• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Striking Back! (Mewtwo Social)

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Yeah its just more of a personal preference thing Mewtwo Y is more popular so it makes sense too. But yeah I saw that list of the Wiki before Confusion was a great recovery I used so I hope it didn't get nerfed that much
Metwo still has that airspeed and teleport, that's well over enough to recover from pretty much anything aside from garbage like semi spikes like ganon's ftilt. Then you realize that mewtwo's double jump gives the highest distance upwards out of every double jump in the game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
It was nice to see Mewtwo standing with everyone despite his loner/ambiguous villain status.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I suppose, but there wasn’t much to it.

godogod

Smash Ace
I think he won't be a good matchup vs Kirby. Kirby being able to swallow projectiles, and get a health boost from that, is down right scary.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I think he won't be a good matchup vs Kirby. Kirby being able to swallow projectiles, and get a health boost from that, is down right scary.
lol I really REALLY hope you realize that mewtwo out ranges kirby, runs circles around him kills him at stupidly low percents and also can gimp his recovery insanely well its actually one of kirby's worst matchups in smash 4 and in ultimate thats not changing.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
As though eclipsing him in mobility and range doesn't mean anything... even the weight advantage isn't that significant.

marth_t90

Smash Cadet
As though eclipsing him in mobility and range doesn't mean anything... even the weight advantage isn't that significant.
let them off they proly j dont hav a understanding of what makes gd characters over others. im excited for them to find out how good mewtwo is :)

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Nair gimps
Bthrow kills WAY too early on a HEAVY, not even close to the ledge.
The movement is ridiculous Sonic is coming back
Nair is much better as a short hop option thank god using it out of a full hop was painful and let us get punished from below so damn easily if we missed and ssb4 nair out of a shorthop had way too long of a duration and landlag to use it as a good combo tool from a short hop
Hooray Mewtwo is legitimately broken
Also is it just me or does it look like nair has a huge range buff from smash 4?

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Nair gimps
Bthrow kills WAY too early on a HEAVY, not even close to the ledge.
The movement is ridiculous Sonic is coming back
Nair is much better as a short hop option thank god using it out of a full hop was painful and let us get punished from below so damn easily if we missed and ssb4 nair out of a shorthop had way too long of a duration and landlag to use it as a good combo tool from a short hop
Sweets and sours look about the same on the tail yes? Or am I not seeing something ?

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Sweets and sours look about the same on the tail yes? Or am I not seeing something ?
Ya it looks like there's no actual sour spots on his tail anymore which makes bair and uair so much more scary.
Does it seem like nair got a range buff to you? It looks that way to me...

Pakky

Smash Hero
Ya it looks like there's no actual sour spots on his tail anymore which makes bair and uair so much more scary.
Does it seem like nair got a range buff to you? It looks that way to me...
Yeah looks a lot easier to pull out and it seems to trap longer?

Which is amazing because I personally found it non-safe more times than not in Smash 4 but maybe that's just me.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Yeah looks a lot easier to pull out and it seems to trap longer?

Which is amazing because I personally found it non-safe more times than not in Smash 4 but maybe that's just me.
Well the little orbs in smash 4 made it so that all of mewtwo's head, and most of his body was actually easily targetted since nair's hitboxes were only on his hands and feet

I did a rough estimate on what nair could look like now:
Nair hitbox.png

red is the hitbox
I also did fair just because I was curious
Mewtwo fair hitbox.png

Pakky

Smash Hero
Well the little orbs in smash 4 made it so that all of mewtwo's head, and most of his body was actually easily targetted since nair's hitboxes were only on his hands and feet

I did a rough estimate on what nair could look like now:
View attachment 176687
red is the hitbox
I also did fair just because I was curious
View attachment 176688
WOAH Nelly!

Yes, he might just be top 5 and your right Fair's arc is super wide in Ultimate.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
WOAH Nelly!

Yes, he might just be top 5 and your right Fair's arc is super wide in Ultimate.
It was always stupidly good but it got major range buffs so it will probably be something like that. Do you know how much mewtwo benefits from the mechanic change? I know now with the airdodge change he suddenly became one of the best edgeguarders in the game but other than that its a mystery to myself.

Pakky

Smash Hero
It was always stupidly good but it got major range buffs so it will probably be something like that. Do you know how much mewtwo benefits from the mechanic change? I know now with the airdodge change he suddenly became one of the best edgeguarders in the game but other than that its a mystery to myself.
Sasly no, haven't gotten out to ply the demon myself but from watching vids of gameplay what you said i can believe to be true.

Also he doesn't seem to 'bounce' off of edges while recovering which is nice.

godogod

Smash Ace
That back throw killing falcon in the 90s% on a small stage. hmmm

Watch some of these get nerfed on day 1 patch. lol

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
That back throw killing falcon in the 90s% on a small stage. hmmm
What's worse is falcon is heavy
Sure rage did proc but its not like it would've made a whole load of a difference

I'm gonna make a topic on mewtwo's tier placement lol

EDIT: It is done.

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
smash wiki states mewtwo's up throw has more knockback.. do we know how much it kills now?

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
CD1BE65D-DF02-41A0-8BD7-7F78637E8EE5.jpeg

So much good from the “everyone is here” trailer.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
yeah I am so glad that trailers are really showing off Mewtwo not only this one but the world of light trailer as well (to bad he dies in that one....)

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
If we don't see some last minutes nerfs and adjustments before release day, then we'll probably see them happen via patches after release.

Mewtwo fared pretty well in Smash 4. As long as that keeps up here, I'll be more than content.

againiam

Smash Rookie
So um, is it just me or are Mewtwo's throws consistently doing 12-16% damage, not including pummel damage?
Well, 1v1 damage IS supposed to be 1.2x that of group matches. The percentages for most of his moves in 1v1 do look to be around 1.2x what he does in Smash 4. Shadow Ball got "nerfed" to do same % in 1v1s as it does in Smash 4, which is fair. Sakurai seems to place a high value on long range killing projectiles probably because of their effectiveness in 4 man FFA time matches (Samus has to be bad because Charge Shot exists, apparently).

godogod

Smash Ace
That's insane.. I wonder if the duration is just as long.
We're getting a day 1 patch(confirmed). I'm honestly expecting some nerfs for some characters.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
That's insane.. I wonder if the duration is just as long.
We're getting a day 1 patch(confirmed). I'm honestly expecting some nerfs for some characters.
Duration is significant. The range on the move is a few pixels longer than sweetspot F-smash. Don't think it's gonna get nerfed, nobody is playing this character.

godogod

Smash Ace
Duration is significant. The range on the move is a few pixels longer than sweetspot F-smash. Don't think it's gonna get nerfed, nobody is playing this character.
Mewtwo is one of the most popular high tier characters in tournaments. Dev team knows him well enough to nerf his down tilt and standard aerial for ultimate.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Do we know of any ridiculous mewtwo combo that can be pulled off? Akin to that wack 96% peach combo, and that other 74% peach combo, and that 84% falcon combo

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
:ultmewtwo: Mewtwo
Nair: 10 frames
Fair: 8 frames // landing at the end incurs 5 frames
Bair: 10 frames // landing at the end incurs 5 frames
Uair: 8 frames // landing at the end incurs 5 frames
Dair: 11 frames // landing at the end incurs 5 frames
Fullhop height: 2.5 stage units
Shorthop height: 1.6 stage units
Interesting Notes: So Confusion makes you go totally even with the opponent now frame-wise. If they don't have an aerial that comes out frame 4 they have to airdodge or they'll get hit with fair every time. Confusion midair sets up for fair every time, if the opponent 'guesses wrong' you can also do nair (which is frame 7 hitbox). Aerial confusion can hit grounded opponents, and it hits shielding opponents. Confusion has a bigger 'grab box' that is about 1.5 units in diameter, and it doesn't pull the opponent to the center, it just spins them where they are so you can space with it. Nair still drags down and has fixed knockback/combos into things. I was able to do the Abadango disable motion, but I have no proof whether or not its a true 'combo' anymore. You have to be facing the opponent's eyes to disable them. Nair has hitboxes that pop out or put the opponent behind Mewtwo but it is predictable after you practice for awhile. Teleport can still ledge cancel and the AI actually does this regularly for some reason. Mewtwo is quick and snappy like he was, except probably even faster. Dashback is a little too long to step-back reverse ftilt or dtilt but approaching/sliding dtilt feels pretty good, as well as reverse sliding uptilt. Mewtwo's head and tail are invincible during shield release. Mewtwo is fully invincible for frames 10-16 of disable, disable becomes active on frame 16. You can shorthop autocancel all aerials except nair. You can double jump (barely) after shorthop fair,bair, and uair.

The only reason confusion is even remotely fair is because airdodge away protects you from most followups unless Mewtwo guesses correctly and follows you, but you still just got free damage from the confusion.
Landing Lag Buffs
Nair 13 -> 10
Fair 14 -> 8
Bair 17 ->10
Uair 13 -> 8
Dair 18 -> 11

Top Bottom