• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Bomber Bros! - Bomberman for Super Smash Bros. - Assist Trophy for SSBU

Click on either option to support Bomberman!

• Total voters

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
Bomberman:
  1. Premiered on the NES
  2. Pioneered 4 player party games
  3. Appeared on every Nintendo console until Hudson Soft went out of business (including the VIRTUAL BOY!)
  4. Actually crossed over with Wario once
  5. Would be my favorite Amiibo
  6. Has a great iconic design with notable alt colors
  7. Has great music
  8. Is my #1 pick
HE DESERVED BETTER

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Bomberman:
  1. Premiered on the NES
  2. Pioneered 4 player party games
  3. Appeared on every Nintendo console until Hudson Soft went out of business (including the VIRTUAL BOY!)
  4. Actually crossed over with Wario once
  5. Would be my favorite Amiibo
  6. Has a great iconic design with notable alt colors
  7. Has great music
  8. Is my #1 pick
HE DESERVED BETTER
These are facts, people.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's a shame the potential for Spring Man DLC hasn't lead to an, ahem, explosion of bumps for other AT threads.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Yep, it's him. He's the one I want. That's the man I want in Smash Bros.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
I'd be hyped if Bomberman got promoted to a fighter. When I saw him get added as an AT on base game, that upset me. A character that has such a long video game history (being around since the VERY early days of gaming) with dozens of titles spanning all console gens, luckily all the way up to current gen (Super Bomberman R). Although in most games Bomberman only places bombs and has them explode, some games added more diverse abilities for Bomberman to use (i.e.: Bomberman Hero). He's used elemental bombs, different bomb builds (bouncing, remote, mines), different ways to move bombs (kick, punch, toss, and that multi toss from Bomberman Hero). Imo, games that could help for developing a moveset for Bomberman include Bomberman 64: The Second Attack, Bomberman Hero, the OG Super Bomberman, Bomberman Tournament (for the different bomb types; not elements).

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Yeah the whole "no moveset potential" argument against Bomberman is such bull****. Not to mention it's just a dumb argument in general when the roster has had characters with even less moveset potential since the very first game.

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Thinking again on the upcoming reveal of who the ARMS character will be for CP 6, I feel that we will get Spring Man (either solo, or with three other alt skins) and not only would that represent the promotion of not just an Assist Trophy, but also a spirit, and Mii Costume; it would give hope that similar promotions could happen. In the context of Assist Trophy promotions, I looked back at the available ATs in Ultimate and, out of all of them, Bomberman is perhaps the only one that seems to be in the wrong place (i.e.: why isn't he a fighter?). Reason why I say this is because, out of all the AT characters, Bomberman is not just the main character of his own series, but he's had a great number of titles throughout various console generations (even outside of Nintendo). He's not a "one-and-done" character, nor obscure, nor unpopular. We're talking about freakin' Bomberman. There are anime series based on this franchise!

With that said, if in fact we do get an AT promotion with CP 6, I'd truly hope that we'd get this promotion (Bomberman) as well somewhere within Vol. 2.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't think I've asked before but could I be added to the support list please? Goemon is my most wanted Konami character and most wanted character overall, but I would like to see Bomberman get in as well as he would be fun to play and he was Hudson Soft's mascot back in the day. Bomberman definitely deserves a slot in the roster. And hopefully after Bomberman get's in more Konami fans will go and support my boi Goemon for Smash.

Spatulo

Smash Lord
NNID
Spatulo
Switch FC
SW 6433 1491 0045
I don't think I've asked before but could I be added to the support list please? Goemon is my most wanted Konami character and most wanted character overall, but I would like to see Bomberman get in as well as he would be fun to play and he was Hudson Soft's mascot back in the day. Bomberman definitely deserves a slot in the roster. And hopefully after Bomberman get's in more Konami fans will go and support my boi Goemon for Smash.
Is it possible to get added to a support list if the original thread creator deleted their account?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Is it possible to get added to a support list if the original thread creator deleted their account?
Yes, it could still be edited in by a mod or an admin, though there's no supporter list in the original post itself. It just says to vote in the poll, and that will act as a supporter list.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
I saw a moveset video on youtube and it made me realize how incredibly unique Bomberman would be from a moveset perspective, from a mechanic of having 3 bombs max at any given time, to element bombs as a downb, to a lot of other gimmicks that video had a lot of ideas. with it also being such a huge long-standing icon, with ties to nintendo, and new movesets being a focus I could see it being the one character to be upgraded from an AT if theres one. Would just feel right too to have a playble Bomberman after so long.

Minix0

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, no idea how good the chances are since the fanbase supporting him is reaaaaally small and his franchise is still somewhat in limbo (not to mention Konami...ugh) but I got Ridley so there's always next Smash at the bare minimum.

Also, unrelated but I had a weird dream where Bomberman (the franchise) had a fighter in Smash, but it wasn't even Bomberman. It was some, uh...dinosaur guy with metal armor. Never felt disappointed in a dream before lol.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
I think you are quite mistaken in your views: not only is the series still getting games somewhat but his support, while small now is far from inexistent: Bomberman has a very long history of popular games that also connected many times with Nintendo systems, I remember seing him in fanart and speculations alongside Pacman and Megaman in the past, sure not at their level, but he was still considered one of the "big" third party mascots that should be in. What happened since then is that smash 4 happened while Konami was being seen as very unhelpful in regards to these things and then comes Ultimate.... and he's shown as an AT almost straight away, thus there was zero support that could be built from there, since said support was for the base game, and then Catlevania got chosen too, making it so people would think a 4th Konami rep would be impossible even as dlc. Honestly if Hudson was still around he'd probably be far more requested.

Last edited:

Minix0

Smash Apprentice
I think you are quite mistaken in your views: not only is the series still getting games somewhat but his support, while small now is far from inexistent: Bomberman has a very long history of popular games that also connected many times with Nintendo systems, I remember seing him in fanart and speculations alongside Pacman and Megaman in the past, sure not at their level, but he was still considered one of the "big" third party mascots that should be in. What happened since then is that smash 4 happened while Konami was being seen as very unhelpful in regards to these things and then comes Ultimate.... and he's shown as an AT almost straight away, thus there was zero support that could be built from there, since said support was for the base game, and then Catlevania got chosen too, making it so people would think a 4th Konami rep would be impossible even as dlc. Honestly if Hudson was still around he'd probably be far more requested.
You're missing my point, that's exactly what I was saying lol. He "getting" games, yet hasn't had a new one in three years. He "has" a fanbase, but it shrunk a lot. Ever since he was an assist trophy the fanbase basically dissolved from its original size. We're here, just barely noticeable, and certainly not noticeable to actually get in the game at this point. His franchise is finally active, but no one really talks about it since the game was pretty mediocre.

Maybe its pessimism, but he just doesn't seem to have to love that he did in the 2000's. And yep, that's mostly Konami to blame.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Ever since he was an assist trophy the fanbase basically dissolved from its original size. We're here, just barely noticeable, and certainly not noticeable to actually get in the game at this point. His franchise is finally active, but no one really talks about it since the game was pretty mediocre.
Third-party fans seem more...willing to give in to non-fighter content than first party ones. Just compare how active Isaac's thread is to this one for example.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
three yeas
Three years is in no way that much time to long-running series to it to be considered a big deal (in fact Rayman hasnt had a game for much longer than that and he gets lots of support still because spirits are deemed a lesser detriment and more important: he's owned by Ubisoft that has no character yet), also, I wouldnt say he has the biggest chances with so many options but saying he has no chance because "he doesnt get enough support" is certainly wrong and a big mistake: most of the dlc picks weren't picked because they were speculated/demanded by smash fans specifically nor they had a big Smashboards support thread (since this place in no way represent overall fanbase wants, much less mainstream wants) like my boy Terry (in fact he would be a choice with a lot of historical value in his own way if you need a justification: think the way Pacman and Terry got treated, that would be how it would go).

Again, not saying that he has a huge shot or anything, he may stay as it is just like Monster Hunter, in fact this is quite probable, but to say his chances are dead due to his fanbase here being small due circunstancial factors not convincing people to root for him is as wrong as the people who'd say Terry, Joker and an ARMs character were impossible because there wasnt a big outcry about it here. Having a fanbase for smash specifically is in no way the only or even the main reason to almost any dlc newcomer so far even if some specific characters were in it for it so the big mistake I believe is thinking Bomberman's only shot would be fan outcry like Banjo, but I disagree, even in Banjo's case he could have made it due to his big legacy and classic iconic games, the latter which is something Bomberman has dozens of spanning decades.

I'm just saying: low chances or not, if Bomberman one day makes it, be it in a future port for a switch 2 or in a miraculous dlc spot appearence, it won't be for fan clamoring reasons like Ridley to begin with, he would be chosen due to his long lasting legacy in multiple generations, the many iconic games he's part in, his connections to legacy nintendo systems like the SNES and the N64 (and he had a crossover with Wario once), his moveset potential, being the "Hudson rep" and finally the "world" he would bring over to smash. Even if his chances for this particular installment are very low, I think he's worthy of having support and is the kind of series that is fun to speculate.

Last edited:

Minix0

Smash Apprentice
Again, not saying that he has a huge shot or anything, he may stay as it is just like Monster Hunter, in fact this is quite probable, but to say his chances are dead due to his fanbase here being small due circunstancial factors not convincing people to root for him is as wrong as the people who'd say Terry, Joker and an ARMs character were impossible because there wasnt a big outcry about it here. Having a fanbase for smash specifically is in no way the only or even the main reason to almost any dlc newcomer so far even if some specific characters were in it for it so the big mistake I believe is thinking Bomberman's only shot would be fan outcry like Banjo, but I disagree, even in Banjo's case he could have made it due to his big legacy and classic iconic games, the latter which is something Bomberman has dozens of spanning decades.
Thing is though, Terry was a special case since Sakurai liked him. Persona 5 was massively popular. ARMS was likely a choice by Nintendo for marketing purposes. If Bomberman were to get in, it at this point would be by fanbase admiration alone, which I don't really see working right now due to the size of the fanbase. Something special like Sakurai favoring him might happen, and I don't think having an assist trophy is automatic deconfirmation, but if he were to get in I think change needs to happen in his own franchise.

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai liked him
Except Sakurai liking him was never given as a reason for Terry to join and was never stated as such by him even after so many interviews, columns a long presentation and tons of statements, he surely likes it and was clear about that much and I'm sure he loved the chance to including SNK on Smash but it was Nintendo who chose the characters, even if his imput was still vital its not like a character has to be Sakurai's favorite for him to chose them, he has a vast knowledge of games and their legacy like no one else its not like he only has a couple favorites that he enjoys and got to include, its also not like Sakurai went around picking his main Iori either.

Im positive that if Bomberman joins one day it will be like Terry and Pacman for its (Very Big) legacy and tons of games that people are really sleeping on and not like the fewer that got with the fan outcry, but if Nintendo and Sakurai were to chose "iconic" characters again, his chances are there, even though he has massive competition and already being in the game may make them think of others more first.

I'm just saying, you underestimate this little fella importance as an icon of past systems, if he wasnt competing with an arguably bigger icon like Simon (who also is Konami's main man unlike Bomberman who they got from the now gone Hudson and thus care much less for) I'd say he would have had a decent shot even in the base game somewhere (or in smash 4 if Konami wasnt at the time seen the way they were seen or if Hudson still owned him).

Last edited:

Minix0

Smash Apprentice
Im positive that if Bomberman joins one day it will be like Terry and Pacman for its (Very Big) legacy and tons of games that people are really sleeping on and not like the fewer that got with the fan outcry, but if Nintendo and Sakurai were to chose "iconic" characters again, his chances are there, even though he has massive competition and already being in the game may make them think of others more first.
Well, I hope you're right. It's just Bomberman needs a really good game like 64 or Hero to reaaaally get his franchise going. It's "active", but it could be more so. Believe me man, I'm crossing my fingers, and I'm sure he has tons of Smash Ballot votes (then again so does Minecraft Steve .-.), but I really dunno anymore.

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I'm surprised I never noticed this thread. I don't know if it's too late by now given that the OP's a deleted member, but nonetheless, Bomberman has my full support! I'm a little bummed he was snubbed out as an AT very early on into the game, but I'm hopeful he might get a better chance later on. I'd say he's very well deserving with how long the franchise has been around for, even if it might not be doing as well nowadays.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
As a reminder:

PSA: Please ignore all my post and topics that were created before the COVID-19 pandemic. My opinions and thoughts have had major changes since the pandemic initiated. My behavior has now improved and I will not cause anymore trouble from now on.
All my posts from before the pandemic are now all outdated.

I'm surprised I never noticed this thread. I don't know if it's too late by now given that the OP's a deleted member, but nonetheless, Bomberman has my full support! I'm a little bummed he was snubbed out as an AT very early on into the game, but I'm hopeful he might get a better chance later on. I'd say he's very well deserving with how long the franchise has been around for, even if it might not be doing as well nowadays.
Not only do I want Bomberman to be playable, but I also want Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, and Steve (Minecraft) as well. All four of those 3rd party characters are perfectly good additions to the roster. Also, I think Goemon (Konami) should replace Bomberman's assist trophy if Bomberman gets promoted to playable in Smash 6.

The inclusion of Terry (King of Fighters) is already a step towards Bomberman becoming promoted to playable. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden) would be another step too.

I'm just saying: low chances or not, if Bomberman one day makes it, be it in a future port for a switch 2 or in a miraculous dlc spot appearence, it won't be for fan clamoring reasons like Ridley to begin with, he would be chosen due to his long lasting legacy in multiple generations, the many iconic games he's part in, his connections to legacy nintendo systems like the SNES and the N64 (and he had a crossover with Wario once), his moveset potential, being the "Hudson rep" and finally the "world" he would bring over to smash. Even if his chances for this particular installment are very low, I think he's worthy of having support and is the kind of series that is fun to speculate.
Not to mention, millions of fans have hated/disliked Terry's (King of Fighters) and Ren's/Joker (Persona) inclusion due to an infamous misconception stating that "King of Fighters and Persona are obscure", which isn't true. Cutting/demoting Terry (King of Fighters) and Ren's/Joker (Persona) to assist trophies, mii costumes and spirits all because of that misconception, while adding Bomberman and Crash Bandicoot in return would be terribly grauititous. But in contrast, Cutting/demoting/relegating Bayonetta and Quote (Cave Story) to assist trophies, mii costumes and spirits to make room for Bomberman and Crash Bandicoot would be optimal. So thus, it would be best to have Bomberman, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Terry (King of Fighters), Ren's/Joker (Persona), and Kyo (King of Fighters) all be playable at the same time.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
If Bomberman ever gets promoted I would absolutely adore if these two songs got remixed for Smash. I'm not sure how likely it is because they're from a playstation 1 game.....but they're both easily the most nostalgic Bomberman tracks for me.

I never owned Bomberman World for the playstation 1 but I had a demo disk I had gotten from one of the playstation magazines and Bomberman World was included on that demo. It let you play a game of Bomberman, it was a pretty small demo but I played it over and over and over as a kid. I got more out of that demo than I did out of some entire games.

Bomberman 64 is probably the second most nostalgic Bomberman game for me, so I'll also say I'd love a remix of Green Garden:

Last edited:

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
It does look awesome, I just wish it came with a piece of music. Definitely will be my default Brawler now. Hopefully next Smash he will be upgraded to playable status. It's happened to a lot of other costumes and assist trophies!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
That's a really awesome looking mii costume.

I just wish they had the announcer do voiceover announcements for the full transformation mii costumes. (Sans, Cuphead, Bomberman etc) (and let us change the title on the victory screen from "Mii Brawler" to "Bomberman")

It would be a small thing but it would help a little to pretend you're actually playing as Bomberman.

Last edited:

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I suppose it's the closest thing for now. Well, I'll take it, since it looks really good for a Mii Costume! I wasn't expecting Bomberman to make it in anyways, so this works out for me. Just sad it doesn't come with music.

Ornl

Smash Ace
This fully Costume is wonderful, this sepcial choice is fair and honorary.

Top Bottom