• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Bomber Bros! - Bomberman for Super Smash Bros. - Assist Trophy for SSBU

Click on either option to support Bomberman!

• Total voters

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Ma'am, if Bomberman eventually gets promoted to playable in Smash 6, I don't think cutting Terry (King of Fighters) and Ren (Persona) to make way for Bomberman and Crash Bandicoot would be a good idea. But what would be optimal, would be to demote/relegate Bayonetta and Lilac (Freedom Planet) to assist trophies and mii costumes in return because they are too obscure for now.

I know that everyone certainly would be happy with the inclusions of Bomberman, Crash Bandicoot, Steve (Minecraft), Rayman, Master Chief (Halo), and Lara (Tomb Raider).
Don't worry I wasn't implying Terry and Ren would be cut, I'd keep them in too. But I wouldn't cut Bayonetta or not consider Lilac since I believe that just because a video game character is obscure doesn't mean they shouldn't be considered for Smash Ultimate. I'd be fine with Bomberman and the other characters you mentioned but I'm not a super big fan of them.

Anyway getting back to if Bomberman gets into a Smash Bros game as a character are there any moves that don't use bombs that you guys would use for Bomberman?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Don't worry I wasn't implying Terry and Ren would be cut, I'd keep them in too. But I wouldn't cut Bayonetta or not consider Lilac since I believe that just because a video game character is obscure doesn't mean they shouldn't be considered for Smash Ultimate. I'd be fine with Bomberman and the other characters you mentioned but I'm not a super big fan of them.
I'm still struggling to understand how and/or why certain obscure 3rd party characters can merit to be playable, despite not many people wanting them. I already know that we can have Bomberman, Crash Bandicoot, Bayonetta, and Lilac (Freedom Planet) all be playable at the same time, but I still can't understand your argument.

Anyway getting back to if Bomberman gets into a Smash Bros game as a character are there any moves that don't use bombs that you guys would use for Bomberman?
Bomberman can simply use punches and kicks. I also thought that Bomberman's moveset could feature special gimmicks.

Last edited:

Kritter

Smash Cadet
Congrats everyone! I know it may feel like a loss since Bomberman won't be a full fighter this time around, but I was so excited to see him get the deluxe Mii Fighter treatment. In fact, this has been my second most exciting moment out of all the DLC after Banjo. Bomberman was in my top 5 DLC picks but I had resigned myself to the fact that he'd only be an assist trophy. To find out that I can now play as him feels like a resurrection from the dead. A music track would have been nice, but being the only Mii with alternate colors gives him special prominence. I'm still holding out hope for a full fighter in the next Smash, but for now I am going to have a blast playing his Mii costume (and I usually ignore the Mii fighters)!

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Passing by to leave my congrats. Bomberman looks fantastic! One of he best Mii Costumes in the game at this point. Up there with Sans, Cuphead, Ray Mk III, and Skull Kid.

I really, really like how the Mii Costume can have different colors. Something that I think should be possible for Mii Costumes in general.

Hell, Mii Costumes should have as much care as Bomberman's. Looks just like an actual playable character and it shows.

:bowser: .

Dan

Smash Lord
There's no way Isaac would work as a deluxe mii costume. I would say any human character likely wouldn't work as a deluxe mii costume. (unless they're already a chibi style human and even then I'm not sure if it would look right because a deluxe costume is basically a helmet that gets put over the mii fighters head)

I think the human characters would be way more likely to fall into the uncanny valley if they tried to make deluxe mii costumes for them. So I think even Ashley, Jeff or Prince of Sable could be a bit awkward looking. (Knuckle Joe might be too short)

I'm not sure if Shovel Knight as a sword fighter would actually be perfect....so far the deluxe costumes have done a decent job of representing the characters. Sans and Cuphead as gunners....and Bomberman as a brawler, while not perfect...at least he doesn't have a weapon for no reason.

Shovel Knight on the other hand doesn't use his shovel like a sword at all. I think he'd end up being the least "immersive" of all the deluxe costumes.
Who do you think would actually work other than Geno? He seems like the most obvious to me. It's too bad they couldn't alter the size of the model and do characters like Isaac.

Edit: Maybe Poo from Earthbound?

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Well at least Sakurai acknowldges that Bomberman as a fighter would have more different moves, that tells he has some chance in the long run.
Maybe Sakurai would consider adding Bomberman in Smash 6 or "Super Smash Bros. From the Future". Also more appropriate candidate for a Konami assist trophy role is already Goemon or Pyramid Head (Silent Hill). Pyramid head is just a generic enemy.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Meh, I can't pretend to be excited over Miis and Mii costumes. You can slap the low quality assist trophy model over Mii Brawler but it's still just Mii Brawler at the end of the day. An emotionless husk running around doing kung fu moves just doesn't do it for me and never will. Doesn't even come with any music either.

Minix0

Smash Apprentice
Konami got Castlevania this time and be glad Bomberman is represented at all. I never understood the mindset that a character deserves more than any other, there's only a few available slots for DLC so it's obvious every fan requested character wouldn't make the cut.

This only gives Bomberman far more brand awareness especially for people who never played any of his games.
I'm not exactly unhappy at the Mii costume, but to say that I should be content with any form of representation is just absurd. I like the characters I like, you like the characters you like. At the end of the day, we're going to want those characters in over other characters (e.g. Bomberman would've been a MUCH better choice than Simon). Sakurai isn't some god that has blessed me, and I don't owe him anything. Ultimately, he is the producer, and I am the consumer. Why should I be content just because its hard work? If I don't like a product, I don't have to buy it. Obviously I shouldn't be overly critical for the sake of being critical, but I am allowed to critique what characters get in or which would fit better, no?

Like I said, the Mii costume is much better than some assist trophy, which is technically better than nothing or some png spirit. So if that's all he's gonna get, yes I'm happy with that, because something is better than nothing (I'll still buy the Mii costume just to send them a message that he's a beloved character). But to see what could've been is rather frustrating, especially when he got essentially a runner up prize. How much more would it have taken to make him a character if he got a mii costume?

Hopefully this didn't sound like a rant lol, the internet translates tone so poorly. Just trying to debate.
I think the human characters would be way more likely to fall into the uncanny valley if they tried to make deluxe mii costumes for them. So I think even Ashley, Jeff or Prince of Sable could be a bit awkward looking. (Knuckle Joe might be too short)

I'm not sure if Shovel Knight as a sword fighter would actually be perfect....so far the deluxe costumes have done a decent job of representing the characters. Sans and Cuphead as gunners....and Bomberman as a brawler, while not perfect...at least he doesn't have a weapon for no reason.

Shovel Knight on the other hand doesn't use his shovel like a sword at all. I think he'd end up being the least "immersive" of all the deluxe costumes.
This is exactly why a character is better. A Mii costume at the end of the day its just an afterthought. I'm assuming Bomberman had the same situation as Rex from Xenoblade treatment in that case. A Mii costume trying to mimic a character just feels wrong, which is why I wish they would put in more costumes that, you know, actually go on Miis like the astronaut suit, business suit, hoodie, etc. instead of [insert intellectual property here]. I at least hope he has special voice clips.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
How much more would it have taken to make him a character if he got a mii costume?
Well, Bomberman is slightly more known than Crash Bandicoot. Both would be equally difficult to assemble.

Last edited:

Voe

Smash Journeyman
So I've been playing Bomberman 64 for the past few days and I gotta say I love the soundtrack. I haven't played this game since a family member rented it from Blockbuster when I was a kid. My only negative is sometimes turning around when picking up bombs is a pain, but I've gotten better at.

Also I've found out that Super Bomberman R went battle royale...but only on Stadia. I haven't gotten around to playing Super Bomberman R yet (watched some gameplay of it) but I'd imagine the game having a Battle Royale version but exclusive to a platform that barely anyone cares about has to be a real bummer.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
In addition to being a great costume, the Bomberman Mii Costume is a great way to get more people hooked on the idea of becoming playable in a future Smash game.

I highly encourage all of you to buy the Bomberman costume. If a lot of people buy it then I think Nintendo/Sakurai will see that as people wanting Bomberman himself for Smash.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
In addition to being a great costume, the Bomberman Mii Costume is a great way to get more people hooked on the idea of becoming playable in a future Smash game.

I highly encourage all of you to buy the Bomberman costume. If a lot of people buy it then I think Nintendo/Sakurai will see that as people wanting Bomberman himself for Smash.
I already bought it when I could. It's making me hope that Shot Put/Burning Dropkick get more range in a later patch.

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman

It was the first thing I tried to do, alongside the Travis costume. It looks pretty good, I don't play Mii characters often but I'll try to stick to Bomberman for a bit. At least you can pretend some of the fire attacks are caused by bombs, and the rest could be from elemental bombs.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It was the first thing I tried to do, alongside the Travis costume. It looks pretty good, I don't play Mii characters often but I'll try to stick to Bomberman for a bit. At least you can pretend some of the fire attacks are caused by bombs, and the rest could be from elemental bombs.
I specifically picked Shot Put because it involves black balls and Burning Dropkick for my Bomberman because it's explosive.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
For my Bomberman I used shotput to represent throwing bombs, helicopter and burning drop kick to represent the bomb kick and head on assault which felt the most fitting due to Bomberman's huge head. The moveset works really well and I've been having a blast with the costume, hoping we get the real deal in the next game

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord

Not complaining, but Bomberman is already too iconic to be excluded from the roster.

Dan

Smash Lord
Also I've found out that Super Bomberman R went battle royale...but only on Stadia. I haven't gotten around to playing Super Bomberman R yet (watched some gameplay of it) but I'd imagine the game having a Battle Royale version but exclusive to a platform that barely anyone cares about has to be a real bummer.
I'm gonna try it with the month trial.

Stadia fascinates me... it's like the modern Dreamcast. My brother has been raving about it.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Spam/off-topic
To bump up this thread, while I will continue support Bomberman, I have a question about Konami. Does Konami own Yugioh, along with the titular character Yugi?

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
To bump up this thread, while I will continue support Bomberman, I have a question about Konami. Does Konami own Yugioh, along with the titular character Yugi?
Actually Shueisha owns Yugioh, they just let Konami publish the cards. I do have a question for Bomberman fans, what type of spirits would you like to see on a Bomberman spirit board?

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I just bought the Bomberman mii costume and I made Bomberman as all 3 mii fighter types!

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Bomberman is iconic and would have been a nice fighter but at least we got his full render :)
Of course, Bomberman merits to be playable, so does Crash Bandicoot and Rayman. And how do you think of my Bomberman mii fighters above?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
looks nice! Bomberman is a cool character!
We already know that Bomberman is another iconic 3rd party character and a perfect addition to the roster. I like his mii costume, and I wish that it was for all 3 mii fighter types. There have been plenty of other mii costumes that could work for all 3 mii fighter types as well. But I still want Bomberman to get promoted to playable in Smash 6. Much like Waluigi, Bomberman never earned his exclusion to begin with.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Actually Shueisha owns Yugioh, they just let Konami publish the cards. I do have a question for Bomberman fans, what type of spirits would you like to see on a Bomberman spirit board?
I'd better cultivate positive Karma quickly! To bump up this thread, I had an idea lately, if Bomberman got in as an extra challenger pack, we could get Monster Card, Spell Card, and Trap Card as spirits. Since Bomberman and Yugioh are both Konami franchises.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I'd better cultivate positive Karma quickly! To bump up this thread, I had an idea lately, if Bomberman got in as an extra challenger pack, we could get Monster Card, Spell Card, and Trap Card as spirits. Since Bomberman and Yugioh are both Konami franchises.
Bomberman would probably come with Bomberman Spirits.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Bomberman would probably come with Bomberman Spirits.
I knew that Bomberman's spirit board would get spirits from his own series already. However, the 3 aforementioned Yugioh spirits would be bonus spirits. Once again, Yugioh could simply get the goldeneye treatment. Goldeneye didn't originate as a videogame, but it still has the motion sensor bomb in Smash.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Thanks, I should have been more specific and asked what type of Bomberman Spirits you guy wanna see on a spirit board. There are plenty of unique Bombermen and women that could be used.
I guess the realistic answer would be that we'd get all of the colored bombers, using their Bomberman R artwork. But I'd really like to see some deep cuts like Max or the pirates from the 64 games.
I knew that Bomberman's spirit board would get spirits from his own series already. However, the 3 aforementioned Yugioh spirits would be bonus spirits. Once again, Yugioh could simply get the goldeneye treatment. Goldeneye didn't originate as a videogame, but it still has the motion sensor bomb in Smash.
None of the characters have come with Spirits that weren't from their franchise, I see no reason why that would change with Bomberman. There's no connection between the two other than their owner, so adding Yugioh Spirits would be pretty random.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
None of the characters have come with Spirits that weren't from their franchise, I see no reason why that would change with Bomberman. There's no connection between the two other than their owner, so adding Yugioh Spirits would be pretty random.
But Terry (KOF) came with some spirits from other SNK franchises, so I think the same could go for Bomberman getting bonus non-character spirits from Yugioh. That way Yugioh can still have some content in Smash.

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
I guess the realistic answer would be that we'd get all of the colored bombers, using their Bomberman R artwork. But I'd really like to see some deep cuts like Max or the pirates from the 64 games.

Those would be pretty awesome spirits, I gotta admit the most out there idea for Bomberman spirtis would be the edgelord versions from Bomberman: Act Zero. Although you could make their spirit battle really easy and make them novice spirits if you want a bit of satire. ;)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
But Terry (KOF) came with some spirits from other SNK franchises, so I think the same could go for Bomberman getting bonus non-character spirits from Yugioh. That way Yugioh can still have some content in Smash.
The other SNK franchises were also part of the King of Fighters (Ralf, Clark, and Athena have been in KOF since its first installment). The King of Fighters is basically SNK's big crossover series, with characters from Fatal Fury/Garou: Mark of the Wolves, Art of Fighting, Ikari Warriors, Psycho Soldier, bits of Samurai Shodown, etc., along with original characters.

It's a completely different situation from including Yu-Gi-Oh content with Bomberman. (especially since Yu-Gi-Oh is owned by Shueisha - characters from that series appeared in Jump Force)

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
The other SNK franchises were also part of the King of Fighters (Ralf, Clark, and Athena have been in KOF since its first installment). The King of Fighters is basically SNK's big crossover series, with characters from Fatal Fury/Garou: Mark of the Wolves, Art of Fighting, Ikari Warriors, Psycho Soldier, bits of Samurai Shodown, etc., along with original characters.
That makes sense. Maybe the Monster, Spell, and Trap Card non-character spirits might be better off for a spirit event.

Top Bottom