• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Striking Back! (Mewtwo Social)

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
I'd be OK with that if it meant Disable had enough range to actually be useful. I literally never used that move in serious matches since it was rarely ever a better option than... basically any other move.

godogod

Smash Ace
I'd be OK with that if it meant Disable had enough range to actually be useful. I literally never used that move in serious matches since it was rarely ever a better option than... basically any other move.
I've seen it a few times in smash 4 matches. More often than counter.. lol

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Looks like Mewtwo will be the last character to be shown off on the blog before release. Mewtwo never shows up on time. lol

Couldn't you get off an easy Disable in Wii U off of a Jab 1?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yo what is this implying you can do that in ultimate?
Nothing has been tested yet. I was talking about Wii U/3DS Mewtwo.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Somebody test it
OK

Messing around against a ZSS in training mode and she can get away almost every time after Jab1 before I can pull off a Disable. Jab1 > Dtilt is a lot faster and more reliable, but still doesn't seem like a true combo.

Checking Kurogane:
(Attacks | Hitbox Active | FAF)
Jab 1 | 6 | 25
Dtilt | 6-7 | 21
Disable | 16-22 | 48

Disable has a full 10 frames more startup than Dtilt which is the same 6 frames as Jab1 and Jab2, which makes me think Jab1 > Dtilt should be a true combo. Maybe I'm just not executing it fast enough for the Training Combo counter to register it. So yeah, Disable after Jab1 might be a good mixup, but I'm not seeing the value over Jab2 and the rabid jab finisher, or Dtilt to set up a combo or aerial string. Maybe at higher percents the Disable stun will be worth it.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
OK

Messing around against a ZSS in training mode and she can get away almost every time after Jab1 before I can pull off a Disable. Jab1 > Dtilt is a lot faster and more reliable, but still doesn't seem like a true combo.

Checking Kurogane:
(Attacks | Hitbox Active | FAF)
Jab 1 | 6 | 25
Dtilt | 6-7 | 21
Disable | 16-22 | 48

Disable has a full 10 frames more startup than Dtilt which is the same 6 frames as Jab1 and Jab2, which makes me think Jab1 > Dtilt should be a true combo. Maybe I'm just not executing it fast enough for the Training Combo counter to register it. So yeah, Disable after Jab1 might be a good mixup, but I'm not seeing the value over Jab2 and the rabid jab finisher, or Dtilt to set up a combo or aerial string. Maybe at higher percents the Disable stun will be worth it.
Ech that really sucks..
You mind testing some stupidity from ff fair or nair? See what you can discover?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's almost time for release, so I started on updating the sub-forum. I'll update the thread OP over the next couple of days.

Let me know if there is a active Mewtwo Discord and I'll add it to the OP. Please keep in mind, however, there is no Smashboards directly sponsored Discord chat room. We have no control over what happens on other sites and reserve the right to hand out advertising infractions.

I promise there will be less Spoon Swords this time around. Maybe. Probably.

Last edited:

LoveGame

Master of the Disco Stick
NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Using my favorite Brawl character to unlock my favorite Melee character? Whoah...

godogod

Smash Ace
Anyone unlock Mewtwo yet?

-Would like to see how much stronger are his back and up throws are compared to 4
-if down throw really combos at mid percents
-and if he still has that crazy range on disable

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Anyone unlock Mewtwo yet?

-Would like to see how much stronger are his back and up throws are compared to 4
-if down throw really combos at mid percents
-and if he still has that crazy range on disable
-Throws are significantly more potent
-Down throw reliably combos at low to mid percent
-Disable range almost doubled from Smash 4, hits small characters now

godogod

Smash Ace
-Throws are significantly more potent
-Down throw reliably combos at low to mid percent
-Disable range almost doubled from Smash 4, hits small characters now
Crazy to think we are getting the best of both worlds from melee and smash 4. I still haven't unlocked him yet. Just how much earlier does his up and backthrow kill compared to Smash 4?

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Crazy to think we are getting the best of both worlds from melee and smash 4. I still haven't unlocked him yet. Just how much earlier does his up and backthrow kill compared to Smash 4?
Will have to do some testing. All i know is that ive been killing with then a lot earlier, and its been documented by the smash wiki that its power has been increased as well.

Downshift

Smash Journeyman
Got Mewtwo on my first Classic Mode run with Wolf, but it took awhile to get Wolf in the first place so I think there's probably a faster method.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
While I would have liked to get them sooner during my unlock run, it’s rather fitting that Mewtwo and Wolf (and Dark Samus out of the Metroid characters) ended up being my last characters, like in Melee and Brawl. While it’s possible to get any particular one sooner through a particular method, I guess I was just happy unlocking most of my roster as Ridley that I didn’t care about the order too much, but still.

Mewtwo’s classic mode is a bit more challenging than the others,
since he fights both Hands at the end, and I was rusty.

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Finally got the psychic kitty last night. He made me work for it - I lost *three* times to Falco and didn't understand how to get the rematch thing to appear consistently. Someone said 10 minutes, but I watched a whole episode of Jojo and when I came back it still wasn't there. Finally beat his feathery tail with Pikachu. So the unlock path is Peach>Falco>Wolf>Mewtwo>Bayonetta so far.

As expected, I'm loving Mewtwo. Still gotta shake off the rust, as I seem to be doing better with Wolf overall. I knew they'd be my top 2 from the get go, tbh!

NualphaJPN

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, JPN Mewtwo main here.

So after thorough testing with Mewtwo's throws, as people stated earlier, his down throw can combo into short hop fair, and ftilt at low percents.

0-10% - D-throw > F-tilt
0-10% - D-throw - SH fair (timing is a bit more precise)
0-10% - D-throw > SH Fair > dtilt > Fair
20% - D-throw >SH fair > SH fair (enemy will bounce off the ground if well timed, allowing you to follow up with jab strings for 12 hit combo)
30% - D-throw > Up air > Up air
30% - D throw > Up air > Bair

There's plenty of ways to combo, these are just a few. I have more combos at higher percents, but mostly consist of fair, bair setups into Plasma/Shadow Ball.

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
I haven't unlocked Mewtwo yet, and I'm a bit nervous and excited to, when I do. Man Mewtwo has come a long way from Melee. From being one of the worst with a broken moveset to being mid and then high tier in smash 4 and ultimate

It's good to hear that his up tilt and back air properly connects behind now, and forward tilt and down throw actually being useful (latter comboing like melee)... I can deal with damage nerfs to back and neutral air, but I'm bummed about hearing nerfs for shadowball and confusion... And hoping down tilt's
s start up isn't too bad. Shadow ball was one of my favorite kill confirms, and less damage = less knock back as well. Not to mention it's smaller now. I will miss confusion as a recovery option and a mix up in the air too.

How much does his shadow ball do anyway in solo and team? I'm assuming his forward aerial does less damage too?

As a bonus, his disable getting a 2x range buff sounds crazy.. and asking for a patch. Can't wait to try it out! I wonder of the stun duration is the same as smash 4.

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I haven't unlocked Mewtwo yet, and I'm a bit nervous and excited to, when I do. Man Mewtwo has come a long way from Melee. From being one of the worst with a broken moveset to being mid and then high tier in smash 4 and ultimate

It's good to hear that his up tilt and back air properly connects behind now, and forward tilt and down throw actually being useful (latter comboing like melee)... I can deal with damage nerfs to back and neutral air, but I'm bummed about hearing nerfs for shadowball and confusion... And hoping down tilt's
s start up isn't too bad. Shadow ball was one of my favorite kill confirms, and less damage = less knock back as well. Not to mention it's smaller now. I will miss confusion as a recovery option and a mix up in the air too.

How much does his shadow ball do anyway in solo and team? I'm assuming his forward aerial does less damage too?

As a bonus, his disable getting a 2x range buff sounds crazy.. and asking for a patch. Can't wait to try it out! I wonder of the stun duration is the same as smash 4.
Dude, worry not! Shadow Ball is still busted, and does 30% in solo play. Yeah, confusion as a recovery move is nerfed, but the move actually lets Mewtwo true combo after it! Foward tilt is an incredible spacing move with kill potential, down tilt is still an incredible combo starter, and can be used instantly out of a dash! All aerials are faster, fair has a bigger hitbox, and up air has a bigger sweet spot. Also,don’t even get me started on his new jab. Mewtwo has just gotten SO many substantial buffs that these slight nerfs mean NOTHING. Can’t wait for you to see what I mean!

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
I didn't get to play Mewtwo until a few hours ago (one of my last unlocks, only before Palutena and Bowser Jr.) but I'm glad did it. This reminds of me when I watched the initial E3 trailer, after Mewtwo being cut, then missing the next game again before being brought back as DLC, I really wanted it to come to the base game again and it was such a relief when it was shown alongside Meta Knight. Anyway, it's still the swift psychic powerhouse from Smash 4, so I'm happy to play as one of my favorite characters once again and having fun with the moveset. Forward air and down air still feel very satisfying to use and to kill opponents with.

As Mewtwo was one of the characters I looked the most forward I did its classic mode very soon after the unlock, and I'd say theme-wise it's my favorite classic mode so far.
First you start against Ness and Lucas, pretty expected stuff, the psychic powerhouse VS the psychic boys, makes sense. Then next fight you're against Cloud with Lucas as your ally with a Mother music playing. I was confused, what was it supposed to mean? Somehow I befriended Lucas and the fight against Cloud is supposed to reference a part of Mother 3's story or what? Next fight you're against Ryu and Ken with Cloud as your ally and when I heard the Final Fantasy music I immediately understood what this classic run was about. In fact, it represents Mewtwo taking control of the defeated fighter's mind. Oh wait, the character is turned to a dark alt, so another interpretation is that your ally represents a clone of a defeated fighter, similar to the first Pokémon movie; either that or being mind controlled turned the character dark.

Although gameplay wise I'm actually struggling, I consistently lose in the fifth fight against Pit and Palutena, the solid platforms makes easy to accumulate damage while failing to send the opponents to the blast zone, so late in the battle both you and the ooponent are full of damage and with the high difficulty combined with two enemies it's easy to get the fatal blow first. I'm still going to try this without spending gold.

rat.jpg

Smash Apprentice
Hey what is that little flying motion Mewtwo does when I jump in the air, it's like he's levitating really fast? Is it a glide or what because it's really cool and I want to master it because I like jumping when attacking

LoveGame

NNID
HanabiKawai
3DS FC
5129-1774-2334
Been trying out a few of the SH combos NualphaJPN NualphaJPN listed, really satisfying to land early-game.

I'm really glad I can sink my teeth into this game early on, as I missed out on so much regarding Smash 4. I hated the initial roster, Mewtwo was one of the worst characters when he released, and I had no realistic way of affording a Wii U anyway, so I never got to experience top 10 Mewtwo, but it seems like Ultimate Mewtwo built onto what was good about him in the first place! This is a great time to come outta retirement, to say the least. I've heard some people are having input lag issues, but having a wired setup like the GC adapter seems to mitigate this.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dude, worry not! Shadow Ball is still busted, and does 30% in solo play. Yeah, confusion as a recovery move is nerfed, but the move actually lets Mewtwo true combo after it! Foward tilt is an incredible spacing move with kill potential, down tilt is still an incredible combo starter, and can be used instantly out of a dash! All aerials are faster, fair has a bigger hitbox, and up air has a bigger sweet spot. Also,don’t even get me started on his new jab. Mewtwo has just gotten SO many substantial buffs that these slight nerfs mean NOTHING. Can’t wait for you to see what I mean!
This honestly. Plus increased weight and still awesome recovery in a game where recovery is nerfed hard. N Air seems buffed, F Smash is definitely buffed.. if he was Top Tier last time then he’s definitely Top Tier now as well.

iMalott

Smash Rookie
Been trying out a few of the SH combos NualphaJPN NualphaJPN listed, really satisfying to land early-game.
I'm not getting any of these combos showing in Training mode. Do they all happen to be hidden links that dont show up on combo meters? I've tried Diddy to Donkey Kong in terms of weight. I've tried buffering, dash grabbing, even dropped the speed down to 1/2. So far none of them are linking.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

This is kind of cool. It's not often to have TPCI be covering Japanese specific news.

I don't want to get up my hopes up, as the original movie had a lot of issues and the 16th movie was a tease, but I do hope this means the localization will be handled better. I wonder if Mewtwo's original VA or the Smash Wii U/3DS VA will be chosen?

Am betting on Mega Mewtwo X making an appearance and maybe Meltan; though hopefully neither will be shoehorned in.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

So is it just a 3D/CG remake of the first movie? Look forward to whatever changes still, however subtle (more modern Pokemon in the background, etc).

Oh, and happy new year.

Last edited:

Ghidorah14

Smash Ace
So how many of you have tried incorporating the new disable into your gameplay? I’ve found it pretty usefu for catching people unawares and securing stocks. It’s definitely a “when the time calls for it” move. I found it good for people who like to whiff in your face, as well as running in, running out and turning around when they drop shield or get up from ledge.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I agree, new Disable's pretty great. I actually find myself using it with some degree of success in this game, which puts it miles above Smash 4 Disable in my book. It's really damn good to keep in your pocket like a fully charged SB and throw out in neutral to punish overzealous/greedy players.

Top Bottom