• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Stuff About Puff

Status
Not open for further replies.

idea

Smash Master
uptilt works well on fastfallers too. really well actually. it cuts through some of falcon's moves, stupidly enough. and if you can't get grabs in on spacies you can try going for uptilts in creative ways...usually after using another aerial to approach them, and in a way that they won't hit you right after. like say, falling upair, and when it hits their shield, uptilt. either that'll hit their shield too or it'll get them before their grab comes out.

uptilt to rest is pretty easy on most characters, so if you can find a way to hit with it it's often a guaranteed rest. but not on marth, annoyingly enough. it only seems to work on low percents and if you hit with the low part of it on him. or something. it just won't work on marth. for floaties it only works at lowish percents...like on peach, if i had to guess, i'd say past 40% it isn't a combo anymore/too easy to DI out of.

fox players sit around thinking "i hope he does pound"...and when you do, they upsmash you. they start looking for it, it's so laggy. on the plus side it stays out longer than you'd think. meh.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
like say, falling upair, and when it hits their shield, uptilt. either that'll hit their shield too or it'll get them before their grab comes out.
huh?

Shield grab is alot faster than you think. If you uair a shield, it does barely any shield stun plus you have to lcancel THEN start up utilt's hitbox.

Shield grab would work so fast utilt wouldn't even have time to start up. (frame wise)

idea

Smash Master
<_< YOU'RE the one who told me to do that.

i think i confused myself though. i meant to upair and land behind them, but then obviously they can't shieldgrab you. it does work though, i swear =P it's just more of a tricky thing than something to rely on.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
hey thanks and i do know how to combo i just wanted to know what moves you l cancel (it was told to me ,all) but does j-puff need to wavedash like ever because i main IC"s and i am use to wavedashing into a grab or something and wasn't it j-puff that invented rapeing hard in smash

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
hey thanks and i do know how to combo i just wanted to know what moves you l cancel (it was told to me ,all) but does j-puff need to wavedash like ever because i main IC"s and i am use to wavedashing into a grab or something and wasn't it j-puff that invented rapeing hard in smash
wavedash isn't as necessary...but it sometimes helps with spacing.

You just have to figure out how to approach comfortably.

I do nairs and fairs on spacies, and bairs to most of the other cast.

Do not approach with Pound. I leanred that the hard way :(

Binx

Smash Master
More nair, definitely use more nair, my puff was terrible until I started doing short hopped nairs through people, mixed with fairs and bairs, lets you open up grabs, actually makes puff feel threatening.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
so i can't use pound use an attack and does the dair rest really work? and binx is j-puff better for marth than ice climbers and pichu? (yes i know pichu sucks)

tickytoc

Smash Apprentice
dair to rest is way to hard. i would suggest you never use that in a match. but if you get the l-cancel on the dair then it leads to a grab. if you really want to learn puff i suggest you watch videos on youtube of mango hbox and king. thats how everyone learns the best i thnk

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
Not in terms of watching vids though.

Considering my only vid is me getting ***** by KDJ like a year ago LOL.

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
Well that's because I have the lava to save me LOL. It's a no risk situation. Either I kill him or I take %15

idea

Smash Master
i'd be LR then. rest all dai, and such.

^i imagine conservative is easier...and overall probably the best way to play the character. my way's more fun though.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Unless you're really good, like 90% rest accuracy good, I'd just play conservatively (aka smart). In most situations a whiffed rest basically means a lost stock.

PB&J

Smash Hero
playing conservative is not always the best way to play ..i think when u play risky you get a better reward...so yeah..hbox is really good though and he reacts to the player these days..as of in the past he just camped,but now he is switching it up...

oh and if darc wants to be on the list tell him to go to other tournies that are not in his state..and i know he is good but traveling counts

Binx

Smash Master
Mango, your puff *****,

I was watching a vid of you

against PC Chris' Peach

You're a mindgame.

10nosiginfractions

idea

Smash Master
^ vids?

risky and aggressive works on some people, patient and conservative works on others. i don't really see a pattern either...sometimes on aggressive players you have to counter their offense with even more offense, and sometimes it's better to watch while they make themselves vulnerable.

lol i don't represent this way of thinking very well in actual matches though

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
against peach you play LR.

fox is con w/ grabs and such, as is falco (in my opinion)

Bair spam works good against IC's, though I'm sure a rest would be handee.

Marth...well I have my own style against him :). Its con + crouch rest. (conLR)

CF is tricky, but I think con works better against him.

Against puff its a politcal debate.

Bowser/DK should be played with good spacing (lotta bairs) and early rests.

Shiek is MAJOR LR. Rest that ***** EVERYDAY.

Link can be approached with good bairs, but make sur eyou get an early rest.

Samus is usually LR.

Mewtwo is con. Bairs ****.

G&W is LR for the most part.

Zelda is LR.

Well actually low-tiers can go either way...

But ganon is actually really eays to rest and edgeguard, so he's a mix.

Mario can go either way as well.

Luigi - i really have no clue.

Brawl4Lyfe

Smash Rookie
when i play against fox i like to rising pound their shield so i wind up behind them

useful?

like, the beginning of the pound hitbox hits their shield, and then

u can like

bair their shield or drift away without getting hurt

idea

Smash Master
i think most light characters would be either con, or "aggressive". you wouldn't have to be too careful vs. luigi, but you also can't rest him very much. so that's not really con or LR.

following that line of thought...bowser and dk make for such stupid matchups =P you can get rests so easily, it's really not fair at all.

when i play against fox i like to rising pound their shield so i wind up behind them

useful?

like, the beginning of the pound hitbox hits their shield, and then

u can like

bair their shield or drift away without getting hurt
the main problem with that is that you're using a slow move at very close range, against a fox. unless you were trolling or something. everything you say is potentially trolling with a name like that <_<

PB&J

Smash Hero
darc i know who u play with i know your beast dont get me wrong ..i was just saying top 3 puffs thats all..for what i seen,but m2k and jman told me recently you **** and i know u do..i was just saying tri state isnt the world...

-Darc-

Heir to the Monado
Whatever. I'm not going to argue the fact that I'm not as good as the other puffs because I'm not as good as them. It's just that you said I didn't travel.

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Darc is ****ing ridiculous. I wish people wouldve seen the **** he did to Jman at bullhead. <3 Jman but you got wrecked homie. Stop hating on my dude PB&J lmao. Maine is mad far away, the same way Florida would travel to like Georgia is like the same distance Maine would travel to CT/NY. I think, no map in front of me lol.

Edit-Darc is as good as those other Jigglypuffs

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I've read this whole thread and I officially have no life.

One thing no-one's mentioned that I think is freaking AWESOME is edge cancelled aerials, I was playing against my friend's M2 yesterday and I literally just god a percentage lead and then stayed at and edge doing B Airs ledgecancelled. It's a freaking wall. I also started experimenting on Yoshi's Story and it really just made me smoother and led me to getting some stuff I would never have gotten previously.

Anyone else experimented with this? I know Phanna used it.

*Edit* http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iiwh_4gH4CA&feature=related
1:31 - 1:50 ****

idea

Smash Master
^ what's also fun is edgecanceling aerials on both sides of a platform. it's really situational, but it can totally throw off your opponent if say, at the top of battlefield, you start fairing, edgecancel it on the left side of the platform, then bair back to the other side, etc.

Binx

Smash Master
stuff about resting different characters
What I see from good puffs, is a lot of campy camping, with no aggression, mixed in with even more camping, and then once you have a sizable lead expanding it by resting lots.

On the flipside of the coin if they get a lead and camp you back then it still seems like your mostly going for rests to catch up because they are ahead by 80%

There are some characters, like captain falcon who punish rest really severely and are easy enough to combo and edgeguard and you don't need to rest them, but I think in most cases if you are good enough its safe to use rest. Although Mango does some that seem risky to me out of tech chases =)

idea

Smash Master
although, on some of the slower falcons, rest works wonders. uptilt rest usually works even up near 100%, and it can magically cut through things like falcon's dair or raptor boost. those don't happen that often but when they do...it must be pretty demoralizing for the falcon =P

also nair leads well into uptilt, and it's not hard to hit falcon with a nair.

add that to how easily you can gimp him and i'm not sure why i keep losing to falcons =(

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
His legs are longer? And his Fair is surprisingly good for killing you?

edit: His ability to run back and forth is also rather scary.

idea

Smash Master
i guess the ones i play are just really good at forcing me into shield. mostly i'm talking about raynex here, most other falcons give me less trouble cause they can't do enough to keep up with the rests. also i'm told i shield too often and i agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom