• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Super Mario Galaxy 2

Scott!

Smash Lord
I'm going to start with a little story for all those people who are saying that this is gonna be the same as SMG1. Once upon a time, there was a game called The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It was the best thing ever. Better than sliced bread. And then, a few years later, its sequel, Majora's Mask came out. MM used the same engine and looked aesthetically very similar. Some people may (can't say for sure; I was too young) have expected it to be more of the same. But when they played it, they found that within the same technological constraints as the last game, an entirely new experience had been created. And it was also the best thing ever.

Moral: Just because 2 games use the same engine does not mean they will be the same, and does not mean they have the same story. Please, give the game a chance to prove itself.

Now, concerning the game itself, I do hope that Rosalina returns. She was awesome, and is the only character I use in MK:Wii, so she has to return. *crosses fingers*

Also, it was asked how far we got in SMG1. I got all 120 unaided by guides or internets. It did get tough by the end, with some of the daredevil runs, that rock boss in the ghost level without being hit, and the toyland purple coin levels standing out to me. I also got to about 30-40 with the man in green before moving on to the other Wii game I had at the time, Corruption.

HylianBoy

Smash Apprentice
I'm going to start with a little story for all those people who are saying that this is gonna be the same as SMG1. Once upon a time, there was a game called The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It was the best thing ever. Better than sliced bread. And then, a few years later, its sequel, Majora's Mask came out. MM used the same engine and looked aesthetically very similar. Some people may (can't say for sure; I was too young) have expected it to be more of the same. But when they played it, they found that within the same technological constraints as the last game, an entirely new experience had been created. And it was also the best thing ever.

Moral: Just because 2 games use the same engine does not mean they will be the same, and does not mean they have the same story. Please, give the game a chance to prove itself.

Now, concerning the game itself, I do hope that Rosalina returns. She was awesome, and is the only character I use in MK:Wii, so she has to return. *crosses fingers*

Also, it was asked how far we got in SMG1. I got all 120 unaided by guides or internets. It did get tough by the end, with some of the daredevil runs, that rock boss in the ghost level without being hit, and the toyland purple coin levels standing out to me. I also got to about 30-40 with the man in green before moving on to the other Wii game I had at the time, Corruption.
Well said. Not to mention OoT used an upgraded Super Mario 64 engine.

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
I didn't like Galaxy 1 that much so I wont even bother with this one, but it is really stupid that they're releasing basically the same thing, same console etc. instead of coming up with a genuine story like each previous 3d mario title. I mean, do they really think Galaxy is the new age "thing" for mario, like how the early platformers were the norm, and sequentially numbered? I don't really see it.
Just because SMG2 is using the same engine as before doesn't mean that the game will be the same. Call of Duty hasn't changed thier engine in God knows how long and the franchise is still going hard. They just add some new stuff and they're set. It's what Nintendo is doing with SMG2.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Regardless of the similarity, I'm excited about the first 3D Mario game with Yoshi in it...

I'm a little curious how they are going to make the storyline though...

Gates

Banned via Warnings
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Bowser is going to capture Peach and Mario is going to have to save her lol.

Watching at the trailer again, did anyone think the sound quality was a little bit lower than the original? Maybe it's just because I'm only seeing cam footage, but I really hope they stuck with fully orchestrated stuff instead of midis. The music in Mario Galaxy 1 was fantastic.

Deception

Smash Ace
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Bowser is going to capture Peach and Mario is going to have to save her lol.

Watching at the trailer again, did anyone think the sound quality was a little bit lower than the original? Maybe it's just because I'm only seeing cam footage, but I really hope they stuck with fully orchestrated stuff instead of midis. The music in Mario Galaxy 1 was fantastic.
They probably didn't finish the soundtrack yet, so we got this filler music.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Uh, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Yoshi was in Mario 64, and you could ride Yoshis in Mario Sunshine.
Mario 64 hardly counts since you didn't unlock him until the end, but Yoshi was definitely in Mario Sunshine.

They probably didn't finish the soundtrack yet, so we got this filler music.
Ah, that might be it.

Also, I was totally wrong, they are re-using levels from Mario Galaxy.
http://kotaku.com/5276440/miyamoto-super-mario-galaxy-2-will-have-90-new-levels
Only 90% new levels?! Unacceptable. Nintendo is so lazy omg.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Uh, I'm not sure what you're talking about. Yoshi was in Mario 64, and you could ride Yoshis in Mario Sunshine.
Well, I never played Sunshine so I didn't know Yoshi was in it, but his appearance in Super Mario 64 doesn't count...

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
90% new levels would just be ********. I think he meant that the gameplay was 90% new. Still, it's a very strange number.
I think he said 90% and then thought that wasn't accurate so he changed it to 95% (on kotaku it says he also said 99%).

-:bowser:Bowser King

XACE-K

Smash Master
90% new content sounds nice. They could bring back some of the best stages and give them new objectives or add some new things to them.
That's exactly what they're doing. I read it somewhere in an Kotaku article. I just need to find it.

Edit: "Miyamoto said that the original plan was to "essentially create new variations of the worlds in Super Mario Galaxy." But, over time, the developers have had so many ideas that Miyamoto estimates that 90% of the game's levels are all new. The rest, he said, are levels from the original Mario Galaxy with different objectives."

Taken from http://kotaku.com/5276440/

Scott!

Smash Lord
I wonder what exactly they mean by using old levels again. Like, would we return to the same areas of, say, Space Junk? Or would there be new areas that are too similar to the old level for it to be a new area, so they just reuse the old one's theme?

Amide

Smash Lord
I can honestly say that New Super Mario Bros Wii didn't excite me nearly as much as Galaxy 2 did. Even if it is essentially the same game with different levels, I probably wouldn't care. I'm so excited or this new game. I just hope that A) It still has epic music, B) It's harder.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Yoshi was also a character in SM64 DS :)
That's a legit appearance, but being able to ride him after you've collected 120 stars in the original N64 version doesn't really count since you didn't unlock him until beating the game completely.

XACE-K

Smash Master
I wonder what exactly they mean by using old levels again. Like, would we return to the same areas of, say, Space Junk? Or would there be new areas that are too similar to the old level for it to be a new area, so they just reuse the old one's theme?
The 10% of levels appearing in SMG2 also appeared in SMG. The only differences between them are the objectives you have to complete and graphical improvements probably.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Please no, I hated Space Junk, and Battle Rock. Now because i said that those will be the ones that are the same -___-

VaneWalker

Smash Apprentice
I liked all those mini game galaxies. The rolling ball and manta ray surfing and those galaxies with specific themes like slingshotting across the stars. I want to see more of that.

VaneWalker

Smash Apprentice
Regardless of the similarity, I'm excited about the first 3D Mario game with Yoshi in it...

The Mushroom Kingdom has discoverd ways for faster than light travel. The Starship Portabello needs a captain and crew. Mario, Luigi and several toads set off on the ship to explore the galaxy. But bowser and his minions have stowed away in the ship and in the midst of it all they take over the ship and kick out the Kingdoms explorers. Bowser having power once again flies off to the far reaches of space where the remains of his previous starship armarda lie at. But it was not as he left off. The alien race of the shrooms have taken the armada and after a near death experiance the Koopas retreat to find the Plumbers and Toads. Once they are retrieved they come back into contact with Rosalina who was assaulted and kidnapped by the shrooms. As trouble is stired up on the ship over the command-Mario or Bowser-They fail to take action and watch as the Mushroom Kingdom is taken over by the shrooms. Now, coming together the two factions lead an all out assault on the shrooms. But they don't have enough power and about to lose when in the nick of time a future Starship comes to the past to help the heroes. After defeating the shrooms Mario meets Future Wario and Waluigi wounded and about to die. The two have dialog about life and morals. While all who served in the assault are awarded. Bowser even gets a position in the Mushroom council. But future Wario and Waluigi warn of the upcoming war between The Kingdom and Bowser that will result in the greatest tragety the world will face. Mario and Bowser learn of this, looks and look at eachother and face a delima, take care of him now or see if he will change. War breaks out over Bowsers desire for more power in the Mushroom council. This leads to Super Mario Galaxy 3: War and Ends.

M.K

Level 55
I really enjoyed Space Junk, I liked the music as well.
The water levels....meh, I didn't really enjoy that the Star Spin was basically a Jet Ski xD.
I was excited for the Toy Level, until I realize how much it sucked >_> I mean, it wasn't bad by any means, but it was SO tedious.

Scott!

Smash Lord
All this talk of SMG2 made me start a new file in SMG1 tonight. Forgot how fun the gravity was. This should be awesome, even if they do reuse old levels a bit. As long as Rosalina's around, I'm good.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
All this talk of SMG2 made me start a new file in SMG1 tonight.
I'm feeling the same way. I also feel this way on New Super Mario Bros Wii. I'm not going to be bored this week. XD

oceanic--ice

Smash Apprentice
i've really enjoyed SMG despite having mostly similar controls with 64 lacking a new element like FLUDD... the gravitational concept as well as the powerups and stuff were gr8 and i'm satisfied with a sequel but i would have prefered a LM2 Instead.... the wii controls would fit nicely with the poltergeist3000 and i dont see why theyre ruining the 1xMario3D/Console tradition instead of continuing a would-be 1xLuigi3D/Console.... well i guess i should be happy they even announced a good-looking first party at all...

E309 still was way better than E308 though......just not perfect

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
What new gameplay mechanic can this possibly offer us? Seriously Mario Galaxy 2? What's the point? And since when has Nintendo ever called a sequel "2"? Besides Mario Party.
Well, like we all saw in the trailer, it's going to include Yoshi. Other than newer levels, I don't think there's going to be much added to SMG2. I was hoping for some new suits as well.

Hopefully Nintendo will make the SMG2 soundtrack even more epic than the original SMG one. Man was that sexy.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
What new gameplay mechanic can this possibly offer us? Seriously Mario Galaxy 2? What's the point? And since when has Nintendo ever called a sequel "2"? Besides Mario Party.
You're right. No video game should ever be made unless it's going to change my life. If it doesn't have revolutionary gameplay mechanics, I consider it insulting that a gaming company would even think about trying to sell it to me. The next Super Mario game better include time travel. Actual time travel.

And yeah, I hate when companies title sequels to games by taking the original title and adding a 2 to it. It's so...logical. :mad:

toon_marth

Smash Ace
Well, like we all saw in the trailer, it's going to include Yoshi. Other than newer levels, I don't think there's going to be much added to SMG2. I was hoping for some new suits as well.

Hopefully Nintendo will make the SMG2 soundtrack even more epic than the original SMG one. Man was that sexy.
yeah I saw Yoshi. I think I'm going to end just playing Mario Sunshine. It's my favorite Mario platformer.

EDIT@Circus: Are you MOCKING me? :mad088:

Dy17

Smash Apprentice
Mario has alway been a sucky game to me. The only Mario game i liked was Donkey Kong. Is Nintendo gonna sh-it Mario games out every year like capcom ****s out megaman games?

Top Bottom