• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Be patient and bair a lot. Don't get greedy for hits and keep shielding all he throws at you... Keep the shield up when he pressures with projectiles and jabs.
No need to worry about his grab

As long as you don't land in front of him

Razor

Smash Journeyman
Puff's entire design as a character counters Sheik's D-smash.

Like, seriously. How can someone have problems with that move as Jigglypuff? Her duck beats it by trading, at worst, 19% for 17%, momentum, and a possible edgeguard. Her shield ***** it because of automatic Bair or Fair out of shield, and sometimes even shield grab. Sometimes you can actually Rest her for D-smashing your shield if only the first hit connects. You can just clean beat it with Bair. You're usually too high to be hit by it, or crouching in the matchup.

D-smash is complete trash against Puff.

The only time it's good is when they Nair approach at low percent when it won't knock over.
yea thats what i thought too..."Bro". :laugh: but seriously, i feel like its just gay sometimes. like, if the shiek just looks like shes going to grab you, they dsmash instead. and instead of dsmash, they mix it up with the grab cuz i'm shielding. the dsmash can only do so much, but all i seem to get out of it is a weak fair. usually i'm pushed away to get a grab or rest:ohwell:

idea

Smash Master
even jigglypuff's roll is gay. it's slow but she can duck immediately afterward and other people don't always pick up on that. i like her ledge getup attack too.

against link...avoid projectiles and make stuff up as you go =P

watch out for his uptilt when he lands behind your shield, links will do that.

i asked sliq how to edgeguard link once, and he said to grab the edge and fall off with reverse fair.

rason110290

Smash Apprentice
Hbox called me bro :3

Alright. L-Canceling is my Main problem right now.

Gotta find a friend to lend me a copy of smash and a memory card. One problem that i might have is that i cant normally tell the difference between a L canceled vs non L canceled aerial. Whats the laggiest aerial i can do with puff to have a noticeable difference.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Hbox called me bro :3

Alright. L-Canceling is my Main problem right now.

Gotta find a friend to lend me a copy of smash and a memory card. One problem that i might have is that i cant normally tell the difference between a L canceled vs non L canceled aerial. Whats the laggiest aerial i can do with puff to have a noticeable difference.

After you land an aerial try and dash right after. If there is little time between landing and dashing you probably l canceled.

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
i agree, even if i'm just doing it for the sake of it. especially ledgehop fair onto stage then DI back so it ledgecancels and autograb ledge. it's fun to do over and over.

dudutsai

Smash Lord
Among the most common
Can't duck: Fox, Falco, Marth's Dash Grab*, ICs

Can duck: Sheik, Marth, Falcon

*You can make Marth miss the grab because the first few frames of crouch make her even lower than normal

Not sure about Peach, but you should never duck vs Peach anyway

Tamoo

Smash Master
peach has like one of the highest grabs, pichu's jab is too low for her grab lol

but yeah, don't crouch there :D

Umm there was actually a list here in the jiggs discussion, if you set the page to show all threads, you can probably find it, was in the last couple of months or so

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
If you can get a consistent edge cancel Fair, I would go for an edge cancel Dair -> another Aerial -> ****. Like for edgeguarding, edge cancel Dair facing off the stage -> Jump quickly Bair so that you don't turn around -> grab edge. Raaaaape

idea

Smash Master
- it's expensive
- i feel like i could spend the money better, because
- i already went to two big US tournaments, so i feel like i've had that experience already, y'know?
- i wouldn't be able to stay with the people i know best in EC canada

i'd still like to go to bigger tourneys, but only if they're closer and stuff.

rason110290

Smash Apprentice
So i can get L canceling a good amount of the time during practice. But is L canceling something about Muscle memory or is it a habit?

Gosh trying to practice L canceling against Cpus is hard. It's pretty hard to determine whether im canceling or not.

GSUB

Smash Lord
It's muscle memory when short hopping usually, but after random attacks from the air, you have to remember to l-cancel.

Try doing a Full-hop with two bairs in it, and l-cancel, then do it again, if it's l-canceled, it should be considerably quicker.

idea

Smash Master
also you might wanna practice l-canceling vs. a cpu after giving them a star. when you hit someone's shield, the timing is a little different, but that difference is the same if they have a star so you can get used to it that way.

idea

Smash Master
eh, whenever i play jiggs now, i'll find some flaw in my gameplay...and invariably it's like "crouch more, wait more, fair moving backward instead of forward"...i might secondary puff and main a fastfaller and just suck for a while till i get used to it. i have been playing fox/falco/falcon in friendlies for a while now anyway...

GSUB

Smash Lord
Ummmm, or learn to play more aggressive??? I know it's harder, but it's well worth it. Look at Kingggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg. Too good.

Same here Tamoo, I've always secondary'd Peach n_n

also, @idea: even if you main another character, it won't matter; you'll soon learn how gay all characters have to play to win, it's not just puff.

idea

Smash Master
but if i'm falcon it'll be more awesome =P

also, in a way, i don't want to make it so unfun for other people.

but yeah, i'm just thinking about it is all.

P.S. you try playing more aggressive against kirbykaze's sheik <_<

GSUB

Smash Lord
kay, I'll try, lol.

If you're in doubt, just think to yourself, "Well, mango's puff would OBVIOUSLY win, so there must be SOMETHING i can do, and not play gay while doing it."

There's a lot of mind games on Sheik you can use that just won't appear to you, or even seem possible, it takes time.

(And Falcon plays pretty gay too, watch Falcons. They mostly just run around the stage, avoiding you, and platform camping/wavelanding, and only coming in when you make a mistake/they have an opening)

idea

Smash Master
i know. don't worry, i've already thought about all that stuff.

i'm just not sure playing puff would be the most fun for me anymore. my goal is always to maximize the amount of fun i'm having, and usually that involves playing jigglypuff, but if that changes i have to look into it.

also, mango is much better than me overall...he would beat kirbykaze with other characters too. except maybe falcon <_<. so that might not be "get better with puff" so much as "get better overall" which i can certainly do without puff.

Tamoo

Smash Master
Idea: soooo true, I actually really enjoy playing against puffs but since im like one of the best in the country, the others are a bit of a step down so i just wreck them with falcon or sumthing :/
But playing against a good jiggs is soooo boringly hard, learnt that against fuzzy :s

dudutsai

Smash Lord
I think puff dittos are fun. Everyone has a gay trick that is easy to learn and use against bad puffs, but puff dittos are a true test of wits. Didn't used to think so, but Vanz taught me this at ROM2

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
Idea, I have the same thing. Exact same thing. I tried Falco, too, but I like Ganon more. I used to second Falco/Ganon, so now I think I second just Puff, and main Ganon. I've been working on Ganon for a while (before I heard of Kage lol, just so you know).

Meverse

Smash Cadet
Idea, I have the same thing. Exact same thing. I tried Falco, too, but I like Ganon more. I used to second Falco/Ganon, so now I think I second just Puff, and main Ganon. I've been working on Ganon for a while (before I heard of Kage lol, just so you know).
y? puff is more annoying then ganon lol but yah, ganon's hella fun 2 play w/ :D

idea

Smash Master
i probably will just watch more king videos and copy him more closely =P to clarify, i actually play TOO aggressively and sometimes have to remind myself not to be attacking at all times.

or maybe i should ask darc. hi darc =) you play fox and stuff. wanna explain the ditto to me? from a jiggs main's perspective?

GSUB

Smash Lord
I understand Mango now, and about Hungrybox.

Because I hate other jiggs mains too. Like REALLY hate them.
Unless I know they're cool, or they'll never get good. The exception is Judd so far, that guy is cool (oh an Psychomidget). Other than that I HATE 'EM!

Razor

Smash Journeyman
so, after watching hb vs amsah...
does jiggs officially **** sheik? :)
i wish :( but puff definitely does well against sheik. i honestly thought amsah was like playing blind, he had nnnnnooooooo clue how to do that matchup.

when hbox missed like 5 open rests, i thought that amsah was goign to turn into zelda and charge fsmash him to death. the sheiks i play do that and it's super super strong. if he did that, that might have changed the final stock count.

and did hbox vs Mew2King get recorded? I heard it was close

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
when hbox missed like 5 open rests, i thought that amsah was goign to turn into zelda and charge fsmash him to death. the sheiks i play do that and it's super super strong. if he did that, that might have changed the final stock count.
If Hungrybox holds "down", the F-smash fails unless it's version 1.0. Amsah also gets Rested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom