• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Striking Back! (Mewtwo Social)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
How come absolutely NO ONE is using Mewtwo in tournaments?!
Two words: time investment. While I don't think Mewtwo's bad in this game, high-level players are naturally going to gravitate towards characters who can get consistent results with relatively little time investment, and Mewtwo's just not good enough in this game to justify how much dedication he requires to be consistent with.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
While SDX still fights the good fight as Mewtwo, the tail hitbox nerfing unfortunately wasn’t enough. The tail hurtbox still gives Mewtwo humiliating defeats, and the n-air not being quite what it used to be just neuters his combo potential to a point.

Still a fun secondary on occasion otherwise, but I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t still rough trying to get by as him.

Last edited:

Cheryl~

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1511-1076-9918
I think it's best that Mewtwo mains move on about SDX not using the character anymore since the sad truth is that he likely won't return to major events ever again and even if he did he's been using mostly Joker/Pokémon Trainer from the looks of it. However, there are a few other Mewtwo mains putting in work with the character, the most well-known being Zenkai from New York. He places pretty damn well with Mewtwo at their locals and considering how stacked NY is as a region it's pretty impressive I'd say. There's a Mewtwo player compendium for Glitch 7 happening as well so that event (happens in Janurary of next year) may be the event where Zenkai and the other Mewtwo mains get to shine and show what the character can do still.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I really don't follow Smash players, so someone like SDX dropping someone I like is really not going to have any effect on me. Most importantly, I will play a character as long as I can enjoy playing as them.

I also don't feel that his tail hurtbox is that much of problem for Mewtwo but I agree that the loss of utility of his Nair stings a bit. I can still play and win as him on a consistent basis. When played well, Mewtwo gives me the feeling of flowing water, dancing gracefully on the battlefield.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo is my favorite legendary pokemon and one of my Smash mains. It’s been so much fun using him in Smash 4 and succeeding. I still enjoy playing as Mewtwo, but he currently isn’t the exact same character. They need to give him some fixes such as improving the hitbox for his neautral aerial and decreasing his hurtbox. I want Mewtwo to feel incredible again like the powerful character he was before.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Mewtwo is my favorite legendary pokemon and one of my Smash mains. It’s been so much fun using him in Smash 4 and succeeding. I still enjoy playing as Mewtwo, but he currently isn’t the exact same character. They need to give him some fixes such as improving the hitbox for his neautral aerial and decreasing his hurtbox. I want Mewtwo to feel incredible again like the powerful character he was before.
What do hope this buff begging on your characters hopes to accomplish? The thing that made Mewtwo "incredible" (S4 airdodges) is never coming back, and with how one can only go so far in tweaking hit and hurtboxes the way they are now, will not convince anyone to seriously drop whatever they were doing before to pick up a different character at this stage, unless you make the character so ridiculous as to completely eclipse others. It's dumb design to have low endurance be a character's only weakness, because that arbitrarily gates the worth of players behind whether or not they're capable of playing the character that has everything.

It's largely the same deal with K. Rool; any reasonable buffs you could give won't realistically cause a noticeable shift in people training to use him in serious situations. I always expect nothing because the best case scenario won't change much in the grand scheme of things, and I don't need validation from representation to tell me I like playing and practicing a character. You are only setting yourself up for disappointment if you need buffs to enjoy a character and count on it.

Last edited:

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I will paraphrase on my thoughts on Mewtwo just for clarification, he is one of my favorite characters and regardless of how he is competitively isn’t going to change how much I use him in battle. My ideal hopes for Mewtwo wouldn’t ever equate to me being let down by whatever they do with him or his current viability. I will always find Mewtwo a good, fun, and viable character regardless of his strengths and weaknesses (he is still at least decently viable right now anyways).

K. Rool, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and others just got buffed in the recent patch. Developers know what they are doing, they are not trying to make anyone overpowered like certain characters were in Smash 4, they are only fixing characters that truly need it, making them actually viable and playable. I don’t care what shift there is in character usage, or which players are preferring whom for whatever certain battle situations or where YouTube experts in Smash rank characters in their tier lists. The point of making characters viable is not to have players struggle in uphill battles whatsoever, it doesn’t mean people will all of a sudden shift towards that character like all of a sudden he or she is the flavor of the week (there will be fans out there that are fixated on what characters are competitively “trending” in battle, I don’t group myself to these kind of fans because I have always stuck with my favorite characters in Smash since the Smash 64 days).

This team of Smash developers have given great devotion and effort to Smash Ultimate compared to its predecessor Smash 4. This roster is already greatly balanced more so than ever before, with only very few characters that seem not as viable as others. The developers always like to hear feedback from fans from time to time, hence one of the main reasons the Smash Ballot was created. Developers aren’t necessarily going to overly rely on fan opinion, but do keep their ears open for fans’ perspectives. The developers’ efforts in this game confirm why fans have a lot of faith and respect for them.

Last edited:

Cam_Batant

Smash Apprentice
I love the character but in my opinion he should weigh more(after all he weighs 269 pounds) I still main him, but the matches are only getting more difficult to win.
Edit I main pokemon trainer now...

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211