• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Subspace Army

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Not sure why people are criticizing Petey so much, he seems a lot more fitting than Lucario to me personally. Anyway, not sure if anyone has said this but, from the looks of it you'll probably have to start adventure with kirby and save other characters like in Joy Mecha Fight, after you save them perhaps you can play as them in adventure mode or something. That is just speculation though, the cutscene might just be for opening, and you can use anyone you want, I'm not sure.
Dude, I think this is how it goes: you pick your character and you play his/her storyline. That's it.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
If they make him/her/it smaller than i think it would fit in quite well.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
If they make him/her/it smaller than i think it would fit in quite well.
That would work if they did that, but if that's Petey's real size and weight, he's not getting in since he looks like he's heavier than Bowser, and he's supposed to be the heaviest fighter to play with.

Dave the Perspicacious

Smash Journeyman
Not sure why people are criticizing Petey so much, he seems a lot more fitting than Lucario to me personally. Anyway, not sure if anyone has said this but, from the looks of it you'll probably have to start adventure with kirby and save other characters like in Joy Mecha Fight, after you save them perhaps you can play as them in adventure mode or something. That is just speculation though, the cutscene might just be for opening, and you can use anyone you want, I'm not sure.
I would have to agree, I do think he would fit more, and he would bring something more unique to the roster however u look at it. Anyway...

I thought that could be the case as well. You start with Kirby (or perhaps Mario as someone suggested previously) and you adventure throughout the land meeting up with new playable characters. When u pick one up, u can then continue as that character through the story? Not sure, there are so many possibilities. This mode is really going to rock - definitely going to be less tedious than the previous adventure mode :laugh: (I hope O.o)

EDIT: It really seriously ticks me off when people state things as fact. We should all be a bit more open-minded. Anything is possible, until confirmed, despite probability and odds.

Dave

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Hmm, are people actually thinking Petey is playable there? That form of him is clearly a boss, and not a PC. For Pie's sake, he can lift up two human sized characters into the air with his arms. That guy there is not playable. BUT if Sakurai just resized him for his apperance there, then yes, Petey could be playable.

Dave the Perspicacious

Smash Journeyman
Yes, agreed. That form of Petey shown in that video is most likely a boss, but I as i stated before we don't know if anything was done to Petey to make him that size as part of the story.

Perhaps the player will go up against many super-sized villains? Perhaps not. We don't know ^_^

Dave

NukeA6

Smash Master
If Petey truly is a boss, I'd hate to see how Ridley could end up as.

For those who are disapointed in the Ancient Minister being the final boss, have you heard of changing forms? That seems to quite common in final bosses nowadays (especially RPGs).

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I wonder if Mario's sudden increase in speed as he was running at the bomb indicated a new ability. ou know how in Super Metroid if you kept on running forward you'd increase in speed after a bit? Maybe this is the same thing.

(Or have people already said this?)

danroks

Smash Cadet
i dunno if this has been said but

i think snake might be in the next one cause its a bomb and snakes like a spy sorta person and can stop bombs i think so he could go help kirby lol

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Petey looks like a boss,and they're going to need bosses not there is an actual storyline. Also,from the looks of it,you start out with Kirby.

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
i saw the whole video. poor kirby didnt have a chance against the pharrrana plant pete or whatever... and mario got hit by the cannon ball! i bet pete will **** princess peach and zelda....just kidding but it made me laugh to see him wih them to in cages with a perverted plant.

Celsco

Smash Apprentice
If Petey truly is a boss, I'd hate to see how Ridley could end up as.

For those who are disapointed in the Ancient Minister being the final boss, have you heard of changing forms? That seems to quite common in final bosses nowadays (especially RPGs).
You mister, are totally right. I even dare to state that "Ancient Minister IS metaknight, just look at his eyes and you know it for sure."

danroks

Smash Cadet
i doubt its meta knight there can be more charecters with them eyes

i wanna see sonic or snake come in and help

snake:comes in by shooting cages down
sonic:speeds past camera and jumps on peteys head and makes him drop cages

*hopes it happens*

TheSpindoctor

Smash Journeyman
Here's an idea, what if Kirby was the character chosen to pay adv. mode with and this is his storyline. But if you pick Mario to start, you start his adventure after getting nailed by the Cannon Ball. Maybe the story branches off in different paths depending on who you choose.
Thats what I am thinking of, its gonna be awesome!

And yeah, this isnt a crazy ridiculous theory, you can see zelda and peach in stone after he knocks their cages together (its right at the end, and its kinda hard to see, but once you see I think its pretty obvious).
And would just like to add, how ridiculously bad *** Petey looks, he's gonna own.

What a sweet update.

SmashWhammy

Smash Cadet
I like Petey... >>

Anyone notice that Ancient Minister... is missing HANDS?

Could be nothing... but it could also be something!
And by something, you mean that the Ancient Minister's hands could be MASTER AND CRAZY HAND

BoG

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, I really hate the idea of Petey being playable. it is an insult to all that is good. I'd actaully love to see him removed from Mario Kart, really, he's worthless. If he makes it in, that opens the door for everyone who I want even less, like every insignificant character in every game.
Of course, I'd put my money on boss character. I'd say boss characters are confirmed here, NOT petey playable. Of course, it may just be my extreme bias against petey being playable. Oh man, that is such a BAD idea.

XDead Sexy

Smash Apprentice
OMG Im so glad i reserved this game yesterday Petey is lookin bad*** Boss or confirmed playable i dont mind either I cant wait to take him down.

Royboy

Smash Apprentice
I think Petey is too overpowered. I think that Z and peach are turned back to trophies, so

1) his cages are so powerful that "kill" the princesses when he smash them one on the other
2) He is the guardian that grab the defeated trophies and put them away for another battle
3) He turn everibody in trophies and make mario fly away to save them from the pain of the teleport of the stadium (very unlikely)

TheSpindoctor

Smash Journeyman
Dude, I think this is how it goes: you pick your character and you play his/her storyline. That's it.
When you think about it, thats really the only way it could work. Because it wouldnt really make sense to play, oh I dont know, Peach, and then fight petey after this cutscene. And also, say if you wanted to play link, it wouldnt be logical if he were to just be fighting petey after he wasnt even in the cutscene!

I think that this is actually a cutscene from kirby's adventure mode because it looks like kirby is going to be the one who is actually fighting! omg!

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
Wavedashing confirmed.
Joke's getting stale.

OMG, HE IS WAVEDASHING.
That or he was running SO FAST, when he stopped, he slid far.
QFT.

By the shear size of him, as well as his apparent role in the plot, I'd say it's more likely that he's just an adventure mode boss than a fully playable character.
I'm pretty sure they have a SIZE MODIFIER for the game like in melee. You fought a 30foot kirby in melee, who had the same moveset as the playable one. And any references to what he did in the cutscene not be viable for a playable character, IT'S A CUTSCENE. He probally has a B move that turns people into stone, kinda how mewtwo can daze people and jigglypuff can sleep people.

Did you hear me?
When Petey clanged the cages, Peach and Zelda turned back to stone, perhaps to save them for Petey's master, to use them later...
Good catch on them turning to stone.

it is infact petey that shoots the cannon ball at mario
Good catch/tracing.

1.It's heavier then Bowser. Bowser is confirmed to be the heaviest character in the game. Ooooo they have weights listed somewhere?!

2.It's holding two characters in a cage while about ready to fight another. Cutscene

3.That one attack smacked one guy a billion miles away. Cutscene, probally has a range attack if anything, but not broken like its CUTSCENE

4.It's too big. It's like 20 to 30 feet tall big, and the tallest PC before that was G'dorf at about 8 or 9 feet tall [along with Bowser and DK]. There were HUGE character in adventure mode melee, it's call a SIZE MODIFIER
Petey?
EPIC.
Kirby vs. Petey?
****ING EPIC
****ING RIGHT!

Can't wait ^_^

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
If Petey is working with the Subspace Army, who else could be?
answer...EVERYONE!!!
Petey?
EPIC.
Kirby vs. Petey?
****ING EPIC
LOL ****ing classic

I smell a new heavy type for brawl
ehh....i doubt it. His head is too big

When you think about it, thats really the only way it could work. Because it wouldnt really make sense to play, oh I dont know, Peach, and then fight petey after this cutscene. And also, say if you wanted to play link, it wouldnt be logical if he were to just be fighting petey after he wasnt even in the cutscene!

I think that this is actually a cutscene from kirby's adventure mode because it looks like kirby is going to be the one who is actually fighting! omg!
i think your going to end up using everyone at one point or another

Sky-Kitsune

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't mind Petey becoming an At. He could spit out a fair amount of his brownish goo all over the stage which could make characters slip up.

Awsome movie anyway. =D

Revven

FrankerZ
I find it fascinating that some of the people in this thread seemed to have already played the game to know that Petey is playable or not. There aren't any rules for size and what not as far as I remember that determines a character coming into Brawl. Petey isn't that big at all and when you compare him to his other appearances, he's roughly the same size as those appearances. I don't see it out there as him being a playable character, he'll just be hard to kill. I don't see how size matters at all, in fact, where was this ever even a rule stated from Sakurai that a character had to be a certain height to be in the game? A bit ridiculous if you ask me.

Also, for those spouting that if he isn't playable and could be Gamesharked/Action Replay'd that's not going to happen. There isn't an AR yet, the original placeholder date was Aug 15th and then got pushed back to the next placeholder date of Feb 1 2008. I doubt we'll be getting one at all because the Wii's recent firmware update blocked all GCN ARs and Freeloaders. Also, there's no homebrew software to hack Wii like there was for GCN and there'd need to be an AR in order for there to be a Debug in order to play as NPCs. All I'm saying is, it won't happen, it's not going to. Don't get your hopes up for a Debug Menu for Brawl.

Anyway, I liked this update aside from people claiming Petey to be too big to be playable. Hopefully, this week's character update confirms whether or not he's apart of the Marioverse or his own verse (icon I mean) because this would determine if Bowser Jr. will appear or not. I hope Bowser Jr. does appear though, if not...**** that'll suck.

In short, there aren't any rules that determines a character's appearance in Brawl that have been said by Sakurai (IIRC) it's just made up by fans who try to find ways to not include a character. Based off of Pokémon Trainer I think any character can get into Brawl at this point. Even Petey Piranha, so stop saying he won't be playable just because of his size.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
MY MAINS ARE CAPTURED YET AGAIN.
THIS WASN'T SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN THIS TIME AROUND.

Anyhow, when that dreadfully rude Petey Piranah fiercely bashed the two cages together, both ladies became completely colorless...

EDIT:

Ooh the cages have little parrot heads on top.
Does anyone recognize these?

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
I'm sick of people already bashing my boy Petey. The fact of the matter is, he works.
He's got cannonballs, he's got paint, and he's got size and power. He is no bigger than Bowser himself, and frankly, I think he'll be a good addition.

ness4life

Smash Journeyman
In the apartment next to Sakurai. Friday is Pizza
I don't think he's a playable character. To me, that makes just as much sense as calling the Ancient Minister (crappy name BTW) a playable character. Petey'll probably just be a boss. Like Ridley (even though I want him in SOOO BAADDD)

*EDIT*

Am I the only one that noticed that in one of the screenshots in the Subspace Emissary section Mario is kicking on of the Primals in the Stadium? I thought he was blasted past the horizon by Petey. I guess he made it back before 3 minutes were up. Any other ideas?

WR3K

Smash Ace
this week is starting to may be what is the best update week ever

my main link is revealing his moves only x10 awesomeness this time around

and now we got a new little video and more info on adventure mode

CROSSES FINGERS FOR TP GANONDORF TO BE ANOUNCED

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
*sigh*

1) Petey is very likely to be playable. In the same way you faced "Giant ____" in Classic Mode of Melee.
2) Petey is the one who shoots Mario - do you not know what Petey Piranha is capable of?
3) Mario did not Wavedash. It was a slide due to a change in momentum (Impulse). This is obvious.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
So, what is that? They'll make an entire character design and moveset for just a boss?
That confirms my theory that makin a character now takes so low time that they have already a giant host and have time for making such things..

Edit: Wooo i'm going to play skull kid with cheats lalalala

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
I find it fascinating that some of the people in this thread seemed to have already played the game to know that Petey is playable or not. There aren't any rules for size and what not as far as I remember that determines a character coming into Brawl. Petey isn't that big at all and when you compare him to his other appearances, he's roughly the same size as those appearances. I don't see it out there as him being a playable character, he'll just be hard to kill. I don't see how size matters at all, in fact, where was this ever even a rule stated from Sakurai that a character had to be a certain height to be in the game? A bit ridiculous if you ask me.

Also, for those spouting that if he isn't playable and could be Gamesharked/Action Replay'd that's not going to happen. There isn't an AR yet, the original placeholder date was Aug 15th and then got pushed back to the next placeholder date of Feb 1 2008. I doubt we'll be getting one at all because the Wii's recent firmware update blocked all GCN ARs and Freeloaders. Also, there's no homebrew software to hack Wii like there was for GCN and there'd need to be an AR in order for there to be a Debug in order to play as NPCs. All I'm saying is, it won't happen, it's not going to. Don't get your hopes up for a Debug Menu for Brawl.

Anyway, I liked this update aside from people claiming Petey to be too big to be playable. Hopefully, this week's character update confirms whether or not he's apart of the Marioverse or his own verse (icon I mean) because this would determine if Bowser Jr. will appear or not. I hope Bowser Jr. does appear though, if not...**** that'll suck.

In short, there aren't any rules that determines a character's appearance in Brawl that have been said by Sakurai (IIRC) it's just made up by fans who try to find ways to not include a character. Based off of Pokémon Trainer I think any character can get into Brawl at this point. Even Petey Piranha, so stop saying he won't be playable just because of his size.
Actually there is rules for size. Sakurai confirmed bowser as the biggest an heaviest playable character.

Top Bottom