the beginning of the game and at the end, is used to calculate the rating adjustments after the game is over.

For example, if during your first 20 rated games, you played 3 games and you won against 1200 player with provisional rating, then against 1400 player with established rating, but lost against 1600 player with established rating, your rating will be:
( (1200 + 200) + (1400 + 400) + (1600 - 400) ) / 3 = 1467

Or, if during your first 20 rated games, you win against 1200 provisional, win against 1400 established, lose against 1600 provisional, draw against 1500, your rating will be:
( (1200 + 200) + (1400 + 400) + (1600 - 200) + 1500 ) / 4 = 1525

(from a chess website i started playing on)

my high school is going to use this system, and me being at the top my quesion is, if im at the top then if i win or lose my rating will go down wont it?

unless they are 400 less than me, and i win everytime

edit: would this system be a better alternate to the challenge system we use at purdue?

kirkq

Smash Ace
ELO is a pretty solid rating system, they use it to keep starcraft stats on Teamliquid. It would be somewhat of a pain to implement, as it would be a lot of bookkeeping. It actually gives a sort of relative measure of the skill gaps between people as opposed to "This person did better than this person on this week."

voorhese

Smash Master
ELO is a pretty solid rating system, they use it to keep starcraft stats on Teamliquid. It would be somewhat of a pain to implement, as it would be a lot of bookkeeping. It actually gives a sort of relative measure of the skill gaps between people as opposed to "This person did better than this person on this week."
well i thought about it more, and i was thinking cant you do ratings right away, like start at 1200, then just average it with your next matches result, then after you get ur new rating, just average that out with your next match, would that be the same?

Top Bottom