• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Super Mario Galaxy

Lightsaberboy

Smash Champion
I haven't actually played it yet, but I've seen friends play it a lot. It doesn't seem to compare to Mario64 or even Sunshine, to me. There seem to be a lot of limitations. I remember in 64 and Sunshine being able to cut the course times down a lot by doing long jumps and wall jumps, etc. etc.

Galaxy didn't seem to really have that with the jumping from planetoid to planetoid thing.

I'm not sure; I haven't played it yet, but that's my initial impression.
check out this race vid. there's a bunch of acrobatic stuff going on. it has the secret unlockable character on it tho.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbccNCzNuvk

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
@ Metaknight. There is a certain(and quite funny) trick you can do with the sweep kick. Go to the first floor of the observatory go to the place with the couches and rug. Stand before the first step and do a sweep kick into it. You rise a bit off the ground while still spinning. I call it the ice skater. Another trick you can do: go to the same place described. Go on top of the first step and walk into the second step so that you are pushing against it. Crouch and do the spin kick. You should bounce off and it'll look like Mario humped the stairs.
I will share more of my glitches next week, goodbye.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
So because my 360 didn't come today and it's the holiday weekend, I went out and finally rented the game. I should be playing Rock Band all weekend, but it looks like it's Mario Galaxy instead. So I'm about 4 hours in, have around 41 stars. I've completed the first 3 Domes, having just unlocked the Bedroom Dome. The game is good, but really, I don't see how this is now the highest rated game ever, it feels like Mario 64 on a ball instead of in a box. I've had quite a few issues with the controls not wanting to register, which didn't turn out too well when I was battling
Bouldergeist
, especially during the Prankster Comet "lol you cant get hit once" run. I'm finding the camera really awkward as well. Sure, the game is good, it feels nice to play an actual game on my Wii, but this being the highest rated game ever really makes me doubt reviewers.

QDVS

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah my only real complaints about this game were the camera at times, and that as some have said I felt more restricted in my path!!!

Like once you pick a star (unless you get a hidden star) thats the only star you can get, whereas in Mario 64 it was more of a hint than the path you HAD to take!!!

:colorful:

blazer787

Smash Journeyman
You have given almost no reason why you despise this game.
the only things tis game has going for it is the music
wich all TP had going for it
, and smooth looking graphics.
i'll state a few of the many reasons i dislike this game.
as QDVS stated the camra sucks with the environment, and you have almost no free path. this also kills its difficulty to a negitive level of gameplay.

The rAt, my trash can also likes cheese pizza:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
As you guys have said, the only thing that I dislike about this game is that you can't go around and collect the stars that you want. But it doesn't really matter to me that much. I've had little to no problems with the camera and the controls just took around 3 minutes to get used to. So, not too many complaints from me.

Anyways, time to resume my second playthrough!!!!!

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
So because my 360 didn't come today and it's the holiday weekend, I went out and finally rented the game. I should be playing Rock Band all weekend, but it looks like it's Mario Galaxy instead. So I'm about 4 hours in, have around 41 stars. I've completed the first 3 Domes, having just unlocked the Bedroom Dome. The game is good, but really, I don't see how this is now the highest rated game ever, it feels like Mario 64 on a ball instead of in a box. I've had quite a few issues with the controls not wanting to register, which didn't turn out too well when I was battling
Bouldergeist
, especially during the Prankster Comet "lol you cant get hit once" run. I'm finding the camera really awkward as well. Sure, the game is good, it feels nice to play an actual game on my Wii, but this being the highest rated game ever really makes me doubt reviewers.
That Prankster comet battle was easy. I'm surprised so many people are having problems with it.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I didn't say it was difficult. I implied that the unresponsive controls made it harder than it should be. And if you didn't die once on that prankster comet, great, you're showing how awesome you are over the internet. I died about 5 times. I suck. :C

edit: Oh! Forgot why I even came in here. Almost done with the game. 108 stars. Just a handful of purple coin comets left.

NintendoWarrior

Smash Lord
I didn't say it was difficult. I implied that the unresponsive controls made it harder than it should be. And if you didn't die once on that prankster comet, great, you're showing how awesome you are over the internet. I died about 5 times. I suck. :C

edit: Oh! Forgot why I even came in here. Almost done with the game. 108 stars. Just a handful of purple coin comets left.
My controls have been fine.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Got all 120 stars and finished the game last night at 3:30. Glad I just rented this, there aren't any levels that I just want to go mess around in like I did so much in Mario 64.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
You guys, I just beat the first star of the bowser toy thing without using spring mario. It was pretty sick.

M.K

Level 55
I love the Ice Donut at the beginning of the Freezeflame Galaxy, I seriously spent 20 minutes just skating around!

MetalLuigi1209

Smash Ace
Hah, I had to laugh today. I was in a store, and was looking at some games, and I showed my friend Mario and Sonic at the olympics, and he thought it was cool, and he thought that sonic was in all mario games.
Anyways, so we went to my house, and I let him play galaxy, and when he those blue little blobs stuck to Mario's head, he thought that he turned into sonic, cuz they were blue:laugh:. When I told him that they simply sticked on to you, he said "but, I thought that mario owns sonic so I thought I unlocked him".
It was a really really funny moment. I am now 95 stars in, and I have to say that
flying mario is wicked awesome!!! (sorry I didnt know if this was a spoiler, but it wasnt in the manual or anything...)

greenblob

Smash Lord
I got this game yesterday and I'm about 10 stars in.
I have to say that I'm somewhat disappointed, but maybe that's just because I play multiplayer games almost exclusively and because I was forced to pick between this, Metroid, MoHH2, and Super Mario Strikers (which would inevitably lead to regret).

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Anyone have any tips for the
second bomb trash challenge? I can't seem to throw the bombs in the right place.

MetalLuigi1209

Smash Ace
second bomb trash challenge? I can't seem to throw the bombs in the right place.
Whoa, I'm stuck on the exact same star. I think that you are supposed to throw the bombs on the yellow dots that are on the floor, but its really hard, since the bombs take so long to explode! Im gonna find a walkthrough for this one.

adaptor17

Smash Journeyman
no not really,just try to throw the bombs not on the outside of the planet,but between like three or four of the trash things in order to hit multiple targets @ once.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I failed about 10 times on that challenge but just kept trying and eventually I got it with 6 seconds to spare.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Wow.

I really thought I was the only one having trouble with this because you have to place the bombs in the right place. Try throwing them where one bomb can blow up multiple trash piles. I know that's not any good info, but that's kind of all there is to it.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I figured out what I was doing wrong. I thought in order to pick up a bomb you needed to perform the spin attack. Turns out you can just walk right into it. That saved me about 1-2 seconds on every bomb thrown. That was the last star I needed!

Regarding the whole greatest game of all time thing, I think it just struck a chord with reviewers because of the nostalgia. It was a very well done part of the game, I mean when was the last time you saw magikoopa? Old-school side scrolling koopas? I haven't heard the special zone music since Super Mario Bros 3's water world and green hill level. I loved that stuff.

But there's just too much that bothered me to consider it the greatest game of all time. The fragments of story hardly make any sense, two player sucks, gravity affect is inconsistent, forced progression, blah,blah,blah. Regardless I did have fun but I just can't see this as the greatest game.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Ok, FINALLY got the game after pre-ordering it... didn't get a coin or anything like someone said, but I'm enjoying it.

One thing I actually like about the game is... the fur looks incredible!

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
there is TWO bomb trash things? also, can anyone help im stuck on a purple coin comet, in space junk galaxy?
You mean the one in which the floor appears out of nowhere? KK. Whenever you see a bunch of purple coins in the same spot just long jump to there. The floor will form as always and it'll save you lots of time.

MetalLuigi1209

Smash Ace
I just found a trick to the bomb trash level, if you jump on the bombs, u save like a second, since mario doesnt have to struggle to pick them up:), I finished it with 5 seconds left to spare.
I just beat the game, for some reason, my last star was the hidden star in the gold leaf galaxy... wierd I thought it would be star in the last level. Hah, I didnt bother to start a new game, I'm gonna wait a bit, so it will seem more fun to me.

iMichael

Smash Lord
Has anyone beat the game with that one guy yet(spoilers)? I can't seem to get into the game when I play with him, I guess Mario has got me hooked.

Coin Chaser

Smash Journeyman
the way i did was exactly like this......

aim for the coins in the ground....

1) took the 2nd bottom from the left and threw it at the far left top one to nail three of them

2) grab the left most bomb and get the furthest ones on the left (aim for the coins again) i think theres 2 piles to get there....

3) then i repeated that on the right side......aim for the 3 furtherest on the right far side with the bomb 2nd from the right and with the last bomb get the right most ones

4) you should have only the middle ones left, the other 2 should have appeared again...so pick of of them and throw it at one of the coins and take the other and throw it in the middle!

5) one of the other bombs should replenish and u throw that one at the other coin.....the trick to the middle one is to cause a chain reaction of the 1st one so u dont have to wait for the last one to explode

i think i had 2secs to spare....which is basically nothing in this....u really need to do these steps as fast as possible....finding the right distance to throw each.....and kno what the next step is......i saw someone suggested to jump on the bombs.....i cant confirm it but u can try it....it might save a lot of time.

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
...did you seriously beat the game eight times in just a few weeks?

iMichael

Smash Lord
after beating it 5 times with mario (120 stars) and 3 time with luigi i still stand by my opinion that this game is as overrated as TP and sucks even worse.
...did you seriously beat the game eight times in just a few weeks?
yes as a matter of fact i did.
Don't believe this guy, there's no way you beat the game eight times already. You say it sucks and you still continue to play it, he only wants attention and he seems to be getting it. SMG is alot of fun, but I don't think I can beat it eight times and I love the game. I barely play it with igiuL.

Top Bottom