• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunday July 20th, Ann Arbor, MI - Digital Ops Biweekly #5!! New Strike Out System!

Scala

Smash Ace
There's a lot of blasphemy occurring after I said my main was Chuck Norris. I suggest you all review your posts and edit accordingly.

lol

Vayseth

Smash Master
Alright guys, I got one, yay, ONE PM about ONE stage. Because I have a final this Wednesday, I can't exactly get back to ya'll by Wednesday as hoped but, I will allow anyone else to send me a PM (or just post it here) by Wednesday afternoon. I will take all comments into account and report back by Wednesday evening.

lain

Smash Master
i don't really care about the stages that are used.

i just want everyone to know that i WILL abuse every gay thing about the stages that i can.

:colorful:

Scala

Smash Ace
Yeah I think we should stick with the rules originally proposed by Vayseth/Panda (including recent changes). You can't expect to have a perfect ruleset the first time a tournament applies them, I think we'll REALLY see how it works out when it's actually used and then we can make changes from there if needed. They put a lot of work into creating these rules and the least we could do is give it a whirl.

Even though the maps seem kinda abuseable, I don't think that it will end up being that bad. Anyways I'm excited for these new rules, they seem like a lot of fun.

Oh, and I'm glad we're starting everything earlier this time around. The last tournament at rofa's was ridiculous (when the singles tourney was still going at 3am...)

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
While I would love to be able to use this tournament's stage list as a test for future stage list discussions in the SBR, as well as in the circuit event, I sincerely doubt that Vayseth and I will end up sticking to some of the more controversial stages. While I, personally, am confident that these stages need playtesting before they can be considered broken, I do realize that this is a tournament. As such, leaving some of these stages on will risk having the turnout become worse. I hoped people would put more faith into Vayseth and I, but it seems like thats not enough for people to trust our judgment.

But thats fine, I guess. As long as we have a kickass tournament in the end ^_^

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
stfu PANDA!!!

lol im jp. theres only 2 stages i think are horrible but others i think we should try out. and i am excited for the strikeout system.

dingding

Smash Ace
stage strikeout will take long won't it.. u gotta sit there before the match.. pick some stages to ban.. and u waste paper.. =P how bout start on FD every match =)

Scala

Smash Ace
So how are they going to do the stage selection?

I think they should just go to the random stage selection screen and turn all of the tournament stages on and then take turns turning them off. then you can just hit random to start the game and it will be the only remaining map. Also no paper is used.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
So how are they going to do the stage selection?

I think they should just go to the random stage selection screen and turn all of the tournament stages on and then take turns turning them off. then you can just hit random to start the game and it will be the only remaining map. Also no paper is used.
umm you guys dont understand it.... its bascilly both players PICK a stage to start on (by elimination). for example if i strike final destination, he can counterpick it unless i ban it. The last stage to be unstruck out of the 9 will be the first level fought on. After the strike we both get bans. So he and I can ban ANY STAGE INCLUDING COUNTERPICKABLE STAGES. The strikeout system is just to determine what level to start out on.

My main point is if i strike FD but dont BAN it my opponent can counterpick it. IT eliminates the random and unfairness of those levels such as FD.
EXAMPLE:
I strike: Final Destination
he strikes: Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
I strike: Castle Siege
he strikes: Smashville
I strike: Pokemon Stadium 1
he strikes: Distant Planet
I strike: Brinstar
he strikes: Halberd

I now get a ban, i ban Mario Circuit (mario kart level)
He now gets a ban he bans Halberd

Since The only stage left unstruck is Battlefield the fight starts on BAttlefield.

Ok now I lose the match On Battlefield, i counterpick Yoshis island, since it wasent banned.

Now as you can see i can pick yoshis even though it was struck even though it wasen't banned.

Also note i can ban whatever level i want may it be counterpick or neutral.

GG hope you understand :)

stage strikeout will take long won't it.. u gotta sit there before the match.. pick some stages to ban.. and u waste paper.. =P how bout start on FD every match =)
Umm yea thats ok if you play snake MK ROB and GW....o wait you do. No thats hardly fair. also it wont take long to do it 1 min tops. a strike isint a ban ding.

From Page 1 in case you scrubs are to lazy to go there and read.
"HOW TO PLAY"
This tournament will be one of the few tournaments to start implementing the new "stage strike" system as well as one of the first to reflect a lot of new ruling changes in the way of stages. "Stage strike" is a new method aimed at preventing the use of the random button, making match ups more neutral, and allowing for more stage variety. Players/teams will be given a list of 9 "starter stages" and they will each take turns striking off stages until one stage remains. That will be the stage played in the first match. After that, players are allowed to ban a stage in either the starter or the counterpick stage list, preventing that stage from being counterpicked. Bans have NO EFFECT on the initial stage striking process. They only effect the counterpick matches.

Detailed explaination of how this works:
1. At the start of each match, the players/teams choose their characters and then one player/team will flip a coin. The winner of the coin pick will chose to go either first or second.
2. The team/player that goes first will strike any stage from the list of nine, followed by the second team/player and this will repeat until 1 stage remains.
3. Teams/players will elect their stage bans. The team that went first must ban their stage first. You get one stage ban per team or in singles, one ban per player.
4. The first stage will be played.
5. The losing team picks any stage in the starter or counterpick pools of stages to play on (as long as it is not a banned stage). The winners then have an opportunity to change their characters, following by the losers having the ability to also change their characters.
6. Repeat step 5 until there is a team/player with 2/3 victories or 3/5 victories (depending on the round in the tournament).

After the first round everyone should have an idea on how this works.

STAGE SELECTION (there same for both tournaments)
Starters:
1. Battlefield
2. Final Destination
3. Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
4. Castle Siege
5. Smashville
6. Pokemon Stadium 1
7. Brinstar
8. Halberd
9. Distant Planet

Counter-Picks:
Mario Circuit
Pirate Ship
Norfair
Pokemon Stadium 2
Port Town Aero Drive
Luigi's Mansion
Frigate Orpheon
Lylat Cruise
Sky World
Pictochat
Green Hill Zone
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Onett
Corneria
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Delfino Plaza

Custom stages are BANNED.

Scala

Smash Ace
Ooh, so after the first match players can be forced to play port town or mario circuit if the opponent chooses it as his counterpick? If that's the case.. meh.

Why not do a stage strikeout for every match in the series except immediately striking out previously played on maps at the beginning of each strikeout for the 2nd/3rd matches?

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
i just edited it above.

ANd no i can Ban Mario circuit if i want :) i can ban whatever i want.

and @ scala: because then there wouldnt be counterpicks would there lol

Scala

Smash Ace
Oh I didn't even think about the counterpick factor :/ durr hurr hurr me

Well I still want to give it a go and see how it all works out. It's bound to be interesting at least :)

Vayseth

Smash Master
Okay guys, the stages I have had the most complaints on are: Onett, Port Town Aero Drive, and Mario Circuit. I will look into specifically these three stages tonight. If anyone has any other stages they wish to have reviewed, speak before 4 pm, or forever hold your peace.

I'm also thinking about switching out distant planet from the starter list for Delphino or Lylat Cruise. Since Lylat has been a neutral for so long, I might as well go with that, but I feel that all of these stages will be striked nearly every time so it doesn't matter to me which ones are in there. Which would everyone prefer? (I'm leaning towards Lylat atm, like the backroom is).

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
dingdong, keep playing Brawl, so we don't have people like you in Melee. : )

dingding

Smash Ace
no RACIST.. sike iunno probaly.. i only like smash and sports..all other games are boring to me.. and aren't white ppl better then asians in video games?

Scala

Smash Ace
Is link getting hit in that picture? If so that's outrageous

On another note, it looks kinda like snake is begging for mercy.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
yes link is getting hit....snake is broke. hes praying for link to get hit and he did.

no RACIST.. sike iunno probaly.. i only like smash and sports..all other games are boring to me.. and aren't white ppl better then asians in video games?
Only ITG DDR and SMASH

Vayseth

Smash Master
Okay guys, here's the deal: I got a little f***ed up while playing smash yesterday, realized Luigi is my lord and savior and worked on the stages 1/4th of what I planned on.

Here's what I know:

1. The stages in contention are: Skyworld, Mario Circuit, Port Town Aero Drive, and Onett. No other stage seems broke enough right now.
2. Out of those four stages, Sky World is the most likely to be banned at this point, however, I can see all four being banned after I do some more research.
3. It is probably safe to say all four of those stages will be banned, I just don't want to write up reasons for it right now.
4. Distant Planet will remain the starter.
5. Luigi is the best character in this game.

That's all.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I still don't see the problem with circuit. We tried a good amount of the stuff omni said was broken, but camping can be beat by using the road, since you can pass through it. And correct me if I'm wrong, but if Onnet is banned then it'll be the only counter with a straight permanent walkoff on both sides, so if someone just cant deal with it, they can just ban it.

Negi-Kun

Smash Lord
I hated Onnet personally. Sure the cars got nerfed but it's still bull at times. And as for Circuit, the carts throw you off and can KO you at high percents, and chaingrabbing is always a problem. *cough Dedede cough*

TheMann

Smash Ace
Okay guys, here's the deal: I got a little f***ed up while playing smash yesterday, realized Luigi is my lord and savior and worked on the stages 1/4th of what I planned on.

Here's what I know:

1. The stages in contention are: Skyworld, Mario Circuit, Port Town Aero Drive, and Onett. No other stage seems broke enough right now.
2. Out of those four stages, Sky World is the most likely to be banned at this point, however, I can see all four being banned after I do some more research.
3. It is probably safe to say all four of those stages will be banned, I just don't want to write up reasons for it right now.
4. Distant Planet will remain the starter.
5. Luigi is the best character in this game.

That's all.
Lol so you main Luigi too now Vayseth? Weegee is the best character though I'm glad u realise this. Now everybody else has to realise it.

As for the stages should be fun to try some new stuff. I can't really judge it until I try I it I guess.

Top Bottom